• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbarron

The bread came out very tasty with an open crumb. This one had a much stronger sourdough smell than the one that only rose for 5 hours.
15406361062_8f460bf62e_h.jpg

The stew came out good. I'd definitely recommend the recipe.
15220164107_43cc6da725_h.jpg

Sweet tooth just hit so I made a fancy sandwich. If anyone is interested in the recipe hit me up.
15406346752_bec993a22e_h.jpg

Sprinkle the Kosher Salt until you've lightly covered the whole thing in a light sprinkling. It shouldn't be edge to edge salt pretty much one coarse granule with a 1/4 inch radius around between it and others. It doesn't have to be exact at all, just trying to give you a good idea. I also don't measure the pepper or garlic. I just put a light coating on making sure I get everywhere. Probably a quarter to half teaspoon each if you wanted to measure. If you mean bake and not broil I'd do 450*F. Broil is usually automatcically 500.

For Simple Sear and Bake, how long do I leave the pan in the oven?

thespot84

For Simple Sear and Bake, how long do I leave the pan in the oven?

I don't steaks in the oven so I'm not sure on time but what i do know is the meat has to rest after cooking. Make a tent over the steak with foil to keep moisture in and let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting it.

thespot84

How hot should the steak be for medium rare?

inside temp would be 130-140F (55-60C). If you don't have a thermometer, try the thumb test:

1. touch the tip of your right thumb to the tip of your right index finger. with your other hand, press on the muscle under your right thumb. that's what a rare steak feels like.

2. move your thumb to your middle finger. press the muscle again. that's what a medium rare steak feels like

3. the feeling with your ring finger is medium, and with your pinky is medium-well to well done)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_(meat)
http://www.thekitchn.com/quick-tip-how-do-you-tell-when-44839

EDIT: i'm a fan of rare myself, but if you don't eat a lot of steak it may take a little getting used to. Medium rare is a good start.

zbarron

cooking a prime steak beyond medium rare is a sin :p
For a Filet perhaps with it's natural leanness and tenderness. A NY strip on the other hand with it's beautiful marbling benefits from a higher temperature melting the fat to add juiciness and flavor. Medium Rare is a fine choice if that's how you like your meat, but there's definitely a time and place for higher doneness levels. Not to mention he didn't state his preference and more people find Medium more agreeable than Medium Rare.

thespot84

For a Filet perhaps with it's natural leanness and tenderness. A NY strip on the other hand with it's beautiful marbling benefits from a higher temperature melting the fat to add juiciness and flavor. Medium Rare is a fine choice if that's how you like your meat, but there's definitely a time and place for higher doneness levels. Not to mention he didn't state his preference and more people find Medium more agreeable than Medium Rare.

what can I say, i'm a purist

Question about the spoon and the butter method. This takes 2 minutes after the butter is melted?

zbarron

Question about the spoon and the butter method. This takes 2 minutes after the butter is melted?

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html
Honestly I've only done that method with a much thinner steak but this guide should give you all the information you need. I'd probably say over 2 minnutes but just be sure to get a good crust first and then use the thermometer and see how much more you need to hit 130-140*F for Medium Rare or 140-150*F for Medium.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html
Honestly I've only done that method with a much thinner steak but this guide should give you all the information you need. I'd probably say over 2 minnutes but just be sure to get a good crust first and then use the thermometer and see how much more you need to hit 130-140*F for Medium Rare or 140-150*F for Medium.

You didn't mention any olive oil in Spoon and Butter method. Just butter is all I need? My prime strip is already seasoned from last night.

zbarron

You didn't mention any olive oil in Spoon and Butter method. Just butter is all I need? My prime strip is already seasoned from last night.

Honestly I'd trust what he says over me. I just gave you the directions by memory. This man is an expert. I've yet to follow his advice and been worse off.

Made the Birthday Layer Cake from the Milk Cookbook. Slowly knocking out each recipe on that book.

63BDF067-18D3-4798-B9AB-1DCA3913ED21_zpsdkzmlvly.jpg

Are you kidding me? Someone should pay you for this. Looks profesh!

My first time making pesto out of almonds, but tasted pretty good. I also used some tomato sauce that my husband made the week before and the last of our garden basil. Doesn't photograph too well thought.

What sides would you recommend with the New York Strip? I'm going to pan it in a few hours.

thespot84

What sides would you recommend with the New York Strip? I'm going to pan it in a few hours.

broccoli (steamed and served with butter and parmesan cheese)
baked potato with all the fix'ins
pretty much any veggies, like asparagus, sauteed green beans, roasted cauliflower, etc.

go find your local steakhouse's menu and take a look lol. steak is pretty friendly when it comes to pairing.

zbarron

Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons

15414772355_9c9977a8b2_h.jpg

15228167458_c9856a026d_h.jpg

They're nothing fancy like that drool inducing cake but it was a quick easy and most importantly tasty recipe for a bake sale. Proceeds go to scholarships for local students.

I have to make a second batch later tonight.

thespot84

Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons

15414772355_9c9977a8b2_h.jpg

15228167458_c9856a026d_h.jpg

They're nothing fancy like that drool inducing cake but it was a quick easy and most importantly tasty recipe for a bake sale. Proceeds go to scholarships for local students.

I have to make a second batch later tonight.

made these for last passover, quick and easy and came out great. looks awesome!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I made Beef Bourguignon, but my beef turned out to be extremely tough. I simmered it long enough to break it down, but it's at that stage where instead of being tender and moist, it's just stringy and dry.

I must've messed up the browning or something, this is why I prefer to cook with fatty meats like lamb.

Yes Boss!

How hard was it? It's on my list.

Pretty straight-forward easier compared to some of the other layer cakes in it. I did do the vanilla cake twice since the first one sunk a bit too much in the middle on the 1/4 sheet pan. I think it was cause I mixed my salt with my eggs and butter first rather than second when adding the flour. I aslo doubled the frosting since Tosi seems to make just enough and to have and extra 30% gives you a lot more latitude on each layer (at the expense of throwing away a dollar's worth of frosting.

zbarron

made these for last passover, quick and easy and came out great. looks awesome!
Thanks. I was raised Jewish and ate them at passover a lot. My wife who was raised Christian came over for a Seder and someone brought homemade ones and she fell in love with them. She was even brave enough to try Gefilte fish but didn't exactly care for it.

S1MN8fCl.jpg

I made my steak! The results were disappointing. They claimed the steak had no taste.. Perhaps I didn't put enough butter for the basking, or I didn't put enough salt, pepper and garlic powder on the steak. The pan was on the stove for 3 minutes.

thespot84

S1MN8fCl.jpg

I made my steak! The results were disappointing. They claimed the steak had no taste.. Perhaps I didn't put enough butter for the basking, or I didn't put enough salt, pepper and garlic powder on the steak. The pan was on the stove for 3 minutes.

i'm surprised because it looks perfectly done in that picture.

zbarron

S1MN8fCl.jpg

Ouch. It looks beautiful. It's cooked perfectly and appears tender and juicy. Your guess is pretty much the same as my guess. The only thing possible to add more flavor is more seasoning. You'd think a rich steak like that cooked in butter would already have a rich flavor but I guess some people like a lot of spice. I don't think you needed more butter. Perhaps a higher heat or a little longer to get a darker crust but that wouldn't have that much impact on the overall flavor.

Definitely a fine attempt that you should be proud of. A failure is only so if you don't learn from it. Apply what went well and fix what didn't and next time it will be even better. Check out my baked Alaska 2 pages back. It's probably the ugliest thing in the thread but I learned from my many mistakes and now am whipping up beautiful tasty meringue desserts flawlessly every time.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
S1MN8fCl.jpg

Has to be not enough salt/pepper. A piece of meat can take more salt than most people would think to use. Like everyone else said, it looks like you cooked it to perfect temp.

Has to be not enough salt/pepper. A piece of meat can take more salt than most people would think to use. Like everyone else said, it looks like you cooked it to perfect temp.

+1 on what everyone else is saying. One thing that surprises me, no matter how long I've been cooking, is how much salt food can take before it tastes "right." Especially if you want that "restaurant taste" in your food. Don't be skimpy with the fats/oils and salt. I always think I put enough salt in, but it's usually never enough and I have to add more salt to it to finish.

What seasoning would go great with the New York Strip?

I just took a dump and I didn't have explosive diarrhea, so the I cooked it well enough.

I also flipped the steak every 15 seconds so the sides wouldn't burn. Also, the steak was cooked on listed expiration date and left out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking.

SummitAve

Banned
I just stick to salt and pepper for a steak. Even if under seasoned, it should have at least tasted like the meat. I think your issues are either in the piece of meat itself, or your guests have questionable taste.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

I also flipped the steak every 15 seconds so the sides wouldn't burn.
this was most likely the culprit. just turn it once and let it sear properly. the surface needs a longer exposition to heat to develop the characteristic taste and the tender crust. don't worry, the steak will not turn into charcoal immediately when you just leave it alone for a minute or two.
scientific explanation:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

Pepto

Banned
BPdHt8nl.jpg

Here's the New York Strip Steak Prime minutes before it's placed onto the pan.

Seasoned at 1am, taken out of fridge at 4:45pm and cooked at 6:45pm.

zbarron

Whether true or not the butter basting method should have taken care of the problem this technique attempts to solve. If we want to count every factor of the crust then we need to know what type of pan he is using and how hot he had it. I use a screaming hot cast iron skilllet which stores a ton of heat energy and makes for an amazing char.

I'm afraid I might have given bad advice in not telling threetri333 to heavily season it. There is a fair chance that a lot of the seasoning went into the butter. The main thing that makes me doubt this though is how long he let the steak sit with the seasoning. The salt should have drawn moisture to the surface "melting" the salt and then drew that moisture along with the flavor of all three seasonings deeper into the meat.

I wonder if the age of the meat was a contributing factor. It's still safe at the expiration date but not the freshest.

iavi

S1MN8fCl.jpg

Def the salt. It was always the thing I found people equated 'taste' to in steaks. The beef can take a shit ton of sodium, especially if it's being done in the pan. I still feel like I'm over salting at times.

It looks PERFECT otherwise

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've been wanting to make Indian dishes since it's something I'm mostly unfamiliar with; boyfriend is a fan, but pretty sure I've only had Indian once before this so I dunno how authentic it actually was, although all the standard spices and aromatics were present.

IMG_2202_zps6d8f4b06.jpg

Chicken thighs in kale and spinach saag with chana masala. Also made some fresh pita to sop up all the saag. Gonna give the NY Times' butter chicken recipe a shot soon.

cooking-GAF i need advice. I'm making tortilla soup but I fucked up and didn't buy corn tortillas at the store because I didn't realize you needed corn ones. So my options are hard taco shells which are corn, or flour tortillas. what do. I'd use the hard shells but like, would they dissolve?

cooking-GAF i need advice. I'm making tortilla soup but I fucked up and didn't buy corn tortillas at the store because I didn't realize you needed corn ones. So my options are hard taco shells which are corn, or flour tortillas. what do. I'd use the hard shells but like, would they dissolve?

I think the hard shells would work out better than flour. Flour tortillas will get gummy in the soup. I'd do half the hard shells cooked in w/ the soup, and then the rest in small pieces crumbled on top for added crunch.

Yes Boss!

I've been wanting to make Indian dishes since it's something I'm mostly unfamiliar with; boyfriend is a fan, but pretty sure I've only had Indian once before this so I dunno how authentic it actually was, although all the standard spices and aromatics were present.

IMG_2202_zps6d8f4b06.jpg

Chicken thighs in kale and spinach saag with chana masala. Also made some fresh pita to sop up all the saag. Gonna give the NY Times' butter chicken recipe a shot soon.

Cool! That is definitely a crazy indian mash-up! I dig the idea of kale in the palak gravy.

^-- That's a good idea to mix kale with spinach. I once tried making saag with only kale and it tasted too healthy and tough.

Last night's dinner was a 'hello' to Autumn:

Bulgur wheat salad with pomegranate, smokey eggplant, and pomegranate molasses. Topped with roasted delicata squash.

Def the salt. It was always the thing I found people equated 'taste' to in steaks. The beef can take a shit ton of sodium, especially if it's being done in the pan. I still feel like I'm over salting at times.

It looks PERFECT otherwise

After cooking the steak, is it supposed to cool down for 5-10 minutes? I pretty much ate it as soon as its ready.

le-seb

After cooking the steak, is it supposed to cool down for 5-10 minutes? I pretty much ate it as soon as its ready.
It all depends on you, but letting beef cool down a bit after cooking tenderizes it.
However, it will mostly depend on the kind of meat and its "freshness" (some maturation is needed to transform chewy muscle into tender meat).
Wrapping the meat in some aluminium foil sheet will prevent it from cooling down too much.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Def taco shells. Should taste similar. Texture will be fine. I would reduce overall salt in the dish since those tend to be saltier than corn tortillas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom