• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone have any favorite spaghetti squash or butternut squash recipes?

I just recently discovered this, but roasted butternut squash, with a sprinkling of five spice, salt, and REAL butter is wonderful.

Dinner two nights ago was quick and easy. Green beans slow-simmered in a crock pot for 6 hours. I started them off in a pan with browned onions and chopped tomatoes and moved them into the crockpot after the onions were softened. I had it over rice.

Gibbo

any good soft,stiff peaks tutorials out there? The last time i tried beating egg whites for my angel food cake, it ended in disaster. Going to try a meringue pie this weekend, so i just want to make sure that ive got my bases covered this time.

iavi

What's up, Irongaf! Newbie here. And Looking through this thread is nothing but inspiration, and hell on my hunger levels.

Made some chicken coated in a glaze of butter, honey, hot sauce, and dijon mustard the other night.

1395146_10204850506126858_8133487257606573571_n.jpg

It came out pretty damn amazing, but I'm thinking that I prefer a stickier glaze like that on wings.

thespot84

I'm curious too. I haven't been able to find very many interesting recipes on my own, so if you come across any be sure to post about them here and I'll do the same :)

I had spaghetti squash the other night, roasted whole, then mixed with, brown butter (came out smelling like butterscotch) sage, salt and pepper. pretty good. I think i'm going to try nakedsushi's recipe with brown butter.

I made vegan laksa for dinner.

I cheated by using canned red curry paste, but the taste came out pretty spot on, if not a little too spicy. I used some leftover veggies from the fridge, so not very authentic with red and green bell pepper, okra, and onion.

What's up, Irongaf! Newbie here. And Looking through this thread is nothing but inspiration, and hell on my hunger levels.

Made some chicken coated in a glaze of butter, honey, hot sauce, and dijon mustard the other night.

1395146_10204850506126858_8133487257606573571_n.jpg

It came out pretty damn amazing, but I'm thinking that I prefer a stickier glaze like that on wings.

Looks good. Love the flavor mustard gives when it's combined with other things. Welcome to irongaf, post more when you can :)

Shiina

I made vegan laksa for dinner.

I cheated by using canned red curry paste, but the taste came out pretty spot on, if not a little too spicy. I used some leftover veggies from the fridge, so not very authentic with red and green bell pepper, okra, and onion.

Looks delicious.

Gibbo

Made the gratin Volcano bread balls from the Milk cookbook. When for eight portions instead of 4 (still quite large).

50FE3061-AB98-40E4-A566-3B62DA8B947C_zpsifgag7qm.jpg

Looks good. I got my copy of Milk last week. Looking through the book found alot of recipes to be pretty intimidating - esp the one with multiple components in them.

iavi

Looks good. Love the flavor mustard gives when it's combined with other things. Welcome to irongaf, post more when you can :)

Thx! Yeah, mustard's amazing. And surprisingly versatile.

Made the gratin Volcano bread balls from the Milk cookbook. When for eight portions instead of 4 (still quite large).

50FE3061-AB98-40E4-A566-3B62DA8B947C_zpsifgag7qm.jpg

:drool:

--

Made tri-tip and rice plates for the dinner today. The tri-tip's was grilled than placed over a bed of basmati, jalapeno black beans, and a mango salsa I blended up yesterday and refrigerated.

2014-09-27%2005.34.13%201.jpg

Yes Boss!

Looks good. I got my copy of Milk last week. Looking through the book found alot of recipes to be pretty intimidating - esp the one with multiple components in them.

They really are not that bad. Nothing is too far out there technique-wise. Since it does have call-outs to like a half dozen recipes and jumps around the book it is best to make a one-sheet gameplan to follow. For my Volcanos I made eight doughs instead larger four...used my own classic gratinee recipe, pumped it with a mornay since originally the Milk recipe had a mornay added. Solid recipe with a lot of latitude. Next time I make it I'm going to make a samosa flavored gratin (with peas), crispy lamb bits and use sodium citrate to make a paneer cheese sauce to pump in. Should be good.

fireside

No you lucked out, I highly doubt its a fake.

that's what i figured, i can't imagine a store like tj maxx would be selling fakes. it certainly looks and feels like my other all-clad stuff. the store i got it from has a few other all-clad pieces, so it was probably just a major pricing error.

Yes Boss!

that's what i figured, i can't imagine a store like tj maxx would be selling fakes. it certainly looks and feels like my other all-clad stuff. the store i got it from has a few other all-clad pieces, so it was probably just a major pricing error.

Could be a second. Look for a little "S" somewhere. In either case, a score. I'll often go get out-dated (but new) all-clad pieces at Williams Sanoma Outlet but they are never that inexpensive!

I saw this weird bean at the farmer's market today, so I did what I usually do when I find produce I've never seen before: buy some and cook it.

The vendor said they were wing beans, so I googled around for recipes. Seems like it's some kind of southeast Asian bean. I didn't want to go out and get a bunch of ingredients, so I just stir fried it with stuff I had at home: san marzano tomatoes from the garden and a head of garlic.

They tasted pretty good. Crispy and mild, kind of like an asparagus that doesn't make your pee stink.

Argyle

I saw this weird bean at the farmer's market today, so I did what I usually do when I find produce I've never seen before: buy some and cook it.

The vendor said they were wing beans, so I googled around for recipes. Seems like it's some kind of southeast Asian bean. I didn't want to go out and get a bunch of ingredients, so I just stir fried it with stuff I had at home: san marzano tomatoes from the garden and a head of garlic.

They tasted pretty good. Crispy and mild, kind of like an asparagus that doesn't make your pee stink.

Wing beans are cool. I noticed them for the first time at the farmer's markets in Guam, but it turns out I see them pretty often at the farmer's markets here in Hawaii.

In Guam I remember having them in a dish called tinaktak, which is beef and green beans cooked in coconut milk. (One of the local cafes makes a tinaktak burger which actually worked pretty well, with the coconut milk cooked into the patty and wing beans inside the sandwich.)

zbarron

kebab night :)
Very nice. You made me change dinner plans. I made chicken noodle soup last night with Egg noodles but that looked so good I grilled the chicken first until it was almost cooked and had some decent char marks. I was hopeful it would give it more favor in the soup.

Yesterday's projects were the soup and a batch of 4 kinds of chocolate chip cookies. Today I'll be baking a no knead bread and probably doing stew.

Here's some buttermilk pancakes I made a few mornings ago and forgot to post. I really need to remember to take more pictures before I eat.
15378253756_38f01548c9_h.jpg

15214772117_c6a1a45411_h.jpg

Served with an extra slice of ego.

I made sourdough pancakes with my sourdough starter a few days later and I'm not sure when I'l be able to justify the price of buttermilk again. Unfortunately though those came out Uglier than you can imagine so no pictures.

zbarron

My bread just came out and it looks amazing. It's a take on the original no knead recipe with a few changes. First it uses a sourdough starter and no bakers yeast, also it's about 80% hydration level. I let it rest for about 15 hours and I didn't score the top. This loaf is dropped in seem side up so the ear is a naturally formed one. It's rustic but amazing so far. Can't wait until I can cut it open.
15216357148_3996a03685_h.jpg

15216469947_a628422094_h.jpg

Here are some of the cookies I made. I used Kenji Alt's recipe with 3 tweaks. I used a full teaspoon of baking soda to give it a better initial rise and more browning. I whipped the eggs, vanilla and sugar longer than I usually do, and instead of chocolate chunks I used Nestle semi sweet large and small chips, dove dark chocolate hand chopped into chunks and fall colored M&M's. Honestly while the recipe says to let the dough rest for a day for improved flavor, which I've noticed improvements I believe they look best baked fresh. This is after a 24 hour rest:
15216259179_8990faf72f_h.jpg

This is the original recipe when my wife and I had a cookie day and gave 90% of them away to friends.
15216399898_59325fc2e5_h.jpg

Notice how nice and craggy the top is?

Now time to find a good stew recipe that I can scale down to my 1.6lbs of chuck.

zbarron

If you're making a lot of cookies this COOKIE THESIS could prove useful for experimenting with what you want:
http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

I appreciate it but that is the exact recipe I'm using here. It's by far the best I've come across and that Food Lab post was one of the most informative things I've read. I just gave it a few tweaks. My first batch as pictured in the mountains of different cookies picture follows it pretty much to a T, minus the overnight chill. My second batch I don't have a picture of but I made with coconut oil and while it lacked a bit of flavor it still really worked. The 3 cookies you see at the top was my third time using the recipe where I tweaked a few variables.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I appreciate it but that is the exact recipe I'm using here. It's by far the best I've come across and that Food Lab post was one of the most informative things I've read. I just gave it a few tweaks. My first batch as pictured in the mountains of different cookies picture follows it pretty much to a T, minus the overnight chill. My second batch I don't have a picture of but I made with coconut oil and while it lacked a bit of flavor it still really worked. The 3 cookies you see at the top was my third time using the recipe where I tweaked a few variables.
I figured from the way you posted, but just in case :)

zbarron

I figured from the way you posted, but just in case :)

No worries. I'm glad the link is in the thread so hopefully others can find out what they're missing out on.

I actually decided on OnkelC's stew recipe with a few substitutions to fit what I have in the house at the moment. It's been braising for about an hour in my Dutch Oven and the liquid while brown still seems a little thin. I'm hoping it's good by the time my Wife comes home from work but if not we're having a late dinner. I'll post pictures when it's done.

zbarron

Just an oven and a pan.

Check your oven to see if it has a broil setting. If it does you are in luck. Also what kind of pan do you have. Is it heavy and black or light and silver? No matter the answers this is how I'd start:

Half an hour to an hour before you want to cook it take it out of the package and put it on a cutting board or plate and cover every surface with Kosher Salt and leave it alone for at minimum a half hour. This will help tenderize and flavor. Right before you cook I like to keep it simple. Just add cracked black pepper and some garlic powder. Here are a few cooking methods I enjoy.

Whatever you do though if you are picky about your doneness use a meat thermometer. I use an analog pocket thermometer I picked up for $2

1- Spoon butter on it: Heat your pan on medium high heat and put enough butter in it so when it melts it covers the pan abut a 1/4 inch high. Let it heat up until it's just about to smoke. Put the steak on it and have a spoon ready. Tilt the pan away from the steak and while the bottom is cooking on the pan spoon the hot butter on the top thus cooking both sides at once. Flip after about a minute and do this again. Keep it up until you get the crust you like. This is great for Medium Rare with a Steak that thick. If you want higher you can finish it off in an oven if the pan is heavy duty enough.
Note Your place will get smokey so make sure you are well ventilated.

2-Simple Sear and bake: Similar to 1 in that you will sear both sides and then finish in the oven. Put olive oil in the pan and when it's hot enough put the steak in. Flip after 2 minutes and sear the other side. Then place pan in oven.

3-Simplest, Broil it: Put the oven rack on the top closest to the broiler. At this point you can put the steak directly on the rack if you want and put a drip pan on the shelf underneath to catch drippings. After 3 minutes flip it and cook for 3 more minutes. Take the temperature and add time as needed.

If you want more advice feel free to ask.

Check your oven to see if it has a broil setting. If it does you are in luck. Also what kind of pan do you have. Is it heavy and black or light and silver? No matter the answers this is how I'd start:

Half an hour to an hour before you want to cook it take it out of the package and put it on a cutting board or plate and cover every surface with Kosher Salt and leave it alone for at minimum a half hour. This will help tenderize and flavor. Right before you cook I like to keep it simple. Just add cracked black pepper and some garlic powder. Here are a few cooking methods I enjoy.

Whatever you do though if you are picky about your doneness use a meat thermometer. I use an analog pocket thermometer I picked up for $2

1- Spoon butter on it: Heat your pan on medium high heat and put enough butter in it so when it melts it covers the pan abut a 1/4 inch high. Let it heat up until it's just about to smoke. Put the steak on it and have a spoon ready. Tilt the pan away from the steak and while the bottom is cooking on the pan spoon the hot butter on the top thus cooking both sides at once. Flip after about a minute and do this again. Keep it up until you get the crust you like. This is great for Medium Rare with a Steak that thick. If you want higher you can finish it off in an oven if the pan is heavy duty enough.
Note Your place will get smokey so make sure you are well ventilated.

2-Simple Sear and bake: Similar to 1 in that you will sear both sides and then finish in the oven. Put olive oil in the pan and when it's hot enough put the steak in. Flip after 2 minutes and sear the other side. Then place pan in oven.

3-Simplest, Broil it: Put the oven rack on the top closest to the broiler. At this point you can put the steak directly on the rack if you want and put a drip pan on the shelf underneath to catch drippings. After 3 minutes flip it and cook for 3 more minutes. Take the temperature and add time as needed.

If you want more advice feel free to ask.

How much salt, pepper and garlic do you recommend? I don't know a good Ratio. Also, how high should the temperature be on the oven?

zbarron

How much salt, pepper and garlic do you recommend? I don't know a good Ratio. Also, how high should the temperature be on the oven?

Sprinkle the Kosher Salt until you've lightly covered the whole thing in a light sprinkling. It shouldn't be edge to edge salt pretty much one coarse granule with a 1/4 inch radius around between it and others. It doesn't have to be exact at all, just trying to give you a good idea. I also don't measure the pepper or garlic. I just put a light coating on making sure I get everywhere. Probably a quarter to half teaspoon each if you wanted to measure. If you mean bake and not broil I'd do 450*F. Broil is usually automatcically 500.

Pennywise

German meatballs aka Frikadellen/Buletten.

It's an easy recipe and you can adjust it to your liking.
Besides, they're easy to do and you can also eat them cold or just reheat them the next day.

Ingredients :
1 KG of ground meat / mince (usually I take 50% pork and 50% beef).
Parsley.
2-3 oninions.
2 eggs.
Breadcrumbs.
2-3 cloves of garlic.
Paprika powder, both sweet and spicy.
Salt.
Pepper.

The preparation is the only part that's really time consuming here.
You chop parsley, onions, and the garlic into really small piece, allthough you can take bigger chunks of onion if you like it.
Once you're done with it, you can start to mix it together.
The eggs and the breadcrumbs hold the meat together, so it's necessary to integrate them.
I usually use my hands to mix the mass and start with the meat,eggs and the breadcrumbs, than I'll start to add the parsley/garlic/onions into the mixture and use the seasoning.
I have no real measurements for the seasoning, but I take quite a bit for that mass and it's mostly the same amount for every seasoning.
The last part is forming them.
It depends on what size you like, but I'll suggest to make them a bit bigger in order to get them juicy in the end.

Once you're done with mixing and forming them , clean up your hands and prepare the skillet with some oil on it, if it's hot enough you can start.
Get them brown on each side and maybe a bit on the smaller sides.
You don't need to get them done 100%, because the last step is putting them in the oven at 100°c - 150 °c for about twenty minutes.

They should be done by that time.
I wouldn't suggest an own side dish, you might get get a bread roll or a bun you can eat alongside the Frikadellen.
Ketchup tastes fine with it ( at least that's what people claim, I don't eat ketchup), but usually people just eat them with mustard.

And don't sweat it, you can adjust the recipe to your liking.

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom