• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykomatsu

On my quest to find a healthy(er) pizza and after the vegan pizza debacle a few days ago, i tried making a cauliflower pizza...

To my surprise, it was quite good...ate it before I got a chance to take a picture :(

Tossed half a head of cauliflower into the blender, then squeezed water out, mixed with an egg, some garlic, parsley, and shredded cheese. Added some red pepper for some zing. Baked for 20min, added tomato sauce and mozarella on top, baked some more. The "crust" held its shape, could have used a little more baking time to firm the center up, but it seemed to set some more as I ate it.

I was expecting it to be more "cauliflowery", but I guess squeezing the water out removed most of the cauliflower taste. Would recommend to try at least once...

Gibbo

So my favourite thing to make at the moment is Pavlovas. Only thing I hate about it is that it has to be eaten on the spot. I find that it has a terrible shelf life. Here's one I made yesterday

GZbVLQHl.jpg

zbarron

Hoping my Anova sous vide circulator shows up later this month.

Excellent choice. I was going to get one for Christmas this year. We might be moving to an apartment that has a 20" gas stove top from 1948. It looks like this but older and not as shiny.
20-gas-stoves-premierucina.jpg

If we do and it sucks I'm going to pick up this:
91hlucads5l._sl1500_7axnx.jpg

It's a precision induction cooktop that you can set by temperature as low as 100*F and vary upward in 10*F intervals. For most sous vide purposes that might just do the trick so I'd try that out first and see if the Anova is still worth it.

Zyzyxxz

It's a precision induction cooktop that you can set by temperature as low as 100*F and vary upward in 10*F intervals. For most sous vide purposes that might just do the trick so I'd try that out first and see if the Anova is still worth it.

Inductions aren't a good replacement for sous vide. Their temperature accuracy isn't all that great and consistent. They are good for efficient and quick heating though.

As an side that is one of the most bizarre food photos I've ever seen. Grilled vegetables, a baked potato, and some protein, all post-prep & garnished, in a perfectly clean pan on top of an induction surface that could only prepare two of the three items. So bizarre.

CrankyJay

Banned
Did you preorder the 2nd gen one as well?

Yeah, I did the kickstarter for like $109 or $129, forgot the price.

So, weird question.

Obviously the first thing I'm going to be making in this is some steaks etc, but do you think this thing would turn out a good corned beef brisket?

My plan would be to bring the brisket to optimal temp at 185F, and it might work great with a vacuum sealed bag with pickling spices or a pepper rub.

The unit supposedly can get up to 210F.

edit: wow, just googled sous vide corned beef, i'm not as original as i thought, lol

Mekere

So my favourite thing to make at the moment is Pavlovas. Only thing I hate about it is that it has to be eaten on the spot. I find that it has a terrible shelf life. Here's one I made yesterday

GZbVLQHl.jpg

Once made you have to eat it on the spot yes, but you can cook the meringue and keep it in a dry place for up to 2 days.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As an side that is one of the most bizarre food photos I've ever seen. Grilled vegetables, a baked potato, and some protein, all post-prep & garnished, in a perfectly clean pan on top of an induction surface that could only prepare two of the three items. So bizarre.

More like 1 of the three, seeing that you can't get those char lines with that. :p

zbarron

Inductions aren't a good replacement for sous vide. Their temperature accuracy isn't all that great and consistent. They are good for efficient and quick heating though.

I agree it comes no where near the .1*F accuracy of specific sous vide devices but I plan on doing it with a cast iron dutch oven which is great for maintaining heat and would hopefully negate most of the fluctuation. If I used a basic pocket thermometer I'd also get a more accurate temperature reading. I figure if I made bomb-ass sous vide chicken in a beer cooler this shouldn't be much worse. If we get the apartment I'm getting the induction cooktop either way so I'll test it out then and see how much worse of an experience it is. If it is really limiting I'll probably buy the Anovo Precision Cooker but I'd like to test if I need it first.

iavi

10511214_10204982066975797_7986681431499606973_n.jpg

Dinner plate from last night.

Protein errywhere, and some sauteed pineapples, peppers, and mushrooms to break it all up.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah, I did the kickstarter for like $109 or $129, forgot the price.

So, weird question.

Obviously the first thing I'm going to be making in this is some steaks etc, but do you think this thing would turn out a good corned beef brisket?

My plan would be to bring the brisket to optimal temp at 185F, and it might work great with a vacuum sealed bag with pickling spices or a pepper rub.

The unit supposedly can get up to 210F.

edit: wow, just googled sous vide corned beef, i'm not as original as i thought, lol

Well at least now you know. If you are doing 185 make sure you don't use ziploc bags as they will melt once it gets that hot for long periods of time. You have to at least use a foodsaver or if you are balling like me own a chamber vacuum sealer or have access to one. But you can get around that by freezing your liquids anyway.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well at least now you know. If you are doing 185 make sure you don't use ziploc bags as they will melt once it gets that hot for long periods of time. You have to at least use a foodsaver or if you are balling like me own a chamber vacuum sealer or have access to one. But you can get around that by freezing your liquids anyway.

Good call. Was planning on buying a foodsaver anyway. I wonder if I can still achieve the tenderness I want at a lower temp but for a longer time.

Hello guys. I won one of those Pasta Machines in a giveaway in my neighborhood, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips to make them.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great effort!

The wife and I made "İmam bayıldı" tonight, a nice vegetarian dish from the traditional turkish cuisine:

The name means "The Imam fainted" or "The Imam was delighted", which makes it one of the funniest named dishes I have prepared so far.
A vid of the preparation can be found here:
http://youtu.be/N_QM4LbejKw

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Marinated Scotch fillet steak on bed of watercress, radish, walnuts, and blue cheese with olive oil and plum sauce dressing

Salad went really well with the steak, adding a great blend of flavours and textures.

le-seb

^ Different kinds of apples, possibly.

Here's my dinner:

Risotto aux poivrons, fèves, chorizo et son jambon de pays

So, you've probably guessed it, that's some cured ham served with a Bell pepper, broad beans and chorizo based risotto.
All I can tell you is that it's super tasty.

As always, apologies, bad photographer takes bad photos.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Didn't know where else to ask:

Are there any differences between Anglo cider, French cidre and German apfelwein?
German Apfelwein is non sparkling aka it doesn't fizz and tastes a lot more sour than the fizzing and rather sweet Cidre and Cider. The french and english variants are quite similar in taste and fizz.

What's this on the right? It all looks so good!

Looks like inari tofu. Are those commercial noodles, nakedsushi? I have hard time finding good ramen noodles up here in Portland at retail, usually use udon which are easier to get. I keep saying I'm going to take a trip down to Boston to stock up, but never do...

GiJoccin

German Apfelwein is non sparkling aka it doesn't fizz and tastes a lot more sour than the fizzing and rather sweet Cidre and Cider. The french and english variants are quite similar in taste and fizz.

I haven't had any "anglo" or german cider, but among french ciders there are lots of differences. depends on where it's from, but a lot of them that i've had have been really funky and dry, not sweet at all. but i know they also have sweet, i just never order those

salty and funky, that's how i like my ciders, lots of basque ciders are like that as well

Maiar_m

Looks like inari tofu. Are those commercial noodles, nakedsushi? I have hard time finding good ramen noodles up here in Portland at retail, usually use udon which are easier to get. I keep saying I'm going to take a trip down to Boston to stock up, but never do...

Thanks!

BTW, I can't even find Udon where I am, and tofu is as likely to be available as unicorn meat :(

What's this on the right? It all looks so good!

In Chinese I call it tofu-bao. It's tofu skin (yuba) that's folded and then pressed into a thick layer, and then deep fried. I buy it pre-made from the Chinese market, so all I had to do was slice it and put it on top of my noodles. Inari stuffed into each other would be a pretty good substitute.

Yep, they're commercial noodles. They're sold in the refridgerated section in the Chinese market. They were only ok. I would have preferred more chew in mine. Maybe udon would be a good way to go next time.

God that looks good. Recipe?

I wrote up a sort-of recipe here: http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/2014/10/vegan-ramen-at-home/

Ecrofirt

I haven't posted in this thread in years, but I just want to say I've been keeping up and my mouth has been watering.

In the past few months I've made:
  • homemade bacon (twice! about 30 lbs total)
  • My first ever spaghetti carbonara
  • Deep fried turkey for a family vacation
  • Steak taratre (thanks OnkelC! I've been wanting to make this for a few years because of your recipe)
  • delicious schnitzel

Hey IronGAF, I picked up a slow cooker about a month ago and it's been unused. This weekend I'd like to put it to use. Can any of you suggest an awesome beanless Chilli recipe? GF doesn't like to eat beans unfortunately

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I haven't posted in this thread in years, but I just want to say I've been keeping up and my mouth has been watering.

In the past few months I've made:
  • homemade bacon (twice! about 30 lbs total)
  • My first ever spaghetti carbonara
  • Deep fried turkey for a family vacation
  • Steak taratre (thanks OnkelC! I've been wanting to make this for a few years because of your recipe)
  • delicious schnitzel
Mang, good to see you alive, well and back in here! :) Thanks for sharing. How did you prepare the tatare and the carbonara?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Ikea's basic stainless steel pots/pans are professional-grade (i.e. you'll find them in plenty of restaurant kitchens) and a genuine steal at the price. You can sometimes find excellent bargains on individual mid- and high-end pieces at places like TJ Maxx, Kohls, Ross, etc.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not really on topic I guess, but I've been wondering, would black pepper be considered an umami component as well as spice?

h3ro

Can you guys recommend a rice cooker?

I cook a lot of Indian food as well as dabble in some Thai dishes and would like to pick one up that isn't too expensive.

Can you guys recommend a rice cooker?

I cook a lot of Indian food as well as dabble in some Thai dishes and would like to pick one up that isn't too expensive.

What's your price range and how much rice do you want to cook at one time? If you eat rice a lot (at least once a week), then I would suggest a zojirushi. A $150-$300 one is usually decent and lasts a while.

If you want something on the lower end of that range, I'd go with one o those push button Tiger or Zoji's. My parents had one that lasted for 10+ years of rice almost every day.

CrankyJay

Banned
What's your price range and how much rice do you want to cook at one time? If you eat rice a lot (at least once a week), then I would suggest a zojirushi. A $150-$300 one is usually decent and lasts a while.

If you want something on the lower end of that range, I'd go with one o those push button Tiger or Zoji's. My parents had one that lasted for 10+ years of rice almost every day.

i'm in the market for a zojirushi...the 3 cup one was $125 on amazon for awhile but now it's back up to $140.

Ecrofirt

Mang, good to see you alive, well and back in here! :) Thanks for sharing. How did you prepare the tatare and the carbonara?

I followed your recipe for the tartare pretty much exactly. My onions ended up a bit bigger than I intended them to, and I think next time I make it I'll add some garlic for more zip.

The carbonara was pretty simple, and quite delicious.

I cubed up some of my homemade bacon and let that cook down in a skillet with some olive oil. While it was cooking down, I prepared the sauce: 3 raw eggs, a ton of parmesean cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, all mixed together in a bowl.

I boiled up my spaghetti, and when it was ready, I drained it and put it in the skillet with the bacon. I turned off the heat on the skillet and tossed in the sauce, stirring it quickly to make sure it didn't turn into scrambled eggs.

I make a lot of pasta at home, but that was the most simple and delicious pasta meal I think I've ever made.

Zoe

I boiled up my spaghetti, and when it was ready, I drained it and put it in the skillet with the bacon. I turned off the heat on the skillet and tossed in the sauce, stirring it quickly to make sure it didn't turn into scrambled eggs.

Stupid question, but did you drain the oil and bacon?

zbarron

We moved so I haven't been cooking lately. I miss it so much.

I tried a cibatta. I failed in the shaping but damn is it tasty.
15559959786_72518ae31e_h.jpg

15580991221_b1f1ae9b7e_h.jpg

This was a test bake. We're having friends over for a big family style Italian meal. Authenticity is cool but far from mandatory. I'm probably going to slice a better shaped loaf of that in half horizontally and fill with chicken Parmesan. We'll probably do THIS garlic knot recipe, make some shrimp scampi, fettuccine Alfredo, baked ziti and tiramisu. All in giant portions for sharing. If anyone has some good Italian recipes that they'd suggest I'd love 'em. I prefer recipes that are tested and known to be good. My reputation is on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom