• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
you make me proud, folks! keep sharing please.

Teetris said:
I've been on a lowcalorie salad roll since last week, does anybody have any tips (or even a few saladnames I can try) when it comes to this stuff? I'm planning on buying all my stuff from Lidl/Aldi and some from the market since those are the cheapest places I can think of. How important is it that ingredients are fresh, and which one is the most important to always have fresh? There's an Ekoplaza somewhere around here but that stuff is way overpriced imo. I've always been buying premade salads uptill now but I want to try things myself.

Thanks, this thread rocks!

Hi and thanks for asking!

Since all lettuces used for making a salad are prone to a fast decay, you should shop them the same day. The usual additions (cucumber, tomatoes) can be stored for a few days.

PRO TIP 1:
Never store tomatoes in the fridge, they lose their aromes in there.

PRO TIP 2:
All lettuces that are sold as a whole can easiliy be checked for freshness by looking at the raw edge: the whiter it is, the fresher the lettuce.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Weekend cooking schedule:
Tonight will be BBQ with Bratwurst and marinated chicken breasts in fluffy rolls and naan bread, tomorrow we'll visit the first restaurant that served french fries in germany as well as pics from the beer festival in Viersen near the dutch border, dinner will be the 1960s classic "Würstchen im Schlafrock" (lit. "Wiener in nightgown"), vienna-style hot dog sausages baked in puff pastry.

Zyzyxxz

Teetris said:
I've been on a lowcalorie salad roll since last week, does anybody have any tips (or even a few saladnames I can try) when it comes to this stuff? I'm planning on buying all my stuff from Lidl/Aldi and some from the market since those are the cheapest places I can think of. How important is it that ingredients are fresh, and which one is the most important to always have fresh? There's an Ekoplaza somewhere around here but that stuff is way overpriced imo. I've always been buying premade salads uptill now but I want to try things myself.

Thanks, this thread rocks!

try adding some beans too, good source of protein and sometimes fiber. I dunno how canned beans differ in nutritional value compared to the dry ones you have to boil yourself.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Sausage and chicken extravaganza on Naan bread:
smallP1040099.jpg

E-phonk

Banned
This is my first post in this (excellent) thread. Nice to see stuff from all over the world - I allready took a few idea's from here. I cook about 4-5 times a week, mostly pasta or meat based dishes, sometimes a wok.

It's a very bad picture (cellphone), but basically I made peppersteak with a pepper saus, mashed potatoes with broccoli and small pieces of tomatoe with fresh basil (or basilicum how it's called here).

29azo77.jpg

Next time i'll try to make a better picture.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
First time posting something I made in here so here we go :), My next post will be some Gumbo even though your not suppose to make it in the Summer :lol

Chicken Curry
30wm2hh.jpg

Prepping Rice
2qanzug.jpg

Didn't make this but it's so good.
Orochon Ramen (Little Tokyo)
71sqs2.jpg

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Zyzyxxz said:
thats a nice looking curry G35.

Did you use Japanese curry roux?

yeah but I cook and season everything separately to a a point to where it has its own flavor and flavor of the roux.

g35twinturbo: have you tried the spiciest ramen at orochan? It looks scary.

4th of July dinner for me:
2643204416_a85e60a95f_o.jpg

not shown are 6 more strips of kalbi (korean bbq short ribs) that I scarfed down.

2642377467_a7523805b3_o.jpg

marinated and grilled asparagus by the bf

2642377177_c8c48f8caf_o.jpg

bbq chicken wings and thighs

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
nakedsushi said:
g35twinturbo: have you tried the spiciest ramen at orochan? It looks scary.

2642377467_a7523805b3_o.jpg

marinated and grilled asparagus by the bf

I sure have :)

My picture was on the way last month or so for finishing it under 30 mins :lol

btw that asparagus looks sooo damn good!

g35twinturbo said:
I sure have :)

My picture was on the way last month or so for finishing it under 30 mins :lol

btw that asparagus looks sooo damn good!

Wow that's incredible! I think I can finish the noodle, but the soup is what would give me problems. Did you have any "regrets" later? ;)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
nakedsushi said:
Wow that's incredible! I think I can finish the noodle, but the soup is what would give me problems. Did you have any "regrets" later? ;)

I did unfortunately :(

I tell you one thing, I would never do that again......maybe if someone paid me :lol

Got a question for some of you more experienced cooks. I bought a spice rack recently and of course it came with a bunch of different spices I've never used. So I figure I'll expand past my Tex-Mex/Italian/Indian food stuff and try asking for recipes that use some of these spices

Anyone have any good recipes/recommendations for food that uses dilweed?

gprime

My last contribution to IronGAF was 2 years ago (the last time I cooked something myself) when I made "extra-cheesy macaroni and cheese." I know. Skill.

I actually had 2 different ingredient in my apartment at once, so I had to make beef jerky eggs:

IMG_9961.JPG

IMG_9966.JPG

IMG_9970.JPG

Delicious!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That looks quite good, actually! Extra Props for the use of ketchup with scrambled eggs.:lol

Keep sharing folks, I don't have anything worthwile to contribute.

so...me and a friend went on a BBQ odyssey yesterday. in the most recent issue of Texas Monthly, a bunch of writers ranked all the top bbq joints across the state. 3 out of the top 5 places were within a 14-mile radius of each other, so we decided it was high time to check them out. full disclosure: i did make this trip earlier in the summer, but with a food companion, it was much more fun and entertaining.

on the way to luling, tx:
2651121419_3b73fb907b.jpg

upon entering luling city market, you go towards the back and enter a very dark and smoky room:
2651950980_c06799dd72.jpg

the luling city market pitmaster:
2651953110_34c5afdbac.jpg

the sausage rings:
2651955496_ebd04d65a8.jpg

as you can see, i was really nervous while snapping this pic. when the large man working at the counter asked me if i wanted to go behind the pit and get a better shot, i thought i had died. :lol

the 1st score:
2651122941_c92372b3ae.jpg

we got the trinity of texas bbq: fatty brisket, sausage link, and pork ribs. white bread is served on the side. as you can see, no sauce. luling city market DOES provide their own bbq sauce (not pictured), but i won't get into the philosophical discussions of sauce vs. non-sauce bbq.

when my friend bit into the sausage, her eyes went wide open. she looked around, and told me later, she was just making sure that no one was catching her in such a sinful act. when she tasted the brisket, she felt like she was cheating on her husband and needed to go to confession! the picture does not give it justice. it was dripping, oozing, and so unctuous. and i quote, "it's like...knowing the difference between bad sex and good sex. i know now!"

14 miles away in lockhart, tx...smitty's market:
2651132045_10b4329240.jpg

upon entering, you instantly feel high heat. that's because there is a firepit right next to the backdoor -- no guardrails or warning signs...so watch out!
2651132123_4b5c753560.jpg

the 2nd score:
2651132245_4c07a031ec.jpg

i have friends who swear by smitty's, but i think today was an off-day. the pitmaster did not look to be in a good mood, and even though we asked for extra-moist brisket, the meat dried out very fast. sausage and ribs were tasty, though.

the texture of a smitty's sausage link:
2651132275_485b79d8f4.jpg

yes, yes...make your jokes now about that. moving on...

next stop, kreuz just down the street:
2651958458_4cb80cb32c.jpg

long story short, kreuz used to occupy the building that smitty's is in right now, but according to legend (or truth), the family got into some sort of fight -- and kreuz was born. when you walk into kreuz, you immediately notice the size of the building. it seemed like a religious experience -- the high wood-beamed ceilings, the silence, the severity of the pitmasters.

the 3rd score:
2651958664_eea55fc988.jpg

at this point of our odyssey, we were quite full -- so we packed up most of the kreuz. from what i've discovered -- on that day, i would rank it luling > smitty's = kreuz. i have learned from personal experience that cooking meat is such a fickle process, taking into account the type of meat, age of meat, time to cook, temperature, etc. there are so many variables in the process, so i don't blame one place from having an off-day.

thanks for letting me share -- and more food odysseys soon!

Ok, well after all the wonder suggestions (sarcasm) on food that uses dill weed, I looked online and came away with an interesting pasta shrimp recipe. So here's what came out of it. it was actually pretty damn tasty and relativey healthy, esp with the fruit salad added on as a side dish.

5d2ahg.jpg

You can't really see it here, but there's also a can of mixed vegetables in the pasta. I washed down the meal with some OJ.

141qtfq.jpg

A closer picture of the main dish

2eof85j.jpg

The fruit salad.

Recipe for the pasta available upon request

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, legendary post Thank you very much for the effort put in the research and the wonderful writing, too. More of these reviews, please!

slidewinder, love the dishes name:lol
obijkenobi, I'd love to see the recipe.

Zyzyxxz

makes me wanna take a food journey.

Since I live in California and a cool thing to do it just drive up the Pacific Coast Highway and check out the great beach views I might document all the unique and great restaurants on the way up and maybe any down that I may miss.

After I get some cash though, gas is facking expensive.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
:lol

why am I just now noticing that your avatar looks just like you :lol

Zyzyxxz said:
makes me wanna take a food journey.

Since I live in California and a cool thing to do it just drive up the Pacific Coast Highway and check out the great beach views I might document all the unique and great restaurants on the way up and maybe any down that I may miss.

After I get some cash though, gas is facking expensive.

gas is $4.75 by my house :(

Zyzyxxz

I've been trying to make the best of what I have since I am living quite frugally these days since I'm strapped for cash. Damn college.

baked chicken curry rice
2654373871_f0ee651e18_o.jpg

steak, fries, and eggs - simple but awesome
2654373933_c0622e4aa5_o.jpg

OnkelC said:
smirkrevenge, legendary post Thank you very much for the effort put in the research and the wonderful writing, too. More of these reviews, please!

slidewinder, love the dishes name:lol
obijkenobi, I'd love to see the recipe.

Well I PMed it to you and I'm going to post here a little cleaned up. I found it on a forum somewhere else and the directions weren't exactly clear. I've only made it once so I haven't "perfected" it yet. All the directions in caps are things I did or suggestions I...er suggest.

Ingredients
9 oz fresh pasta (lemon-pepper if you can get it) (I USED ANGEL HAIR)

4-6 oz shrimp (fresh or frozen)

a package of fresh dill (these are usually an ounce or two). Chop
fine, or use a kichen scissors to cut it into little 1/3 inch bits.
Avoid the stems. (I USED DILL BUT I HAVE IT IN A SPICE BOTTLE. I
PROBABLY USED ABOUT 3 TEASPOONS BUT I JUST KIND OF PLAYED IT BY EAR
AND KEPT ADDING AND STIRRING UNTIL IT LOOKED "RIGHT")

a shallot or some onion, chopped fine (I USED ONION HERE. NOT A LOT OF ONION SINCE I DIDN'T FEEL THE RECIPE NEEDED IT WITH A WHOLE GARLIC CLOVE. PROBABLY PUT IN ABOUT 1/8 OF A WHITE ONION IF THAT)

1 clove garlic (I CUT THE GARLIC INTO SMALL PIECES BUT IT TAKES
FOREVER TO DO THAT TO A CLOVE. FROM NOW ON I'M BUYING IT PRECUT)

a cup or so of frozen peas (HERE I USED A SMALL CAN OF MIXED VEGETABLES)

a little butter

a little olive oil

1/2 cup of cream (I USED A FULL CAN OF CREAM OF MUSHROOM)

Black pepper

Directions:
Set the water for the pasta to boil.

get out a skillet, and warm up the olive oil, and add a little butter.
Warm until the butter melts. (I USED A BIG POT FOR THIS BUT ONLY BC I
HAVE A SMALL SKILLET. THIS MAKES A LOT OF FOOD. YOU'LL HAVE A LOT OF LEFTOVERS
IF YOU DON'T HAVE A FEW PEOPLE OVER TO HAVE IT)

Toss in the (THE ONION ANd GARLIC), and cook till it's soft. Add the
shrimp and give them a good toss. They should be partially cooked
before the next step.

Put the pasta in the water - cook till done. For angel hair this is
only a minute or two. For other pastas, you might want to add it to
the water before you cook the shrimp.

Add the peas (MIXED VEGETABLES), and warm up till everything's simmering again.

If the pasta's not done, take the skillet off the heat.

Drain the pasta and add to the shrimp and peas.

Add the (CREAM OF MUSHROOM) and toss. It's a thin sauce but nice.

Now add the dill (I ADDED BLACK PEPPER HERE), and toss again.

Prep time is about 30 minutes or so only because cloves are a huge
hassle. Prep time would probably be only about 10 minutes if I had used prediced cloves. I do admit at sucking at preparing cloves so if you're awesome at it, have at it that way. Cooking time was about 20 minutes and a lot of that
was waiting for the water to boil.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
obijkenobi, nice! keep posting please.

Zyzyxxz, Steak and fries, an eternal classic!:lol Eggs are a good addition.

zam

smirkrevenge said:
we got the trinity of texas bbq: fatty brisket, sausage link, and pork ribs. white bread is served on the side. as you can see, no sauce. luling city market DOES provide their own bbq sauce (not pictured), but i won't get into the philosophical discussions of sauce vs. non-sauce bbq.
What is the deal with sauce vs non-sauce anyway?

some hardcore texas bbq aficionados claim that eating bbq with no sauce is the only way to go...you don't hide the flavor of the meat, the intensity of the smoke, etc. if it is well-cooked bbq, it should be moist enough that no sauce is needed.

personally, i don't take sides. i enjoy sauce (the luling city market version is very tasty), but can appreciate no sauce when the meat is well-cooked.

2570026864_9fd33156ef.jpg

well...first time i've actually posted the process! tonight...a chinese meal with some standards.

first, "yu xiang" eggplant, which translates to "eggplant prepared fish-style." don't ask me how it got this name, as there is no fish in the dish, but does resemble some fish dishes i've had.

mise en place -- eggplant, half a jalapeno, garlic, green onion, ground pork with a soy, cornstarch, cooking wine marinade:
IMG_8768mod.jpg

you fry the eggplant first in a decent amount of oil. that's cos eggplants absorb a lot of oil -- who wants dry eggplant?
IMG_8775mod.jpg

next, take the eggplant out and fry the garlic, jalapeno, and ground pork:
IMG_8776mod.jpg

after that, add the eggplant back in and cover on low heat for a few minutes:
IMG_8778mod.jpg

finished product! garnish with some green onion:
2660241120_d1aa846d55.jpg

also made some sugar snap peas, lightly sauteed with some sesame seeds:
2659411831_1c4ed94053.jpg

da jia man yong! not sure what that means, but i've always said it after i've finished a meal with the family...ha! perhaps, bon appetit in chinese? :lol

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Made some paella earlier.

Didn't expect to take a pic or anything, so I didn't clean off the plate, nor did I fancy up the plating. :p

img0038ppd_250e801.jpg

tri_willy

OnkelC said:
nice, how did you make the batter?

it was a mixture of plain flour (40%), tempura powder (contains flour, potato starch, salt) (40%) and corn flour (20%).

yea this recipe can be an alternative to the salt and pepper squid

smirkrevenge said:
2660241120_d1aa846d55.jpg

da jia man yong! not sure what that means, but i've always said it after i've finished a meal with the family...ha! perhaps, bon appetit in chinese? :lol

Great eggplant dish! I love that vegetable. So delicious. You're right with the oil though. It's a total oil sponge.

I think 'da jia man yong' translates to 'everyone use it slowly' which means "eat slowly" which is polite to say when you leave the table I think. My mom always says "man man tsu" which means the same thing.

Zyzyxxz

can somebody recommend me a good gas grill thats relatively cheap?

By cheap I mean somewhere in the $100-200 USD range and more leaning toward the $100 side.

Its gonna be for sparse use so I dont need something crazy. Just felt like its time to replace the coal bbq at my house because its such a pain (although so good)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
freshair said:
pan seared salmon w/ teriyaki sauce + herbs + pineapples & rice :D

http://i34.tinypic.com/20rryo9.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]
nice! Thanks for sharing.

Here's a failed attempt to create a quick and tasty dish (was quick but not tasty):
Filo dough with cream cheese spread, tomato paste and Gouda, wrapped around a wiener
[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/BritBreakfast/smallP1040100.jpg
smallP1040102.jpg

And a guilty pleasure, strawberry fluff:
smallP1040139.jpg

smallP1040141.jpg

Edit:
Anybody seen this before? Was new to me:
smallP1040112.jpg

woeds

Made a pizza sub this afternoon (tomato/olive bread, tomatopaste, herbs, ham, mozarella, cheese)
118lzfb.jpg

2vwuvx5.jpg

2epijd1.jpg

kew0g0.jpg

358b3gn.jpg

Pretty simple, but tasted pretty good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
woeds, nice! looks a bit like the deep frozen Langnese ones :)

ALMOST RACIAL SLUR ALERT!!!!!!!111
(Ice cream related)
The wife invited me to the local greek restaurant tonight. On the way home, we felt like ice cream. Gas station had a classic bar which i would like to share with the PC crowd...
smallP1040147.jpg

smallP1040146.jpg

have at it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
dsc_7530ppd_26007b3.jpg

Oven roasted mediterranean potatoes, southwest seasoned chicken, and a mango reduction pan sauce drizzled atop. omnomnomnom

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
NSBrandon said:
You totally used too much water or did not let that cook long enough!

I was guessing that it was the ale. Lol because that hambuger helper mix is like fuckin' cement mix lol.

Yeah, I ended up putting the rest of it (leftovers to be) back on the burner uncovered to reduce some. Next time I will break out the measuring cups.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2667216418_296902be5c.jpg[img]
A practice cake for the bf's birthday. It's spice cake with a lemon glaze.[/QUOTE]
nice cake. spice cakes are uncommon in the summer, it's a classic for the pre-christams season over here. What kind of oven pan did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom