• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain N

I tried to make a cake over the weekend and doing the icing if much harder than I had expected!

wallecake1.jpg

wallecake2.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
is it really spicy?

Anyway looks like it has a nice crust on the exterior, I hope its fluffy inside.

It's nit spicy like chili peppers, but lots of "Christmassy" spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, etc. I tried to get the inside fluffy, but it was more moist and heavy than fluffy. It's hard getting cakes fluffy when you can't use eggs.

OnkelC said:
nice cake. spice cakes are uncommon in the summer, it's a classic for the pre-christams season over here. What kind of oven pan did you use?

I used a bundt pan that looks like this:
BundtPan60thAnniversaryAV

Captain N Awesome cake! I can't believe the patience you had for it. 4-5 hours? Crazy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, i was just wonderung because the cake was so compact. i imagined that you used a similar pan, but wanted to be sure. thanks for the heads up!

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, i was just wonderung because the cake was so compact. i imagined that you used a similar pan, but wanted to be sure. thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, the batter actually only filled up 1/3 of the pan oops. I think I need to make a double batch of the batter next time to really fill up the pan haha.

Hey, are you in LA for E3? We should go get something to eat if you are!

Dinner tonight was made by the BF.
2669730395_778c421418_o.jpg

Egg salad sandwich (with fresh chives from my balcony!)

2669730491_097da7b830_o.jpg

Beet salad with beets from the farmer's market.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You couldn't use eggs in the spice cake, but then you're having an egg salad sandwich... Or is it just your boyfriend who won't eat them?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
:lol :lol :lol
thanks for the invites!
unfortunately, I'm stuck in Neuss/Germany at the moment, doing diplomatic tasks to keep the smoking ban in bars and restaurants at bay...
smallCIMG0749.jpg

Cosmic Bus said:
You couldn't use eggs in the spice cake, but then you're having an egg salad sandwich... Or is it just your boyfriend who won't eat them?

Long story short, when I made the spice cake, we didn't have any "special" eggs.

He orders eggs from a no-kill free-range farm online and we didn't get some till yesterday.

I'll eat everything and anything. I'm non-discriminatory =) Plus, I like the challenge of baking with key ingredients missing.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
:lol :lol :lol
thanks for the invites!
unfortunately, I'm stuck in Neuss/Germany at the moment, doing diplomatic tasks to keep the smoking ban in bars and restaurants at bay...
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/LiegeMaastricht/smallCIMG0749.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL, that pic makes your comment look that much more epic.

Well fight the good fight my man, I always believe in the right to choose. Now cigarette marketing campaigns is a whole other issue though

Cigarettes are garbage, anyways. If you want to enjoy tobacco, get yourself a pipe and some Escudo or Dunhill #965, or some good cigars. Habitually smoking cigs is like stuffing yourself at McDonald's every day. Probably even worse.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slidewinder said:
Cigarettes are garbage, anyways. If you want to enjoy tobacco, get yourself a pipe and some Escudo or Dunhill #965, or some good cigars. Habitually smoking cigs is like stuffing yourself at McDonald's every day. Probably even worse.
Lebowski.jpg

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. "

Eh. That was not an anti-tobacco post. Tobacco is WONDERFUL. It's cigarettes that are shit; shit that is specifically engineered to ADDICT you to that particular FORM of tobacco consumption, while, sadly, depriving you of 98+% of the real greatness of the substance itself.

Read some of these reviews of highly-regarded pipe tobaccos, and ask yourself how those experiences compare to your HBs or whatever you smoke. Better yet, buy yourself a cheap-ass pipe and whatever is sold in bulk as an 'English blend' (for starters) at your local tobacconist (just be sure that you aren't getting vanilla- or cherry-flavored junk).

Cigarettes really are crap, invariably. They are, and were originally, designed to be.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
slidewinder said:
Eh. That was not an anti-tobacco post. Tobacco is WONDERFUL. It's cigarettes that are shit; shit that is specifically engineered to ADDICT you to that particular FORM of tobacco consumption, while, sadly, depriving you of 98+% of the real greatness of the substance itself.

Read some of these reviews of highly-regarded pipe tobaccos, and ask yourself how those experiences compare to your HBs or whatever you smoke. Better yet, buy yourself a cheap-ass pipe and whatever is sold in bulk as an 'English blend' (for starters) at your local tobacconist (just be sure that you aren't getting vanilla- or cherry-flavored junk).

Cigarettes really are crap, invariably. They are, and were originally, designed to be.
cigarettes are much easier to consume and of better availability. To keep it with food analogies, hot dog is easier to consume in everyday situations than, say, a beef wellington, which is undoubtedly the better food.

SRG01

slidewinder said:

Are cigarettes more cancerous than normal tobacco?

I really want to cook something but all I have is a stove and a toaster oven. Any suggestions of something I should try to cook with possibly a recipe? Doesn't have to have a recipe I suppose but would make things easier. Thanks for any suggestions!

Flo

OnkelC said:
Flo, long time no see! What's the pocket filled with?
Apple, it looks a little better than it tasted, I should have used more sour apples. I still ate four of them though :D

Zyzyxxz

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I really want to cook something but all I have is a stove and a toaster oven. Any suggestions of something I should try to cook with possibly a recipe? Doesn't have to have a recipe I suppose but would make things easier. Thanks for any suggestions!

a stove is all you really need for most things.

Zyzyxxz

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"is that mayonnasie + cheese?!!!"

:lol Mayonnaise and Cheese on one side and banana and peanut butter on the other.

you sir are brave. I dare not dream so close to the sun for fear of melting thy wings.

2672807251_81db3b5804.jpg

Dinner tonight was natto, chopped kimchi, and grated radish over rice and topped with some store-bought poke and shrimp. The little blue dish on the side is sauteed watermelon skin (the white fleshy parts) my mom made -- it's fantastic if you've never had it.

2673627412_410493a7e5.jpg

My favorite method of natto+rice delivery.

Flo

Zyzyxxz said:
Hey Flo whats inside those bell peppers other than cheese?
Mashed potatoe with cheese flavour, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and some spring onion. There is actually very little cheese on top, but it looks like a lot because it has the same colour as the potatoe.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, thanks for sharing and the awesome as usual presentation. personally, i can't stand natto, though.

Zaraki_Kenpachi, YAY, that's the spirit! you could try peanut butter instead of mayo the next time.

"Zaraki_Kenpachi, YAY, that's the spirit! you could try peanut butter instead of mayo the next time."

They were all on there. Peanut Butter, Mayo, Bananas, and Cheese all on one sandwich. :D

Edit: And NakedSushi's food looks awesome. I'm jealous.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"Zaraki_Kenpachi, YAY, that's the spirit! you could try peanut butter instead of mayo the next time."

They were all on there. Peanut Butter, Mayo, Bananas, and Cheese all on one sandwich. :D
my bad, sorry, forgot to type "just" in front of peanut butter...

"my bad, sorry, forgot to type "just" in front of peanut butter..."

Ah, I gotcha. Ya, I was gonna mess with it again today since I have a bunch of cheese left still. The only thing I didn't care for too much was the bananas got warm and gooey by the end from the toast still being hot and didn't taste as good as when I started eating it. Other than that it was really good. :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"my bad, sorry, forgot to type "just" in front of peanut butter..."

Ah, I gotcha. Ya, I was gonna mess with it again today since I have a bunch of cheese left still. The only thing I didn't care for too much was the bananas got warm and gooey by the end from the toast still being hot and didn't taste as good as when I started eating it. Other than that it was really good. :D

If you can find it around you, marmite is fantastic with peanut butter. It tastes like meat!

"If you can find it around you, marmite is fantastic with peanut butter. It tastes like meat!"

Hmm, I've never even heard of that before. I'll have to look around for it.

Cooks of Neogaf, I need your help/suggestions. My lady friend (whom I really dig but am not dating quite yet) is coming over Saturday and i've decided to impress her with a huge home cooked meal. Its going to be 3 dishes and a lot of it is based on things she's told me she likes to eat (the chicken, green beans, and strawberry portions of the 3 course meal) I've never made the main and side dish so take a look a the recipes and let me know what you think and if I should alter anything. (oh and of course you'll get pics and a reposting of the recipes when its all cooked)

Main dish- Cumin Chicken (Jeera Chicken)

Ingredients
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon(s) cumin seeds
3 green chillies finely chopped
2 medium onions grated
8 medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
2 teaspoons grated garlic
8 teaspoon(s) grated ginger
1 teaspoon(s) cumin powder
1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
1 cup(s) hot water
cumin powder to garnish

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add the green chillies and sliced onions. Saute on medium heat for about 3 minutes or till the onions are soft and light golden.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook stirring for about 8 minutes or till the chicken pieces are no longer pink.
3. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or till the chicken pieces are well cooked. If the chicken is not yet cooked and the gravy looks dry, add more hot water little by little as required whilst stirring. Cover and cook on low heat till done.
Serve hot garnished with a sprinkling of cumin powder.

Side dish- Green Bean and Mushroom Medley

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
* 2 carrots, cut into thick strips (will probably just use baby carrots here)
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 onion, sliced
* 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (will probably substitute with black pepper)

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Place green beans and carrots in 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm. Drain.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until almost tender. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in green beans, carrots, salt, seasoned salt, garlic salt, and white pepper. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Strawberry smoothies

Well pretty self explanatory. The touch I throw in is yogurt and a small small dasher of rose water. Finally, when its ready, I garnish the top with a small amount of black pepper. Actually very yummy.

Zyzyxxz

g35twinturbo said:
I love wet eggs, so much better then regular starched eggs.

wait um... whats the difference?

@ obijkenobi

Sounds like a good plan, if you've cooked before then you should know to be careful with chicken as it can easily dry up and nobody likes dry chicken.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Zyzyxxz said:
wait um... whats the difference?

@ obijkenobi

Sounds like a good plan, if you've cooked before then you should know to be careful with chicken as it can easily dry up and nobody likes dry chicken.

Well (I might have the terminology wrong) but wet eggs has moisture almost like a running egg but cooked and still has the fluffy shape.

Starched eggs are fluffy dry eggs, similar to what you get at restaurants.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
obijkenobi said:
Cooks of Neogaf, I need your help/suggestions. My lady friend (whom I really dig but am not dating quite yet) is coming over Saturday and i've decided to impress her with a huge home cooked meal. Its going to be 3 dishes and a lot of it is based on things she's told me she likes to eat (the chicken, green beans, and strawberry portions of the 3 course meal) I've never made the main and side dish so take a look a the recipes and let me know what you think and if I should alter anything. (oh and of course you'll get pics and a reposting of the recipes when its all cooked)

Main dish- Cumin Chicken (Jeera Chicken)

Ingredients
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon(s) cumin seeds
3 green chillies finely chopped
2 medium onions grated
8 medium pieces (about 800 grams) of chicken
2 teaspoons grated garlic
8 teaspoon(s) grated ginger
1 teaspoon(s) cumin powder
1 teaspoon(s) hot spice mix (garam masala) powder
1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
1 cup(s) hot water
cumin powder to garnish

1. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add the green chillies and sliced onions. Saute on medium heat for about 3 minutes or till the onions are soft and light golden.
2. Add the chicken pieces and cook stirring for about 8 minutes or till the chicken pieces are no longer pink.
3. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or till the chicken pieces are well cooked. If the chicken is not yet cooked and the gravy looks dry, add more hot water little by little as required whilst stirring. Cover and cook on low heat till done.
Serve hot garnished with a sprinkling of cumin powder.

Side dish- Green Bean and Mushroom Medley

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
* 2 carrots, cut into thick strips (will probably just use baby carrots here)
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1 onion, sliced
* 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (will probably substitute with black pepper)

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Place green beans and carrots in 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm. Drain.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until almost tender. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in green beans, carrots, salt, seasoned salt, garlic salt, and white pepper. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Strawberry smoothies

Well pretty self explanatory. The touch I throw in is yogurt and a small small dasher of rose water. Finally, when its ready, I garnish the top with a small amount of black pepper. Actually very yummy.

The Cumin chicken sounds great, but be careful that your ladyfriend can handle the spice, unless she is an authentic desi that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom