• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
stock pic of tonights dish:
smallP1010417.jpg

jarosh

i don't know if you use this term in germany, onkel, but here in switzerland we call canned carrots & peas "kugellager". it's used tongue-in-cheek by both the people who love it and the ones who scoff at it. i definitely belong to the first group though ;)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Relix said:
Jesus, Onkel make a recipe book and I would buy it in a hitch!

The PDF doesn't count :lol
:lol thanks.

jarosh said:
i don't know if you use this term in germany, onkel, but here in switzerland we call canned carrots & peas "kugellager". it's used tongue-in-cheek by both the people who love it and the ones who scoff at it. i definitely belong to the first group though ;)
:lol nice term for them, they only go as "Erbsen und Möhrchen" here. Dunno why, but they are the classic side dish for Schnitzel since generations. It's got to be the canned variant, too, fresh or deep frozen produce just doesn't give the same taste sensation...

Zyzyxxz

Xabora said:
Tomarrow... I shall not let down the bacon gods!

haha, oh boy this could be interesting.

Anyway I'm chilling at my parent's home this weekend and they stock their fridge differently from me so I just made do with what I could.

Since I wasn't too hungry I just used some leftover rice with a side of egg and chinese sausage. I was just messing around trying to make low-art look like high-art, more like a mockery of fancy restaurants but yeah. So you can get an idea how board I was at my parents home since my brothers were hogging the computer and my PS3 and I had nowhere to go this day.

mmm-mmm, a nice cup of home made chrysanthemum tea to go with it.
2683144841_9a1e6bdb8e_b.jpg

2683949656_16dd2cdfc4_b.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
I was just messing around trying to make low-art look like high-art, more like a mockery of fancy restaurants but yeah. So you can get an idea how board I was at my parents home since my brothers were hogging the computer and my PS3 and I had nowhere to go this day.
yeah, arranging the dish is nearly as much fun as cooking it...:D really nice effort there. How are chinese sausages spiced?

best pic of low-key food I took so far was of a simple pasta/cheese/ketchup combo, lightning was -by accident- perfect:
smallP1000847.jpg

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
yeah, arranging the dish is nearly as much fun as cooking it...:D really nice effort there. How are chinese sausages spiced?

Taken from Wiki since I didn't even know much about it though I've been eating them for since I could remember.

# La Chang (臘腸) is a dried, hard sausage usually made from pork and a high content of fat. It is normally smoked, sweetened, and seasoned.

so yeah it is not healthy for you but its fast and easy, one of my guilty pleasures I must say.

CTLance

Canned carrots&peas are awesome. Of course, fresh produce has its place too, but I have to agree with OnkelC that Schnitzel needs a side dish made with the canned variety. :D

Flo

Last night I ate a quiche with mushrooms, they are normally brown/baked (not burnt) and it tasted great.
opcvmp.jpg

Tonight I think I'll eat pasta or pancakes!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Quiche looks fine, thanks for sharing!

Sunday-morning-experimentation-age:
When I was buying cigarettes at the gas station this noon, i saw the new Red Bull Cola on sale, so I had to try it out (not worth it IMHO):
smallP1040150.jpg

smallP1040153.jpg

The wife made a lemon cake yesterday:
smallP1040148.jpg

smallP1040149.jpg

And all the peanut butter talk recently made me try it out with kiri (cream cheese targeted at kids, but delicious nonetheless):

smallP1040162.jpg

smallP1040159.jpg

Jacobi

Banned
Red Bull Cola is an interesting concept though, I hope the competitors follow. I think Pepsi or Coca Cola have something similar in Britain

VaLiancY

This thread should be locked, it's a crime against mankind's stomach full or emtpy.

I'm dying to see how this pizza will come out

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
VaLiancY said:
This thread should be locked, it's a crime against mankind's stomach full or emtpy.

I'm dying to see how this pizza will come out
it'll come out something like this:
smallP1030557.jpg

smallP1020793.jpg

smallP1030562.jpg

or this:
smallP1030550.jpg

smallP1030556.jpg

or this:
smallP1030564.jpg

:D

Tf53

OK, first time post, Onkel managed to persuade me. Here's one of my all-time favorite dishes. I realised I hadn't made it in such a long time that I'd almost forgotten the recipe. About time to revisit it, wouldn't you say?

Pasta Siciliana

Ingredients:

qxxz9jq85jzhf699vgvl.jpg

600 g minced meat
600 g tomatoes
2 cubes of beef stock (1 cube => 5 dl, but only use 7 dl of water combined)
a cup of fresh basil
2 medium-sized onions (I use powder, cause it's easier)
garlic based on your preference (I use powder, cause it's easier)
black pepper
cinnamon
(dash of soy sauce)

First off, we have to blanch the tomatoes. Make diagonal cuts that go all the way around the tomato, like so:,

2i2qp7n5ukihz9du284x.jpg

Then boil some water. Add the tomatoes, and when the skin starts to peel off, take them out. We don't want to boil the tomatoes, just to make the skin come off. It should slide off quite easily.

ih2s3ift3kggfrk6j91.jpg

fjrtb1pg7whaigp2nezm.jpg

Dice the tomato into small cubes. If you wish, you can take the hard parts out during the dicing process.

df6lz3zj930aduj98jl.jpg

Prepare the beef stock. 7 dl of strong stock is needed.

wzv0l4y276bcv8wqaitq.jpg

Brown the onions, garlic and minced meat. Season it with black pepper (and soy sauce).

2r2gffnt14y5rm1jhpz6.jpg

Add the tomatoes and the beef stock. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring every now and then. Meanwhile, prepare some pasta. Gnocchi or any other "open" pasta is preferred. I found this, so I decided to try it:

2x9vboh53f3g8vlbwrc7.jpg

When the sauce has simmered for about 25 minutes, add a cup of chopped fresh basil.

b1c87uujwpc6t4bp09uw.jpg

Drain the pasta, put it in a huge bowl and pour the sauce on top of the pasta. Mix carefully, so the sauce goes inside the pasta. Serve and enjoy!

ms54s9ennizj6xbqps4e.jpg

xvr8iikj9ziswcqd2it.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
great dish, great recipe, great pics!

Thank you very much for sharing and welcome to ze GAF kitchen. the siciliana are a more summer-compatible variant of the traditional bolognese, very nice on a mild july night...

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your dishes and awesome photography.

pizza dough is rising for an hour now, i'm gonna knead it down for a second go and start the oven in about 30 minutes.

Flo said:
Last night I ate a quiche with mushrooms, they are normally brown/baked (not burnt) and it tasted great.
opcvmp.jpg

Tonight I think I'll eat pasta or pancakes!

That doesn't look burnt at all. I call it charred. I hate underdone mushrooms, so I prefer it charred =)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, Pizza was nice. I added a bit more sugar to the dough because I read that it'll make the dough crunchier. It worked:
smallP1040164.jpg

smallP1040166.jpg

Enjoy.

note to self: When we move, make sure to get a dedicated pizza oven ;)

JEKKI

dang sum1 in another thread showed me this thread!!

:subscribes:

I havent cooked me anything ever since I moved back in with the parents... when I move out again I'll be sure to show u all the skillz!!!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
JEKKI said:
dang sum1 in another thread showed me this thread!!

:subscribes:

I havent cooked me anything ever since I moved back in with the parents... when I move out again I'll be sure to show u all the skillz!!!
do it.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
So, Pizza was nice. I added a bit more sugar to the dough because I read that it'll make the dough crunchier. It worked:

note to self: When we move, make sure to get a dedicated pizza oven ;)

Wow that looks good, I keep telling myself that I will make my own pizza but I always have something else easier and faster to cook and use that as an excuse.

When you says dedicated pizza oven do you mean a stone one? That would be really nice.

Which reminds me if I ever do buy a house I want to put in a tandoori oven. That be badass.

JEKKI said:

B3773r w@+ch 0u7z 4 d@ h@xx0rzz w1t th31r 1337 skillz!

JEKKI

Zyzyxxz said:
B3773r w@+ch 0u7z 4 d@ h@xx0rzz w1t th31r 1337 skillz!
lol what does that mean??

better watch out for the (word I dont know, haxors?) with their 1337 skillz??

if you're talking shyt about skillz then u suck, skillz = life!!!!

some weeks ago I had to make chili dogs but I only had enough chili for one hot dog... so I used guacamole on the 2nd one!!!

2458378760_e25816b7fa.jpg

jarosh

tonight's dinner: bombay fish curry

ingredients: leek (or onion and garlic), mango, ginger, madras curry powder, chili powder, coconut milk, fish

leek
2107-1.jpg

+ curry powder and ginger
2107-3.jpg

2107-4.jpg

add coconut milk and mango puree
2107-5.jpg

2107-2.jpg

2107-6.jpg

chili powder, pepper, salt
2107-7.jpg

add fish (pangasius)
2107-8.jpg

fin
2107-9.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
jarosh, SALAAM BOMBAY! great dish!

JEKKI, guarcamole on hot dog sound like a good idea. more of this please.

thanks to the both of you for sharing.

had some chanterelles for lunch and tortellini for dinner:

smallP1010256.jpg

smallP1020057.jpg

Wallach

jarosh said:
tonight's dinner: bombay fish curry

ingredients: leek (or onion and garlic), mango, ginger, madras curry powder, chili powder, coconut milk, fish

What's it taste like? Looking at your list there it reminds me a bit of thai panang curry, which is far and away my favorite. It smells absolutely divine.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Oh man that looks so delicious. I love anything curried. Can I come over for dinner?

Won't be anything left, sorry I ate it all.

Wallach said:
What's it taste like? Looking at your list there it reminds me a bit of thai panang curry, which is far and away my favorite. It smells absolutely divine.

Doesn't panang usually come in a paste? I assume this would be more along the lines of an Indian curry because of the mango and what looks to be indian curry powder

jarosh

nakedsushi said:
Oh man that looks so delicious. I love anything curried. Can I come over for dinner?
me too. i really love curry. you should definitely come over and eat the leftovers... i made too much.

Wallach said:
i really liked it a lot. it has a very peculiar taste (in a good way), very sweet and 'mangoey'. madras curry isn't very spicy but the added chili powder gave it quite a bit of punch. i just love the flavor combo of creamy coconut, sweet mango and spicy chili. works really well in this curry. the fish is only cooked in the sauce for a few minutes. if you cut it into small pieces it will really soak up the flavor and stay juicy and tender.

Zyzyxxz said:
Doesn't panang usually come in a paste? I assume this would be more along the lines of an Indian curry because of the mango and what looks to be indian curry powder
it sure is an indian curry. after all it's called BOMBAY curry and uses MADRAS powder :p

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
it sure is an indian curry. after all it's called BOMBAY curry and uses MADRAS powder :p

reading > me.

Let's just assume I was attempting to analyze food from sight alone.

But anyway yeah I love curry but I eat it less during the summer since I like my curry spicy and I start sweating when I eat it on a hot day like now. Seeing your pictures make me wanna cook some but at the same time I don't.

BEHOLD: the Wienerschnitzel (brand) $3.33 "deal."
not_really_weinerschnitzel.jpg

I've had the dogs before when I was drunk, but never anything else from there. Sober, the dog was really pretty bad. That chili cheeseburger (that thing in the middle) was disgusting. The fries were just unspeakably horrible.

Zyzyxxz

Din-din for me tonight! Korean BBQ chicken and wieners!

My mashed potatoes look funny because I didn't have any cream/milk on hand.

2691168373_88831e9ae3_b.jpg

kassatsu

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
We've got stew baby!
82308120_353c2a9160.jpg

looks like its simple to make but very tasty, care to tell us the process my interested is piqued.
Sautee some onions and garlic.
Add beef (coated in flour with some salt and pepper)
After you brown the beef add some v8(3cups) and water(1cup) with hot sauce, some beef bouillon, and some bay leaves. (Bring to a boil then reduce heat)
Cook that for about 1.5hrs.
Add veggies of your choice and cook for another hr. (bring to a boil and reduce heat)

Then you have stew ;)

Kuran

Banned
OnkelC said:
what happened to the mashed potatoes?

Thats sauce, actually.. I only had pepper sauce in the house.

The mashed potatoes are underneath.. when I was adding some pepper I accidentally spilled waaaay too much on them, and instead of scooping it off I decided it was best to just mix it with the potatoes.

I took the image as a lesson to myself, I need to change my ways!

JEKKI

I took leftover beef from dinner and put it on bread, put sum cheese, threw it in the toaster oven, and finally put sum BBQ sauce...

2gya7nd.jpg

how to make this better?!?!?!?!

I needa buy sum peppers btw...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom