• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
slidewinder said:
Some roasted poblano peppers, stuffed with a mixture of shredded chicken and canned enchilada sauce, topped with more sauce and some Oaxaca cheese (basically a really salty string cheese). Although messy-looking, they were delicious.

These look and sound very good. I might have to try it (or a variation of) in the next week or so, assuming I can find poblanos at the grocery store. Were they roasted on a grill or in the oven?

scottnak

Some random pics I took with my new laptop. (I THINK it's an upgrade from my cellphone. I really have no idea... haha)

^ A tasty fruit tart my roommate made...

^ A little experimentation with Napolitan* noodles. Used some udon noodles instead of regular pasta cause that's what I had in hand. Also a lack of veggies made me just go with that plus some spicy sausages... but hey, turned out amazing. Definitely glad it came out nice.
*Dunno if that's the right name translating from Japanese... (ナポリタン)

^ Curried Omurice! Had just a bit of leftover curry, so I threw it in the pan and made some curried fried rice, then topped a nice fluffy egg on top of it. Also added some leftover triple-cheese-double-baked mashed potatoes. Mm.

^ And some takeout Mexican food at a place that just opened nearby. It's right on the way back from classes so... I might be frequenting this place a lot. It was great! (Unfortunately a bit pricey... but we'll see....)

Hm. I forget if these thumbnails will frog out on me...

Cosmic Bus said:
Were they roasted on a grill or in the oven?
I roasted those in the oven, under the broiler element with the rack moved as close to it as possible. That works pretty well, but a grill should be even better if it puts out enough heat (I only have a small one that doesn't). Basically the more direct heat you can muster, the better. Some people even roast them directly on the burners of a gas range.

slidewinder said:
saladito.jpg

These things, on the other hand, were not. That's a 'saladito': a dried, salted plum (here covered with chili, although you can get lemon-flavored, etc., ones too) that some Mexicans apparently enjoy as a snack. Got to be the single saltiest thing I have ever tried in my life; just unbearable. I think they must soak the fresh plums in brine until they're saturated with salt, and then once they're dried the salt concentration goes through the roof. Just look at that nutrition info, for God's sake.

Apparently the Chinese have something similar, although I don't know that they suck on them straight as snacks the way some Mexican people do.

Hm...I love these. I never had a problem with their extreme saltiness. But maybe because I grew up on them. Yeah, the Chinese have the same thing and they eat it straight as a snack as well, but usually they're more sweet, not as salty, and I've never had a spicy Chinese salted plum.

Vietnamese people like dropping one in the bottom of a glass and filling it with lemonade and soda water. That's pretty good. A nice mixture of salty, sweet, and sour. I suppose you can do the same with the Mexican ones?

Got quite the update gaf

Lemon spiced rice
14bhmy8.jpg

Monterrey chicken with potatoes

24n4gu1.jpg

May their powers combine!

10n8bk8.jpg

Honey/mustard glazed baked chicken
2d1oh7l.jpg

Spanish Rice
nx7rbt.jpg

Their powers combined!

28sv7lt.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I just had a great weekend with the (extended) family picking apples in my parent's garden. Obviously heaps of apple-based food and drinks. Couple of types of apple pies, 5 types of apple juice, etc. Some photos:

2924261320_07d2c46f2e.jpg

2923424295_ab96f3a715.jpg

2923425831_37fbd6e18a.jpg

2924286754_277280fbab.jpg

And for Onkel, some more Dutch student cuisine:

2924320634_66a29451b5.jpg

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Zyzyxxz said:
props on the presentation, and good to see you use cold rice for your fried rice I find that it makes a big difference.

Yup, using anything other than cold, cooked rice will result in a gooey mess. If I don't have pre-cooked, cold rice on hand, I just cook some rice, spread it on a wide plate, and stick it in the freezer for 20 minutes, works just the same.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
hiryu said:
Recipe and instructions for the green beans please. They look great.

Pretty simple. First you cook the green beans, but not all the way, take'm out of the cooking water before they are completely done. Basically beans 'al dente'. Fry a small onion (or half of a big one) in some oil, together with 1 or 2 cloves of garlic (chopped up finely or grinded). Add beans, stir-fry them for a short time (minute or so) and add a little soy sauce (I used Kikkoman). Optional you can throw in some chopped up bacon when frying the onion/garlic for the 'deluxe' edition :).

I had a fail party last night for dinner =( I wanted to make spicy cabbage soup, but had the grand idea of using S&B mustard powder for the spicy. Not gonna try that again. It was awful, bitter, and not spicy at all. Decided to eat out that night.

Last week, though, I made refreshing neba-neba soba. It's the slimiest food on earth. Okra, natto, grated nagaimo, and green onions.
2923128505_ed8cb927c0_o.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Zyzyxxz said:
you're in SoCal right? Where do you find natto? I tried going to a Mitsuwa but I couldn't find any at all.

I've found natto at the Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa. Check the refrigerated area where you first come in.

Zyzyxxz

XMonkey said:
I've found natto at the Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa. Check the refrigerated area where you first come in.

The closest one to me is in San Gabriel and I checked that section like twice over just to make sure. Maybe they were out that day.

Zyzyxxz said:
The closest one to me is in San Gabriel and I checked that section like twice over just to make sure. Maybe they were out that day.

Yeah, I get mine at Mitsuwa or Nijiya in West LA. That's weird that the SG one wouldn't have it. Usually it's near the tofu, in small styrofoam squares stacked together. They might also be in the frozen foods section now that I think of it.

funk0ar said:
What does okra taste like?

Hm...I guess it's kinda like a slimey baby zuccini. Except instead of the usual interior of a zuccini, there are soft seeds and slime. If you've never had okra, the easiest way to get into them is to eat battered and fried okra. That cuts down on the slime.

Zyzyxxz

finally got some weekend cooking time!

claypot rice with salted and dried duck breast, dried pork belly, and Chinese sausage

2929269489_e3ae13c2d1_b.jpg

Chinese tea eggs

2929268417_3086f755c7_b.jpg

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
alright alright. stop it. right there.

you tell me all about chinese tea eggs! now!

Nothing really too it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_eggs

As for what I use, most recipes call for soy sauce, salt, and star anise while the choice of tea can vary most go with black tea that is strong in flavor.

I like to add sugar as well. I don't really think the amount matters too much as the more you use the more flavor the eggs will have and I think you will know if you have too much.

What I used:

2 black tea bags
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
I couldn't find the star anise in my cupboard though so thats for next time.

First you hardboil them in regular water, some people like to boil them partially until they are almost fully cooked and then you take them out of the water, run them under cool water and when they safe to grab hit the shell with a spoon all over it but don't remove the shell.

Put all the ingredients back into the pot of boiling water, put the eggs back in. Now simmer it on low for 2-3 hours at least. The pic I took was at only 1 hour.

Here is an updated pic after 4-5 hours.
2930107303_2757fc936e_b.jpg

Xelinis

Zyzyxxz said:

As for what I use, most recipes call for soy sauce, salt, and star anise while the choice of tea can vary most go with black tea that is strong in flavor.

I like to add sugar as well. I don't really think the amount matters too much as the more you use the more flavor the eggs will have and I think you will know if you have too much.

What I used:

2 black tea bags
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce

First you hardboil them in regular water, some people like to boil them partially until they are almost fully cooked and then you take them out of the water, run them under cool water and when they safe to grab hit the shell with a spoon all over it but don't remove the shell.

Put all the ingredients back into the pot of boiling water, put the eggs back in. Now simmer it on low for 2-3 hours at least. The pic I took was at only 1 hour.

Nothing I know about eggs matters anymore. I must have this now. Thank you.

funk0ar

Zyzyxxz said:

What I used:

2 black tea bags
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2930107303_2757fc936e_b.jpg[/IMG]

Wow!! That looks awesome!

Do you just eat them like that? I must try this..

Zyzyxxz

funk0ar said:
Wow!! That looks awesome!

Do you just eat them like that? I must try this..

yup they can be eaten just like that, I guess if you are one of those body builders its a good way to make hardboiled eggs taste better.

They go great with ramen, rice, beef stew actually.

jarosh

Zyzyxxz said:

What I used:

2 black tea bags
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2930107303_2757fc936e_b.jpg
that is awesome! i will try this!

do you leave the tea bag(s) in the water for the full 4 or 5 hours?

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
that is awesome! i will try this!

do you leave the tea bag(s) in the water for the full 4 or 5 hours?

well I did leave it in there for a while so I yeah I suppose so. If you have a slow cooker that should work too. I haven't personally tried it but I've seen small shops do that in Hong Kong.

jarosh

teaeggs.jpg

teaeggs2.jpg

:D

they were good! but the tea flavor wasn't as strong as i had expected/hoped, even though i used a very strong black tea and the eggs were in there for almost 4 hours.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cosmic Bus said:
I find the idea of these tea eggs repulsive. I mean, I like chocolate milk but you don't see me boiling pasta in it...
dunno, if a black tea is used, the smokey flavor could add favorably to the egg taste. the additional use of soy sauce should give an interesting taste, too.

jarosh

Cosmic Bus said:
I find the idea of these tea eggs repulsive. I mean, I like chocolate milk but you don't see me boiling pasta in it...
that's a very closed-minded view.

how about balsamic vinegar on strawberries? how about prosciutto on cantaloupe? curries with mango? pasta with figs? dessert creams with basil? chocolate and chili peppers? green tea chocolate? ribs marinated with smoked tea? how about those dried salted plums a few posts up? and who the fuck put sugar in my ketchup! BLASPHEMY, am i right?

besides, these are salty eggs. and even if they weren't - did you never have fried eggs with cinnamon and sugar? you're missing out!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i saw giada delaurentis shave some dark chocolate on top of a braised short ribs ragu with tagliatelle just the other day. it looked amaaaazing

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Fine-dining age!

Had a 9-course truffle menu on friday. Everything served with white truffle, and we got to bring our own bottles of wine, which is unusual in Sweden (if not downright illegal).

Photos of the courses I remembered to take a phot of.

1: Cold potato and leek soup with white truffle

2: Poached quail egg on crutong with coppa, pancetta and a truffle hollandaise
tryffelinfernot001.jpg

3: Pork cheek-ravioli with truffle broth

4: Langoustine carpaccio with parmesan and white truffle
tryffelinfernot003.jpg

5: Risotto with crusty fried sweetbread and white truffle
tryffelinfernot011.jpg

6: Scallop-rolled halibut with white truffle, red wine jous, pure of Jerusalem artichoke
tryffelinfernot012.jpg

7: Veal Rossini :D
tryffelinfernot014.jpg

8: Truffle-peccorino and home made truffle-rochetta
tryffelinfernot023.jpg

9: Chocolate Pannacotta with raspberry sorbet.
tryffelinfernot025.jpg

The wines were:

Gosset Millesimé Brut Rosé '85
Krug '96 (mine)
Château Leoville Poyferre '90
Henriot '79
Château d'Yguem '99

tryffelinfernot031.jpg

jarosh

alright i need your help real quick, irongaf.

i bought some frozen fish today (hoki). they always come in these cubed little packages. but this is really bizarre: this time some of them have some sort of white coating on them. looks like paint almost and you can kinda scrape it off too. here's some pics:

hoki1.jpg

hoki2.jpg

hoki3.jpg

i've never seen anything like this on frozen fish before. i'm not planning on using them anymore atm. but i was wondering if you guys knew anything about it...?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
keen, awesome meal! what was the occasion?

jarosh, ist das zeug aufgetaut oder trocken geblieben? Sieht nach Packungs -/ Kleberesten aus, scheint nicht aus dem Fisch selbst zu kommen. Wenn Du es großzügig entfernst, solltest Du den Fisch problemlos verwenden können.

Edit: the white stuff seems to not originate from the fish itself but looks more like packaging gone wrong. if removed, the fish can be used without problems.

Made deep fried mozzarella with pasta and tomato sauce tonight (pics from ze archive):
smallCIMG2051.jpg

smallCIMG2053.jpg

smallCIMG2054.jpg

Enjoy.

jarosh

OnkelC said:
jarosh, ist das zeug aufgetaut oder trocken geblieben? Sieht nach Packungs -/ Kleberesten aus, scheint nicht aus dem Fisch selbst zu kommen. Wenn Du es großzügig entfernst, solltest Du den Fisch problemlos verwenden können.
war nie aufgetaut. bin mir nicht sicher ob das wirklich verpackungsreste sind. habe festgestellt, dass es sich auf der rückseite nur mit schwierigkeiten lösen lässt. es scheint sich auch stellenweise irgendwie "hineingefressen" zu haben... darunter ist so eine art pelzige oberfläche, die sich nur abSCHNEIDEN lässt. riecht aber nach nichts. die fische sind allesamt einzeln verpackt in einer art papiertüte, an der so gar nichts klebriges ist. die ganze verpackung scheint sehr wenig mit dem weissen zeug zu tun zu haben - nur karton und innen papiertüten. sicherheitshalber verzichte ich jetzt mal auf den fisch.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
OnkelC said:
keen, awesome meal! what was the occasion?

Nothing really, the idea originated on wine forum I frequent. We did a wine tasting a couple of weeks ago, and one person who couldn't attend kinda put this together. Damn good evening, and damn good food and wines.

Also, that deep fried mozarella looked heart stoppingly good :D

SRG01

Sigh. I haven't had tea eggs since I was a kid. :(

There's also chinese red eggs, which use some sort of red rice wine I believe. It's mainly used for weddings and banquets though and it's very hard to find them these days.

Zoe

OnkelC said:
Made deep fried mozzarella with pasta and tomato sauce tonight (pics from ze archive):

Oh wow, I've never thought of that. I'll have to give it a try some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom