• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome food wrapper:
000003-2.jpg

Zyzyxxz

This will probably be the last of the skewered items from me for a while since I'm starting school again soon.

Korean bbq falvored wings
2890942519_1978a246e9_b.jpg

wings glazed with yakitori sauce, they got a little bit more charred than I would have preferred though...
2891779394_d32be17e2a_b.jpg

Well off to school for me so who knows if I will have the motivation to keep cooking stuff worth posting.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great looking wings and skewers, thanks for sharing. Have a nice time at school! Personally, I would love to see everyday student food/cuisine/cafeteria stuff.

Keep sharing!

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
Great looking wings and skewers, thanks for sharing. Have a nice time at school! Personally, I would love to see everyday student food/cuisine/cafeteria stuff.

Keep sharing!

LOL if I ate at my student commons every day I'd be broke poor.

No I try to eat well but cheaply during the school year due to rent/bills/books.

I'll try to snap a pic every now and then.

ice cream

Banned
I love reading this thread while I'm fasting (as it's Ramadan right now) and it's such a treat! Always give's my ideas what I should cook for when I open my fast and also helps me pass time!
Thanks guys :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yesterday I went to the supermarket and checking the international foods aisle I found a big ass jar of pickled watermelon!

I just googled the dish and I found out that pickled watermelon is known and consumed in the US. I've never seen such thing before. It looked beyond gross I can't picture it tasting any better but it kind of ignited my curiousity.

Just wanted to share this moment of stupor with the rest of GAF.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
daw840 said:
Does anyone at the restaraunt ever think its weird that you pull out a camera and start photographing the food?:lol

depends on the restaurant, actually. The chef of one place we visited was so enamored by the idea that he started to take a pic of his "weekly special" and place it on the tables. I never had a problem with it or was asked to stop it at any place, though.

Pickled watermelon sounds strange indeed, why would anybody do that?

mCACGj

OnkelC said:
depends on the restaurant, actually. The chef of one place we visited was so enamored by the idea that he started to take a pic of his "weekly special" and place it on the tables. I never had a problem with it or was asked to stop it at any place, though.

Pickled watermelon sounds strange indeed, why would anybody do that?

Actually, I can see it working. The sweetness of the watermelon works well with tangy things. I love watermelon on salads with tangy vinaigrettes. I recommend trying it sometime.

I made some sukiyaki yesterday, and tonight me and my girldfriend are once again gonna feast on the leftovers!!

Recipe:
I covered three things for this sukiyaki. Meat, veggies(and noddles) and sukiyaki sauce.

For the meat, I got some nice rib eye(but sirloin is good too)
and for the veggies I used:
1 Egg Plant
2 Romaine Lettuce
2 Leeks
Some Garlic and Carrots
1 can of Bamboo Shoots
and 1 can of Water Chestnuts.
sukiyaki1.jpg

For the sukiyaki sauce I used aproximately:
1/3 cup soy sauce
5 tbsps sake
7 tbsps sugar
1 cup water.
sukiyaki2.jpg

Mixed the ingredients for the sauce, cut the meat into thin slices and cut all the veggies into edible sizes.
sukiyaki3.jpg

I cooked the meat on a frying pan, using some sesame marinade, then poured some of the sukiyaki sauce over it, and brought it to boil.
sukiyaki4.jpg

At the same time I put leeks and carrots into an iron pot and boil them in the sukiyaki sauce as well.
sukiyaki5.jpg

Depending on how much boiling time the ingredient need, I then poured them into the pot one at a time(the meat as well), ending up with a big pot of greatness!
sukiyaki6.jpg

Since I brought the sake out for the sauce, I figured that I kept the whole meal Japanese and use it again!
sukiyaki7.jpg

Perfect opportunity for Melon Soda as well! Life was redeemed last night!
sukiyaki8.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
So, tonight's dinner was Andouille sausage with a mushroom risotto, store pre-packaged semi-crap unffortunately, but I added some aged cheddar, butter and fried shallots so it turned out pretty good. The sausage and cheese was from an english butcher and were pretty damn good.

korvochrisotto001.jpg

korvochrisotto010.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a cold coming on so I made a turkey noodle soup with tons of ginger, garlic and chili. Worked wonders =)

soppa.jpg

jarosh

that turkey noodle soup looks good. did you marinate it first or did you just cut it up, throw it in with the soup and boil it?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
jarosh said:
that turkey noodle soup looks good. did you marinate it first or did you just cut it up, throw it in with the soup and boil it?

IIRC, I marinated it in Soy Sauce, Siracca sauce, white whine vinegar, szechuan pepper, ginger and garlic.
I actually made all the components seperately. I made the chicken stock with chili, ginger, garlic etc, can't recall if I boiled the noodles in the stock or in a seperate pan. Anyway, fried the turkey, put it on top of the noodles and added the stock. And ate :D

Keen: Sausage with risotto looks delicious. I've never had butcher-bought sausage before. Is it much different than store-bought sausage?

I baked bread yesterday to make sandwiches:
2903332295_5ce2c0a965.jpg

2904176976_87f9eaacdd_o.jpg

Sandwiches had: yogurt + zaatar spread or bean dip, tomatoes, and avocado

Then tonight, the BF used the leftover bread for bread salad:
2904176334_0fdff6db1a.jpg

jarosh

nakedsushi said:
I've never had butcher-bought sausage before. Is it much different than store-bought sausage?
YES. if you find a good butcher the difference in quality can be quite astonishing actually.

Going through this thread at the end of the day is tough. Now I am all excited about cooking when I should be sleeping. Also, I just realized that my mouth is watering after looking at all the pictures. This is one awesome thread.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
jarosh said:
YES. if you find a good butcher the difference in quality can be quite astonishing actually.

Yes, they were miles better. And you don't have to worry about random crap being in the sausage, it's meat and spices.

Keen said:
Yes, they were miles better. And you don't have to worry about random crap being in the sausage, it's meat and spices.

I don't usually worry about random crap. Chinese people love random meat!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
utilizing the odd bits and pieces that we would otherwise find unappetizing and turning them into something delectable is the heart and soul of sausage-making, as i've always understood it. you take what was once regarded as crap meat, grind it to make it easier to process, mix it with some fat and spices in a casing, and voila--something good again, something easily preserved.

not that there's anything wrong with gussying up the sausage concept at this point in history--we have the resources to do so, naturally--but it's sort of like scoffing at hamburgers made from mixed ground beef, and insisting that they should all be made from ground filet mignon. chowing down on odds and ends is part of the culinary adventure of being a human, baby.

p.s. i like your bread, nakedsushi. well done. is it white bread?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beelzebozo said:
p.s. i like your bread, nakedsushi. well done. is it white bread?

Yeah it's Type 55 bread flour that's pretty high in protein, so there's a lot of gluten in it. My only problem with the bread I bake is that it's so dense! A loaf feels more heavy than a loaf of regular bakery-bought bread. Not sure what I need to do to make it more airy though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi said:
Yeah it's Type 55 bread flour that's pretty high in protein, so there's a lot of gluten in it. My only problem with the bread I bake is that it's so dense! A loaf feels more heavy than a loaf of regular bakery-bought bread. Not sure what I need to do to make it more airy though.
it depends on the type and amount of yeast as well as the temperature in the oven. a professional baker oven goes up to 280 degrees celsius, more than the typical household oven. for rye-type breads, you should pour (!) about one cup of water into the oven right after you put in the bread, helps to get a softer crust and more rising.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i doubt it's the amount of yeast you're using. much more likely is that you're degassing the dough when you shape it after your first rise. when you finish making your dough, let it rise once in a well-oiled bowl. then, as delicately as possible, form it into the desired shape, not punching it down. then you want to make sure the outside of the dough is still moist--i usually use some spray oil--and cover it with plastic wrap and let it double again.

then, follow onkel's advice about forming some steam when you put it on the baking stone, and if your bread is still dense, i'll be shocked.

i made pizza last night. first is a white pie with goat cheese, parmesan, fontina, roasted garlic, fresh oregano, basil, thyme, fresh tomato, and sea salt:

2ey8eit.jpg

second is a more standard pizza with my homemade marinara, roasted garlic, fontina, hot capicola, and basil:

i60akx.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beelzebozo, I am impressed. By all means, that is a Pro-Level looking Pizza. Conratulations on that fine specimen and thank you for sharing. Did you manage to achieve that result with a conventional oven?

I made a few cabbage rolls tonight, recipe can be found here:
Recipe
Result (stock pic):
smallP1030268.jpg

smallP1030275.jpg

I served Spaetzle alongside this time, though.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
...with a cup of tea ;)
P1040322.jpg

Todays topic: Microwaveable food and other dark secrets

Since I switched jobs this January, I had to move for the weekdays. Cooking under the week is kind of boring for one person, so I bought the first microwave in my life ever. Long Story short, I am beyond disappointed with the available foods for microwaves so far.

Please share your favorites in order to broaden my food horizons on the convenience part...

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Cold, cooked rice; Beef; Eggs beaten with Soy Sauce; Soy Sauce; Fish Sauce; Peanut Oil; Chopped Chillis: Tomatos; Coriander; Onions; Garlic; Coriander and White Pepper

2914172991_81f68a0876_b.jpg

Heat oil until smoking in skillet

2915014720_c989b74cfa_b.jpg

Fry eggs

2915015046_8b582262f0_b.jpg

Set aside

2915015350_88826fc1de_b.jpg

Add onions, garlic and chillis

2914174637_441d0c0d07_b.jpg

Add beef and fry until cooked

2914174997_ca8bccab8a_b.jpg

Add tomatos and rice

2914175321_8e0514d2d6_b.jpg

Add soy sauce, fish sauce and white pepper to taste

2915017162_5b9fce5d09_b.jpg

Stir until cooked

2915017522_82dbf1029c_b.jpg

Add chopped coriander and mix thoroughly

2914176381_3835dcbed1_b.jpg

Garnish with cucumber slices and serve

2915018196_3194144dd9_b.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
OnkelC said:
beelzebozo, I am impressed. By all means, that is a Pro-Level looking Pizza. Conratulations on that fine specimen and thank you for sharing. Did you manage to achieve that result with a conventional oven?

thanks!

and yeah, i used a conventional oven with a pizza stone. if you lay out your method for making pizza, i can probably give you some pointers as far as fine-tuning your steps to give it that professional touch. it's really not difficult at all. i even made my own crust, with a tweaked version of my bread recipe

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
capslock, very nice dish and wonderful presentation of the prep! Thanks for sharing and more of it!

beelzebozo said:
thanks!

and yeah, i used a conventional oven with a pizza stone. if you lay out your method for making pizza, i can probably give you some pointers as far as fine-tuning your steps to give it that professional touch. it's really not difficult at all. i even made my own crust, with a tweaked version of my bread recipe
Heh, thanks for the offer!
I know how to make a decent pizza, but lack the appropriate oven to do so (only hot air, doesn't get a pizza stone hot enough).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my oven goes up to ~550 degrees F. i wish it could go about a hundred degrees hotter. i've heard about people breaking the lock on the door of their oven and using the self-cleaning cycle to make pizza (gets ridiculously hot from what i understand), but i'm not brave enough to try it.

Zyzyxxz

capslock said:
Cold, cooked rice; Beef; Eggs beaten with Soy Sauce; Soy Sauce; Fish Sauce; Peanut Oil; Chopped Chillis: Tomatos; Coriander; Onions; Garlic; Coriander and White Pepper

props on the presentation, and good to see you use cold rice for your fried rice I find that it makes a big difference.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
making some fish tacos tonight. i'll try to remember to take some pictures. i cook all the time, but by the time i finish i'm so hungry and it smells so appetizing i usually forget to take some snapshots before i destroy it :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beelzebozo said:
making some fish tacos tonight. i'll try to remember to take some pictures. i cook all the time, but by the time i finish i'm so hungry and it smells so appetizing i usually forget to take some snapshots before i destroy it :lol
i feel you:lol :lol :lol
pics and recipe would be nice.

I went to the dark side of the microwave and had some microwaved rice tonight. not that bad, actually.

raw_chicken.jpg

Some ready-marinated chicken.

grilling_chicken.jpg

On the grill.

chicken_taco.jpg

Chopped, topped with some crispy raw cabbage and bottled salsa, and made into tacos.

stuffed_pepper.jpg

Some roasted poblano peppers, stuffed with a mixture of shredded chicken and canned enchilada sauce, topped with more sauce and some Oaxaca cheese (basically a really salty string cheese). Although messy-looking, they were delicious.

saladito.jpg

These things, on the other hand, were not. That's a 'saladito': a dried, salted plum (here covered with chili, although you can get lemon-flavored, etc., ones too) that some Mexicans apparently enjoy as a snack. Got to be the single saltiest thing I have ever tried in my life; just unbearable. I think they must soak the fresh plums in brine until they're saturated with salt, and then once they're dried the salt concentration goes through the roof. Just look at that nutrition info, for God's sake.

Apparently the Chinese have something similar, although I don't know that they suck on them straight as snacks the way some Mexican people do.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
great pics! thanks for sharing. I don't get the concept of a salted plum either.

Keep them coming, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom