• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Inspired by slidewinder's stuffed poblanos from a couple of pages back:

21mgdhu.jpg

My oven doesn't have a broiler, so I roasted the poblano on a sheet pan just over the element at the bottom of the oven at a high temperature. After they blistered and softened, I added the filling (rice, mushroom, onion, chipotle chili, sofrito, lime and orange juice, red cabbage) crumbled queso fresco over it and put them back into the oven for about ten minutes.

SRG01

kassatsu said:
My tea eggs are cooking. Will let you know how they turn out.

I am using 2 tea bags, soy sauce, and 5 spice powder.

Good choice. But better if it was actually the real thing! :D

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It's been a while! I made some cakes, and my friend took some nice photos. Here we have a Laphroaig whiskey chocolate truffle torte, and a tasty carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and marzipan carrots. The piping is a bit off on the carrot cake and my modelling skills aren't very good, but it was fun to make!

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What do the tea eggs taste like? I'm kind of interested now.

Im not a fan of eggs and im very interested as well. Would using Tea you regularly drink work fine? I eat scrambled eggs and the like but not a boiled egg.

Zyzyxxz

jarosh said:
:D

they were good! but the tea flavor wasn't as strong as i had expected/hoped, even though i used a very strong black tea and the eggs were in there for almost 4 hours.

Well made my man! Your pictures put mine to shame. I admit that the flavor was not too strong in mine, something a bit more subtle.

Next time I plan to leave them in a slow cooker for 6 hours and double the ingredients and see how that goes

kassatsu said:
My tea eggs are cooking. Will let you know how they turn out.

I am using 2 tea bags, soy sauce, and 5 spice powder.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2njh6c6.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

seems I've inspired other people to make tea eggs or it could be a strange coincidence.

[QUOTE=Metalic Sand]Im not a fan of eggs and im very interested as well. Would using Tea you regularly drink work fine? I eat scrambled eggs and the like but not a boiled egg.[/QUOTE]

I believe so, but most sources I've read say DO NOT USE GREEN TEA, it will make the eggs too bitter.

[QUOTE=Jill Sandwich]
[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/jillsandwich/DSC_0067.jpg

*drools*

I wish I was good at baking.

tea eggs taste like hard-boiled eggs with a hint of tea and soy. so, in a way, you don't have to flavor your hard-boiled egg while eating it! quite convenient, and very tasty. they are usually found in bentos, at least for chinese/taiwanese restaurants. don't have a recipe, but i'll ask my mom as she knows how to make it -- will get back to you irongaf about that.

made shepherd's pie tonight - ground beef, mixed veg, mashed taters, and topped with bacon. the only disappointment is that i wish it was colder outside! might have to make again when its winter!

shpie.jpg

Oh man you guys, great tea eggs! Makes me want to make some too, but now that the BF is eating eggs again, everytime I make them, they disappear too quickly. It's so hard to stop eating 2 or 3 eggs at a time when there are tea eggs around.

santouras

currently making lamb shanks but I don't have a casserole dish so I'm just doing it on the stove top. Will know in a few hours if it was successful or not :B

Aurelius

I’m new to this thread but I’m planning on trying those Thee Eggs soon. I’ll also post my recipe for “Maastrichts Zuurvlees” soon. :D

Wark

Zyzyxxz said:
Nothing really too it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_eggs

As for what I use, most recipes call for soy sauce, salt, and star anise while the choice of tea can vary most go with black tea that is strong in flavor.

I like to add sugar as well. I don't really think the amount matters too much as the more you use the more flavor the eggs will have and I think you will know if you have too much.

What I used:

2 black tea bags
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
I couldn't find the star anise in my cupboard though so thats for next time.

First you hardboil them in regular water, some people like to boil them partially until they are almost fully cooked and then you take them out of the water, run them under cool water and when they safe to grab hit the shell with a spoon all over it but don't remove the shell.

Put all the ingredients back into the pot of boiling water, put the eggs back in. Now simmer it on low for 2-3 hours at least. The pic I took was at only 1 hour.

Here is an updated pic after 4-5 hours.

I think I am going to try to make this tonight (or maybe either the Monte Cristo or Croque Madame from the sandwich thread). Damn, now I need to buy more things from the food store.

Lol, love that pic OnkelC. I don't think I'm going to show it to the BF though, he might regret starting to eat eggs.

Dinner tonight was claypot rice with vegan lamb (made out of soy I think), fried tofu, gailan, and shiitake.
2940223619_99ba7bcd32_o.jpg

I bought a claypot just for the occasion! Only $7 at the Chinese market. I love deals.

Oh yeah, I also got this AWESOME rice bowl. meow.
2940223747_275dd1cac8_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
I bought a claypot just for the occasion! Only $7 at the Chinese market. I love deals.

yay finally another claypot user here!

I hope yours will bring you years of use and turn out like mine - super black on the bottom and brown all over (from an original whitish-gray). I think my parent's have had it for over 10 years.

Well it holds nothing to my family's knife, bought it when we first came to this country a little over 20 years ago.

Zyzyxxz said:
yay finally another claypot user here!

I hope yours will bring you years of use and turn out like mine - super black on the bottom and brown all over (from an original whitish-gray). I think my parent's have had it for over 10 years.

How do you get the rice on the bottom to be crispy? Mine just turned out burned and chewy/hard, but not crispy at all. Also, any good tips on washing it? I heard you can't use soap on it.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
How do you get the rice on the bottom to be crispy? Mine just turned out burned and chewy/hard, but not crispy at all. Also, any good tips on washing it? I heard you can't use soap on it.

start off on medium high and once the water seeps below the rice and the top rice begins to look a little fluffy turn it down to medium-low to low and take time with it, if you leave it on medium or higher the entire time most likely you will get black burnt rice which is a real pain to clean off.

Each pot is different as I have three different sizes and I usually have to estimate + guess the perfect time to get the perfect crispy rice. I think you will have to experiment with the cooking times but for me if I use my small one which holds 1 cup of rice I usually leave it on low for 2-4 minutes after the rice is done to let the bottom layer get all nice and crunchy.

As for washing, if you don't plan to eat out of it then soak it immediately after removing the rice otherwise just soak it for a hours after eating and the rice will just wipe off. If you get burnt rice, I've found the best way to get it off is to let it dry out for day or more and then scrub it, soaking never seems to help for me.

Also if you plan to make traditional claypot rice with the classic chinese sausages try it with dark soy sauce! It's godly.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi and dear other posters,

i reckon a lot of really good loking photography to go along with your dishes lately. Do you use some kind of additional lighting? If so, which one?

Zyzyxxz said:
Also if you plan to make traditional claypot rice with the classic chinese sausages try it with dark soy sauce! It's godly.

Yeah, I made the claypot lamb and rice with a mix of dark soy sauce and light soy sauce. Soo good. I usually don't like dark soy sauce because it's so overpowering, but man it makes the claypot smell soooo good.

OnkelC said:
i reckon a lot of really good loking photography to go along with your dishes lately. Do you use some kind of additional lighting? If so, which one?

I just use the crappy kitchen lighting for a lot of the dinner shots and then fix them up using Aperture. What I found really helps is a steady hand with the slow shutter and most of all, white-balancing the camera before taking the shot. I set my camera to custom white balancing and just take a picture of a white index card I have handy.

I'm trying to save up for the Lowel EGO tabletop flourescent light here. It seems to do very natural lighting.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
OnkelC, and whoever else is interested:

Photojojo posted a really great article on food photography tips a while back, complete with example pics. If you want to improve your food photography it's worth taking a look at! http://photojojo.com/content/tips/food-photography-tips/

the point they make about natural lighting is really important. food always looks more appetizing in sunlight as opposed to the fluorescent lights in my kitchen :p

i took this strawberry picture with a very basic point-and-shoot digital. natural light is what made the difference and made it look so juicy and appetizing.

yIGLmucgz9klbxg6iorlR8Lp_500.jpg

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Yeah, I made the claypot lamb and rice with a mix of dark soy sauce and light soy sauce. Soo good. I usually don't like dark soy sauce because it's so overpowering, but man it makes the claypot smell soooo good.

yeah I'm not a fan of dark soy sauce , maybe it is more of an acquired taste but when it comes to claypot rice it's a whole different ball game.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
cookies and buns, a winning combination!:lol
thanks for sharing, funk0ar. and moar of it, pleeze.:D

smirkrevenge, that's an uncommon shape for an apple pie, what brought you to use the loaf pan?

cloudwalking and nakedsushi, thanks for the hints. having a daylight spot for food presentation is one of the criteria for our next habitat...

onkel: well, it was more of a cake than a pie. a pie has a jam-like filling with fruit and a crust, whereas this more like a bread cake. plus, i don't have one of those fancy round cake pans yet. :D

bud

this smitten kitchen blog is quite good, and i'll probably try making some of those recipes, but it's a shame there aren't any step-by-step pics. i'll probably mess up everything without those :(

are there any good sites with step-by-step pics or clips?

Zoe

funk0ar said:
Yay for choc chip cookies!! Added some extra full cream milk so they were a bit gooey :D

Mmm... Do you have a recipe? I've been addicted to these kinds of cookies for a while now.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
OnkelC, that's an amazing collection of recipes you linked to. I usually never think of taking preparation pictures. Most of the time I'm cooking, I'm half starving so it's mostly "nom nom nom nom" on the brain.

Dinner last night was ful. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be Egyptian breakfast, but when you're an adult it's ok to eat breakfast for dinner =)
2946498084_b773cf92d2_o.jpg

Dinner tonight was kabocha porridge. Just kabocha and sweet brown rice and whole lotta water.
2946498174_a02e0a720a_o.jpg

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Dinner tonight was kabocha porridge. Just kabocha and sweet brown rice and whole lotta water.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2946498174_a02e0a720a_o.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

that's a good looking bowl of porridge. I'm not use to seeing porridge as a "high class" meal.

I'm a big fan of Chinese street porridge. $1 USD gets you a big bowl with fish, pork, thousand year old duck eggs, and yada yada.

It may be rich in hazardous microbes and whatnot but motherfucking hell IT IS GOOD. Just gimme 2 pills of pepto bismol and I'll walk it off.

Yeah, that's definitely not high class porridge. The whole thing cost me about $2.50 to make and that's enough for 4 people.

Man, I miss Chinese street-side porridge. A bowl of hot porridge, 1000 year old egg, scallions, and a chinese donut to dip it in and I'm happy for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom