• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Yeah, that's definitely not high class porridge. The whole thing cost me about $2.50 to make and that's enough for 4 people.

Man, I miss Chinese street-side porridge. A bowl of hot porridge, 1000 year old egg, scallions, and a chinese donut to dip it in and I'm happy for the day.

those Chinese doughnuts (you tiao) are such guilty pleasures. Served with some nice warm soy milk.

GODDAMN YOU NAKED I WANT SOME NAO! Once I get my ass out of redneck Riverside for the weekend it's off to the grocery store.

Geylang%20Lor9_04.jpg

Zyzyxxz

SRG01 said:
I'm going to HK in two weeks, so I'll have all the congee I want. :D :lol

While you are there go to this awesome hotpot place in Sha Tin Wai

Just for reference its on the line that takes you to China but you gotta switch to the brown one. The place is right across the street from the Sha Tin Wai MTR station.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/images/MTR_routemap.jpg

All you can eat for only 60 HKD a person if you split the table fee among a few people and includes drinks (glass bottled soda at that)

There is a shit ton of choices of what to choose for the pot. Best choice you will make while you are there! Pics are from when I was living in HK last year.

n14835007_37482859_4893.jpg

Ignore the electric one, I think that was one of the employees eating there. All of the tables use a big ass gas burner.
n14835007_37482862_5924.jpg

Dam if I do get the chance to go back in a few months I will definitely go back there.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi and Zyzyxxz, great dishes and pics.

I came by at a Kentucky Fried Chicken yesterday and tried a Filet Burger with Chili cheese fries. I left kinda underwhelmed.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi and Zyzyxxz, great dishes and pics.

I came by at a Kentucky Fried Chicken yesterday and tried a Filet Burger with Chili cheese fries. I left kinda underwhelmed.

well it IS a KFC after all. Don't go expecting much

went to a pig roast last night. some great canapes and a delicious pork cheek + porkfat crouton salad, as well as some braised lamb shanks and the roast pig of course.

chicken liver canapes:
IMG_1518mod.jpg

pork backfat appetizer:
IMG_1522mod.jpg

sweetbreads + sweet potato + horseradish canape:
IMG_1525mod.jpg

baked scallops:
IMG_1532mod.jpg

house salad:
IMG_1534mod.jpg

smiling for the camera:
IMG_1536mod.jpg

headshot!:
IMG_1562mod.jpg

herb stuffing:
IMG_1568mod.jpg

dessert - vanilla custard + peach and date crumble:
IMG_1575mod.jpg

obligatory 2nd headshot!:
pighead.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge, wow, just wow. suckling pig for itself is a delicacy, and the menu looks just gorgeous.

Made a field trip with the wife to the ancient Hessian town of Limburg today and we had an old folks coffee/tea and gateau afternoon ;)
Cheesecake with plums:
IMG_0654_25.jpg

Pear/apple pie with almond brittle:
IMG_0655_25.jpg

Cup of Assam Broken w/milk and rock sugar:
IMG_0653_25.jpg

IMG_0658_25.jpg

IMG_0659_25.jpg

Enjoy!

Tonight will be the Greek nightmare platter again:
CIMG4993_25.jpg

MNC

Oh my, how come I haven't seen this topic before!

All dishes are looking so amazing, I'm getting watery-teethed!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
MNC said:
Oh my, how come I haven't seen this topic before!

All dishes are looking so amazing, I'm getting watery-teethed!
thanks. make sure to check out the two home-style cooking threads, too, lots of fine stuff in there.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
great looking soup, kassatsu! recipe would be nice.

My guess is that it's a vegetable broth base, refined with onions, broccoli, cream cheese and maybe a hint of parsley and white wine...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Easy mode for me.

Put chicken on pan, flip.
Put pasta in water.
Put sauce on pasta :lol

I had no thickener for my sauce (Which was just supermarket brand), so it's all on the bottom, but still good.
*It's cheapo Alfredo sauce

1z5n04p.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Just wanted to share I discovered an awesome Japanese noodle which I will only buy now.

This is awesome unlike the generic Maruchan noodles which lose their firmness easily.

I'd have to say it's the best I've found so far but it is pricey - relative to normal cheap ramen. At $2 a pack with 2 packets of noodles its not too bad, I'm willing to spend extra to get a better meal. Unless I find another noodle that is priced about the same and is much better quality I am sticking to these forever.
yhst-12909172288733_2021_6251722

Time to find a place where I can buy it thru the carton-load

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, Zyzyxxz and Hazaro, thanks for sharing! :) good pasta always comes at a price, be it italian or otherwise. Most I spent on a pound of pasta was around 8EUR.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, Zyzyxxz and Hazaro, thanks for sharing! :) good pasta always comes at a price, be it italian or otherwise. Most I spent on a pound of pasta was around 8EUR.

dang, I assume fresh pasta not dried? That's quite a hefty price.

Some recent Thai curry takeout from a supposedly good local restaurant:
thai_takeout.jpg

Bland, wimpy sauce (even though advertised as spicy), extremely dried-out chicken; lame. Sorta par for the course around here when it comes to Asian food, unfortunately.

Although not directly comparable, this homemade off-the-shelves and from-the-fridge frankenstein was a lot better:
curry_ingredients.jpg

curry.jpg

Zyzyxxz

funk0ar said:
I'm gonna try that! minus the Mushroom, hmm something else.

use an onion with the inner layers hollowed out.

Anyway does anybody have a recipe for Vietnamese baked egg loaf? I've been trying to find one to make at home. Damn I've fallen in love with it after trying it at one of the best local Vietnamese restaurants in my area.

jarosh

made a "pumpkin curry" for dinner yesterday. with chick peas, quorn, coriander, coconut milk, curry madras powder and some other spices.

221008-01.jpg

221008-02.jpg

221008-03.jpg

221008-04.jpg

221008-05.jpg

MNC

Oh maaaaaaaaaan, this topic drives me crazy. The only cooking I can do is some pancakes and baked eggs! This topic motivates me to do better :D

jarosh

kassatsu said:
jarosh can you post the recipe for that ;o
sure yeah. pretty straightforward.

serves about 4:

pumpkin, 700 grams
quorn, tofu or chicken, 250 - 400 grams
chick peas, 400 grams
coconut milk, up to 500 ml
coriander
curry powder
pepper, salt, sugar

- peel pumpkin (i used butternut) and cut it up into cubes or sticks
- if you use meat, you have to stir fry it at this point, before everything else and take it out of the pan after a few minutes to add later
- stir fry the pumpkin in some oil, i used coconut oil
- add some curry powder, pepper and salt to the pumpkin
- at this point you can put the lid on and cook until the pumpkin is soft
- if you use tofu or quorn you can add it now together with the chopped up coriander and chick peas
- fry for a few more minutes
- add coconut milk
- now add at least one tablespoon of curry powder and one tablespoon of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- let it simmer for a couple minutes
- if you're using meat, add it back in now
- serve with basmati rice

Thriller

Hey Onkel! I have a question, I'm a ski teacher in Fieberbrunn and when I'm there I eat a lot of wurstsalat.
I've seen it in this thread but it didnt say how I can make it.
Please bare in mind that I am from holland and im not sure if we have the sausage needed for it (we have Aldi and LIDL though)
I hope you can help me out!!

Slidewinder: I like bangkok cafe, they have a variety of interesting fried rice.

However, the homemade thai curries in here make me want to save cash and just do it myself

Zyzyxxz

Owed T'Alex said:
Slidewinder: I like bangkok cafe, they have a variety of interesting fried rice.

However, the homemade thai curries in here make me want to save cash and just do it myself

Curry is easy to make and cheap to procure.

I never order curry outside, rarely only if I can't decide what to eat and usually I only will if the curry is known to be good at that particular restaurant.

IMO curry isnt a restaurant type food (unless a restaurant wants to specialize in it) since I believe it should be slow cooked.

It's not expensive either, all you need is a stable of curry powders, onions, and buy the meat the day you plan to use it if using any at all. Veges are always cheap, relatively.

since it is the beginning of the fall season, that means it's also apple season. made a mini tarte tatin, 1st attempt. will work on perfecting the pate brisee texture next time.

2965048251_aec9fabc26.jpg

Zyzyxxz

smirkrevenge said:
since it is the beginning of the fall season, that means it's also apple season. made a mini tarte tatin, 1st attempt. will work on perfecting the pate brisee texture next time.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3241/2965048251_aec9fabc26.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

that looks good, too bad my family's Apple tree is shitty...

Well we have a Guava tree to make up for it.

Owed T'Alex said:

Yeah, I'd heard good things about them from others, too. Maybe I just got a bum dish.

If you feel like making your own (assuming you are a Tucsonan), the 17th St Market has a good selection of imported curry pastes and spice blends. Really easy to make. I've had better luck with the pastes, although if you use fresh cilantro like jarosh did above, the powders can be good.

2968081399_1981de1078_o.jpg

VEGAN mac and cheese. Yes boys and girls, I've done the unthinkable. It's actually quite good. Especially with some roasted brussel sprouts.

When I was a kid, I used to think that white people ate mac and cheese and brussel sprouts ALL the time because that's what the TV shows said.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Zyzyxxz: That same platter has been sitting in one of the cupbords in the breakroom at my job for several years. How weird.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Dad's birthday recently so I did a day's worth of cooking.

These are the some of the stuff that was made and those by me personally.

Except for two dishes, I don't know whether the rest of the stuff has an English name so I'm going by literal description from Thai/Laos. Cooking prep/time took anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and a half.
Pictures where taken just a couple minutes after they were done.

Boiled sweet soup with baby eggs, diced chicken and tofu.
qp3wo8.jpg

Thai curry with potatoes and diced chicken.
2bz24y.jpg

Thai/Laos stir fry with baby mushrooms, corn, scallops and shrimp.
2lw0q2u.jpg

Fried rice with cut up scrambled eggs.
1t7wup.jpg

Steak stir fry with tomatoes, garlic in sauce.
m90wu0.jpg

Forgot to add this one. Arguably my favorite dish. Swordfish with various herbs and spices, the works.
1ze9wy0.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz and Kadey, looks good!

A few pictures from yesterdays field trip:
Autumn is here
P1040348_25.jpg

P1040350_25.jpg

P1040355_25.jpg

P1040354_25.jpg

It's fuckin' hard to capture the massive bridge in one picture, here's a huuuuuuuuuuuge pic of it:
P1040353_25.jpg

P1040356_25.jpg

P1040357_25.jpg

That's three train wagons:
P1040358_25.jpg

P1040359_25.jpg

A steam train blowin above the heads:
P1040367_25.jpg

To get the culinary side covered, i got the wife a bag of local specialty "Wupperschlamm" (aka "Wupper mud", named after the river Wupper), the folks from the region sure have appealing names for their foods...
Anyway, it's a spicy gingerbread and tasted fine:
P1040369_25.jpg

P1040370_25.jpg

This is the place we had dinner at:
P1040372_25.jpg

http://www.ruedenstein.de/

the wife went with a "Kottenbutter", an open-faced od closed sandwich from dark rye bread with a smoked sausage, onion rings and hot mustard (stock pic):
solinger_kottenbutter.png

I had a "Jägertopf", pork loin medallions with a dark mushroom cream sauce and Spaetzle (think away the tots, add spaetzle):
smallP1030132.jpg

Dessert was a "Bergische Waffel" with rice pudding, hot cherries and cream (add a big slab of rice pudding to the image which was stolen from ze web):
2063095551_9299f4acf3.jpg

Enjoy!

Zyzyxxz

damn thats a friggin huge bridge!

Anyway for my North American Gaffers what good for this season? I'm still kinda in summer mode since California takes forever to cool off but I'd like to know in advance.

Davidion

I've always appreciated this thread. I'll try to do some contributions from the bars and restaurants that I hit here in NYC going forward..

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Davidion said:
I've always appreciated this thread. I'll try to do some contributions from the bars and restaurants that I hit here in NYC going forward..
I'd love to see stuff like that! Always welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom