• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyzyxxz said:
damn thats a friggin huge bridge!

Anyway for my North American Gaffers what good for this season? I'm still kinda in summer mode since California takes forever to cool off but I'd like to know in advance.

Kale and collard greens are in season I think. Then there are beets (yay!) and of course, squash. Mmmm, I love kabocha squash. You can do a kale stew with chunks of kabocha thrown in. I bet that would balance out the bitterness of kale pretty well.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Kale and collard greens are in season I think. Then there are beets (yay!) and of course, squash. Mmmm, I love kabocha squash. You can do a kale stew with chunks of kabocha thrown in. I bet that would balance out the bitterness of kale pretty well.

I've never had Kale, how bitter is it?

I can stand up to the Chinese bitter squash so I dont think it should be that bad.

made snickerdoodles tonight.

2983355572_7fd81a49e0.jpg

Kadey said:
Dad's birthday recently so I did a day's worth of cooking.

These are the some of the stuff that was made and those by me personally.

Except for two dishes, I don't know whether the rest of the stuff has an English name so I'm going by literal description from Thai/Laos. Cooking prep/time took anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and a half.
Pictures where taken just a couple minutes after they were done.

Thai curry with potatoes and diced chicken.

[/IMG]

That curry looks delicious. Do you use curry powder or curry paste? And do you saute the potatoes and chicken before you put them in the coconut milk, or is all cooking done in curry broth?

Zyzyxxz said:
I've never had Kale, how bitter is it?

I can stand up to the Chinese bitter squash so I dont think it should be that bad.

It's actually not that bitter. I'd say it's a bit more bitter than spinach. Definitely not as bitter as Chinese bittermelon, so you're all good there.

Desperado

I just bought a slow cooker. Anyone have some good recipes that I can start off with?

I apologize if this has already been covered.

CTLance

Heh... You guys and your fancy shmancy cooking. I can't take it anymore to just watch from the sidelines, so...

Breakfast time!

A still hand-hot bun fresh from the oven.
Some butter (the european sweet/sour cream version, not the salted US variety of course)
Honey

I know it's complicated, so I've documented how it looks before...
2rzcodw.jpg

...and after application of butter and honey:
s2wi1h.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

So good, I could eat four buns in one sitting and still want more. butter+honey+white bread is a devilish combination.

Next time: homemade grape jelly that for some crazy reason has a taste reminiscent of apple jam. Yeah, the grape vine in my garden is ... special.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
hi CTLance, thanks for sharing. PRO TIP: wipe the bread rolls off with a bit of cold water before baking the next time to get them a bit more brownish:lol

Recipe for the grape jelly would be nice, too.

Zyzyxxz

OnkelC said:
hi CTLance, thanks for sharing. PRO TIP: wipe the bread rolls off with a bit of cold water before baking the next time to get them a bit more brownish:lol

Recipe for the grape jelly would be nice, too.

heh, did not know that.

The more you know...

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
vegetarian.jpg

Made this today. Sauce made of Quorn and red lintels, crushed tomatoes, tomato pure, canned corn, one chopped onion, black pepper, soy sauce, basil and a hint of sugar. I topped it off with some cheese for flavor, and some feta cheese on the side for variety.

I'm loving my new life as a vegetarian. :D

jarosh

Sword Familiar said:
Made this today. Sauce made of Quorn and red lintels, crushed tomatoes, tomato pure, canned corn, one chopped onion, black pepper, soy sauce, basil and a hint of sugar. I topped it off with some cheese for flavor, and some feta cheese on the side for variety.

I'm loving my new life as a vegetarian. :D
hey i'm not the only person on gaf who eats quorn anymore. where are you from?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
jarosh said:
hey i'm not the only person on gaf who eats quorn anymore. where are you from?

I'm from Sweden!
Don't go calling me the Swedish chef now, ok? :lol

Yeah, I starting eating it just recently, maybe a couple of weeks ago? I'm still learning the nooks and crannies of vegetarian food and cooking, but I'm enjoying it so far. Not 100% vegetarian though, I'll eat meat if someone cooks it for me. I just won't cook it myself anymore.

jarosh

cool! i cook mostly vegetarian and i use a lot of quorn... just in case you wanna look at some of my posts/recipes for inspiration :p

CTLance

OnkelC said:
:lol Nah, trust me, it was brown enough. You just can't see it on the pic thanks to my shitty digicam and its nonexistant color fidelity. The table doesn't look that yellow either... it's one of the reasons why I only rarely post in this thread.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll be sure to use it later. Very helpful.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kadey said:
Dad's birthday recently so I did a day's worth of cooking.

These are the some of the stuff that was made and those by me personally.

Except for two dishes, I don't know whether the rest of the stuff has an English name so I'm going by literal description from Thai/Laos. Cooking prep/time took anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and a half.
Pictures where taken just a couple minutes after they were done.
I miss real asian food.

Stupid college and its lack of kitchen facilities.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PartlyCloudlike said:
That curry looks delicious. Do you use curry powder or curry paste? And do you saute the potatoes and chicken before you put them in the coconut milk, or is all cooking done in curry broth?

I use powder and no coconut milk. I season everything in the pic along with stuff not pictured beforehand. It's actually not that hard.

2posbxh.jpg

edbrat

ok i not good with photobucket and these are mobile phone pics:

DSC00321.jpg

steamed rice / marinated stir fired beef / raw squid, clams and other seafood pickled in a v spicy sauce (left) - i really love this stuff, from a Korean grocery store / pickled seaweed with a touch of sesame oil - also from a Korean store.

DSC00320.jpg

obligatory accompaniment of kimchi (my mother's, yes i am v spoilt :)

DSC00325.jpg

lunch at nobu in london, lightly seared salmon, Japanese vegetables, i love good fish and this salmon was a prince amongst it's peers. Texture was perfect, not mushy but yielding, delicious fat running through it.

DSC00326.jpg

roast duck, Japanese winter veg, broth, mild mustard dip. The duck was good, I am a big fan of Asian duck dishes especially when there is skin and fat involved.

DSC00327.jpg

wagyu beef, £34 per plate, we had eaten most of this by the time I took the photo. Deep beefy flavour but not heavy. Texture is off the scale, slightly caramelised on the edge, meltingly raw in the middle. You get the whole spectrum of beefy texture in each slice. The gravy and the mushrooms would make a dish alone with some steamed rice, such rich and luxurious flavours.

DSC00328.jpg

o toro rolls, sushi furthest on left is yellowtail and that little green circle on top is a single hot thinly sliced chilli. You eat it, you are hit by the rich yellowtail and then sometime around half time in eating this the chilli spikes through and it is beautiful. Someone tasted these chillis before making the dish and the balance, to my palate, was perfect.

The first starter was yellowtail sashimi, ate it before I could take pics unfortunately but it was damn good, raw fish quality in general was exceptional.

anyway now i finally have a photobucket account, inspired by this thread i should say, i should warn you all that moar crappy phone pics of what my greedy beehind eats are incoming :D

Made some fried chicken last night with fresh french fries. I added hot sauce to the fried chicken mixture for a little kick, but I think I'll have to add twice as much as I did because I didn't feel it. I could taste the peppery flavor though, so that was nice. For the fries, I blanched them first at a lower temperature, then fried them again in hotter oil to get a golden crispness. As you can see with the fries, my knife skills are very lacking. :lol

fried_chicken_fries.jpg

Darkman M said:
^Your batter on that chicken looks delicious.

Thanks! I seasoned it with a combination of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then coated it with hot sauce. Not as good as Popeyes, my all time favorite, but it was very tasty. Fried Chicken is my culinary favorite.

The fried chicken looks good. Have you tried brining your chicken before frying? I use Thomas Keller's method, and the chicken ends up being juicy, and the crust is crispy and well-seasoned. Takes about 6 hours, but it's well-worth it.

From awhile back:
2285087548_53e7cca2e8.jpg

Making roasted brussels sprouts and meatloaf now, pics forthcoming.

Zoe

Speaking of Popeyes and frying... does anybody know how to get the same kind of light breading as what they have on their chicken strips? Most places usually have the really thick kind of breading :(

smirkrevenge said:
The fried chicken looks good. Have you tried brining your chicken before frying? I use Thomas Keller's method, and the chicken ends up being juicy, and the crust is crispy and well-seasoned. Takes about 6 hours, but it's well-worth it.

From awhile back:
2285087548_53e7cca2e8.jpg

Making roasted brussels sprouts and meatloaf now, pics forthcoming.

That's some tasty looking chicken. No, I didn't brine the chicken. This was a "I feel like fried chicken tonight" moment in which the chicken and peanut oil was picked up right after work and in the hot oil within the hour. To keep it juicy, I keep cooking times low while taking into consideration the post-cooking while it's resting. The juices were literally bursting from the chicken once the breading was pierced. I'll definitely try brining the chicken next time to see the difference, though.

holliberry said:
What's the recipe for this? It looks delicious!

No problem, its actually pretty easy to make.

* 6 medium red potatoes, cubed
* 1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1/2 cup salsa
* 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil.
2. Toss potatoes with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter until coated. Arrange in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
3. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove pan from oven, and push potatoes out to the sides of the dish. Place the chicken breast halves in the dish. Stir together the remaining butter and lime juice. Brush onto chicken. Return to the oven.
4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. In a small bowl, toss together the cheese, cilantro and salsa. Sprinkle over the chicken and potatoes. Return to the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve with lime wedges.

That was the original recipe. I added fresh mushrooms at the end as well, which you can see in the picture

Banana Bread
nwiuc2.jpg

Shrimp and bowtie pasta
ff6cyb.jpg

Spinach/artichoke "pie"
wmo8sx.jpg

Both combined
34dhix5.jpg

All 3 with a side shot of the banana bread
2u9nyq1.jpg

Not going to lie to you gentlemen. That banana bread was beyond awesome

Flo said:
Do you have a recipe for this awesome banana bread?

* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1/3 plain low fat yogurt
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup mashed bananas
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray one 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray coating.
2. Blend together the eggs, yogurt, oil and bananas.
3. Sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Add to banana mixture and stir in pecans. Mix well.
4. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

I felt this was too much sugar so feel free to cut back on that a little bit. I'm going to remake it that way soon but I'm also intrigued with the idea of blending in some strawberries into the mix. Any comments on that idea?

obijkenobi said:
No problem, its actually pretty easy to make.

* 6 medium red potatoes, cubed
* 1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1/2 cup salsa
* 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with aluminum foil.
2. Toss potatoes with about 1 tablespoon of melted butter until coated. Arrange in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
3. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove pan from oven, and push potatoes out to the sides of the dish. Place the chicken breast halves in the dish. Stir together the remaining butter and lime juice. Brush onto chicken. Return to the oven.
4. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. In a small bowl, toss together the cheese, cilantro and salsa. Sprinkle over the chicken and potatoes. Return to the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve with lime wedges.

That was the original recipe. I added fresh mushrooms at the end as well, which you can see in the picture
Thanks for the awesome recipe! I made it tonight (unfortunately my digital camera is fubar, so no pictures). Turned out great.

I'm remaking the banana bread with strawberries added in. Its not ready yet, but I had some of the leftover batter and nearly died from the OMGAWESOME. I'll let you guys know in about a hour and 15 how it came out

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
OnkelC, a long time you posted a soup ratatouille recipe, I been trying to do that but can't find the post. Any help locating it?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Vox-Pop said:
Thanks, Onkel, I'll try and do it this weekend. One question, what kind of wine did you use for the recipe?

Also is Creme fraiche, that much similar to sour creme, or less sour?
The wine was nothing special, any dry red wine should do. Creme fraiche is a bit "heavier" than sour cream fat-wise and has a less sour, more subtle taste.

Looking forward to seeing your results, please share them!

tri_willy

thats some nice split pea soup nakedsushi. almost looks like those dips that you can use to dip pita bread and the like in.

in other related news, its been a long time between drinks since ive posted up any cooking of mine (not that its anything great), mainly because i was still finishing my studies and didn't really make the time to cook anything decent. but i'll post something up later today.

tri_willy

tonight's dinner, i prepared a "traditional vietnamese beef stew or Bò (beef) Kho (stew)" for any viet gaffers out here. Like various asian dishes, the preparation & cooking time for these meals can take a lot of time and patience.

okay first, i have roughly 2kg worth of "gravy beef" (im sure most other cuts of beef should be okay), which has been sliced fairly thick, just under 1cm width.

beef needs to have it own basic marinade, so i added roughly 2-3 tbspns of salt, about 3-4 tbspns of good ol' fish sauce (because most meat dishes prepared by us asians can not be done without fish sauce :D). about 3 tspns of garlic paste, & 1 finely chopped onion.

A paste I made is added to the stew to give its unique flavour (Or you can find this in a jar or even powdered form from a chinese grocery store). (i'm roughly making these ratios, because i do not have a set ratio of how much spices to use).
4-5 big tbspns of paprika
1 big tbspn of ground cloves
3-4 big tbspns of 5 spice powder (it consists of fennel, star anise, ginger, cinnamon & garlic all grounded).
4-5 dried chillis soaked in water (the number can alternate, depending on taste).

Add all the spices into a blender or a blitzer with some of the water from the soaked chilli and blend until a paste has formed. I also added in a little olive oil to maintain the form of the paste.

Before starting, I finely chopped another onion and "sweated it" in the pot before adding the paste stirring it for a couple of minutes before I added in the meat.

bokho.jpg

After 20-30 mins of adding the meat, some water has been drawn due to the juices from the meat coming out given it has been cooking for quite some time & also I added about 800g worth of tomato puree to give it a bit of extra flavour. Please note, I have not added any boiling water to the stew yet.

bokho02.jpg

After 50 mins passed, I added about 2 litres of boiling water and carrots. During various stages, some scum will form presumably from the meat. Its important to remove it as it would ruin the taste of the stew. Bring the soupy stew to taste by adding about roughly 3 tbspns of fish sauce and salt (depends on taste) to the stew, adding 2 tbspns of chicken powder also helps improve the taste. For now, the stew is not finished mainly because the pieces of beef are rather stiff/hard and has not absorbed the flavours of the stew. This is where some patience is required, bring the pot to a low simmering heat for about 45-60 mins. This will allow the beef to slowly mingle with the soupy stew whilst softening as time goes by.

bokho03.jpg

Once completed, I just served the stew with rice with some chopped coriander on top as some sort of garnish, unfortunately it looks so poor on the photo. Enjoy!

tri_willy said:
bokho03.jpg

Once completed, I just served the stew with rice with some chopped coriander on top as some sort of garnish, unfortunately it looks so poor on the photo. Enjoy!

That looks so good in cold weather. I usually have it over rice noodles or with a baguette. What's the traditional way to have it?

tri_willy

nakedsushi said:
That looks so good in cold weather. I usually have it over rice noodles or with a baguette. What's the traditional way to have it?

Traditionally, people mostly have the beef stew with rice. I tend to have the stew at times with baguettes or even rice vermicilli. Really depends on what you like having your stew with. If somehow, you managed to have the stew with some freshly baked bread, its tastes so nice.

Note: Adding some basil and sweet chilli sauce on the stew really gives it a nice kick.

tri_willy said:
tonight's dinner, i prepared a "traditional vietnamese beef stew or Bò (beef) Kho (stew)" for any viet gaffers out here. Like various asian dishes, the preparation & cooking time for these meals can take a lot of time and patience.

okay first, i have roughly 2kg worth of "gravy beef" (im sure most other cuts of beef should be okay), which has been sliced fairly thick, just under 1cm width.

beef needs to have it own basic marinade, so i added roughly 2-3 tbspns of salt, about 3-4 tbspns of good ol' fish sauce (because most meat dishes prepared by us asians can not be done without fish sauce :D). about 3 tspns of garlic paste, & 1 finely chopped onion.

A paste I made is added to the stew to give its unique flavour (Or you can find this in a jar or even powdered form from a chinese grocery store). (i'm roughly making these ratios, because i do not have a set ratio of how much spices to use).
4-5 big tbspns of paprika
1 big tbspn of ground cloves
3-4 big tbspns of 5 spice powder (it consists of fennel, star anise, ginger, cinnamon & garlic all grounded).
4-5 dried chillis soaked in water (the number can alternate, depending on taste).

Add all the spices into a blender or a blitzer with some of the water from the soaked chilli and blend until a paste has formed. I also added in a little olive oil to maintain the form of the paste.

Before starting, I finely chopped another onion and "sweated it" in the pot before adding the paste stirring it for a couple of minutes before I added in the meat.

bokho.jpg

After 20-30 mins of adding the meat, some water has been drawn due to the juices from the meat coming out given it has been cooking for quite some time & also I added about 800g worth of tomato puree to give it a bit of extra flavour. Please note, I have not added any boiling water to the stew yet.

After 50 mins passed, I added about 2 litres of boiling water and carrots. During various stages, some scum will form presumably from the meat. Its important to remove it as it would ruin the taste of the stew. Bring the soupy stew to taste by adding about roughly 3 tbspns of fish sauce and salt (depends on taste) to the stew, adding 2 tbspns of chicken powder also helps improve the taste. For now, the stew is not finished mainly because the pieces of beef are rather stiff/hard and has not absorbed the flavours of the stew. This is where some patience is required, bring the pot to a low simmering heat for about 45-60 mins. This will allow the beef to slowly mingle with the soupy stew whilst softening as time goes by.

NICE! One of my favorite comfort foods. I'll eat it with anything, but typically I like it over rice noodles (the pho variety), or with a french baguette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom