• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
had a horrible day at work today. fortunately, i had started a chocolate-chip cookie dough the previous night. recipe courtesy of smitten kitchen and nytimes.

3009725942_1d4017cb39.jpg

Zyzyxxz

eggplant and egg tortilla, did not turn out too well though (didn't cook the eggplant long enough and cooked the egg for too long)

3013263419_f35b280843_b.jpg

3014099916_b15864de63_b.jpg

chicken cooked with shallots, lemon zest+juice, and garlic

3013265359_9c57086bbd_b.jpg

rice with chorizo sausage and tomatoe

3014103284_80fe93bd19_b.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
tri_willy said:
Once completed, I just served the stew with rice with some chopped coriander on top as some sort of garnish, unfortunately it looks so poor on the photo. Enjoy!

Haven't had one of those in a while. You just convinced me. I'll post my version. I boil the hell out of the meat to give it that tender chewy feel and add more stuff.

I went to the chocolate show in NYC this weekend, but they ran out of chocolate covered bacon before I could get some :(.

I have photos of me with a chocolate-obama, I'll post it once I get it off my phone.

Zyzyxxz

electricpirate said:
I went to the chocolate show in NYC this weekend, but they ran out of chocolate covered bacon before I could get some :(.

I have photos of me with a chocolate-obama, I'll post it once I get it off my phone.

wtf, choco-bacon? Would that even taste good?

3017160767_42eebb6dc6_o.jpg

A couple of nights ago, the BF made pasta with broccoli rabe, olives, and home-made croutons. The croutons were probably carb overload, but they were sooo good.

3017994340_03be21b9cc_o.jpg

Went to a vegan comfort food restaurant this weekend and they had vegan fried chicken! Amazing. The batter was just like KFC's original recipe. It even had a fake bone in it.

yuna55

So who's in charge of Thanksgiving this year?

This will be my first time hosting the dinner at my house. Kinda freaking out here, lol. I might be asking for lots of help and ideas for the next few weeks.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
nakedsushi, I'm curious: what was the faux bone made from?
Thanks for sharing, everybody! I'm kinda out of the loop at the moment, no time at all to cook something decent, sorry.

lennedsay said:

This will be my first time hosting the dinner at my house. Kinda freaking out here, lol. I might be asking for lots of help and ideas for the next few weeks.
just go ahead and feel free to ask! I'm sure everybody will help to their best.

yuna55

OnkelC said:
nakedsushi, I'm curious: what was the faux bone made from?
Thanks for sharing, everybody! I'm kinda out of the loop at the moment, no time at all to cook something decent, sorry.

just go ahead and feel free to ask! I'm sure everybody will help to their best.

I don't think it'll be that bad, I'm just freaking out. My mom and my mother-in-law are both more than willing to offer help. I'll have more trouble asking & accepting their help than cooking all that food!

So... what's everybody's favorite Thanksgiving (or any holiday gathering) food - sides, desserts, snacks (cheeses, dips, etc.)?

My favorites: sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, banana cream pie, and assorted cheeses with breads and crackers

Zyzyxxz

lennedsay said:

buy a Turducken

lethial

Reeeeeeee
This is one of my favorite dishes, so easy, you can add whatever and so good. You'll need the following:

Perogies! I prefer Cheemo brand in the frozen section but I do buy homemade ones from one of the local shops. Flavor is up to you - I like Cheddar and Potato for this dish.

1 x medium yellow onion
1 x medium green\red\yellow bell pepper (mix and match)
6 x small crimini mushrooms (Optional)

Other vegetables work good too like corn, cut string beans, carrots, etc. so feel free to use whatever you have in the fridge.

Meat - I used some ham that I had purchased and cubed it up. Chorizo sausage is great with this as well as farmers or garlic coil. Chicken is good too but I would not use any sort of fish.

1 x can of Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of Wild Mushroom. Don't use Golden.
1/4 - 1/2c of milk, ideally 2% but not necassary.
Shredded cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cayanne Pepper (Optional)
------

Chop up your vegtables and meat and throw those bitches into a nice hot buttered or oiled frying pan.

110908171035.jpg

While that is cooking, combine your milk and soup and give that shit a whisk.

110908171721.jpg

Grab a baking dish and throw some perogies into it, 2 layers are usually good depending on the amount you want. Preferably a long one which I don't have because I cracked it by accident.

110908172247.jpg

Once your veggies and meat is cooked, dump that shit on top of the frozen perogies.

110908172434.jpg

Add the soup\milk mixture and stir it around.

110908172629.jpg

Dump some shredded cheese of your choice on top.

110908172829.jpg

Now throw that puppy into a preheated oven at 375 and let it bake for 25-30 minutes. As long as it's hot all the way through and the cheese is melted you are good to go.

110908175756.jpg

Mmmmm.

3020878989_212ffda4ef_o.jpg

Tonight I made mock-tuna salad sandwich and sorta-homemade tomato soup. The "tuna" in the salad is mashed chickpeas, which works surprisingly well in the salad.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
3020878989_212ffda4ef_o.jpg

Tonight I made mock-tuna salad sandwich and sorta-homemade tomato soup. The "tuna" in the salad is mashed chickpeas, which works surprisingly well in the salad.

shit... I'm getting hungry again, all I had for dinner was Korean tofu soup and a bit of rice. I even used an entire tofu block.

Since I gotta a busy week ahead of me I'm probably gonna make some sort of beef stew in the slow cooker so I can have a couple days worth of food.

- beef stew meat
- carrots
- diced tomatoes
- white beans

Anything else I should add?

Zyzyxxz said:
shit... I'm getting hungry again, all I had for dinner was Korean tofu soup and a bit of rice. I even used an entire tofu block.

Since I gotta a busy week ahead of me I'm probably gonna make some sort of beef stew in the slow cooker so I can have a couple days worth of food.

- beef stew meat
- carrots
- diced tomatoes
- white beans

Ooh, did you make soon tofu? That's one of my favorite things to eat when it's cold.

How about adding some chopped up daikon radish to the beef stew? I like it when it sucks up all the beef juice and is all tender and salty.

Xabora

Zyzyxxz said:

- beef stew meat
- carrots
- diced tomatoes
- white beans

Celery (Adds a nice crunch to it if added later on while its cooking)
Diced Spring Onions
Potatoes are good too.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Ooh, did you make soon tofu? That's one of my favorite things to eat when it's cold.

How about adding some chopped up daikon radish to the beef stew? I like it when it sucks up all the beef juice and is all tender and salty.

yup, its a good way to stay warm, I even went thru the trouble of perfectly placing a egg yolk in the center.

No camera though, next time I'll take a pic if possible.

Zyzyxxz

Hmm thread seems to be less active these days, or is it me?

We should have like cooking assignments or themes, I wanna see some food and pretty soon I will be a college graduate with no job so I got time to cook!

kassatsu

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
Hmm thread seems to be less active these days, or is it me?

We should have like cooking assignments or themes, I wanna see some food and pretty soon I will be a college graduate with no job so I got time to cook!
I am down with themes or assignments.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Cooking contest threads like the photo and writing assignment threads would be awesome, I won't compete, but I'd love to see it.

Zyzyxxz

hmm we need to decide whether we cook specific foods or go for a theme.

I wanna say theme since not everyone has the same cooking tools such as ovens or food processors.

With a theme we can be a little bit more open but still have some restrictions.

Anybody have an idea?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
hmm we need to decide whether we cook specific foods or go for a theme.

I wanna say theme since not everyone has the same cooking tools such as ovens or food processors.

With a theme we can be a little bit more open but still have some restrictions.

Anybody have an idea?

I've tried that idea some time ago for several foods, but the feedback was non-existent. I'd consider keeping this thread as the amalgamation of all the fine recipes and dishes on GAF, but that's only my opinion.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Let's try "Cabbage" as theme, it's the season for it in europe.

Edit: or make this "cabbbage and family" to keep it a bit wider (cauliflower, brussels sprouts, red cabage, sauerkraut and so on).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
no cabbage until next weekend for me, but maybe this can be a reference for the contributions (Assignment or not):
OnkelC said:
Tonights Dish will be the Über-German "Würstel mit Kraut" (small spiced and fried Nuremberg pork sausages with braised red cabbage and mashed potatoes). It doesn't get any more German than this, folks!:lol
The following ingredients are needed:
smallCIMG1674.jpg

- one red cabbage
- one small onion
- pork lard
- two to three tablespoons of marmalade/jam/jelly (I will use homemade cherry jelly)
- 250ml red wine
- one sweet (as in contrary to sour) apple,
- Nuremberg Sausages
- mashed potatoes (Lazy Ass sunday, so instant stuff here)

EDIT:
I forgot to mention Bay leaves and juniper berries:
smallCIMG1689.jpg

cooking starts now, pics will be up around the usual time.

Stay tuned and keep'em coming!

OnkelC said:
So, let's cook.
The "Würstel mit Kraut" is German-as-it-can-get on NeoGAF. It combines everything stereotypical from the German kitchen: Bratwurst, potatoes and "Kraut". A delicious dish nonetheless, and a nice change from the Italian dishes yesterday.

No special utensils are needed.

First, remove the outer leaves from the red cabbage, cut it in half, remove the trunk and cut the halves in thin stripes:
smallCIMG1675.jpg

smallCIMG1676.jpg

smallCIMG1677.jpg

smallCIMG1678.jpg

smallCIMG1679.jpg

Next, cut one onion in small cubes, peel one apple, remove the core and cut it up a bit:
smallCIMG1680.jpg

smallCIMG1681.jpg

smallCIMG1684.jpg

smallCIMG1685.jpg

Get a serious (as in: considered unhealthy in some parts of the world) amount of the lard and melt it in a big pot. When it is molten, add the onions, stir for a few seconds and add the first half of the cabbage:
smallCIMG1688.jpg

smallCIMG1690.jpg

smallCIMG1691.jpg

Next, add the apple slices, the bay leaves and the juniper berries, then fill it up with the rest of the cabbage:
smallCIMG1692.jpg

smallCIMG1693.jpg

Add the red wine and the cherry jelly:
smallCIMG1694.jpg

smallCIMG1695.jpg

Stir it thoroghly, put a lid on it and let it cook for at least 90 minutes. Three to four hours are also common if you are interested, you can check out the whole process in the album here.

After about 30 minutes, add a good amount of bouillon extract, stir it in and let it cook on with the lid on:
smallCIMG1703.jpg

About half an hour before dinner time, remove the lid and let the juices in the kraut cook in for optimum taste. Add some oil to a pan and put the sausages in. ORDER IN ZE PAN LOL:
smallCIMG1722.jpg

smallCIMG1723.jpg

fry the sausages at a temperature 3/4 of max heat, turn them over regularly until they get dark brown and crunchy from all sides:
smallCIMG1724.jpg

smallCIMG1725.jpg

Finish line:
prepare the mashed potatoes (not pictured, sorry).

DONE!
Have a hearty German feast on your plate. Do not forget a hint of the frying oil on top of the mashed potatoes and a splash of mustard:
smallCIMG1728.jpg

smallCIMG1731.jpg

A smartly saluted "Mahlzeit!" from Bonn.

Comments, questions and contributions are very welcome.

Keep'em coming!:lol

Wendo

Vasectomember
How many of you guys are single and just cook for yourself?

I love cooking, but tend to be obsessive about it and only use the finest ingredients and spend lots of time getting the perfect flavor. I find that if I'm cooking for myself only it just doesn't seem worth it, and I go with something "from the dark side of the microwave" as Onkel puts it. Luckily there are tons of great natural and healthyish premade options in my area too, which certainly plays a part.

Onkel, how are you liking weekdays now with the cooking / reheating?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Wendo said:

I love cooking, but tend to be obsessive about it and only use the finest ingredients and spend lots of time getting the perfect flavor. I find that if I'm cooking for myself only it just doesn't seem worth it, and I go with something "from the dark side of the microwave" as Onkel puts it. Luckily there are tons of great natural and healthyish premade options in my area too, which certainly plays a part.

I hate it. usually 12-14 hour days, so no motivation to cook stuff for me alone. Either I go visit one of the members I take care of and have a bite there, or it's some thing like Miracoli, if at all.

Please share some of your dishes, sounds interesting.

Zyzyxxz

Wendo said:

I too would like to see more of what you cook, as a poor student I only wish I could buy the best quality ingredients all the time.

tri_willy

Apologies for the delay. I recently was at a mate's bbq and took a part in assisting the preparation for some of the food presented.

POTATO SALAD
potatosalad.jpg

- Boiled about over a kg worth of potatoes. After giving it some time to cool down, the potatoes were cubed whilst keeping skin on because not only is it great, its also very good for you.
- About 6 eggs boiled and sliced into quarters.
- For the dressing, there was dijon + wholegrain mustard, balsamic vinegar, chopped coriander and salt/sugar to taste. The reason why I didn't include any measurements because the dressing is dependent on the user's preferences. I would also recommended a splash of orange juice to counteract the tangyness of the mustards and vinegar.

KIM CHI
kimchi.jpg

- This can be purchased from any Korean and most Asian supermarkets. Its good stuff! :D

GREEK SALAD
greeksalad.jpg

- This salad prepared is probably not the most correct way of preparing Greek salad, but here is what was included: cucumber, tomato and capsicum chopped in fair chunks, sprinkle a small pinch of salt, crumble some Greek fetta (cheese) onto the salad, chuck some fresh basil and oregano on top of the fetta, finish with a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and ready to serve!

MARINATED LAMB
marinatedlamb.jpg

- Here is about 6kg worth of lamb forequarter chops. I used a rather strange list of ingredients here but it somehow turned out well in the end. 3-4 nice tbspns of laksa and satay paste each.
- A customized paste I made: 4-5 tbspns of paprika/cumin each coriander, a nice generous amount extra virgin olive oil, 5 onions peeled and roughly chopped, 1 bulb of garlic peeled, 8 tbspns of salt (varies with taste & user's preferences). Have it all blitzed in a blender and the paste should come out in a nice consistency.
- To further bring out the nice smell of the combined marinade, pour in any nice white wine onto the lamb. Mix all ingredients together and line them up in a suitable container.

bbqlamb.jpg

- Lamb and other meats in the charcoal grill is soooo nice.

bbqlamb02.jpg

- In this tray, there is the marinated lamb, some snags (sausages), pork ribs, and scotch fillet. To finish, we put in a nice slob of garlic sauce on the meats and oh my how great it wassss.... sorry I dont have pics of the garlic sauce. ENJOY!!!

Zyzyxxz

tri_willy said:
KIM CHI
kimchi.jpg

- This can be purchased from any Korean and most Asian supermarkets. Its good stuff! :D

bbqlamb02.jpg

Damn, lamb looks good.

As for the kimchi though its somewhat expensive even though I live in a neighborhood with a heavy asian presence. Probably because it can costs $3-4 for a jar which I can go thru in a few days depending on what I cook. I need to learn how to make it so I can do it by the bucket loads.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
tri_willy, great stuff! Thank you for sharing. BBQ looks awesome and the Kim Chi is a worthy contribution.

Small update: Yesterday, the wife made a quiche:
Todays dish will be a variation of a vegetable quiche, courtesy of the wife.
The ingredients are:
smallCIMG1205.jpg

Wheat flour and a cube of yeast,
one leek,
some spring onions,
a bunch of carrots,
some smoked ham or bacon with little fat,
a cup of creme fraiche,
one egg
some white wine,
some cheese,
salt and pepper.
So, let's cook.
The Quiche is originally a dish with a shortcrust or filo pastry, a vegetable topping with creme fraiche/egg mix and some cheese for size. For tonight, we prepared a variant with a yeast dough and some saisonal veggies. We also used ham, but you can leave this out if you want a vegetarian variant. The egg used for binding the veggies with the topping can be left out, too; in this case, a hint of starch added to the creme fraiche for enhanced binding. This is great as a diner dish, but also works out well if cut in smaller portions and served cold at BBQs or parties. Drinks to go along can be white wine or beer.

Special utensils needed:
A mixer with kneading hooks and an oven pan (both pictured before).

First prepare the vegetables. Peel and slice the carrots (you can scrape the peel off with the back of a knife, too), cut the leek and the spring onions in rings:
smallCIMG1206.jpg

smallCIMG1207.jpg

smallCIMG1208.jpg

smallCIMG1209.jpg

smallCIMG1210.jpg

smallCIMG1211.jpg

Next, cut the smoked ham or bacon in stripes (technique shown courtesy of the wife):
smallCIMG1212.jpg

smallCIMG1213.jpg

smallCIMG1214.jpg

Heat some neutral oil in a pot, roast the ham in it for a few moments, put the veggies in the pot and add two small glasses of white wine:
smallCIMG1215.jpg

smallCIMG1216.jpg

smallCIMG1217.jpg

smallCIMG1218.jpg

smallCIMG1219.jpg

Stir it for a few moments, the put a lid on the pot and let it cook for a 4-5 minutes. The result should be slighly collapsed veggies and a decent amount of decoction(sp?):
smallCIMG1222.jpg

smallCIMG1224.jpg

Put the pot from the stove and let it cool down with closed lid.
Next, prepare the dough. I explained the preparation in the "Sausage fest" post, so feel free to have a look there if you have got questions. This time, I used milk instead of water for the dough:
smallCIMG1231.jpg

The kitchen towel I used for covering the bowl was by accident one of the towels that one of my grandmothers used. In the dark ages before video games, people killed their time with stitching patterns and sayings in said towels. The translation for this one is roughly:
smallCIMG1235.jpg

"Five were invited/Ten people came/stretch the soup with some water/serve them all with the same!":lol Translation skills -1

After letting the dough rest for about 60 to 70 minutes with kneading it at half time, spread it into the oven pan (put some olive oil in the pan first to ease spreading):
smallCIMG1241.jpg

Next, spread the veggies generously over the dough. Best use some pincers and let the veggies drip out over the pot before spreading:
smallCIMG1245.jpg

smallCIMG1246.jpg

Now prepare the topping. Mix the creme fraiche with the egg, add the veggie decoction and some salt/pepper for intensive taste:
smallCIMG1242.jpg

smallCIMG1247.jpg

smallCIMG1249.jpg

smallCIMG1248.jpg

Pour the topping evenly over the quiche and spread the grated cheese for the finish:
smallCIMG1250.jpg

smallCIMG1252.jpg

smallCIMG1254.jpg

Put the quiche in the oven at 3/4 heat. I had some excess dough, so I prepared a little bread for tomorrow:
smallCIMG1256.jpg

smallCIMG1255.jpg

Finish line:
Bake the quiche until the cheese gets golden brown and crunchy (about 30 to 40 minutes):
smallCIMG1257.jpg

DONE!
Serve directly out of the pan and add some dip if you like (I had some bought Tsatsiki):
smallCIMG1261.jpg

The dough should be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside:
smallCIMG1264.jpg

smallCIMG1267.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn!

I had a lazy evening for the wife preparing all major parts of this dish.
If you liked it, please say "Thank you Jeannie!" to honor her efforts:)

Tonights dish is Käsespätzle:
smallP1010544.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Man that looks amaaaaaaazing! *drools*
This still remains my favorite OT thread. Great job OnkelC and the everyone for keeping it going. One of these days I'll take pics of my infamous pasta.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Kaako said:
Man that looks amaaaaaaazing! *drools*
This still remains my favorite OT thread. Great job OnkelC and the everyone for keeping it going. One of these days I'll take pics of my infamous pasta.

Desperado

Well, I've had my own kitchen for nearly 3 months now, but I haven't done much in the way of cooking. I have a rice cooker, so I use that some, and I've fried a few eggs and made pasta with pre-made sauce. Tonight, I had the rice cooker preparing some rice, but I didn't want to have mixed vegetables with it like I always do, so I threw some olive oil in a pan, and dumped a can of tuna in. Added some spices, and a few minutes later, I had some yummy tuna to go over my rice.

So simple!

Flo

I made this vegan carrot pie just now, it was a test to see if it tastes good enough to make for my grandma's birthday. It tastes pretty damn good!
2zthqit.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom