• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Flo said:
I made this vegan carrot pie just now, it was a test to see if it tastes good enough to make for my grandma's birthday. It tastes pretty damn good!
2zthqit.jpg

nice!

I've been kinda busy with school and making time for Left 4 Dead but this weekend and Thanksgiving weekend will give me opportunities to share.

Flo

Carrot pie

Ingredients cake
3 cups/450 gr shredded carrot (foodprocessor or something similar is handy)
1,25 cup/250 gr sugar
2 cups/ 300 gr flour
0,5 ts salt
2 ts baking powder
2 ts cinnamon
0,5 cup/110 ml orange juice
0,75 cup/165 ml canola oil
Ingredients frosting
30 ml Tofutti cream cheese
30 ml margarine
1 cup/160 gr powdered sugar
1 ts vanilla

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 180 C.
- Do not use a handmixer for the batter, use a ladle or a spoon. Mix all the dry ingredients. Then mix the carrots and the oil into the dry ingredients. Add the orange juice and mix it all together.
- Grease the pan you want to use and put the batter into it. Bake for 45 min and check if its done by inserting a knife/toothpick. Let it cool completely (and really completely, I didnt and my frosting melted on one side while i hadnt even finished the other.)
- Chop up the butter to small pieces. Put all the ingredients for the topping in a bowl and mix it with a handmixer (you can add a little water if needed, I did after I found out the powdered sugar would fly everywhere when stirring it in any way). Add water until the consistency of the topping seems right. I then put it in a normal plastic bread bag, cut off the corner and put the frosting on any way you like!

I also made a vegan version of the banana bread a week ago and it was freaking amazing! I added pieces of a whole banana to the dough, and it gave a really nice touch.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
so i just shoved a shrimp/pineapple salad into the fridge and i'm gonna eat it for dinner w/ the gf in about 8-9 hours.

is this thing gonna go bad? the pineapple is fresh and i boiled and sauteed the (frozen) shrimps for maximum safety.

any comments would be much appreciated

edit: i wrapped everything up with saran wrap/cling film.

tri_willy

hello fellow iron gaffers, didn't think i was posting something again so soon but it seems i had some time to prepare something decent... i hope...

SCOTCH FILLET
scotchfillet.jpg

- this nice piece of meat was on sale so i took advantage of it and decide to buy some & finally have a go in trying to cook this beauty! first time ive ever prepared this kind of steak.
- sprinkled salt & pepper both sides. added some crushed garlic with rosemary & thyme to bring out "teh" flavours.

scotchfilletcooked.jpg

- bring a nice amount of extra virgin olive oil to the pan and make sure its very hot. make sure that once you add the steak to the pan that there is a sizzling sound (a good indication the steak will cook well). after turning once, add a couple of knobs of butter & keep spooning the melted butter which will help provide the steak in obtaining a good colour.
- i noticed that there is some correlation between how well you like your steak & touching certain parts of your face. touch to the cheeks (face :D ) indicates meat is about medium rare, touch to the chin = medium, and touch to the forehead = well done. i like mine just a tad over medium rare.

dinnerplate.jpg

- let the meat rest for about 10 minutes, i served it with greek salad which i also prepared and pasta salad (which i bought from the supermarket). i didnt make time to prepare a sauce to go with the steak and also would have like to make some garlic bread to go with the meal.

hope you guys ENJOY!!! :D

jarosh

valparaiso said:
so i just shoved a shrimp/pineapple salad into the fridge and i'm gonna eat it for dinner w/ the gf in about 8-9 hours.

is this thing gonna go bad? the pineapple is fresh and i boiled and sauteed the (frozen) shrimps for maximum safety.

any comments would be much appreciated

edit: i wrapped everything up with saran wrap/cling film.
absolutely not. as long as it stays in the fridge this will be perfectly fine. even tomorrow morning it should still be okay.

Zyzyxxz

tri_willy said:
hello fellow iron gaffers, didn't think i was posting something again so soon but it seems i had some time to prepare something decent... i hope...

SCOTCH FILLET
scotchfillet.jpg

What cut of meat did you use? Looks quite tasty

Flo said:
I made this vegan carrot pie just now, it was a test to see if it tastes good enough to make for my grandma's birthday. It tastes pretty damn good!
2zthqit.jpg

That looks good and I don't even like carrot cake! Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's good to have more vegan recipes in this thread.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
absolutely. off the top of my head:

4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1.5 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1.5 cups water
.25 cup olive oil

combine flour and kosher salt in a stand mixer bowl and whisk to aerate and combine. combine yeast and sugar in small bowl along with water warm to the touch and whisk with a fork to dissolve. let yeast mixture sit until foamy. add water and yeast mixture to flour and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. it should still be shaggy and wet. add the 1/4 cup olive oil (this will help the crust brown). knead for roughly ten minutes, until the gluten has developed and the baker's windowpane is evident. again, i don't like my dough too dry, so it should be wet.

move it to a plastic bag sprayed with oil in the fridge overnight for better flavor, or let double in size on plastic wrap sprayed with oil, divide into 2-4 dough balls (i did 4), and shape into pizzas after they double in size again.

whew, what a typing marathon

bud

wow, i've never used sugar in the dough. and i haven't really used olive oil in it either, but i do always put some on top, though. i'm such a noob lol. anyway, thanks. i'll try that out next time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the sugar is there because it feeds the yeast a bit. and your olive oil on top trick is very neopolitan from what i understand, so kudos on that.

Got lazy with my irongaf posting, but here's a photodump of the past two weeks:

3042433755_5f36d84b88_m.jpg

Beet, candied walnuts, and dried cherry tartare made by the BF. (vegan)

3043273866_d70c92821b.jpg

Scrambled duck egg, beets, and scalloped potatoes.

3043274016_0a354c8e1d_m.jpg

Pumpkin bundt cake by the bf.

3043274066_450381114c_o.jpg

Mushroom and barley soup by the bf. (vegan)

Zyzyxxz

Great looking food as usual NakedSushi, the "tartare" is pretty clever but...

How come you never play Left 4 Dead when I happen to play though?!

Anyway what are you guys serving for Thanksgiving?

It's my first time doing it this year so I was gonna go with the basics to start off with:

Turkey
Mashed potatoes....

and then what?! Need ideas!

Zyzyxxz said:
Turkey
Mashed potatoes....

My favorites after those is green bean casserole and creamed corn. Ive tried to make the beans with non-frozen/canned but its just not the same. The creamed corn will have sweat corn I froze this summer in it along with some canned stuff. It bothers to me that my thanksgiving food taste memories all have some amount of processed/canned/frozen in it, which I try hard to not include nowadays.

I'd say you'd be safe with some cornbread to go along with the mashed potatoes (i'm assuming you're making gravy too?) I have a good cornbread recipe if you need it.

For dessert, I'd say a nice fruit salad would be easy/quick to make. And healthy too. Maybe pumpkin pie if you don't want to go that route.

Anyway, here's my latest contributions

Potatoes wedges with caremlized onion. I've made it before but I think I'm on the verge of perfecting it
2mq9c10.jpg

Chicken nuggets
2mpljcg.jpg

Both with mustard
211l56v.jpg

Walnut/raisin bread

et8yoo.jpg

The crunchy inside!

992r03.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
Great looking food as usual NakedSushi, the "tartare" is pretty clever but...

How come you never play Left 4 Dead when I happen to play though?!

Anyway what are you guys serving for Thanksgiving?

It's my first time doing it this year so I was gonna go with the basics to start off with:

Turkey
Mashed potatoes....

I did see you on steam once...right as I was about to sign off. LOL. I usually play around 7pm-8:30pm, or 10pm+. We'll see each other one day!

We're hosting Thanksgiving this year, so I think it's gonna be mostly veggies. Since I suck at making meat, I don't think there's going to be turkey V_V;

jarosh

last night we had my brother and his gf over so i made roasted potatoes and broccoli for dinner.

ingredients:

broccoli
a mix of yellow and red skinned potatoes
sweet potatoes
fresh (chopped) parsley
plenty of olive oil
paprika
pepper
salt
bread crumbs
parmesan

mix all the ingredients except bread crumbs and parmesan in a bowl

221108-1.jpg

put into an oven pan (i had enough for two)

221108-2.jpg

after half the time in the oven sprinkle the bread crumbs and the parmesan (not pictured) generously over top

221108-3.jpg

done

221108-4.jpg

221108-5.jpg

we also had a tomato and cucumber salad with a dijon mustard/pumpkin seed oil dressing. didn't take any pics of it though.

Truant

I'm making Coq au Vin tonight, but I forgot to bring a shopping list. My memory sucks, but I manage to scavenge the following ingredients. I bought enough for around 3 people.

Chicken
Bacon
Carrots
Garlic
Basil
Rosmary (Unsure about this)
Onions
Potatoes
Wine

My initial plans are to boil the chicken carcass with some garlic, salt and pepper, and basil, with a touch of chicken brine. When this has set in, I'll fry the bacon, then the chicken in the bacon fat, put it in a pan with the vegetables and then add the hot chicken water :lol .

Is this a good plan of action?

Davidion

My first contribution. I'm not much of a cook, but here's a picture of my small but growing sake and (recently depleted) beer collection.

From left to right:
Meibo Yuwano Tsuri Junmai Ginjo
Mineno Hakubai Ginjo
Masumi Karakuchi Ki-ippon Junmai Ginjo
Dassai 23 Junmai Daiginjo
My lonely bottle of Chimay white label

df9hyd.jpg

Momar

aka Ryder
Just made this last night, huge resolution courtesy of my girlfriend :)
I just followed a recipe I saw Onkel post earlier in the thread, turned out fantastic. Spaghetti + pasta sauce + fried mozarella = yum. If you live in the Bay Area, you must get your cheese from the Cheeseboard Collective!

2coj58k.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Ryder said:
Just made this last night, huge resolution courtesy of my girlfriend :)
I just followed a recipe I saw Onkel post earlier in the thread, turned out fantastic. Spaghetti + pasta sauce + fried mozarella = yum. If you live in the Bay Area, you must get your cheese from the Cheeseboard Collective!

http://i38.tinypic.com/2e6fu9t.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Congrats and thank you for the props. It's really easy to make, isn't it?

Milchjon

Does anybody know a good recipe for fried chicken?
I got kind of addicted to KFC when I was travelling and since there's no place to get fried chicken where I live (If I don't want to drive for hours), I would like to try preparing it myself.
Thanks in advance

Davidion

Milchjon said:
I got kind of addicted to KFC when I was travelling and since there's no place to get fried chicken where I live (If I don't want to drive for hours), I would like to try preparing it myself.
Thanks in advance

If you're a good and just person, you'll incorporate Panko into your recipe. That's all I can help you with. :lol

Zyzyxxz

Milchjon said:
Thanks in advance

look a few pages back, a couple people made some

besada

Banned
Milchjon said:
Thanks in advance

Try this KFC-alike recipe. I've used it before. It's some work, but it's as close as I've tasted to replicating KFC Original Recipe.

Original Kentucky Fried Chicken Coating Secret Ingredients

2 envelopes tomato soup mix, preferably Lipton cup-o-soup brand
2 envelopes Italian dressing mix
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried chervil (optional, but makes a huge difference in taste)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon pepper

3 cups pancake mix, preferably Bisquick brand (self-rising flour can be substituted, but won't taste as good)

Instructions for Making the Original KFC Recipe

Blend all of the Kentucky Fried Chicken ingredients for the coating in a blender.

The fried chicken coating is enough for a whole chicken, cut up. Soak the chicken pieces in buttermilk for at least one hour in the refrigerator. Remove chicken from buttermilk and roll in the chicken coating mixture above. Let chicken sit at room temperature while waiting for the oil to get hot.

Deep fry if possible for the most authentic copy of the original Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe. If that is not possible, use a cast iron skillet. Do not crowd the chicken when placing into the skillet. Use lard or shortening if you really want that original Kentucky Fried Chicken taste. If you're making this chicken recipe, chances are you weren't looking for low-fat, healthy recipes. ;)

Brown the chicken in the skillet on high heat. Then turn down the heat and cover the pan. Cook until the fried chicken is done, about 30 minutes. During the last 5 or 10 minutes, uncover the pan and turn up the heat. This will crisp up the fried chicken. Be careful not to burn the chicken during this last step.

Remove the fried chicken and drain on paper towels. Serve while still hot.

Trying to maintain a food budget these days, and I'm limited a toaster oven, microwave, and two spot electric range.

You're Doing It Wrong Chicken Parmesan!
THere's no Parmesan cheese in the dish :(

Ingredients:

Tyson Chicken Patties
Linguine
Pasta Sauce
Mozzarella slices

1. Heat up the chicken patties.
2. Cook the linguine noodles

Once you have this crap prepared follow the pictures:

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes:

IMG_0097.jpg

Slice and serve:

IMG_0098.jpg

waxer

Hopefully this doesnt count as a scan but a mag picked up one of our recipes(which we slightly modified) the other day. Sorry about the darkness. If the pics a no no then Ill post just the recipe. Its our to give anyway.

29vgvgo.jpg

Also I made some raspberry, blueberry and apple pies. If I remember Ill take pics of them cut in half when I eat later :) Slim chance as that might be.

34yrbt5.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hi all, new to Irongaf. Here's what I made this past weekend,

azdx1e.jpg

Fried spicy salmon with sweet sauce and fried rice.

I didn't really follow a recipe and just made it up as I went along but it tasted really good.

I also made some curry beef and a pizza margarita but forgot to take pictures of those.

EDIT: Need soem advice too :X

I'm a bit of a novice cook, so I'm having a few issues. One thing that's been bugging me is that every time I try to cook a steak, it always comes out grey. It still tastes great, but it's just not visually appealling at all. I'm even using a cast iron skillet to sear then bake it in the oven at high temperature.

What am I doing wrong?

Zyzyxxz

Adumaha said:
Hi all, new to Irongaf. Here's what I made this past weekend,

azdx1e.jpg

Fried spicy salmon with sweet sauce and fried rice.

I didn't really follow a recipe and just made it up as I went along but it tasted really good.

I also made some curry beef and a pizza margarita but forgot to take pictures of those.

fried rice never needs a recipe!

Just follow the same process but put whatever you want in it, that is the beauty of it.

Divvy

Zyzyxxz said:
fried rice never needs a recipe!

Just follow the same process but put whatever you want in it, that is the beauty of it.

Damn straight. One of the most important lessons I've learned pertaining to cooking is beating an egg into the rice beforehand. Makes fried rice 1000x better :D.

Zyzyxxz

Adumaha said:
Damn straight. One of the most important lessons I've learned pertaining to cooking is beating an egg into the rice beforehand. Makes fried rice 1000x better :D.

Did you use cold rice? That's important as it prevents the rice from getting soggy.

As for me I haven't been cooking much but Thanksgiving is coming up and this is my first year cooking it for my family so this pic will have to tide you over until I get my Turkey on!
3058451490_2b695db4c2_b.jpg

That salmon looks great.

Adumaha said:
One thing that's been bugging me is that every time I try to cook a steak, it always comes out grey. It still tastes great, but it's just not visually appealling at all. I'm even using a cast iron skillet to sear then bake it in the oven at high temperature.
More heat. Make sure that the pan's really hot (smoking when dry) before the steak hits it, and turn up the burner some more if you can. If you pat the surfaces of the steak dry with a paper towel before you sear it, you'll get a better, browner crust, too. If your stove-top burners or elements for some reason won't get the pan hot enough, you can always heat it up in the oven before putting back on the burner at max heat.

Divvy

Zyzyxxz said:
Did you use cold rice? That's important as it prevents the rice from getting soggy.

Ah no, I forgot to make rice the day before so I had to cook it right then. Next time!

Slidewinder said:
More heat. Make sure that the pan's really hot (smoking when dry) before the steak hits it, and turn up the burner some more if you can. If you pat the surfaces of the steak dry with a paper towel before you sear it, you'll get a better, browner crust, too. If your stove-top burners or elements for some reason won't get the pan hot enough, you can always heat it up in the oven before putting back on the burner at max heat.

Great advice, thanks!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Adumaha said:
Ah no, I forgot to make rice the day before so I had to cook it right then. Next time!

Great advice, thanks!

Also, don't use high heat in the oven. If you nuke it, it's only going to dry out. And use a thermometer, 56 degrees celsius for rare/medium rare.

jarosh

this is a pic cloudwalking took a couple of days ago that turned out pretty nice.
just some random curry i made with snow peas, mini peppers, shrimp and coriander.

3040949629_ca72083da3.jpg

Zyzyxxz

excellent looking curry Jarosh.

BTW since I'm preparing a Thanksgiving dinner for my family I am wondering about the potatoes, do I need to do anything to them if I am going to dice them and store them in the fridge for use tomorrow?

deadbeef

Crappy cellphone pic, but I'm bringing green bean casserole, deviled eggs (with a hint of red pepper - topped with paprika), and fresh cranberry sauce with apples, raisins and cinnamon.

2uze2r8.jpg

Divvy

Some foods, sorry for the blurry-ass quality camera.

Udon ramen with bbq pork based on Zyzyxxz's recipe (thanks!)
2ylkbap.jpg

And Chicken Parmigiana
2cz6bz4.jpg

Gonna try Crepes Suzette tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom