• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Hail To The Thief a lot. I think if it were ten tracks it could be right up there with their best. We Suck Young Blood might even be my favourite Radiohead song.

InfernoNR

I agree.

I never liked Bloom.. until this happened...

I've always loved bloom, and this version gave me chills. I reallllllly hope this is a new version he was testing out to play while on their next tour... would love to hear this rendition live with some atmospheric backing from the rest of the band (Jonny, most likely)

I love Hail To The Thief a lot. I think if it were ten tracks it could be right up there with their best. We Suck Young Blood might even be my favourite Radiohead song.

That's kind of why I demoted it a bit. I think even members of the band have commented that they wished they had edited the album down a bit more. It has some great tracks, but can really drag around its midsection.

rhino4evr

OKC is my favorite album of all time.
That being said I love all their stuff, have heard every b-side , and have dozens of bootleg shows.

The new Bond song has grown on me a lot.

NotLiquid

If Spectre is any indication of the direction of the new album will be taking I think this will be the first time in a long time Radiohead has my full attention.

Spacey, melodic, creepy, atmospheric Radiohead is the best Radiohead. They were never a good rock band (despite what may be implied by my "Thom Cobain" avatar).

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. Kid A
4. Amnesiac
5. Hail to the Thief
6. King of Limbs
7. The Bends
8. Pablo Honey

JeTmAn81

Spacey, melodic, creepy, atmospheric Radiohead is the best Radiohead. They were never a good rock band (despite what may be implied by my "Thom Cobain" avatar).

1. In Rainbows
2. OK Computer
3. Kid A
4. Amnesiac
5. Hail to the Thief
6. King of Limbs
7. The Bends
8. Pablo Honey

The Bends is my favorite album by them, so I definitely disagree with this statement. OK Computer, their most acclaimed work, is also fairly rocking.

omgkitty

I'll get in on this, even though I feel like it changes depending on my mood. At any time I could also have In Rainbows and OK Computer on top, though I think the bottom 2 are pretty set for me. I liked King of Limbs and don't even hate Pablo Honey, but I just don't find myself ever coming back to them.

1. Kid A
2. In Rainbows
3. OK Computer
4. Amnesiac
5. The Bends
6. Hail to the Thief
7. King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey

Tanston

I'm hoping for another in rainbows. That album seemed to marry the guitars and electronic aspects of their music perfectly.

Pretty much this. I love In Rainbows easily one of my top 5 all time favorites.

TKOL fell pretty flat to me but in defense of TKOL it came out about 2 weeks after my ex-wife told me she wanted a divorce out of the blue which pretty much sent me into catatonic shock. Even if it was their best work I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it. I still don't find myself ever really falling in love with it except Feral, that track is incredible.

pantsmith

In Rainbows came out when I first got to college, and King of Limbs was the soundtrack to me staying up all night putting together my senior thesis.

Crazy to think how much has happened since then.

In Rainbows came out when I first got to college, and King of Limbs was the soundtrack to me staying up all night putting together my senior thesis.

Not to compare stories, but on the same day -- with a paycheck from my teenage internship -- I bought a PlayStation 1, Final Fantasy VII, and OK Computer.

It was an awesome day. The artwork even kinda looked the same.

Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg

1814630-box_ff7.png

That was my 1997 for sure. To this day the two things are still closely related in my mind. Nice as the soundtrack for FF7 was, I frequently played OKC over it; it went together pretty well.

similar but shift it back a year. In Rainbows was my HS Senior year and TKOL was my Junior year late night coding soundtrack. Bloom at 4am while nearly dying from lack of sleep is absolute bliss.

For In Rainbows, I pulled an all nighter on a school day (wed night?) playing counter-strike source and constantly refreshing the Radiohead Tour Tickets page with a script. It turns out the stupid tickets went on sale the next morning at like 8 am, so I could have gone to sleep. Anyways, I got third row tickets to the Houston showing and skipped my prom and took a date to Radiohead instead. Was worth it.

Not to compare stories, but on the same day -- with a paycheck from my teenage internship -- I bought a PlayStation 1, Final Fantasy VII, and OK Computer.

It was an awesome day. The artwork even kinda looked the same.

Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg

1814630-box_ff7.png

That was my 1997 for sure. To this day the two things are still closely related in my mind. Nice as the soundtrack for FF7 was, I frequently played OKC over it; it went together pretty well.

Awesome. I have that with a couple of games and albums as well. It is the best feeling, though difficult to share with others since there's probably not that many others out there that have the same combinations.

For me:

1) Kid A (favourite album of all time)
2) In Rainbows
3) OK Computer
4) Hail to the Thief
5) Amnesiac
6) The Bends
7) King of Limbs
8) Pablo Honey

It's weird how, over time, I've begun to appreciate more of Amnesiac. It used to be near the bottom, just ahead of Pablo. Now it's higher than The Bends. Blimey.

And as someone alluded to earlier, it tells you a lot of their body of work that, Pablo Honey aside (because it was shite), their alright best (King of Limbs) is still better than most bands going today, I feel.

I just hope it's better than King of Limbs. I love Radiohead, I've seen them in concert numerous times, In Rainbows is probably my second favourite of theirs. I'd prefer to listen to Pablo Honey than King of Limbs.

Blader

CoS writer on reddit said very matter of factly that Radiohead will be playing in the U.S. this summer.

Not that CoS is infallible or anything, but this is the same guy who reported the LCD reunion a couple months before it was announced.

Hype...?

CoS writer on reddit said very matter of factly that Radiohead will be playing in the U.S. this summer.

Not that CoS is infallible or anything, but this is the same guy who reported the LCD reunion a couple months before it was announced.

Hype...?

God I hope they actually play in my state this time...

I've never been to a Radiohead show... or many live performances in general. Are tickets usually outrageously expensive? What kind of venues do they usually play?

One of the only ones I've been to is a Portishead concert at Hammerstein Ballroom. It was a reasonable $60 or so if I recall correctly and an amazing performance.

Blader

I've never been to a Radiohead show... or many live performances in general. Are tickets usually outrageously expensive? What kind of venues do they usually play?

I was way too broke to see them on their last tour (had I known it would be their last for four years, I would've said it fuck it to eating for a week and gone anyway :lol) but I think they played mostly stadiums. Tickets were between $80 and 100 iirc.

One of the only ones I've been to is a Portishead concert at Hammerstein Ballroom. It was a reasonable $60 or so if I recall correctly and an amazing performance.

I'd say you'd probably be looking at more like the $100 range

I'll get in on this, even though I feel like it changes depending on my mood. At any time I could also have In Rainbows and OK Computer on top, though I think the bottom 2 are pretty set for me. I liked King of Limbs and don't even hate Pablo Honey, but I just don't find myself ever coming back to them.

1. Kid A
2. In Rainbows
3. OK Computer
4. Amnesiac
5. The Bends
6. Hail to the Thief
7. King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey

In my three years of frequenting Gaf, i've seen Radiohead threads come and go and they always, always turn into people ranking their albums.

(For the record, this list is accurate but i'd put Kid A and Rainbows as Joint no.1)

robotrock

Banned

I was at that very Portishead show too. It's probably the greatest show I've ever been to.

Blader

Does Portishead actually tour or do they just do one-offs here and there? I'd love to see them one day but it feels like I'm just hearing about a new one long after it has happened.

Tenebrous

Does Portishead actually tour or do they just do one-offs here and there? I'd love to see them one day but it feels like I'm just hearing about a new one long after it has happened.

I'd love to know this also. I was hoping to catch them around the release of Third, but I couldn't manage it.

Servbot24

Banned
I saw Radiohead for $100 for the TKOL tour. Fantastic show aside from the really loud drunk guy next to me who had to sing along to every song even though he didn't know the words.

amnesiac

Not seeing Radiohead on their TKOL tour is one of my biggest regrets. It was the first time they came to Detroit since the 90s or something so hopefully they'll come back if they tour this year.

I was at that very Portishead show too. It's probably the greatest show I've ever been to.
Yes! Their commitment to sound quality is ridiculously high. I didn't much care for the opening act (Though Forms?) and was worried the main show would sound similarly fuzzy, but afterwords the P-head crew had a really thorough setup to deal with the echoey venue, and the resulting sound was phenomenal!

I believe they tour just once for each release... and sometimes additionally in Europe. Geoff Barrow's been hinting at another album in the works, but that might mean it comes 3 years from now. As soon a tour is announced I'm jumping on those tickets though.

Oreoleo

They usually play large outdoor pavilion type venues.

I'd say you'd probably be looking at more like the $100 range
For their last two US tours (at least) Radiohead has circumvented Ticketmaster IIRC so tickets haven't been outrageous. $60-75 for good seats is probably right on the money. Less if you don't mind settling for sitting on the lawn/in the back. Problem is they sell out fast.

Fake edit: Just dug up my ticket orders for the In Rainbows and TKOL tours: $56 each for In Rainbows and $75 each for TKOL plus S&H, both times right up front in the pit.

Outside of maybe a Coachella or whatever here or there, Portishead hasn't toured the US since 2011 (somewhat tragically I had tickets for one of the shows but wasn't able to go). Before that it had been (I believe) a full decade since they last toured here. It's definitely rare. When you hear news of the next Portishead album coming out (whenever that is) keep your ear to the ground about a tour because it might be the last one. Portishead won't be around forever, sadly.

A-V-B

I do have to say, though - and I hate to be that guy - but the dynamic compression on "Spectre" is atrocious. So much clipping - eugh. For a band that spends so much energy on production, they sure do like the shitty blown out sound.

Always check out the vinyl mixes on Radiohead albums. They're awesome.

Stoked for this. KOL wasn't great, no, but I think any band is allowed a mis-step or two. As long as they don't get complacent - and they don't show signs of doing that.

I do have to say, though - and I hate to be that guy - but the dynamic compression on "Spectre" is atrocious. So much clipping - eugh. For a band that spends so much energy on production, they sure do like the shitty blown out sound.
Spectre sounds unfinished to me. The layering of vocals at 1:04 is really weird. It sounds like they fade out a failed ending to the melody and fade in a replacement.

There does seem to be lack of clarity in the orchestral parts. I'm not sure if it's compression or perhaps even a synthesized orchestra... but I'm not hearing any harsh clipping aside from 2:48, and I'm assuming that one's deliberate.

Seen Radiohead twice: Malahide Castle, Dublin in 2008 to tour In Rainbows and at The O2 in London to tour King of Limbs. For Malahide, it was £40 (paid for ticket in North instead of South in Euros because, well, I live in the North) and for The O2, it was £60.

Both concerts were completely godly. Malahide for me just edges The O2 but both were so so great. If they're doing a UK show at The O2, I'd try and do everything in my power to be there. If you get a chance to see them for the first time, money shouldn't be too much of an issue and even then, just do it. It's fucking Radiohead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom