• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
WImNKtp.jpg

Uncropped version of the new artwork.

Edit: Okay so apparently some people are seeing 2 tracks on the Radiohead soundcloud, one is Spectre and the other isn't visible (private). It only shows one for me though, so I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Blader

Edit: Okay so apparently some people are seeing 2 tracks on the Radiohead soundcloud, one is Spectre and the other isn't visible (private). It only shows one for me though, so I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Ha, the Radiohead subreddit is ruining my productivity today. Apparently you have to follow them on Soundcloud to see 2 tracks thing.

In other news, they announced they're playing Summer Sonic in Tokyo this year. Looks like that's definitely the new logo they're going with.

somewhat unrelated, but one thing that always irks me about the king of limbs complaints, the "it's too short" one. 37 minutes is not short. people maybe have no idea how many classic albums are 37 minutes or less.

somewhat unrelated, but one thing that always irks me about the king of limbs complaints, the "it's too short" one. 37 minutes is not short. people maybe have no idea how many classic albums are 37 minutes or less.

The only Radiohead album I feel has length problems is Hail to the Thief.

Even Radiohead tends to agree:

Radiohead have been critical of Hail to the Thief. In a 2006 interview with Spin, Yorke said: "I'd maybe change the playlist. I think we had a meltdown when we put it together ... as Nigel says, I wish I had another go at it. We wanted to do things quickly, and I think the songs suffered."[87] In 2008, O'Brien told Mojo: "We should have pruned it down to 10 songs, then it would have been a really good record. I think we lost people on a couple of tracks and it broke the spell of the record." In the same interview, Colin Greenwood said: "I didn't want three or four songs on there, because I thought some of the ideas we were trying out weren't completely finished ... For me, Hail to the Thief was more of a holding process, really."[88] In 2013, Godrich told the NME: "I think there's some great moments on there - but too many songs. I think that's kind of agreed amongst the camp these days but at the time it was just what happened ... As a whole I think it's charming because of the lack of editing. But personally it's probably my least favourite of all the albums ... It didn't really have its own direction. It was almost like a homogeny of previous work. Maybe that's its strength."[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail_to_the_Thief#Band_opinions

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Between this Radiohead album and the all-but-officially-announced Massive Attack EP, I really need fewer teases and more concrete details about release schedules.

Servbot24

Banned

It's too short because it doesn't contain very many ideas. Everyone is aware there are much better albums that are also much shorter.

ZeroRay

King of Limbs album feels like two 4 song EP's combined.

The live and Basement versions of the tracks actually make everything feel more cohesive. Partly due to the instrumental arrangements as well as having the first four tracks feel as 'warm' as the last four.

Hoping they drop a track tonight with the release date. GIVE IT TO ME DAMN IT. And come to Miami too.

Sorry, but 4 years with no album, then a 37 minute album, then 5 years with no album, is not exactly a sign of a band at its most prolific. Supercollider / The Butcher really would've been nice additions, too.

Tenebrous

There's a difference between The King of Limbs & Pink Moon.

legend166

It feels short because it doesn't get good until Lotus Flower. I like Bloom live, but not as much on the album. And I don't feel like I'd be missing anything if I didn't hear Feral and Good Morning Mr. Magpie ever again.

But then you get to Lotus Flower, and that four song run is as good as they've ever done. But then it's over.

RDreamer

37 minutes to me is pretty short, but then again I'm used to listening to some fucking bloated albums. 37 minutes without a flawless track that's just awesome after awesome would be fine, but as someone pointed out it's really the last 4 tracks where it hits its stride and gets really good... then it's over.

"It's short" and "it feels short" are not the same thing, I agree that the first half is weak (though bloom is my favourite song of the album), so I could say that it feels incomplete or unfulfilling, but not short. Also at this point they're a veteran band, few bands after 15 or 20 years of existence can release a (good) album every two years.

King of Limbs was way too short. It's over just as you're sinking into it.

I know that some aren't fans of HttT's length but I've gotten lost inside that album so many times and I love every minute of it. Perhaps there should have been an official 10/11 track release with a followup special edition with all of the other tracks?

Either way... We got "There, There" from it and that's all that matters. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
obligatory alternate track list for HTTT from Yorke:

T Yizzle said:
there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Growing up, I was awful and didn't buy HTTT, and had a downloaded version. Sit Down Stand Up didn't have a drum machine and The Gloaming was a bit longer. I never did work out what I was listening to? I assume it was the early leak?

I'd be curious to go back and listen to it again.

Growing up, I was awful and didn't buy HTTT, and had a downloaded version. Sit Down Stand Up didn't have a drum machine and The Gloaming was a bit longer. I never did work out what I was listening to? I assume it was the early leak?

Yeah. Early versions leaked before the final release. I remember those versions too.

omgkitty

That's pretty good but honestly the only HTTT track I could exclude is Punch Up At A Wedding.

I love Punch Up At a Wedding :\ That last stretch of 4 songs are some of my favorite Radiohead tracks (Well I could do without Scatterbrain). A Wolf at the Door is probably their second best album closer outside of Videotape.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty good but honestly the only HTTT track I could exclude is Punch Up At A Wedding.

I will get drunk and fight your best man for such a statement. it's one of the better songs on the album.

Tenebrous

I will get drunk and fight your best man for such a statement. it's one of the better songs on the album.

I love Punch Up At a Wedding :\ That last stretch of 4 songs are some of my favorite Radiohead tracks (Well I could do without Scatterbrain). A Wolf at the Door is probably their second best album closer outside of Videotape.

You're both right, apart from that last bit. I love A Wolf at the Door, but I'd struggle to put it ahead of The Tourist, Videotape, Street Spirit, or Motion Picture Soundtrack.

omgkitty

I love Myxomatosis so much. It's one of those songs that really got me into Radiohead and it sounds nothing like their other stuff.

hypotc

I'm forever grateful to my friend for showing me "Everything In It's Right Place" back in 2008. Radiohead is now my favorite band, and I own (almost) all their albums on vinyl.

Hoping for a surprise announcement just like back in 2011, or even better, a surprise release with no announcement beforehand. Thom did that with "Tomorrow's Modern Boxes", so why not do it again amirite. :)

OmegaX0

Well I love Scatterbrain so we have to agree to disagree haha. I'd say HTTT is great just like it is, people can pick and choose which songs they want to hear anyway.

No Backdrifting, no sale. But an interesting thing to read. Cutting Young Blood and Punch-up makes sense to me, but leaving Sit Down doesn't. Sit Down is all of Radiohead's worst tendencies in one song, "The Raindrops" being something specifically that I'm sure I've seen parodied. And 2+2 has to open. The line noise at the beginning just feels like a band getting set up and getting ready.

The rest, I think, is cool.
I'd replace Sit Down with Backdrifts.
Beaten!

omgkitty

I might have to make a playlist out of this as well.

I've been rocking it all day and it does have a great flow though I feel bad missing A Punch Up At a Wedding and am not really sure where it fits in well.

Edit: Actually it's not bad between 2+2=5 and Myxomatosis. That intro on Myxomatosis sounds weird coming after just about anything.

Blader

I prefer Thom's tracklist. The album as is is just a little too long and all over the place. Also, the version of I Will they went with is dreadfully dull; they fucked up not going with the LA version.

Yeah, it was an unmastered version that leaked early.

GG-Duo

there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

Wow. This is a great track list.

this topic becoming a conversation about HTTT tracklistings has been repeatedly breaking my heart

sidenote: people on atease seem to currently be freaking out about website/domain registry stuff

I prefer Thom's tracklist. The album as is is just a little too long and all over the place. Also, the version of I Will they went with is dreadfully dull; they fucked up not going with the LA version.
Yessss to the "LA Version" of I Will. Though, really, I wish I could have the version that's running backwards on Spinning Plates with the vocals of the HTTT album version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom