• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Blast Corps really that good?

I always hear people raving about it so I picked it up today (cheap).

So far I'm not getting it. What are you supposed to do just smash as many things as possible?

Socreges

Banned
Nah, we were just being ironic. It's actually a really shitty game, and we all just thought it would be funny to pretend that it was great.

Watch some of these.

If you don't seem to be doing anything differently, then I suppose you're not about to like it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yes. Seriously, it is one fine piece of gaming. It's one of the very few games so addictive that I have played it nonstop all night until the sun came up again. I have done that very few times in my life.

i'd give my auntie and the rest of my family for a ds version

DISCLAIMER: I'm lying please don't listen mr internet devil

i guess you guys are being sarcastic, but here is some non-sarcasm for you: this game sucks balls.

i had it for n64 back in 98 or whenever, and the game was terrible. bad graphics and boring gameplay = nuts

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuck that. The game is brilliant. I got it towards the end of the N64's life, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it to pieces.

Mejilan

Um, clear the path for the train carrying the nukes.

All kinds of optional shit to do, but you can go back and replay the mission afterwards to accomplish that, so no pressure.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
Chittagong said:
Yes. Seriously, it is one fine piece of gaming. It's one of the very few games so addictive that I have played it nonstop all night until the sun came up again. I have done that very few times in my life.

I had a similar experience.... except it went on for a couple of days. Give it time, it grows on you like the microbes that give you body oder. Absolutely, a great game.

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
seismologist said:
I'm serious though. What are you supposed to do in this game? It doesn't even tell you before you start a mission.

Yea, well, knowing the object of the game actual adds to the enjoyment.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Once you start attempting platinums you will get addicted.

heh, I remember when I discovered the planets, I was floored. :lol Awesome, yet very challenging puzzle game.

Meier

Yep, Rare's best game ever next to Goldeneye.. wouldnt mind seeing a DS port -- might work well. I can envision swinging the bulldozer around with the touchpad.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Easily my favorite N64 game. It's outrageously good. It took a little while to get going, but once you start getting to do the varied missions, it really picks up really quickly. A fantastic game, and it's a goddamn shame that there's been no sequel or anything.

TIME! TIME! TIME TO GET MOVIN'!

Plus the soundtrack is wonderful.

Mejilan

In hindsight, the only thing I didn't like were the races. They weren't tough, just annoying and somewhat... inappropriate.

The moon... hahahah. That was nutty.

And that freakin heavy as hell truck, what was it called?

The Backlash! That was a beastie. Cyclone Suit rocked, though.

Ranger X

It was good and original when it came out (and had some good soundtrack) but this game didn't last long. Kind of games that get forgotten fast enough. Maybe the same fate is written for Katamari Damacy

Odoul

Game was fun as hell. And I had the same problem with the save. I rented it and BB had long stopped giving out instructions. I liked it but was frustrated. Wasn't until I rented it the second time I found out how to erase it. Unnecassarily complicated if you ask me.

Mejilan

Once you start unlocking multiple paths... just wow. There something just... strange about the entire experience. The game is FUGLY as hell, but there's something additionally (and unintentionally, I think) funny about seeing such hideous graphics and building models... and funkadelic colored explosions.

It also had a REALLY satisfying sense of impact and awesome sound effects for the destruction.

Boogie9IGN

I bought it from a friend back in the day (traded him a $3 rubber pikachu ball actually). Goddamn, I didn't know what the fuck to do in that game. The only levels I KINDA got were the bulldozer levels. Other than that, I just played the moon level and tried to float off jumps as much as possible.

Vlad

Boogie9IGN said:
I bought it from a friend back in the day (traded him a $3 rubber pikachu ball actually). Goddamn, I didn't know what the fuck to do in that game. The only levels I KINDA got were the bulldozer levels. Other than that, I just played the moon level and tried to float off jumps as much as possible.

Uh, it sounds like you were playing on a game that he had already completed, meaning that all of the levels were probably more-or-less barren, and all of the objective missions were completed.

Boogie9IGN

Vlad said:
Uh, it sounds like you were playing on a game that he had already completed, meaning that all of the levels were probably more-or-less barren, and all of the objective missions were completed.

What the hell? The levels were empty after you played em through once?? Aww fuck

Amir0x

Banned
Boogie9IGN said:
What the hell? The levels were empty after you played em through once?? Aww fuck

No, after you complete a level you can go back and destroy all remaining buildings and such. If you do that after several return trips to a map, then there will eventually be nothing left to destroy.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
IGN: What would be your dream project on a Nintendo handheld system?

Rare GBA Team: How about Grand Theft Auto Pokemon, now that would sell a few. Personally I would love to do a sequel to either Blast Corps or Sabre Wulf on the DS.

Mejilan

Yeah, BC saves ALL of your progress. All those little dots you get, all of the buildings you destroy, etc. Everything saves. So, if you return to a map enough times (generally 2 or 3 additional times, depending on the map) you could eventually leave the levels totally barren.

Acrylamid

MrPing1000 said:
i'd give my auntie and the rest of my family for a ds version

DISCLAIMER: I'm lying please don't listen mr internet devil
It's too late :(
PBF056BCPuppyWish.jpg

Hooker

I _LOVED_ this game. I was hooked once I tried it. Kept on playing till I got every platinum medal (not in one sitting)

And I didn't think the graphics were that bad.

AssMan

Banned
BC got fuggin HARD........a lot. I don't remember beating the game. Oh well. Wish Rare was still on board with GCN so we could a get a sequel.

Soul4ger

Getting the platinum medals was freakin' TOUGH.

This game is AWESOME. Man, just... Great. I need to bust out the N64, I've been having some odd urges recently.

Mike

My friend and I spent a good chunk of our senior year getting platinums on all of the courses. We figured it would unlock a new level or something, but when you achieve the seemingly impossible, all that happens is...

Your rank switches to "You Can Stop Now." Ha!

shibbs

Damn the haters, this game is/was awesome. There is nothing really like on the market.
One of rare's best and sequel worthy.

Top Bottom