• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "inclusive" important to you in gaming?

Is inclusion important to you in videogames?

• Yes

Votes: 26 4.9%
  • No

Votes: 506 95.1%

• Total voters

simpatico

Not at all. I don't want anything forced in that isn't part of the original vision. No Angrboda situations please. Those types of situations feel the same as an in-game ad.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

blaamaK.jpeg
I'm not sure about that, I personally like Piccolo.

Nah, entertainment is a form of escape for me. I don't want to be reminded about me or my life.

I'd watch a soap opera if I was into that.

Last edited:

Fess

No. I’m never included but it’s okay I have zero interest playing as myself in a game.

I grew up playing action games with cool badass characters clearly inspired by Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Van Damme, or featuring ninjas or robots. Used to draw action drawings of the games I played. Muscle guys with big swords and guns out there saving hot ladies.

I still prefer that. For me gaming is escapism. And there needs to be something there to pull me in. Either make a cool male character or a female character with some eye candy. Everyday-looking characters are boring.

Skin color can be whatever. Just make it make sense and don’t force it. AC Shadows is forced. South of Midnight is not.

If you’re making a group of characters, don’t always have one of each color and subgroup there is. It’s okay to have two white people in the same room and a woman who looks good and have classic feminine curves and isn’t a lesbian.

Inclusivity is important for me but so is great gameplay with attractive characters. Diablo 4 characters are so ugly I switched to female characters but there was a lack of bust, hips and ass size.

Some games imo are better with lore stories and or stranger characters aka masked.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
I respect a company should have the right to honor their artistic vision instead of being forced to do stuff they don't want to

if a company wants to have 7 white males as leads in a game.... who am i to say they can't do that if that is their vision?

I'm not sure about that, I personally like Piccolo.
Picccolo and his race is an example of natural inclusivity; his people is single-gender and lay eggs through the mouth. At no point did it matter to the story what gender he identifies as, even if Bulma did get confused at some point because she was ignorant of their biology. And Toriyama wasn't trying to teach anything from that. There is no preaching.

Hell, one of the earliest recurring jokes in Dragon Ball is that Child Goku literally couldn't tell man and woman apart. He was raised in the woods by one man and has no idea what makes anyone a man or a woman. He got over it eventually but that shows that there was no point talking about gender at all.

Basically the entire THOUGHT of Inclusivity is reworded racism. To think about re-arranging people by race and sexuality, putting them in groups, is exactly what racism is.

PeteBull

Lets see, at 42yo now and loved gaming since i discovered it so around 7yo when started going to school- communism just fell in our country and on the way to/back from school we had nasty arcade saloon where bunch of thugs gathered, but for a 1stgrader it was place closest to heaven- looked somewhat similar to this
images

Out of tens of thousands of games i always play male characters, exceptions being when im actually forced to play as female, so tomb raider games, both og ones and new trilogy, other than that characters with fixed sex in diablo series(altho rogue in d1 had fraction of playtime my sorc and warrior had, maybe 1/100th), forced lil bit of ellie in first TLOU, obviously couldnt stomach part2 even tho i love amazing graphics and owned ps4 from early 2014 to this very day, other than this oldie games with female protag i barely remember but were good- fear effect, and dino crisis, ps3 gen ones- pretty solid hack and slash heavenly sword.

Thats kinda it, years of playing WoW, so many souls and souls alike games, morrowind/oblivion/skyrim and so many other games with char creator and never fellt even slight need of making female character- 100% times its just buff white dude, yes even if i play as a mage i want it to be gymrat mage :)

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
lol well, I agree with both.

I think its great little girls of color get to see themselves in something like that and I like the lots of Anime can be seen as otherworldly some times in terms of representation being kinda irrelevant lol Semi OT, the concept of Goku being ok with losing and wanting to learn from the person that beat him is one of the most powerful and important concepts in all anime.

Winning isn't everything and how you lose is more important then how you win.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Not at all, but it doesn't bother when written and done well. Watched The Rookie recently and first two seasons were fine, but with season 3 and 4 they overdid it and it felt artifical.

Skelterz

No it’s always been a non issue to sane people of any race creed religion or sexuality, words like inclusion and diversity are tools to actually disinfranchise people and segregate communities by making them feel like they should have a chip on there shoulder thus in turn creating division. Everyone’s sick of it nobody wants it and the sooner we can get back to normal the fucking better.

It is neither. Nintendo used Zelda as a gameplay restriction so the playtesters would stop using the damn sword all the time. Nintendo doe NOT think about gender, only gameplay. The game was originally played as Link, the game just didn't work that way so changes were made to make a better game.

That's the key, it is all about making a better game, inclusion or exclusion gets in the way of that.
Huh? My quote was that it was not woke but innovative and you say it's neither, then proceed to talk about how they wanted to change the gameplay in a long running franchise. Could be arguing semantics here but that seems pretty damn innovative to me! Also to play devils advocate, I do think it's pretty clear they thought about gender and gameplay. Why couldn't you just have the same game but as link? They could have made some nonsense rule that pretty much has his sword in effective until you charge the meter in the game currently. It didn't have to be Zelda, Nintendo chose it to be, for whatever reason.

Side note, the new Zelda stinks because of the lack of combat. Its not like they even got rid of it, you just need to charge up a meter as mentioned above and can only play as link for a short time. I understand this part is subjective but they should have allowed Zelda to attack in some way, even if she is much weaker. Spawning your own enemies to play the game for you isnt fun

shamoomoo

Picccolo and his race is an example of natural inclusivity; his people is single-gender and lay eggs through the mouth. At no point did it matter to the story what gender he identifies as, even if Bulma did get confused at some point because she was ignorant of their biology. And Toriyama wasn't trying to teach anything from that. There is no preaching.

Hell, one of the earliest recurring jokes in Dragon Ball is that Child Goku literally couldn't tell man and woman apart. He was raised in the woods by one man and has no idea what makes anyone a man or a woman. He got over it eventually but that shows that there was no point talking about gender at all.

Basically the entire THOUGHT of Inclusivity is reworded racism. To think about re-arranging people by race and sexuality, putting them in groups, is exactly what racism is.
What does that have to with what the image is implying? Also,the late Toriyama has underutilized the main cast of DBZ outside of Goku and Vegeta.

Second to Piccolo,I also like Tien.

Through out all the time I've been gaming, I don't think I recall buying a game based on how "inclusive" it is/was.

Actions and character weighs more than what the race or species of the main protag is. Make a compelling character that goes on an epic quest and does epic shit without dripping some lecturing agenda, message or activism into it and you'll likely get me interested. Whoever is the root in bringing this age of polarization and politics into gamedev needs to get removed and slapped a restraining order from the industry. Games have fundamentally always been about escapism.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Might actually be the very least important thing in a videogame for me.
Meaning things like sound mix of the rear channels in cutscenes or if a real-time bounce from a flashlight is present come before that.

Last edited:

Braag

As a brown person, I don't mind diversity, but I loathe when it's forced. It's not hard to see when it is forced and it takes me out of the experience completely. I can only see a room full of mainly white people having a meeting about how they can pander towards people of color and other minority groups and it rubs me the wrong way.

Ok so I overall agree with you and OP, IDC just make compelling stories or characters and I'm in. I've never not bought a game because of the sex or skin color of the lead. But this stuff about TLoU 2 always struck me as odd.

How does Abby not fit in the story? Its a post apocalyptic world. I would argue the few women who DO survive are probably stronger and more in shape. Like there is 1000% wokeness in some video games, no doubt about it. I think if you can even make the case in TLOU 2, but Abby really isn't it for me. She's the perfect example of being not a traditional character lead that makes sense (even moreso when you look at her whole revenge angle).
More power to women but let's say realistically if we are in a post apocalyptic world , u see men or women In these roles ?
We already got Ellie ?who's also a lesbian that itself is forced inclusion and on top of it you need another big muscular looking girl or whatever to show the how powerful women are ?
As I said more power to women and nothing but love but it sort of distracts from the experience that it's not realistic at all

Trilobit

What bothers me when people talk about inclusivity is that it's often extremely surface level. As a white northern European I don't really identify myself with white people from USA more than I do with black people from Kenya or Burundi. I neither really identify myself with white people from Slavic countries or Mediterranian Europeans.

Alan Wake 2 might have come the closest for the first time in my life, but then again that was because of some side-characters, not the protagonist.

Now, I can still identify myself as a human with other characters that are humans or humanoids because I'm not a psychopath with impaired capacity for emapthy. And that's enough whether it's Jin Sakai, Miles Morales or Aloy. I don't need them to have my ethnic background.

So no, inclusivity is not really important to me. Great characters that feel real and are well written and not vehicles for someone's ideology is what gets my heart pumping.

april6e

There is nothing more thrilling than our daily dose of hearing caucasians tell everyone how important they think inclusivity in gaming is to them.
meh howard the duck GIF

Last edited:

vkbest

What's the opposite then? Exclusion occurs because a person or group doesn't want competition or the want to maintain their privileges. Exclusion does have benefits in a certain context.
So you are accepting those people are inferior and need quotas to work in the industry or to be represented? There are movies, series, actors, fiction characters, and games in the last years in natural ways. Why they were successful with no DEI propaganda?

Quotas only bring mediocrity. Also inclusion = exclusion, if you want the minority be represented as majority, you are excluding the majority too.

Only voted no because I guess that's closest to an "I don't fucking care" choice lol.

I literally don't fucking care, it doesn't affect my life. I have enough shit to worry about.

Last edited:
If a game is designed around inclusiveness you immediately notice how unnatural and forced it is. I been gaming gaming since I was 5 some 38 years ago, played as many with many female characters Asians, black white whatever, never felt weird or forced, until of course since all this forced dei shit started.

You can't even watch a tv show without in the first 15 minutes being introduced to the fat black lady, the smart asian dude, the gay white men, the white couple with the dumb soft man being lead by his smart white wife, the black sheriff and some random insert of somebody in a wheelchair. Fuck off.

Vick

Gold Member
There is nothing more thrilling than our daily dose of CORE GAMING AUDIENCE tell everyone how important they think inclusivity in gaming is to them.
Indeed.

Otherwise we end up with this:

In the first 4 pages of a gaming Forum.

Roberts

Whatever the developer wants say, especially if it comes from a heart. I also keep on reminding myself that any big social change comes with huge, maybe even extreme shifts. It will stabilize and in 5-10 years nobody will talk about it. We will have something else to complain about.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The most popular topics of conversation seem to focus on what it is that people don't like. Try and find some things you do like and spend your time on those. You'll have a better time.

On topic, it seems bizarre to me that some people say they don't care about representation, but immediately say the opposite in the next breath without self awareness or irony.

Last edited:
No, don't care if a character looks like me. You either have to be a narcissist or have a room temperature IQ. I don't think people who advocate for this understand the sheer vanity in it.

GHG

I'm Chinese and I don't care about having playable Asian characters in my videogames.

I don't feel special if I get to control Asians. I just want to play a good videogame.

Same for me as a black guy.

I'll say this, if you prioritise the need to be "represented" in the media you consume instead of being entertained then you have some serious self-esteem (and general mental health) issues that aren't going to be solved by playing videogames.

Soodanim

The sad irony is that forced DEI creates situations where people look through that lens and see everyone as separated by their immutable characteristics. It's an movement that is separating people in its quest to to separating people.

Maybe when the pendulum swings back there will be a better balance than before, but we will have to see.

For the topic question itself, representation is meaningless to me. I want stories about characters in good settings, regardless of their ethnicity. The quality is what matters.

I'm from England. Did I care than AC1 was in the middle east? No, that was interesting and different. I liked it. Had nothing to do with relating to it. People are still people with emotions and all the rest of it. DEI is actually quite shallow.

Last edited:

april6e

Indeed.

Otherwise we end up with this:

In the first 4 pages of a gaming Forum.

I was unaware games with white people aren't coming out anymore. I was unaware the overwhelming majority of characters in video games today are minorities. I was unaware that gaming apparently isn't doing the largest numbers and making more money than they have ever made at any point in history.

Last edited:
Street Fighter 2 is the perfect example of how to do inclusion. It has a very diverse cast of characters with a mix of different races, sexes, ages, nationalities and body types.

However, at no point does it lecture people. It's not trying to guilt trip me or attack me for being a white man, it's not pushing some spurious reading of history or contentious view of gender and the female character is constantly being rude to everyone.

If Street Fighter 2 can become one of the biggest games of all time then it proves that us gamers are not all evil bigots. It also proves that we will embrace diversity in games so long as that isn't used as some kind of backhanded way for the developers to attack us. I'm interested in good games, not games that act as political propaganda.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Street Fighter 2 is the perfect example of how to do inclusion. It has a very diverse cast of characters with a mix of different races, sexes, ages, nationalities and body types.

However, at no point does it lecture people. It's not trying to guilt trip me or attack me for being a white man, it's not pushing some spurious reading of history or contentious view of gender and the female character is constantly being rude to everyone.

If Street Fighter 2 can become one of the biggest games of all time then it proves that us gamers are not all evil bigots. It also proves that we will embrace diversity in games so long as that isn't used as some kind of backhanded way for the developers to attack us. I'm interested in good games, not games that act as political propaganda.
Street Fighter 2 has only one woman in it and she is hot. I think the Mortal Kombat franchise was more divers.

Allandor

Really this question is as dumb as the sentence: "9 out of 10 think bullying is ok"
If you're not affected, of course you probably don't have anything against it. If you're affected it isn't that much fun if you are excluded everywhere.

Btw, things like these aren't political, but threads like these makes this stuff political.

Last edited:
Top Bottom