• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s time for Universal Game Trophies

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I think it’s about time that we have a universal trophy system all consoles and PC and all platforms. Developers could easily implement this. What I’m proposing would also help distinguish hard-core players from casuals while also letting everyone enjoy the games at their own level.

So what I’m suggesting is a four tier trophy system that is tied to game difficulty.

Every game will have four different hardness levels yes, even souls games. I get what people say that souls games are supposed to be hard. Well guess what you’re asking me to spend $70 on video games now and maybe maybe I’m not as hard-core as some of you, but I would like to enjoy my investment and game and feel like it was worth it.

That said, I believe there should be a bronze silver gold, and diamond level trophy system. If you wanna call them something else that’s fine. I’m using that as my example.

I’m also stating that you can change your skill level at any time and if you replace sections at a harder level, you can achieve the newer tier of trophy. For example if you were playing Elden Ring and you’re playing on the easy mode and defeat Godrick you would be rewarded with a bronze trophy. However, on your next play through if you played at higher difficulty level the bronze trophy can now be replaced with a higher tier trophy. This allows any level of gamer to feel like they have accomplished something and ads a ton of replay value to games imho.

You could also add a new numerical scoring system for trophy so a bronze trophy would give you five points while a diamond trophy would give you 20 and these values can have ranks assigned to them for a platform based rank for example, a total score of < 5000 across all your games would give you a rank of beginner I’m sure you somebody could come up with a better name for ranks but as an example I’m using beginner. This would also entice users to play more games to get their gamer score up. And while we do have some of these features dabble in across different consuls and different trophy systems I think we need a universal developer/platform/store game trophy system.

If you’re not a trophy, Hunter or don’t really care about game scores or rewards then this wouldn’t bother you. You could also compare and contrast your skill levels to others who have played this game so in essence you would get trophy system you would get a ranking system and you would get to compare and contrast your total scores per game as a quasi leaderboard.

I’m sure there are other options people have but I’d like to hear your opinion on my idea for universal trophy system and what changes or additions you would like to see implemented for skills and trophies?

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Office Grandpa GIF by MOODMAN

Not happening.

Too much uncertainty around the game types, so it has to be left up to developers. The best you can hope for is a service that equalizes the various existing systems and funnels them into a common format and ranking system. Such services already exist, but there aren’t enough interested persons because who has the money, time, and commitment to complete games on each and every platform?

Our nature as players is to want to keep everything as simple as possible and we gravitate toward consolidation.

Says the guy with 326 platinums.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Every game will have four different hardness levels yes, even souls games. I get what people say that souls games are supposed to be hard. Well guess what you’re asking me to spend $70 on video games now and maybe maybe I’m not as hard-core as some of you, but I would like to enjoy my investment and game and feel like it was worth it.
They're not asking you anything. You make the decision. If some of their design decisions are deal breakers for you, don't buy their games and play something else.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm amazed at how much some people care about cheevos. Maybe it's because I grew up with the snes and n64 that I don't care about them?

To me they just look like extra padding, padding which isn't even integrated into the game so who gives a shit? Not me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No. I’d rather devs/platforms have the freedom to develop whatever trophy/achievement system they want, instead of shoehorning every game into some totally unnecessary standard format.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I'm amazed at how much some people care about cheevos. Maybe it's because I grew up with the snes and n64 that I don't care about them?

To me they just look like extra padding, padding which isn't even integrated into the game so who gives a shit? Not me.
I grew up in the same generation as you it sounds like and why we didn’t have trophies. I would’ve really enjoyed them on some of the older games. Your second point where it’s extra padding and isn’t even integrated into the game is what I’m trying to change. These trophies would be integrated directly into the game.

Topher

Gold Member
I like the idea, but I don't think there is incentive for the platform owners to get onboard and actually talk about it.

It's just an additional activity that exists alongside the game that is completely optional. Folks who don't like them should be able to disable them, but personally I enjoy a good trophy hunting game. Don't expect everyone to like them though.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

No. Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

Steam is the closest you gonna get to it.

Probably websites that aggregate trophy info already

Fbh

Yeah no thx.
I don't mind trophies as this optional thing. But they can fuck off if they start mandating design choices on every game.

Also platform holders have zero incentive to do this. Having your trophies/achievements locked to a specific platform is just another way to keep customers tied to it

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im always offended when people use the term Trophy instead of Achivement.
png-transparent-achievement-unlocked-logo-achievement-xbox-360-video-game-world-of-warcraft-overwatch-world-of-warcraft.png

OP also reminded me that the Xbox 360 had gamerzones?
Did we ever find out what that shit did, cuz as far as i could tell, it actually didnt matter and you still met people from every gamerzone regardless of what you chose?
A7wdnXuCQAACgQT.jpg:large

And yes I purposely chose an image of the NXE instead of Blades.......seeing Blades makes me sad because I remember how good the X360 actually was.

Švejk

Banned
I think it should be easier to have a site where you input all your platform user IDs and it compiles a grand total number, as long as there's so many people that join.. Like a MetaTrophy... or something.
If not already existing.

Zannegan

Once upon a time, completing challenges unlocked "cheats" or gear that could be used in-game. Now they sell you those things via microtransactions or, even better, lottery and give you a little digital banner or trophy instead.

Trophies are just one more little dopamine bait and switch that let them cut out chunks of what mame games fun to sell back to us.

StueyDuck

I think it’s about time that we have a universal trophy system all consoles and PC and all platforms. Developers could easily implement this. What I’m proposing would also help distinguish hard-core players from casuals while also letting everyone enjoy the games at their own level.

So what I’m suggesting is a four tier trophy system that is tied to game difficulty.

That said, I believe there should be a bronze silver gold, and diamond level trophy system. If you wanna call them something else that’s fine. I’m using that as my example.

I’m also stating that you can change your skill level at any time and if you replace sections at a harder level, you can achieve the newer tier of trophy. For example if you were playing Elden Ring and you’re playing on the easy mode and defeat Godrick you would be rewarded with a bronze trophy. However, on your next play through if you played at higher difficulty level the bronze trophy can now be replaced with a higher tier trophy. This allows any level of gamer to feel like they have accomplished something and ads a ton of replay value to games imho.

You could also add a new numerical scoring system for trophy so a bronze trophy would give you five points while a diamond trophy would give you 20 and these values can have ranks assigned to them for a platform based rank for example, a total score of < 5000 across all your games would give you a rank of beginner I’m sure you somebody could come up with a better name for ranks but as an example I’m using beginner. This would also entice users to play more games to get their gamer score up. And while we do have some of these features dabble in across different consuls and different trophy systems I think we need a universal developer/platform/store game trophy system.

If you’re not a trophy, Hunter or don’t really care about game scores or rewards then this wouldn’t bother you. You could also compare and contrast your skill levels to others who have played this game so in essence you would get trophy system you would get a ranking system and you would get to compare and contrast your total scores per game as a quasi leaderboard.

I’m sure there are other options people have but I’d like to hear your opinion on my idea for universal trophy system and what changes or additions you would like to see implemented for skills and trophies?
back in the n64/ps1/Dreamcast(VMUs for the win) and ps2/gamecube/Xbox days... games use to just have "trophies/Achievements" built into them and the game itself tracked the stats for you. Even better, back then, achieving such things usually got you awesome unlocks, like unlimited ammo or some paintball mode or alternate skins etc.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I don't get it. If I don't like doing a thing then I'm just not going to that thing. But why would I want to take that thing away from others if they enjoy it?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

I don't either. Some people say it takes away the fun for others. So? Not for others.

Honestly I probably finish more games due to achievements and trophies now. There used to be a big topic that most people wouldn't even finish games, they'd get 4/5 done and quit (old PC Gamer articles wrote this too). It's just simply a fun addition, much like leaderboards. I personally wish they were more difficult to get.

Holammer

I don't mind achievements/trophies or the meta gameplay aspect of working/hunting for them, but c'mon.
If you put too much emphasis on them, players will go into the game to check the boxes instead of enjoying it This is already a problem, don't exacerbate it.

Top Bottom