• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s time for Universal Game Trophies

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Crazy how much anger / hate this topic has brought out amongst the gaming community here. If you hate / dislike trophies you can just turn them off and ignore the thread right? Why do people have to go out of there way to call people names because they like something different than you? This was a thread for those who enjoy trophies and would like a Universal system.

It nots like were asking developers to add 20 hours of code to a game for a popup. If the topic doesn't move you thats fine just let those who care discuss without the hate.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Crazy how much anger / hate this topic has brought out amongst the gaming community here. If you hate / dislike trophies you can just turn them off and ignore the thread right? Why do people have to go out of there way to call people names because they like something different than you? This was a thread for those who enjoy trophies and would like a Universal system.

It nots like were asking developers to add 20 hours of code to a game for a popup. If the topic doesn't move you thats fine just let those who care discuss without the hate.

No, you are asking developers to do much more. You are demanding certain design elements from all games (difficulty levels) as well as demanding how the trophies are designed. And you are surprised that people who don't like trophies would disagree when you say all games should be designed around the standardized trophy system?

Last edited:
Turning off notifications for them isn't enough because they still track and unlock. We need a complete "opt out" option to where those that want them still have access, but those that don't can not participate with them vs just have them hidden from the player.

When I turn on my PS5 or Series X I don't want to see that my friend or family member has earned this or that cheevo, and I don't want to see the list of where I am in a list of ranking for cheevos against my friends list.

Most of all I don't want to see threads like: "aww yeah! platinum get!" every time some doofus gets a new plat ( I know some of you know which website I'm talking about).

Now, find a way to make those things happen and you guys that enjoy them can keep 'em, but just turning off notifications is not enough, which is one reason I play on Switch when I can.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Turning off notifications for them isn't enough because they still track and unlock. We need a complete "opt out" option to where those that want them still have access, but those that don't can not participate with them vs just have them hidden from the player.

When I turn on my PS5 or Series X I don't want to see that my friend or family member has earned this or that cheevo, and I don't want to see the list of where I am in a list of ranking for cheevos against my friends list.

Most of all I don't want to see threads like: "aww yeah! platinum get!" every time some doofus gets a new plat ( I know some of you know which website I'm talking about).

Now, find a way to make those things happen and you guys that enjoy them can keep 'em, but just turning off notifications is not enough, which is one reason I play on Switch when I can.
Opinions are fine and welcome, but drive by shit posting and insults because of trophies is pretty weird.

Zannegan

How does that apply to games that do both and are without said blight?

Achievements/Trophies are icing on the cake, nobody told you you had to eat shit.
Point me that way, and I'll play them. Games like that pretty few and far between these days though.

Point is, what we have is a shadow of what came before, so universal achievements isn't exactly a top feature, even for trophy hunters.

Opinions are fine and welcome, but drive by shit posting and insults because of trophies is pretty weird.
True, and it goes both ways. I used to see threads back in gen 7 on GameSpot claiming that "if you don't have at least 10000 cheevo points, you're not a real gahmur!" and the like.

I also had a friend who was obsessed with Persona, and after P5 came out I got the plat and it actually made him mad enough to stop talking to me after that. It made him upset that I got it and he couldn't. After that I realized how stupid and petty competing with friends and family over those things were, and lost my interest in obtaining them.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
No, you are asking developers to do much more. You are demanding certain design elements from all games (difficulty levels) as well as demanding how the trophies are designed. And you are surprised that people who don't like trophies would disagree when you say all games should be designed around the standardized trophy system?
IM not demanding anything, just was thinking about how we could include these things for games, and gamers of all ages and skill levels so that gaming as a whole can continue to grow. If we decide the only way to play a game is on UBER HARD FU Pleebs level you will drive people away from gaming. Im glad your TOP G on a game. I know it makes you feel like you're special and have some power over other casuals, but the topic is about gaming as a whole, and not for specific users. It's just a discussion. Also this post isn't directed at diffusionx diffusionx just a statement to some of the better gamers.

Topher

Gold Member

lol......I thought you were being serious with all that for a second.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

lol......I thought you were being serious with all that for a second.

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal
Busted... you may have noticed I say the same thing in all these kinds of threads. Truth is I don't really care one way or the other. Sometimes I'll try to get them, other times I don't care. Of course some of my complaints are legit, and it's true that I believe there should be an "opt out" feature for those of us that would rather not partake in them.

King Dazzar

I'll go against the masses on here and say I like the idea. Any scoring system is an arbitrary waste of time measure. But that doesnt mean you cant enjoy them. Its not something I get fanatical over. I've only got handful of Platinums on the PS5. Regardless though, I do enjoy having a trophy or achievement pop. And for games I love, it sometimes gives me a reason to revisit.

It would be great to have trophies and achievements go cross platform. But I don't see it happening unfortunately. Nice dream though.

Topher

Gold Member
Busted... you may have noticed I say the same thing in all these kinds of threads. Truth is I don't really care one way or the other. Sometimes I'll try to get them, other times I don't care. Of course some of my complaints are legit, and it's true that I believe there should be an "opt out" feature for those of us that would rather not partake in them.

Yep. An opt-out option should be available for those who don't want it. I can see it as an accessibility feature particularly those who truly struggle with OCD issues, but also for those who find them annoying.

I'll go against the masses on here and say I like the idea. Any scoring system is an arbitrary waste of time measure. But that doesnt mean you cant enjoy them. Its not something I get fanatical over. I've only got handful of Platinums on the PS5. Regardless though, I do enjoy having a trophy or achievement pop. And for games I love, it sometimes gives me a reason to revisit.

It would be great to have trophies and achievements go cross platform. But I don't see it happening unfortunately. Nice dream though.
I hate that trophies now are almost silent when they unlock. They make some slight "ding" that's barely audible. I prefer the old sound for unlocking trophies.

King Dazzar

I hate that trophies now are almost silent when they unlock. They make some slight "ding" that's barely audible. I prefer the old sound for unlocking trophies.
Yeah I think Xbox sounds better and gives a bit of achievement detail too when it pops. But I like the look and structure of the Trophies system on PlayStation.

xrnzaaas

Games are different, many of them don't have difficulty levels or there are additional modifiers related to difficulty. I wouldn't try to introduce strict rules related to their content or gameplay.

I would start with simple things, like enforcing a platinum trophy for every new title. It's crazy we're still getting some cool games without platinums (like the recent PS version of Stasis Bone Totem) while cheap trash games intended to prey on trophy whores always have them. Trophy sets should also get rid of regions, it's not fair to launch the same game after a region change.

A rule about not including multiplayer trophies in a game with (any) singleplayer content would also be great. For some games they become unobtainable as soon as 1-2 months after release - even if the severs are still up people may not be playing mp anymore. Or at least there should be an option to remove them by Sony (from the platinum requirements) when the servers are closed.

Last edited:

Arcane0ne

This is called "play to earn" and is a dystopian vision of gaming's future.
I'm just looking for a utility to the achievements that are achieved, since now it's useless. I don't want anything else to change, but a store where you can exchange those useless points would encourage you to get more achievements and complete the games more.

SHA

Steam achievements on a whole different level like rewarding you for not touching the game after 5 years, Gabe must be smoking weed.

Yeah I think Xbox sounds better and gives a bit of achievement detail too when it pops. But I like the look and structure of the Trophies system on PlayStation.
Only problem with Xbox is they use that same sound for other notifications. It's odd to hear that distinct pop that shows a notification that so-and-so game is now on sale. lol

Playstation Trophies will become the universal ones anyways once PS ecosystem extends to PC's

No one has ever given a shit about Steam Achievements because it's trivial to cheat and instantly get them all with easily downloaded tools, there is no "legitimacy" to Steam Achievements

King Dazzar

Only problem with Xbox is they use that same sound for other notifications. It's odd to hear that distinct pop that shows a notification that so-and-so game is now on sale. lol
Weird. It always sounded unique to me. I dont have an XSX anymore, but are you sure this was used for normal notifications? Maybe most of mine were rare...

Weird. It always sounded unique to me. I dont have an XSX anymore, but are you sure this was used for normal notifications? Maybe most of mine were rare...

I think the vid you showed was for those rare achievements, the ones where less than 10% of players have unlocked them. The standard sound is similar, but without the added flair. Things like alerts for when your game is finished downloading etc. seem to have the same standard sound as standard achievements.

At least that's how it sounds to me, but I could be wrong...

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Steam achievements on a whole different level like rewarding you for not touching the game after 5 years, Gabe must be smoking weed.
Should see my cs awards I been a lifetime player according to trophies yet I’ve played like 12 hours total

PaintTinJr

If trophies are keeping you from playing games then that is something you need to work on with a therapist. I certainly cannot help with you with that and others should not be deprived of the entertainment trophies bring due to issues like these for an extreme minority.
That's quite an interesting take that I didn't see coming.. so a trophy system design by psychologists to manipulate gamers, to spend more - regardless of if it is an addiction or actual enjoyment from play - requires those least manipulated to go seek therapy to get manipulated too?

Okay, that's one option I guess, although I'd give up my past-time of gaming - I've had for life - in a heartbeat if the alternative is to give up my autonomy to have me see hollow games needing generic system level trophies ... as entertainment.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That's quite an interesting take that I didn't see coming.. so a trophy system design by psychologists to manipulated gamers, to spend more - regardless of if it is an addiction or actual enjoyment from play - requires those least manipulated to go seek therapy to get manipulate too?

Okay, that's one option I guess, although I'd give up my past-time of gaming - I've had for life - in a heartbeat if the alternative is to give up my autonomy to have me see hollow games needing generic system level trophies ... as entertainment.

Whatever makes you feel better my man.

You Can Do It GIF by bubly

Fahdis

True, and it goes both ways. I used to see threads back in gen 7 on GameSpot claiming that "if you don't have at least 10000 cheevo points, you're not a real gahmur!" and the like.

I also had a friend who was obsessed with Persona, and after P5 came out I got the plat and it actually made him mad enough to stop talking to me after that. It made him upset that I got it and he couldn't. After that I realized how stupid and petty competing with friends and family over those things were, and lost my interest in obtaining them.

*bro gets Platinum for game, friend punishes by ghosting and bro becomes sad* you can't make this shit up. Now imagine if you actually had a real life achievement... that fuck isn't your friend.

For the "opt out" crowd... lmao. You can literally turn off the notification and don't have to go into the trophies tab. You guys are seriously weenies. Git gud or stop whining. This is like complaining about difficulty levels. Ill play on the easiest difficulty or the hardest. Whats it to you? Someone likes to speed run. Whats anyone's problem? Game enables cheats? Cool have a good time. No Trophy crowd needs to look deep within their own issues.

Trophies are dope but I wish they were more integrated into the entire system. Something simple like choosing 5 of your favorite trophies and displaying them on your tag/card next to your name would go a long way for me.

Top Bottom