• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Peff

Pureauthor said:
They could get him for about a combined total of a minute's dialogue in 358/2 Days but they couldn't get him for the next mainline entry where he was a really long monologue. Nice one, SE.

I have the theory that after those lines he realized what he was recording for and left, as he wasn't in Re:Chain of Memories either despite being dubbed at the same time :lol

Seda

Also, you do NOT want to fight the first secret boss in your final story save file. Because you can only fight the 2nd secret boss
at the land of departure which doesn't exist in Final Story
. You want to train up your character clear data (Terra, Aqua, or Ven) and fight the first secret boss in their clear data.

In other words, if you spend many hours training up
Aqua
in final story and defeat the first secret boss, you cannot fight the second,
because Land of Departure doesn't exist
. Your many hours training go to waste.

In short: You can't fight the 2nd secret boss in the Final episode.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks for the tip, Seda.

Peff said:
I have the theory that after those lines he realized what he was recording for and left, as he wasn't in Re:Chain of Memories either despite being dubbed at the same time :lol
Or maybe he wants more $$ like Utada. :lol

Fuu said:
+ so many Christopher Lee lines, hell yeah.
Christopher Lee is not the one voicing Ansem there, it's Corey Burton. He voices Yen Sid and Captain Hook too.

EDIT: Nevermind. Beaten. Stupid slow internet. D:

Fuu

^ lol I think I got it, guys.

Doing some melding with Terra to complete the Command Collection, I just remembered he doesn't have a D-Link with
Mickey so no double xp
, boo. :(

So of the older Kingdom Hearts games, which ones are worth playing? At the moment I'm only looking at acquiring the first two mainline entries. I've been hearing bad things about 358/2 Days, people saying it's the worst game in the series. What about the PS2 iteration of Chain of Memories? Should I just stick to KH1 and 2?

Phenomic

jaundicejuice said:
So of the older Kingdom Hearts games, which ones are worth playing? At the moment I'm only looking at acquiring the first two mainline entries. I've been hearing bad things about 358/2 Days, people saying it's the worst game in the series. What about the PS2 iteration of Chain of Memories? Should I just stick to KH1 and 2?

I would say stick to the main series personally. Ps2 Chain of Memories feels just like KH1 to me only I didn't like the Card based Battle system. I haven't played 358/2 Days but everyone else seems to think Birth By Sleep is better by miles.

jaundicejuice said:

If you haven't played it yet; make sure you play Birth By Sleep last, as it makes every other game in the series feel disappointing in comparison.

Phenomic said:
I would say stick to the main series personally. Ps2 Chain of Memories feels just like KH1 to me only I didn't like the Card based Battle system. I haven't played 358/2 Days but everyone else seems to think Birth By Sleep is better by miles.

Okay, I'll scratch Chain of Memories off of the list as well. The two main line games will be enough anyways.

Fimbulvetr said:
If you haven't played it yet; make sure you play Birth By Sleep last, as it makes every other game in the series feel disappointing in comparison.

Ha ha, damn, I'm playing Birth By Sleep right now. It's what spurred the question. I managed to pick up Kingdom Hearts II but it looks like I'll have to order the first game online. Guess I should hold off on playing more of Birth By Sleep then, problem is I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

DarkKyo

jaundicejuice said:
Ha ha, damn, I'm playing Birth By Sleep right now. It's what spurred the question. I managed to pick up Kingdom Hearts II but it looks like I'll have to order the first game online.
KH2 is actually pretty cool and has a lot of great moments where it shines... that said, I'm liking BBS more I think.

ExtraKr1spy said:
358/2 Days has a decent story but the worlds are the same as KH1. I liked the panel system they used for leveling up though.

I must have missed Twilight Town and Beast's Castle when they showed up in KH1. The lack of totally new worlds in 358/2 Days was a bummer, but the panel system and the challenges made it completely worth playing.

Fuu

Pacing issues aside I was surprised with how well the gameplay worked on the DS given the limitations. The game gets shat on a lot but it's worth a try. Worst KH but still an average game, it worked fine as a good portable diversion at the time.

On BbS, I thought that doing the time attacks on the races and winning on every board at the Arena would take a while but it goes quick because you can just go 1x1. For the Command Boards my opponent is stunned during almost the entire match. :lol

Order placed for the original Kingdom Hearts, guess I'll put my play through of Birth By Sleep on hold for now. As for Days, if I really enjoy I, II and BbS, I might check it out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm playing KH1 and Days side-by-side, and I'm not exactly having a horrible time of it.
Days surprisingly controls and plays better than 1, which is really quite clunky and marred by terrible jumping/platforms and one of the worst cameras ever. Days might get redundant at times, but it's not nearly as chunky. And considering the DS hardware, Days is kind of impressive in some respects. Days' panel leveling system is also quite awesome.

That said, I popped BbS in for a few minutes, and even with such a shallow stab at the game, I can tell that it controls and plays best. Feels GREAT.

Done. Final boss was an even bigger bitch than
when you face him as Terra.

Anyway, let me see if I have this right.
Ventus' heart or soul or whatever stowed away in Sora while his body is left to rot. 10 years later, he would be awakened as Roxas with no memory after Sora becomes a heartless.
Am I missing something? If not, that just makes
Ven/Roxas' fate even more depressing.

Anyway, off to see the secret ending on youtube or something.

cosmicblizzard said:
Done. Final boss was an even bigger bitch than
when you face him as Terra.

Anyway, let me see if I have this right.
Ventus' heart or soul or whatever stowed away in Sora while his body is left to rot. 10 years later, he would be awakened as Roxas with no memory after Sora becomes a heartless.
Am I missing something? If not, that just makes
Ven/Roxas' fate even more depressing.

Ven and Roxas aren't the same person.

Roxas was still Sora's nobody, first and foremost. Roxas did take on Ven's apparence and was able to have emotion's because of Ven's heart.

Fimbulvetr said:
Ven and Roxas aren't the same person.

Roxas was still Sora's nobody, first and foremost. Roxas did take on Ven's apparence and was able to have emotion's because of Ven's heart.

I see. Well the next thing I was gonna ask was
is Ven still inside Sora after the events of KH2, but I just watched the secret ending and it looks like he got out somehow. Did Sora do something in KH1 to cause that to happen or was that just someone's imagination? If it's the former, how the hell did Ven's body survive for 10 years (yeah, I know how bodies work in this universe, but still...)?

cosmicblizzard said:
I see. Well the next thing I was gonna ask was
is Ven still inside Sora after the events of KH2, but I just watched the secret ending and it looks like he got out somehow. Did Sora do something in KH1 to cause that to happen or was that just someone's imagination? If it's the former, how the hell did Ven's body survive for 10 years (yeah, I know how bodies work in this universe, but still...)?

Since he was with Roxas he should be back with Sora now that they fused back together. They'll probably need Aqua's help to fix him anyway.

Fimbulvetr said:
Since he was with Roxas he should be back with Sora now that they fused back together. They'll probably need Aqua's help to fix him anyway.

So I'm guessing that could happen in KH3D maybe.
Well, it's nice that the whole trio didn't die like I was expecting.

xero273

Fimbulvetr said:

now I'm confused.
are you saying ventus was with roxas and fused back with sora?

Darkky

Fimbulvetr said:

But the interesting part is
does Sora know that Ven is inside of him?
How does this play out for KH3D?

I am through for Arena now. Managed to reach Level 17 but I am really fed up with Command Board - the CPU characters just keep cheating lol

xero273 said:
now I'm confused.
are you saying ventus was with roxas and fused back with sora?

Okay, let's start from the beginning.

Before BBS:When Ven had his darkness removed his heart became unstable and almost disappeared. Sora was born just as this was happening and filled the missing gap of Ven's heart with part of his. As a result Ven was able to live without darkness.

BBS: When Ven defeated Vanitas he was able to reclaim his lost darkness but the shock of destroying the X-Blade almost made his heart disappear. Luckily, thanks to his connection with Sora, Ven's heart was able to use Sora's body as a resting place until it could recover and return to its original body.

KH1: When Sora sacrificed himself to the darkness to save Kairi, he created Roxas. Ven's heart went with Roxas; and though Roxas is Sora's Nobody, having Ven's heart inside him gave him Ven's appearance and the ability to feel emotions despite being a Nobody.

KH2: Roxas fuses with Sora, as a result Ven's heart also returned to him. Presumably until they kind find Aqua and have her lead them to Ven's body.

Darkky said:
But the interesting part is
does Sora know that Ven is inside of him?
How does this play out for KH3D?

I am through for Arena now. Managed to reach Level 17 but I am really fed up with Command Board - the CPU characters just keep cheating lol

Sora knew, but he was a little kid so he probably didn't get what was going on and probably forgot about it too.

Darkky

Fimbulvetr said:

Before BBS:When Ven had his darkness removed his heart became unstable and almost disappeared. Sora was born just as this was happening and filled the missing gap of Ven's heart with part of his. As a result Ven was able to live without darkness.

Was this in BBS? If it is I must have missed it.

Fimbulvetr said:
KH1:
When Sora sacrificed himself to the darkness to save Kairi, he created Roxas. Ven's heart went with Roxas; and though Roxas is Sora's Nobody, having Ven's heart inside him gave him Ven's appearance and the ability to feel emotions despite being a Nobody.

Was it explained why
Ven's heart went to Roxas
? I think I missed this in 358/2 as well.

Darkky said:
Was this in BBS? If it is I must have missed it.
It's at the very beginning. Like when you start a new file and not skip the tutorial. If you have Theatre Mode unlocked, try looking at the cutscenes in "The Outside World" section of each character.

Was it explained why
Ven's heart went to Roxas
? I think I missed this in 358/2 as well.
Because
Ventus' heart was just resting in Sora's body. So when Sora used the Keyblade on himself to free Kairi's heart, Ventus' heart left with Sora's body.

Just finished Ven's story. Kinda wishing I played Ven first even though I think I enjoyed Terrra's a little bit more. I just think there is more "story" in Ven's and I think some of that was spoiled in Terra's.

Still great though :D

Jigsaw

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:

BBS: When Ven defeated Vanitas he was able to reclaim his lost darkness but the shock of destroying the X-Blade almost made his heart disappear. Luckily, thanks to his connection with Sora, Ven's heart was able to use Sora's body as a resting place until it could recover and return to its original body.

KH1: When Sora sacrificed himself to the darkness to save Kairi, he created Roxas. Ven's heart went with Roxas; and though Roxas is Sora's Nobody, having Ven's heart inside him gave him Ven's appearance and the ability to feel emotions despite being a Nobody.

KH2: Roxas fuses with Sora, as a result Ven's heart also returned to him. Presumably until they kind find Aqua and have her lead them to Ven's body.

i wish the games would explain it this simple with only 9 lines of text :D

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
How the hell do I beat the second boss in the mirage arena? I am already at level 22 but he just keeps beating my ass:lol

Kingsora

Srry for double post,

I am at Radiant Garden with Terra but how do I beat
Braig
, I can barely hit him, I am at level 22

Kingsora

CryptiK said:
block on impact.
Thx it helped, he only had 1/5th of life bar left and then, then he killed me again :lol

I can hit him now at least :D

Fuu

For the Arena part of the report I'm only missing the final challenge + half of the medal achievements. I got Captain Dark/Justice to appear 4 times while I was doing the command boards there but
apparently you can only get Pete's D-link on the start menu's boards
, uugh.

Jigsaw said:
i wish the games would explain it this simple with only 9 lines of text :D
Looking back and making sense of it is part of the fun though. :p

Kingsora

I am at the colliseum now with Terra but why does
Zack kill me now with one single blow, every time!!
?

Kingsora said:
I am at the colliseum now with Terra but why does
Zack kill me now with one single blow, every time!!
?

Equip your first Shotlock - the Shadow Element one.

As soon as the battle starts, Lock On.

Release when he does. You're invincible for the duration of the animation.

After seeing the secret ending; I'm pissed that I just realized the pun in the intro to KH2, and that
Kairi is content with staying behind again. You have a keyblade now; use it.

Fuu

Dude, I know it's nothing major but spoiler tags, there are even some that are playing through all the games right now. I for one was surprised by
the game having a scene that happens after KH2 in the secret video
and I liked not knowing it would be there.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Hey guys help me with the
second Xeonhort fight
, how the hell do I defeat this guy?

Also after defeating Terra's story do I then proceed with the other two's stories? Should I use a new save file or the same save file for the other two? Also when do I unlock the final chapter, is it after I complete all three stories?

Also after finishing the game is it OK if I start to play KH 1 or should I try another game first?

Thanks.

Jigsaw

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Hey guys help me with the
second Xeonhort fight
, how the hell do I defeat this guy?

dodge heal dodge heal shotlock

rinse and repeat

Also after defeating Terra's story do I then proceed with the other two's stories? Should I use a new save file or the same save file for the other two? Also when do I unlock the final chapter, is it after I complete all three stories?

yes,the game even recommends to keep the clear game data for every character,to open the final chapter you need to complete all 3 characters AND collect all of xehanorts reports...keep in mind that 1 report can only be found in the mirage arena as terra,though if you complete the game with terra,you can load the clear data,get the report and save,you dont need to do terras boss fights again

Also after finishing the game is it OK if I start to play KH 1 or should I try another game first?

Thanks.

yes,go with kh1 (even though it's unplayble by todays standard's),then recom,reverse rebirth,kh2,358 days

Jerk

Banned
Mr_Brit said:

Thanks.

I personally suggest you play COM (or RE: COM if you must) and be satisfied that you have played all the good KH games released thus far.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jigsaw said:
yes,the game even recommends to keep the clear game data for every character,to open the final chapter you need to complete all 3 characters AND collect all of xehanorts reports...keep in mind that 1 report can only be found in the mirage arena as terra,though if you complete the game with terra,you can load the clear data,get the report and save,you dont need to do terras boss fights again
How hard are these reports to collect and is the final chapter a proper sized experience or is it literally just a throwaway 2 minute cutscene epilogue that I can watch on youtube instead?

Jerk 2.0 said:
I personally suggest you play COM (or RE: COM if you must) and be satisfied that you have played all the good KH games released thus far.
Played the game on GBA and thought it was terrible, nearly put me off the whole series.

Mr_Brit said:
How hard are these reports to collect and is the final chapter a proper sized experience or is it literally just a throwaway 2 minute cutscene epilogue that I can watch on youtube instead?

The final chapter
is playable but pretty short. It's like the true final boss and that's it.

And the reports are not hard to collect at all. By the time I finished all 3 characters, I only had 2 left which took me 10 minutes to get.

Jigsaw

Banned
Mr_Brit said:

they are very easy,just go for 100% treasures in every world and you can't miss them,expect the one in the arena

Played the game on GBA and thought it was terrible, nearly put me off the whole series.

it's just as terrible on ps2,but the cutscenes are awesome and reverse rebirth is infinitely better

Top Bottom