• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Is playing in 32 bit worth it or does it cause too much slowdown?

Kingsora

Princess Skittles said:
If you don't mind ~three hour sessions, change to 32-Bit color and 333 MHz CPU, the game runs (and looks) like silk.
Are there screens or something else, where you can see the difference? I am just curious ^^

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Kingsora said:
Is playing in 32 bit worth it or does it cause too much slowdown?

I dunno about the color but the 333 mhz makes a huge difference. I remember the first time I pressed Start to get into the menu I let out a big WTF on how long it took for the freaking menu to load up! After switching it to the faster mode... that was better.

Darkky

Finally finished Terra on Normal.
Eraqus was actually a breeze for me, but Xehanort-Terra was too much to handle.
I didn't have a single Sonic/Dark Blade/Ars Solum with me then so I had to repeat it 5-6 times before getting the boss down. ):

On Aqua now, and she's oh-so-slow as a magic user. Her attacks are rather irritating at best.

And oh, how important is finishing the Arena? I have not actually put much time in it yet.

Darkky said:
Finally finished Terra on Normal.
Eraqus was actually a breeze for me, but Xehanort-Terra was too much to handle.
I didn't have a single Sonic/Dark Blade/Ars Solum with me then so I had to repeat it 5-6 times before getting the boss down. ):

On Aqua now, and she's oh-so-slow as a magic user. Her attacks are rather irritating at best.

And oh, how important is finishing the Arena? I have not actually put much time in it yet.

One of Xehanort's reports is hidden in the arena. (You have to defeat a certain boss.)

Kingsora

Dear god, I am already four hours in the game and I only just
met maleficent for second first time

Stupid command board ruining my time:lol

Oni Jazar

Adam Prime said:
I dunno about the color but the 333 mhz makes a huge difference. I remember the first time I pressed Start to get into the menu I let out a big WTF on how long it took for the freaking menu to load up! After switching it to the faster mode... that was better.

I think that happens in 333mhz too. It's just the first time takes the longest.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kingsora said:
Are there screens or something else, where you can see the difference? I am just curious ^^
Some screens Stump posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23203216&postcount=408

But really, just stand near a save point and change it from 16 to 32 and you'll see the magic it does on the dithering.

Pureauthor said:
What exactly is there to 'clarify'? KH's plot isn't overcomplicated, it's just very, very stupid.
lol. It is pretty simple to understand when it comes down to it, it's just a bunch of magical reasons (darkness/light/hearts/memories) and clones.

Finally finished Terra's story. The final boss beat me up a lot on proud mode. Went back and lvl a bit and finished him off. once more and second chance really helped.

Seda

I have Aqua at level 51, I have Ultima Weapon (the last Mirage Arena challenge is pretty fun), I have all passive abilities. Time to try and take on the 2 extra bosses...

after work...

Aru

Expert mode is less hard than I expected it to be. The first world was pretty hard because I didn't have much commands, but now it's no big deal.

I like the game but I'm a bit disappointed in the OST for now. The remixes are worse than the original tunes. The soundtrack is still good, but I expected better from Shimomura. Maybe it'll get better later.

I played around 5 hours with Terra for now.

Fuu

Kingsora said:
I am probably stupid but what is dithering..?
(Sorry for my lazyness but wiki does it better than me.)

"Dithering is a technique used in computer graphics to create the illusion of color depth in images with a limited color palette (color quantization). In a dithered image, colors not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette."

Here's a good example:

1zeytjq.png

"An illustration of dithering. Red and blue are the only colors used, but as the pixels become smaller, the patch appears violet."

Edit: zoom of Stump's screens.

ao8h9w.png
28wpav9.png

Kingsora

Fuu said:
(Sorry for my lazyness but wiki does it better than me.)

"Dithering is a technique used in computer graphics to create the illusion of color depth in images with a limited color palette (color quantization). In a dithered image, colors not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette."

Here's a good example:

1zeytjq.png

"An illustration of dithering. Red and blue are the only colors used, but as the pixels become smaller, the patch appears violet."

Edit:

ao8h9w.png
28wpav9.png
Aha thx I get it now, it is indeed very noticeable at the save point ^^ (still don't really see the difference in the screens though, :p)

Kingsora

Btw apparently the Birth by Sleep didn't sold bad on it's first 2 days..

UK:
1  MAFIA II - 2K CZECH - 2K GAMESTAKE
2  TOM CLANCY'S H.A.W.X. - UBISOFT
3  KANE & LYNCH 2: DOG DAYS - IO INTERACTIVE - EIDOS SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
4  TOY STORY 3 - N-SPACEDISNEY INTERACTIVE - STUDIOS DISNEY INTERACTIVE
5  TETRIS PARTY DELUXE - HUDS ON HUDSON - NINTENDO
6  SPIDER-MAN: SHATTERED DIMENSIONS - ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
7  KINGDOM HEARTS: BIRTH BY SLEEP - SQUARE ENIXQ EUROPE
8  R.U.S.E. - UBISOFT
9  PRINCE OF PERSIA: THE FORGOTTEN SANDS - UBISOFT
10  RED DEAD REDEMPTION - ROCKSTAR

The Netherlands:
1 HALO REACH(XBOX 360)
2 MAFIA 2(PS3)
3 MAFIA 2(XBOX 360)
4 KINGDOM HEARTS/BIRTH BY SLEEP(PSP)
5 STARCRAFT 2/WINGS OF LIBERTY(PC)
6 SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2(Wii)
7 CALL OF DUTY/MODERN WARFARE 2(PS3)
8 SUPER MARIO BROS(Wii)
9 WII FIT PLUS(Wii)
10 TOM CLANCY H.A.W.X. 2(PS3)

(I have no idea where you can find charts from other European countries..)

Near the end of Ventus' story in
Neverland
. I was distracted so I only caught a glimpse, but did it look like
Peter Pan was raping Smee when Hook was looking
to anyone else?

Finished Terra's story last night and whomever mentioned that certain tactic to beat his end boss was right.

Playing as Ven seems fun but does he have a delivery boy sign on him I'm unaware of?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I just started the game and I'm already dying on Proud Mode. I'm thinking of restarting on Normal... I just want this to be a less stressful game that I can play through. Anyone else recommend Normal?

Volcynika

Adam Prime said:
Man I just started the game and I'm already dying on Proud Mode. I'm thinking of restarting on Normal... I just want this to be a less stressful game that I can play through. Anyone else recommend Normal?

If you want the least hassle to unlock the secret video, you'll want to do at least Proud.

Okay, Ven's last boss was A LOT easier than Terra's.

Anyway,
I kind of figured that's what Vanitas looked like based on the voice actor. Still cool though.

Now onto Aqua.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think I made the big mistake of purchasing this game the same day as Phantasy Star Portable 2. I'm really interested in the Kingdom Hearts narrative... but the combat just isn't as interesting and fun as PSP2. The production quality and graphics are way better in Kingdom Hearts, but only half an hour into the game I feel reminded of the past KH games and just tapping X, X, X for hours, with an occasional jump.

Does the combat ever really "evolve" into more with this game? I feel like I owe it to myself to keep playing through at least one character's story before I write it off, but yeah, definitely not hooking me like PSP:2 already is. Which is a bummer because I've really looked forward to this game for a while.

... I wish I didn't purchase two 3rd person Action RPGs right at the same time. I knew that i would end up liking/playing one more than the other. :(

Phenomic

Okay so I'm getting totally wrecked again as Aqua on Proud.
Vantias fight in Neverland he just like one shots me literally on Proud, he does about the same stuff but was way easier when I fought him for the first time on Aqua
Anyone have good tips for how to fight him in an effective way?

Alright, I'm lost in Aqua's campaign.

On Stitch's level, I was told to clear out the Unversed from the ship. So I go through the corridor, the transport room, and the ship exterior, killing everything everywhere and getting the Air Dash. Then it puts me back in the transport room and I kill my way back to the command center, where I'm told the Prison Block is all that's left. I can't figure out where this place is. Someone help?

Phenomic

ShockingAlberto said:
Alright, I'm lost in Aqua's campaign.

On Stitch's level, I was told to clear out the Unversed from the ship. So I go through the corridor, the transport room, and the ship exterior, killing everything everywhere and getting the Air Dash. Then it puts me back in the transport room and I kill my way back to the command center, where I'm told the Prison Block is all that's left. I can't figure out where this place is. Someone help?

Go to the Transporter area and you can actually click the thing in the center and it will take you to the zone that you need to go too.

Phenomic said:
Go to the Transporter area and you can actually click the thing in the center and it will take you to the zone that you need to go too.

Oh and go to the ship exterior immediately after you meet Stitch.

Seda

Phenomic said:
Okay so I'm getting totally wrecked again as Aqua on Proud.
Vantias fight in Neverland he just like one shots me literally on Proud, he does about the same stuff but was way easier when I fought him for the first time on Aqua
Anyone have good tips for how to fight him in an effective way?

Stay close to him. Cartwheel like mad (NOT Firewheel or the like, regular Cartwheel) Seriously. Him strongest and most annoying attacks are his long range ones. Block liberally (Renewal Barrier helps). Mine attacks (specifically Seeker Mine) are very useful.

Also, get Second Chance/Once More passive abilities if you haven't already. I might post a more detailed strat in a moment.

Anyways, I beat the first extra boss
(Vanitas Sentiment, Seeker Mines destroy this guy.)
but I think I'll have to train up some more levels before I try the Mysterious Figure.

Phenomic

Seda said:
Stay close to him. Cartwheel like mad (NOT Firewheel or the like, regular Cartwheel) Seriously. Him strongest and most annoying attacks are his long range ones. Block liberally (Renewal Barrier helps). Mine attacks (specifically Seeker Mine) are very useful.

Also, get Second Chance/Once More passive abilities if you haven't already. I might post a more detailed strat in a moment.

Anyways, I beat the first extra boss
(Vanitas Sentiment, Seeker Mines destroy this guy.)
but I think I'll have to train up some more levels before I try the Mysterious Figure.

You know he's not even that hard, He just does that Mother F'IN DIVE MOVE and it literally ONE Shots me no matter if I'm 100% healed.

It's like I don't even have time to move from it no matter when he actually uses it. I usually dodge the first one but then the 2nd time around he does it it's almost instant and I'm insta-dead

Seda

Phenomic said:
You know he's not even that hard, He just does that Mother F'IN DIVE MOVE and it literally ONE Shots me no matter if I'm 100% healed.

Here are some useful passive abilities to meld (in order of highest priority to lowest). Many of these are generally useful throughout the game.

Second Chance [Blizzara + Blizzara + Pulsing Crystal]
Once More [Fira + Fira + Wellspring Crystal

3x HP Boost [Fire + Fire + Soothing Crystal]
Leaf Bracer [Fire + Fire + Pulsing Crystal]
2x Dark Screen [Quick Blitz + Sliding Dash + Shimmering Crystal]
2x Fire Screen [Sliding Dash + Fire + Shimmering Crystal]

from the melding section of this guide

Volcynika

Seda said:
Here are some useful passive abilities to meld (in order of highest priority to lowest). Many of these are generally useful throughout the game.

Second Chance [Blizzara + Blizzara + Pulsing Crystal]
Once More [Fira + Fira + Wellspring Crystal

3x HP Boost [Fire + Fire + Soothing Crystal]
Leaf Bracer [Fire + Fire + Pulsing Crystal]
2x Dark Screen [Quick Blitz + Sliding Dash + Shimmering Crystal]
2x Fire Screen [Sliding Dash + Fire + Shimmering Crystal]

from the melding section of this guide

You messed up Once More when you told me about it on the last page (it's fixed here now), I kept going "fuck I have to do this again" and did it five times before I looked myself :lol

Seda

Volcynika said:
You messed up Once More when you told me about it on the last page (it's fixed here now), I kept going "fuck I have to do this again" and did it five times before I looked myself :lol

Sorry. 8(

Phenomic

Of course, I had maybe 2 blocks left on him before he dies and he kills me. Just typical
Edit *Again Just Happened for the second time. 3 Times. I'm really getting sick of this game.

Also another note of BS about this fight, If I go to use my special move, he dives in the ground and before I can react I'm dead because the game locks your character from moving right after I finish the special move. Is there like a way around this?

FINALLY! SUCCESS after like a bazillion tries. :lol

Quick question, don't want to stick around in the thread since I've not been following the game at all, but...how does this 3-playable-character business work? Once I finish Ven's story, will I ever be able to go back and play as him again? Will I have to beat the other two stories first?

If anyone wouldn't mind PMing me the answer, that's be great. Thanks.

Seda

RocketDarkness said:
Quick question, don't want to stick around in the thread since I've not been following the game at all, but...how does this 3-playable-character business work? Once I finish Ven's story, will I ever be able to go back and play as him again? Will I have to beat the other two stories first?

If anyone wouldn't mind PMing me the answer, that's be great. Thanks.

I'll just post it here.

You can play 1 of the 3 stories in any order. Once you beat that character's final boss. You are allowed to save a Clear Data for that character. You want to hold on to this clear data. If you load the Clear Data, you can do anything you might of put off before (mirage arena, collecting commands, whatever) and you can beat their final boss again if you want.

So you will end up with 3 clear datas, one for each character after you beat their stories.

Once you unlock all Xehanort Reports (most are gotten automatically, but not all), a Final Story will open. The final story is basically 2 more boss fights.

So in short:

Once I finish Ven's story, will I ever be able to go back and play as him again?

Yes, just load the clear data.

Kingsora

Adam Prime said:
Just grind a little bit, after that the game gets really easy. Also having cure helps a lot

And ow yeah a Cindarella ball with 5 people attending? Wtf. :lol

I think I got carried away making Auto Abilities with Ven :lol

I'm breezing through on Proud mode now cause of all the grinding I was doing :lol

Fuu

Damn Report 5's location, only afer completing every round of FRUITBALL with Terra thinking it would be given as a prize I decided to give in and use a FAQ. :lol

I say the gameplay in this is awesome all the time but, as someone who has been following the series for so long, this game was really satisfying character and plot-wise (I make fun of the story all the time but I actually love it, w/e).
It was great to see so many things we saw alluded in reports of other games getting scenes. Land of Departure becoming Castle Oblivion BLEW MY MIND, for some reason I didn't even consider it nor noticed the similar buildings. Aqua meeting Ansem was also a nice touch + so many Christopher Lee lines, hell yeah.
Shimomura owns my life, the music is such a big part of what makes KH to me. Just play any remotely melancholic track during a scene and I get teary eyed. :lol

Best KH ever, GOTY, etc. On to 100%.

I heard there's a secret boss but I don't want to risk spoiling it by looking at a wiki or FAQ. What exactly do I need to do to unlock the fight? No names, please.

Fuu said:
I heard there's a secret boss but I don't want to risk spoiling it by looking at a wiki or FAQ. What exactly do I need to do to unlock the fight? No names, please.

Final Episode, return to Keyblade Graveyard.

Fuu

Pureauthor said:
Final Episode, return to Keyblade Graveyard.
That's much easier than I expected. Thanks!

Edit: HOLY SHIT, no way I can win at this level. :lol

Peff

Fuu said:
That's much easier than I expected. Thanks!

There are two secret bosses, actually. When
if
you finish the first one go to
the Land of Departure
. Both have awesome themes :D

Seda

Fuu said:
Damn Report 5's location, only afer completing every round of FRUITBALL with Terra thinking it would be given as a prize I decided to give in and use a FAQ. :lol

I say the gameplay in this is awesome all the time but, as someone who has been following the series for so long, this game was really satisfying character and plot-wise (I make fun of the story all the time but I actually love it, w/e).
It was great to see so many things we saw alluded in reports of other games getting scenes. Land of Departure becoming Castle Oblivion BLEW MY MIND, for some reason I didn't even consider it nor noticed the similar buildings. Aqua meeting Ansem was also a nice touch + so many Christopher Lee lines, hell yeah.
Shimomura owns my life, the music is such a big part of what makes KH to me. Just play any remotely melancholic track during a scene and I get teary eyed. :lol

Best KH ever, GOTY, etc. On to 100%.

(Potential voice actor spoiler)
That was Corey Burton not Christopher Lee.

Seda said:

They could get him for about a combined total of a minute's dialogue in 358/2 Days but they couldn't get him for the next mainline entry where he was a really long monologue. Nice one, SE.

Fuu

Peff said:
if
the Land of Departure
Sweet! I liked the little I managed to hear of the music, can't wait to be able to survive long enough.

Seda said:
Aw, I just read that the voice actor was replaced, either he does an awesome job or I'm deaf.

Christopher Lee didn't play Ansem this time.

Peff said:
if
the Land of Departure

4(or was it 5?) if you count the Mirage Arena.

Top Bottom