• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It costs $260,000 to present a 60-second trailer at Gamescom

Draugoth

Gold Member
images

If you're a studio looking to showcase your game during Geoff Keighley's Gamescom Opening Night Live ceremony, then you'd better be prepared to pay for the privilege.

Per Gamescom's official booking form, prices for a spot during the pre-show start at €57,500, which works out at around $62,500. That'll get you a 30-second trailer. As a reminder, that's for the pre-show, not the main event.

For 60 seconds, you'll have to pay €82,500 (about $90,000), with prices rising to €107,500 (about $117,000) and €132,500 (around $144,000) for 90-second and 120-second spots respectively. The pre-show airs before the livestream for the main show, and it's not shown to Gamescom's in-person audience.

Bookings for the main show are sold out now, but a quick search through the trusty internet archive reveals just how much a studio will have paid for their game to be shown during Opening Night Live, and the costs are pretty eye-watering.

A mere 30-second spot costs a staggering €115,000, with prices rising to €165,000, €215,000, and €265,000 for 60-second, 90-second, and 120-second spots in that order.

If you think that sounds expensive, then you're not wrong; prices have risen significantly for showcase hopefuls since 2022. According to PC Gamer, a one-minute trailer during 2022's Gamescom Opening Night Live would have cost €125,000, which is €40,000 less than this year's price.

A 90-second spot would have set a studio back €165,000 in 2022, as compared to the €215,000 the same studio would pay today.

Source

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
$90,000 is honestly not much in terms of marketing budget, and it probably is worth it to get that many eyes on your trailer in this context.

But it's just not really worth it for me as a consumer to watch shows that are curated by the highest bidder. Summer Games Fest proved that beyond all doubt. I'll catch whatever trailers after.

TVexperto

pre show is also crazy expensive

makaveli60

These prices would have made (some) sense back in the day when it mattered, but nowadays after these companies are in a contest for producing worse and worse shows I and I’m sure many others won’t care watching it live so I don’t think it’s worth it but hey, the suits surely know better.

ssringo

Better bet would be to make that trailer and post it to YouTube with a title of "not a Gamescom reveal" or whatever. Shows up in Gamescom trailer searches and will get plenty of coverage.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's ok, it's a business... It's good to know prices tho just so one have an idea of what game dev costs imply, but I don't get people complaining like they're removing gamers food from table lol

Top Bottom