• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back with Playstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacfoldor

Get a pc, play everything with the best graphics, the best performance, the best input devices, have the best prices for games, don't pay for online gaming, enjoy thousands of pc exclusives and millions of mods. And yes you can do this in your living room on your 75" Oled and no you don't have to have an university degree in order to operate it. Problem solved
Now make it user friendly so a literal child can do it, without me doing anything at all but paying, and charge me 299 for the whole setup.

Consoles will never go anywhere chief. They may become more irrelevant, but they will always sell gangbusters.

Convenience will always be king for the non-enthusiast. I say this as a PC gamer and IT guy who builds PCs for all my friends, lol. Every IT guy knows 1 thing. If it ain't convenient, they ain't gonna use it.

Bernardougf

Already writing off wolverine? You know they made the spider man games right?

Get outta here.
Oh you mean like the last one that was a worst game in every way than the first... and you have to spend time playing as ugly mary jane and/or helping gay dudes find boyfriends ? ... yeah.. Ill hold judgment from now on until I see what they have done it with the coolest X-men character.

Last edited:

ithilion

Banned
Well i understand disappointment in current playstation. I have one since the ps1. So this one (ps5)is on the weak side when it comes to first party so far. But the system is great. Third party games are carrying it heavely. And palystation studios will drop the games. Have faith. Dont let the concord disgrace consume you. Is always dark before dawn

We know that no brand lasts forever. PlayStation has a long way to go, but I wonder, when it’s all said and done will we be able to draw a straight line between Concord and the death of PlayStation?
Too funny.
If the ps3 couldnt kill sony, surely fucking concord will.

Rolling Back It Up GIF

Zacfoldor

Yeah, I'm betting big on Playstation 5 next year. I think this is the dark times for the entire industry. I think Nintendo knew. I think that is why they delayed the Switch 2. All these turmoils we go thru now, Nintendo knew them years ago and deftly side stepped them. Nintendo gonna strike at the perfect time with Switch 2. That is not a coincidence. Big brained Nintendo is copied constantly but also not nearly enough.

Metnut

No one cares about Concord except for terminally online forum folks. Did you see the sales? No one bought it. The few who did got a refund.

The 50 million PS5s that have been sold aren’t going to be returned because Concord flopped and some of the Sony studios are taking too long to get games out. Many of these PS5s are playing stuff like College Football 2024, Baldur’s Gate 3, FF7 Rebirth or other 3rd party stuff. Even Microsoft is making PS5 games now.

Last edited:

Burger King

Neo Member
Every project can't be successful.

That being said they need only to produce Gaas games from successful franchises if they want to have a greater chance of success (give me Factions 2 dammit!)

Last edited:
Sony PlayStation Elite Task Squad assembled and ready to go! We will defend Sony at all costs!

Seriously though, anytime someone has a critique of anything PlayStation you get told to go outside or touch grass. Never seen anything like it tbh 😂

Almost nothing mentioned has any affect on their SP games. At best Factions delayed some ND games.
That is why most of us don't really care if some things they try fail. Most GaaS will fail. I wish all of them would fail.

I don't think polish will save Wolverine if they end up going for the social route and get all drama. Wolverine is literally the opposite of everything modern Sony stands for.

We'll see I guess. But he's a white dude they showed in a bar, and tears off limbs. Not exactly the social playbook so far.

Kronark

Neo Member
To play what releases, deadlock? Their grievance is that Sony aren't investing enough in the type of games s/he likes like Gravity Rush, Siren, Infamous, Days gone, Bloodborne or Team ICO games. That's not really going to be fulfilled by getting a PC instead is it. PS5 gets almost all the releases PC gets plus more when it comes to these type of big games.
This is the core of the problem for me. Sony used to be the company that between major AAA releases had a bunch of very unique and experimental AA stuff that you'd only find on their platform. You simply had to have a Playstation to get at these experiences. Some money guys came in and said "Hey these aren't doing Uncharted / Horizon numbers, get rid of them" without realizing how much that stuff fleshed out the identity of the brand and the product roster. Now Sony has nothing to offer people on any regular basis outside of generic multi-platform experiences that don't define the brand. If you're lucky you get one of those big AAA exclusive titles once every other year and you better pray that you're actually interested in it or you'll be waiting 1-2 years for the next one.

I understand the other side of the argument too that those games weren't profitable and without the accounting books it's hard to make outside judgments on the business, but it feels like even if those games weren't directly massively profitable they were at least healthy for the brand and incubating fresh ideas / experiences. They were probably worth keeping around if they were around breaking even financially. Without them Sony's entire business model is gambling $200 million dollars a hand on AAA / GaaS experiences and that has been an absolute disaster.

Killjoy-NL

Maybe if people actually bought any of those games, Sony wouldn't have shut down those studios or moved on from those franchises.

The Stig

Oh you mean like the last one that was a worst game in every way than the first... and you have to spend time playing as ugly mary jane and/or helping gay dudes find boyfriends ? ... yeah.. Ill hold judgment from now on until I see what they have done it with the coolest X-men character.
those bits sucked, HARD but the rest of the game was great, IMO

Cakeboxer

Now make it user friendly so a literal child can do it, without me doing anything at all but paying, and charge me 299 for the whole setup.

Consoles will never go anywhere chief. They may become more irrelevant, but they will always sell gangbusters.

Convenience will always be king for the non-enthusiast. I say this as a PC gamer and IT guy who builds PCs for all my friends, lol. Every IT guy knows 1 thing. If it ain't convenient, they ain't gonna use it.
I didn't say consoles will die. I just recommend a pc to anybody that is not super broke, lazy or dumb. There is nothing hard, time consuming or dangerous about it and you don't have to be an enthusiast. Most driver updates are automated and Steam takes care of the games. That's it. My 10y old nephew runs a pc on his own.

PS5 has great games, but definitely just very few have come from PS Studios (Stellar Blade for example, doesn’t count because it wasn’t developed by them).
I've seen this kind of thinking on this site more and more over the years and I just don't get it. Of course it counts! Its a game that at this moment, can literally only be played on PlayStation!! Like what are we talking about here people.

Even if I were to ask people, what great gaming franchises would you like Sony to revive from the PS3 era, I feel like almost unanimously people would include the resistance series. Yet, when those games released, they weren't Sony first party games and you know what, no one gave a fuck. Most of you guys focus wayyyy too much on who is making the game and not where can the games be played, when that's really the thing that matters most.

Three

Japanese developers are making big bucks while making cool and fun single-player games.
Japanese and Korean developers are still making cool and fun single player games for Playstation too. This year we got Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, and we're about to get Astrobot. All single player and all from Asian devs. These are still definitely dark times for the industry though as overall output is more risky nowadays unless it's a massive IP.

nothing will ever be more damaging to the playstation console business than the 5 year development cycle. the 5 year development cycle opens the door to the possibility that, over the 7-year span of a sony console generation (which's now the average length), certain in-house developers might only release a single title (think ghost of tsushima 2). if you're in the business of manufacturing/selling new consoles on a regular basis? this's a very major problem...

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
nothing will ever be more damaging to the playstation console business than the 5 year development cycle. the 5 year development cycle opens the door to the possibility that, over the 7-year span of a sony console generation (which's now the average length), certain in-house developers might only release a single title (think ghost of tsushima 2). if you're in the business of manufacturing/selling new consoles on a regular basis? this's a very major problem...

How is that a problem? With Xbox no longer being a viable competitor I could see Sony scaling back 1st party altogether. People will buy the hardware anyway. Why invest all that money on the roll of a dice when you could sell a ton of hardware for people to play Fortnite, CoD, and GTA on a $500 box. Sit back and collect your 30% cut on everything, and every couple of years launch a big safe AAA like Spiderman. This is basically what Valve does to great success except replace AAA cinematic game with GaaS because they have no competition.

Dorago

It's such s shame because the PS5 is the best console Sony has ever released.

There's just no compelling software for it besides catalog titles (which are cheap an well presented) and certain third party games.

Will GTA6 releasing even help?

Saber

We'll see I guess. But he's a white dude they showed in a bar, and tears off limbs. Not exactly the social playbook so far.

This is just a very fraction of the game and taking away limbs of has nothing to do with social playbook. I'm talking about the "toxic masculinity" card. Wolverine is epitome of masculine character, I'm almost certain Jean Grey and other female characters with big chin are there to put Logan in his place, not to mention they don't need to show any propaganda of sort during gameplay presentations, something they did with Spider-man 2.

Last edited:
How is that a problem? With Xbox no longer being a viable competitor I could see Sony scaling back 1st party altogether. People will buy the hardware anyway. Why invest all that money on the roll of a dice when you could sell a ton of hardware for people to play Fortnite, CoD, and GTA on a $500 box. Sit back and collect your 30% cut on everything, and every couple of years launch a big safe AAA like Spiderman. This is basically what Valve does to great success except replace AAA cinematic game with GaaS because they have no competition.
if sony fundamentally becomes a console monopoly, you're correct. that no one else will want a piece of this (as in, an affordable pc/console hybrid)? that's yet to be determined...

edit: there's also the other problem of 'cross-gen' titles. you could conceivably skip every other generation of ps console, & still get to (eventually) play all the games released during its lifetime...

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Neil directed one of the greatest games in Playstation history with the Last of Us series.

You're completely ignoring all the great games Playstation has released this generation

Stop being dramatic.

Yes, some great games have come out this gen. Fortunately for Sony, they do have some very good 3rd party exclusives that helps offset arguably the weakest 1st party software generation ever for them

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My friend, this giant’s feet are not made of clay.

Nintendo survived much worse.
Concord made it into the records, but since its target audience turned out to not exist, this means that the public at large is barely aware of the game’s incredibly short trajectory, if they even are. PlayStation is going to remain the main gaming system for millions of people for a long time.

larrybrady

Neo Member
I liked those Sony Japan games too,the masses didn't though.. average sales.. lots of studios go belly up(or considerably downsize) after 1 bad selling game/ or average selling game, Japan seemed to get like a handful of chances .... Maybe now they have a money maker with astrobot(the Astro bot team is what's left of Sony Japan right,or am I mistaken)..

I have no idea what socom 3 sales numbers were or infamous 3 sales numbers,but it felt like we got 3 infamous games within a short time,it felt like a overdose of it. I personally was sick of the formula and glad they moved on to ghost......

They made some shaky investments for sure but also some solid ones... They also are getting some free money(if you wanna call it that) that they probably weren't expecting at the beginning of this gen, 30% from Microsoft games ..

Also let's wait and see on wolverine,its like judging someone's life after only being 3 months old and freshly out of the womb .. insomniac will have that polished to hell and back by 2026.. the big fear is if it will d.e.i us to death

kaizenkko

They ignored all these complaints because they were still making money. Well, now they have seen two straight quarters of falling YoY sales, and now they have a huge bomb on their hands. Chickens finally coming home to roost.
Playstation being the number 1 console on market is never a really good sign for fans. But at least we can say that the best of PS Studios come when the things are fuck up.

It's such s shame because the PS5 is the best console Sony has ever released.

Will GTA6 releasing even help?

GTA VI is releasing on only two console platforms globally and it will be the largest media release of 2025.

Make no mistake, GTA VI is bigger than you or me or the collective thought mass that is this message board and will bring in more revenue than anything else in the entertainment industry, movies and music included.

If Sony can improve sentiment before Christmas 2025, they'll be back on top. The less is more strategy is doing nothing to help and a lot can go wrong between now and then. Momentum is bleak, we're in a trough and the pigs are getting hungry for slop.

Pedro Motta

Gamers are already upset by the actions that Playstation is doing, like what happened with Concord.

First they start with the censorship of video games, which is annoying, They release garbage games like Destruction all Stars, The cancellation of the last of us factions, Then the failure of concord, foamstars... With wolverine There are already 5 mediocre games that ruin the PlayStation brand.

It is not possible that they put in the incopetent of Jim ryan and Helmen Hulst who only wants to market Horizon.

With all those losses and buget, they could have made sequels to Gravity rush, Socom, Siren, Infamous, Days gone, Bloodborne or a Team ICO game.

Or an IP from Japan Studio.

The worst thing is put the Mediocre Neil Druckmann as CEO.

That's all that's missing.
I told you not do it. At least you should do an account suicide. YOLO

Most people don't give a shit about censoring some arse crack in DMC V. Let alone the niche weeb games that get properly censored.

Who's to say Factions wouldn't of been a giant mess being a GAAS, just like destruction allstars and concord.

Arrogant Sony are back and you better get used to it. Bloody nose from Concord or not. They'll keep trying and not give a shit if you don't like it.

If arrogamt Sony is back (which they are) then OP is right to complain about what he sees.

JayK47

I have been so disappointed in Sony exclusives, I have yet to even buy a PS5. There is one damn game I want, Stellar Blade. Just the one. Where is Uncharted? I bought a PS4 just to play that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom