• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Peco

If you're going to Livorno you just need to know:

- boia dè -> boia dè
- ma caa voi? -> what do you want?
- si sgabbia? - > can we leave?
- dove stà la roba da vedè? -> where are things we'd like to see?
- gnàmo -> let's go
- grazie mille -> thanks a lot
- ci garba un sacco l'italia! -> we really like Italy!
- meglio un morto in casa che un pisano sull'uscio (don't use this in Pisa btw) -> better to have a dead in the house than someone from Pisa on my front door

do this at your own risk

ftfy

lefantome

If you're going to Tuscany you just need to know:

- boia dè -> boia dè
- gnàmo -> let's go
- meglio un morto in casa che un pisano sull'uscio (don't use this in Pisa btw) -> better to have a dead in the house than someone from Pisa on my front door

do this at your own risk

If you're going to pass through Leghorn on the way to Pisa don't forget to visit their main attraction, just outside the city:

pucciosterza.jpg

Hai voglia di mangiare un fantasma ?

lol no but I had to read the book back then.

SmartBase

- boia dè -> boia dè
- gnàmo -> let's go

do this at your own risk

Hehe thank you, I just find grammatical genders a bit difficult. I mean how do you know what's masculine or feminine? For example, la birra and il vino.

http://duolingo.com

Don't use it myself though. I hate grammar anyway, no matter the language, so I never learn the rules.

Thank you to you as well, that looks fairly comprehensive.

lefantome

Hehe thank you, I just find grammatical genders a bit difficult. I mean how do you know what's masculine or feminine? For example, la birra and il vino.

Thank you to you as well, that looks fairly comprehensive.

"la" is feminine "il" is masculine. It's a simple way to know the words gender if you read or listen them.

Generally those ending in "a" are feminine and "o" masculine, but these are only the major cases, I suggest to read some grammar text to clarify it.
Italian ain't easy we have lots of rules and special cases.

But I think it's pretty easy to pronounce after you've learned some rules.

SmartBase

"la" is feminine "il" is masculine. It's a simple way to know the words gender if you read or listen them.

Generally those ending in "a" are feminine and "o" masculine, but these are only the major cases, I suggest to read some grammar text to clarify it.
Italian ain't easy we have lots of rules and special cases.

But I think it's pretty easy to pronounce after you've learned some rules.

That's the thing, you'd think beer is masculine and wine feminine. Anyways, I've been taught the correct pronunciation by an Italian friend, I just have to learn all the different rules. It's a nice change of pace after having learned Japanese.

lefantome

That's the thing, you'd think beer is masculine and wine feminine. Anyways, I've been taught the correct pronunciation by an Italian friend, I just have to learn all the different rules. It's a nice change of pace after having learned Japanese.

well, If you handle japanes I don't think italian will be a pain to learn.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've studied some Spanish and want to get into Italian, I just need to find the time. Duolingo is what I was using, they have a Chrome app.

I know, there are lots of differences with Romagnol for instance, a dialect that is strangely close to French and Gascon.

I could read italian before I started "learning" it (never took lessons). I can still understand spanish, read it, write it, but for the life of me, I cannot speak it anymore: I keep using italian verbs.

This could have been a problem when I had my last spanish exam in January.

Anyway, as soon as I get out of the office, I'm going for PIZZA again. Love living here, pizza is so cheap (and better than in France).

Finalow

oh well, never saw this thread before.
btw Venice is overrated, it's actually an awful place to live in but a nice place if you stay there for no more than one week.

should add "viva la figa" in the thread title, mandolino isn't a thing anymore.

- boia dè -> boia dè
- gnàmo -> let's go

do this at your own risk
yep. come see us in Tuscany, great place.

-
not really.

Heyyy, you guys are awake. So I'm writing a paper for an italian class...

How would I say "until"? As in "Loro erano antipatico a me [...] l'ultimo anno."

Heyyy, you guys are awake. So I'm writing a paper for an italian class...

How would I say "until"? As in "Loro erano antipatico a me [...] l'ultimo anno."

"Fino a"

Also, that sentence should be "Loro erano antipatici fino all'ultimo anno." And you could write it without "loro", people would understand it anyway in this case.

How the fuck did it get so fucking cold in Emilia-Romagna all of a sudden ?

I'm glad I was only there for the week-end because it was fucking freezing. Even if it's constantly raining now, I'm much happier in Rome.

Ah! Un'altra domanda - come si dice "first grade," "second grade," ecc. in italiano?

I'd say prima elementare, seconda elementare etc. That is, if you're speaking of primary school. 6th to 8th is prima media, seconda media, terza media and 9th to 12th is prima liceo,seconda liceo, etc.

How the fuck did it get so fucking cold in Emilia-Romagna all of a sudden ?

I'm glad I was only there for the week-end because it was fucking freezing. Even if it's constantly raining now, I'm much happier in Rome.

Usual wave of cold weather throughout the whole country :p

You know, I was seriously afraid I was writing some wrong/dumb thing. In Italian, my native tongue.

And I still am!

Lately with having to districate myself between three languages I don't know what's what anymore...
The other day I couldn't even remember the correct way of saying birthdate in Italian >_>
I was thinking "Giorno di nascita"... (it's "Data di nascita")

Ah! Un'altra domanda - come si dice "first grade," "second grade," ecc. in italiano?

Prima elementare, Seconda elementare, ecc...
Watch out though, we never say ottava elementare, nona elementare in place of 8th and 9th grade.

The Italian schooling system is made by 5 years of primary + 3 middle + 5 high school and then University.

So it's:

Prima elementare
Seconda elementare
Terza elementare
Quarta elementare
Quinta elementare

Prima media
Seconda media
Terza media

Prima superiore
Seconda superiore
Terza superiore
Quarta superiore
Quinta superiore

And then there's University with "Primo anno di Università", ecc...

You can say "liceo" instead of "superiore" if you're attending a Liceo high school.
Things get a bit more complicated in the case of Liceo Classico (classical studies oriented high school, which is a very popular school even amongst those who intend to pursue a scientific career)
The Liceo Classico is numbered this way:

Quarta ginnasio
Quinta ginnasio
Prima liceo
Seconda liceo
Terza liceo

Generating all kinds of confusion...
I don't know if it's still like this as I attended high school in the last century, but I don't think it's much different now.

Prima elementare, Seconda elementare, ecc...
Watch out though, we never say ottava elementare, nona elementare in place of 8th and 9th grade.

The Italian schooling system is made by 5 years of primary + 3 middle + 5 high school and then University.

So it's:

Prima elementare
Seconda elementare
Terza elementare
Quarta elementare
Quinta elementare

Prima media
Seconda media
Terza media

Prima superiore
Seconda superiore
Terza superiore
Quarta superiore
Quinta superiore

And then there's University with "Primo anno di Università", ecc...

You can say "liceo" instead of "superiore" if you're attending a Liceo high school.
Things get a bit more complicated in the case of Liceo Classico (classical studies oriented high school, which is a very popular school even amongst those who intend to pursue a scientific career)
The Liceo Classico is numbered this way:

Quarta ginnasio
Quinta ginnasio
Prima liceo
Seconda liceo
Terza liceo

Generating all kinds of confusion...
I don't know if it's still like this as I attended high school in the last century, but I don't think it's much different now.

Interesting. Thank you!

Sorry, one more thing! Would anyone mind if I PM'd them my paper to look over? I've already turned it in, and it's pretty short... but any suggestions for the future would be great.

Ma però non hai sbagliato

S7rMLY8.gif
After reading it five times, I'm pretty sure it's fine. Maybe.
Lately with having to districate myself between three languages I don't know what's what anymore...
The other day I couldn't even remember the correct way of saying birthdate in Italian >_>
I was thinking "Giorno di nascita"... (it's "Data di nascita")
Heh, sometimes English words come to mind faster than Italian words. And I'm getting used to translate what I hear in Italian to English in my mind, I even find English-only jokes doing so.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.
Sorry, one more thing! Would anyone mind if I PM'd them my paper to look over? I've already turned it in, and it's pretty short... but any suggestions for the future would be great.
Yeah, sure!

lefantome

you can also switch "a me" with "mi" before "erano"

"mi erano antipatici"

or

" a me mi erano antipatici"

which is correct italian.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dislocazione_a_sinistra

contrarily to this, which is most widely seen as an uncorrect expression, a "mistaken" very common in northern Italy should be avoided:

"piuttosto" means ONLY rather.

If you see someone using it as "or" you can legitimately act as a grammar nazi

Sentenza

contrarily to this, which is most widely seen as an uncorrect expression, a "mistaken" very common in northern Italy should be avoided:

"piuttosto" means ONLY rather.

If you see someone using it as "or" you can legitimately act as a grammar nazi
Can't say I ever heard a single person using "piuttosto" as a replacement of "or", actually.

Copons

Can't say I ever heard a single person using "piuttosto" as a replacement of "or", actually.

One of my business partners use it ALWAYS as "or". Every time we have a meeting with some clients, when he goes with all these long disjunctive lists saying plenty of "piuttosto", I totally stop listening and start thinking how much it would feel good to punch him in the face. :(

It's rare but I do, and I have this reaction:

One of my business partners use it ALWAYS as "or". Every time we have a meeting with some clients, when he goes with all these long disjunctive lists saying plenty of "piuttosto", I totally stop listening and start thinking how much it would feel good to punch him in the face. :(

LeleSocho

Banned
After reading it five times, I'm pretty sure it's fine. Maybe.

Heh, sometimes English words come to mind faster than Italian words. And I'm getting used to translate what I hear in Italian to English in my mind, I even find English-only jokes doing so.

Yeah, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

Yeah, sure!

It was a joke on me using "ma però"

Yeah that happens to me too but only on certain words like "patented", i don't know why it's so hard for me to remember "brevettato".

Top Bottom