• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Martal

Neo Member
btw forgot to thank you guys for the tips. Ended up going with the safe (if a bit boring) penne rigate.

However, since the "big dinner" I've made the same sauce for myself and used all kinds of pasta with it. The lumaconi, with the right amount of sauce, ended up being pretty darn good.

eso76

Wait a minute, there's a female...italian female in here and no one is hitting on her.
Think of the stereotypes, italyGAF.

for those not familiar, the pici are like really fat spaghetti, made with eggs & flour (like tagliatelle and such).

no eggs in pici !

Rikkun

...It went badly. Every time my partner made a mistake, she would go on a long rant, interrupting whatever we were saying. I was trying to do an organic conversation, but by the end, we didn't even get to get through the menu (we stopped at il primo). That's not to say that I didn't make mistakes, but she didn't go on very long then. And I knew the order of the menu... not to hate on my partner, as in most other situations I'd be the one bringing my partner down (in Italian), but...

Kenka

Contrast between France/Germany GAF and Italy/Switzerland GAF is stark. The former speek their native language. While we pasta lovers all speak English with one another (we just add more Emmental on them).

northead

Contrast between France/Germany GAF and Italy/Switzerland GAF is stark. The former speek their native language. While we pasta lovers all speak English with one another (we just add more Emmental on them).

Provvediamo subito!
Di dove siete... guys? :lol

UrbanRats

I think part of it is because there isn't a mod who speaks Italian, while there are (at least i think) mods that speak French as well as German.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Ok, i'd put lasagne on top as well.

However if we move away from ragu, i'd totally go with:

Pici panna salsiccia e funghi (pici with sausages and mushrooms).

particolare-pici-alla-norcina-nel-piatto-450x337.jpg

Then put some parmesan on them and you're golden.

for those not familiar, the pici are like really fat spaghetti, made with eggs & flour (like tagliatelle and such).
Yeah... I'm going to need a recipe here.

Sentenza

Yeah, here's a secret, by the way: being a "pasta lover" isn't really an ethnic thing.
Everyone who actually tried to eat some *good* pasta can be one.

If you hear someone claiming "I tried pasta once, it was shit" he's most likely someone who ate some terrible attempt at imitating the original thing.

Rikkun

Yeah, here's a secret, by the way: being a "pasta lover" isn't really an ethnic thing.
Everyone who actually tried to eat some *good* pasta can be one.

If you hear someone claiming "I tried pasta once, it was shit" he's most likely someone who ate some terrible attempt at imitating the original thing.

I literally never heard anyone saying that bullshit. Pasta is love, pasta is universal!

ZHeZ0Dz.jpg

Povero gene :(

Mi è tornato in mente all'improvviso il programma satirico di calcio che faceva su Sky due o tre anni fa.. Adesso il massimo della satira sono Pardo ubriaco e Bergomi che commenta la Juve :(

Anyway my IELTS test results should come in this week, anybody else did this?
Yep two years ago, right after I came back from my short stay in England.
8.5 bitches

Just did it for the kicks really, I might have to do it again for my master's application in a couple of months (I already have my GMAT score so that's one thing done at least) , I'm looking into it now but I don't think the test result I already have is valid anymore.

We're either doing pasta rankings or complaining about politics, I think we're safe for now.
Anyway, the test went quite well, 8.5 out of 9!
Oh missed that, well done mate! That's certainly good enough for any university out there.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Btw, have you guys seen the Mediamarkt PS4’s launch videos In Germany?
Freaking insane, stampede and all that jazz O_O
I'm curious if anything remotely similar happened in Italy, but I very much doubt that.

Got my bundles from Amazon this morning (one for me and the other as a Xmas' gift for my brother), and even tho I'm not a scalper, I've never attempted to be one ever and I'm definitely not looking to become one in the future, I'll prolly try to flip 'em both just for kicks.
The thing is readily available in most italian cities and even then, ordering from Amazon gives you a December 16 shipping date; if anyone out there is so desperate to avoid waiting a couple more weeks (in the comfort of your home, just waiting for the Express Courier guy to show up!) and wants to pay a premium for that... then let them I say. It's not like I robbed a fellow gamer™ of some super rare item (or even worse the tickets for a gig or something like that). I, on the other hand, have no problem waiting If I can make a couple of hundred euros between the two of them to grab a WiiU then I'm gonna do it and just re-order from Amazon.

Yeah, I'll probably notice there's not much money to made. relealize I'm too lazy to set up the listings and end up keeping 'em both. :p
But you know what's strange? Last generation the mere thought of selling my new console would have never even crossed my mind, now I've got it sitting on a corner, still packed. I dunno, I'm mildly curious to try it but far from excited... it's kinda sad if I think about it.

FUCK GNOCCHI??!!! -_-
That's it, the end is nigh.

Rikkun

Btw, have you guys seen the Mediamarkt PS4’s launch videos In Germany?
Freaking insane, stampede and all that jazz O_O
I'm curious if anything remotely similar happened in Italy, but I very much doubt that.

Got my bundles from Amazon this morning (one for me and the other as a Xmas' gift for my brother), and even tho I'm not a scalper, I've never attempted to be one ever and I'm definitely not looking to become one in the future, I'll prolly try to flip 'em both just for kicks.
The thing is readily available in most italian cities and even then, ordering from Amazon gives you a December 16 shipping date; if anyone out there is so desperate to avoid waiting a couple more weeks (in the comfort of your home, just waiting for the Express Courier guy to show up!) and wants to pay a premium for that... then let them I say. It's not like I robbed a fellow gamer™ of some super rare item (or even worse the tickets for a gig or something like that). I, on the other hand, have no problem waiting If I can make a couple of hundred euros between the two of them to grab a WiiU then I'm gonna do it and just re-order from Amazon.

Yeah, I'll probably notice there's not much money to made. relealize I'm too lazy to set up the listings and end up keeping 'em both. :p
But you know what's strange? Last generation the mere thought of selling my new console would have never even crossed my mind, now I've got it sitting on a corner, still packed. I dunno, I'm mildly curious to try it but far from excited... it's kinda sad if I think about it.

FUCK GNOCCHI??!!! -_-
That's it, the end is nigh.

Yeah I don't know about the PS4 because I'm so poor I can't reach the nearest Gamestop.. but I haven't seen many photos of it on Facebook so I guess it's not that much sold out.

And yeah, I'm craving one just because I have every other console on the market (except for the XBONE), but there isn't a single game I'd like to play. I'm waiting for someone to gift me SM3DW for Christmas :D

To clarify, there are two reasons that made me ask everybody to speak in English or in dual-language mode.

The first one is of course because there are no Italian speaking mods (...or are there? >:D ), so to make their work easier we put a translation of what we say and they don't have to rely on automatic translations. Although I've seen someone that didn't translate his/her post accurately lately ;)

The second reason is to be inclusive, the Italian community here is way smaller than the others (just look at Toronto GAF, they have their own OT and went through 3 OTs by being a town!) so to encourage others gaffers to participate it'd be nice if they could actually understand what we're talking about.

So be nice and make that extra effort, ok? :)

Also, re: PS4. All of my friends got it... and I'm stuck here in Japan where it isn't released until February :|
Seriously it almost seems like the delayed release curse has been following me around.

Granted, I'm not taking one until Final Fantasy XV most likely, but still...

Rikkun

To clarify, there are two reasons that made me ask everybody to speak in English or in dual-language mode.

The first one is of course because there are no Italian speaking mods (...or are there? >:D ), so to make their work easier we put a translation of what we say and they don't have to rely on automatic translations. Although I've seen someone that didn't translate his/her post accurately lately ;)

The second reason is to be inclusive, the Italian community here is way smaller than the others (just look at Toronto GAF, they have their own OT and went through 3 OTs by being a town!) so to encourage others gaffers to participate it'd be nice if they could actually understand what we're talking about.

So be nice and make that extra effort, ok? :)

Also, re: PS4. All of my friends got it... and I'm stuck here in Japan where it isn't released until February :|
Seriously it almost seems like the delayed release curse has been following me around.

Granted, I'm not taking one until Final Fantasy XV most likely, but still...

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I did mistranslate some posts as a joke, I'll try to never do that again :p

Sorry for the respawn but it's the first time I see this topic :D

Ciao ragazzi! Innanzitutto Anolini (cappelletti) > Lasagne. Cioè dipende da come ci si sveglia in effetti, ma una cosa è sicura: i gnocchi fanno schifo. Scientificamente provato!
Poi invito tutti i gaffers in visita verso l'Italia a mangiare i salumi di Parma, ma pure voi italiani che magari siete lontani dalla nostra nebbia B)

Hi guys! First of all Anolini > Lasagne. Well, depending on how you wake up, but one thing for sure: gnocchi sucks. Proven scientifically! Second I call every gaffer who wants to visit Italy to eat cold cuts from Parma, but also fellow italians who are distant from our fog.

Poi intanto che ci sono... io e i miei amici facciamo dei let's play semi trash e così abbiamo fatto un video totalmente trash in occasione dell'uscita di PS4 e Super Mario 3D World, spero vi piaccia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmwLedOQuxE

This is an italian video celebrating PS4 and Mario 3D World with some trash nonsense... it's very humble but you know, we had the time to do it so we did it.
My friend Affa did english subs, I hope they're ok!

Dash Kappei

Don't know how the fuck did I forget about Tortellini and Cappelletti (albeit slightly, they're still two different things you know) in my top10, I love 'em. For shame. My mom's home-made Cappelletti in Brodo (= in broth) are a fucking bliss on Christmas day's lunch. Also, Tortellino's Academy (Confraternita del Tortellino) recipe FTW!

Tortelliniinbrodo.jpg

vampirolol ma sei quello che aveva fatto quel video tristissimo dove cantavi capitan uncino su forumeye che finiva con "... un saluto a delita"??? o_O

Dash Kappei

"i" gnocchi?
Smh. :p
I've got a forumeye and gamesvillage account myself, but it's only for b/s/t stuff.

Anyway, should we like, exchange PSN profiles or something?
I'll start, mine is dashkap and it's the same on live/steam, tho I'm not big on multiplayer I play that too sometimes, especially Gran Turismo. Mostly play multi on PSN tho, on Steam I just plan to play Left4Dead2, racing sims and Sonic Racing Transfomed, while on Xbox I'm a puny Silver member who's big on shmups.
Own a 3DS but never play online with it.

If you send me a friend request, identify yourself as Italian GAF, got enough lurkers on my list as is.

Rikkun

Hey guys I got a problem, I'm kinda interested in a girl but tonight while I was at home watching This is the End she was at the cinema, laughing her ass off while watching Fuga di Cervelli.

I mean, she even likes Max Pezzali. I should detonate her right?

Dash I'll add you during the weekend, tomorrow morning I'm leaving early for a 2 days trip to Trento, to see the Mercatini di Natale (?). I'd rather stay at home watching movies but eh, at least I'll eat something good I hope.

Zabojnik

Mi è tornato in mente all'improvviso il programma satirico di calcio che faceva su Sky due o tre anni fa.. Adesso il massimo della satira sono Pardo ubriaco e Bergomi che commenta la Juve :(

Rikkun ci manchi nell'altro thread. Dat avatar. <3

Somax

Hey guys I got a problem, I'm kinda interested in a girl but tonight while I was at home watching This is the End she was at the cinema, laughing her ass off while watching Fuga di Cervelli.

I mean, she even likes Max Pezzali. I should detonate her right?

Dash I'll add you during the weekend, tomorrow morning I'm leaving early for a 2 days trip to Trento, to see the Mercatini di Natale (?). I'd rather stay at home watching movies but eh, at least I'll eat something good I hope.

Movie: -100 point
Max Pezzali: +100 points

It's a zero sum, go for it.

TheDude108

Italian Gaf I need your help.

As a visitor to Rome and Florence, we obviously ate out at many restaurants. However, whilst the main dish was fantastic, I couldn't help myself with the bread that is given to everyone.

Problem is, I cannot find out what the bread is called, or where to find it! Its the type that has darkish brown crust, white in the middle and is not doughy at all.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Italian Gaf I need your help.

As a visitor to Rome and Florence, we obviously ate out at many restaurants. However, whilst the main dish was fantastic, I couldn't help myself with the bread that is given to everyone.

Problem is, I cannot find out what the bread is called, or where to find it! Its the type that has darkish brown crust, white in the middle and is not doughy at all.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Hmm, this one might prove to be difficult as there are many types of bread in Italy that match that description XD
Did you take a picture by chance?

Sentenza

Hmm, this one might prove to be difficult as there are many types of bread in Italy that match that description XD
Did you take a picture by chance?
Also, I'm not an usual visitor of Rome or Florence, but I'm bit surprised he's being given the same kind of bread in many different places, considering the shitload of variety I usually cross even trying different restaurants just in my city.

vampirolol ma sei quello che aveva fatto quel video tristissimo dove cantavi capitan uncino su forumeye che finiva con "... un saluto a delita"??? o_O

No, però avevo fatto "viva la playstation 4 tutti con me!", sempre per una scommessa su eyeronic!

I made a sad video after losing a bet on a forum :p

InPlosion

Wow, had no Idea this thread existed.
It is kind of nice to see fellow countrymen in here all together :p.

It is weird to read Italian here on gaf though, I have to admit.

Ciao a tutti!

Dash Kappei

Didn't I'm afraid. Most of it tasted the same and had similar texture.

I think its similar to this one:
http://italicious.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/p1060258.jpg

Thats called Pane di Lariano, but Googling it seems to show a much different texture in some pictures.

Toscana&Umbria's bread is baked without salt in wooden oven. It's the best kind of bread there is, no contest.
You can get that served as well in some restaurants in Lazio, but it's not as common.

It's an acquired taste, especially if you've eaten salted bread all your life, but I believe that Strettura's Bread is the pinnacle of breads, following a 1000 years old recipe and it's still done that way.
It's super crunchy on the outside crust and with a super soft mushy crumb. It's a match made in heaven with the "affettati" (prosciutto, mortadella, salame, salsicce secche, capocollo... etc). Fuck, now I'm salivating :p

http://cucina.corriere.it/cucinatip...ra_7f691b96-1b00-11df-af4a-00144f02aabe.shtml

ISE6hpu.jpg
W4DTN4K.jpg

Frost_Ace

Sempre voluto mangiare il pane senza sale, quando si mangia con i salumi ne esalta veramente il sapore! Peccato che qua al sud non si trova :/

Comunque vedo che non sono l'unico (ex) membro di forumeye, GAF l'ho scoperto attraverso i thread dei NPD/Media Create.

Somax

Wow, had no Idea this thread existed.
It is kind of nice to see fellow countrymen in here all together :p.

It is weird to read Italian here on gaf though, I have to admit.

Ciao a tutti!

Well, let's just say that gaf tends to attract users from many places... since the level of conversation that can be found here is leaps and bounds above the endless flaming, whining, console wars typical of the "BIG ITALIAN FORUMS".

Dash Kappei

HELL YEAH!
This year's olive oil (made by our own olive crops) just came in! Gran Turismo 6 which I've just picked up?!
Pfttt, this made my day.
Gonna eat a shitload of bruschetta for dinner, we do that every year after harvest time.

Edit: couldn't help it, I've just poured a little into a small dressing bottle and had a go at it... Holy cow it's sooo good, this year has been exceptional for crops.
Just fuckin' look at it: so green, so dense, so smooth... oh god almost wanna drink it lol
yeah, I'm kinda hardcore about food haha

edit2:
Ended up having tons of garlic+salt+oil bruschettas and Gnocchi al Sugo di Castrato tonight, I was in heaven :D

Copons

Meanwhile, outside the food subject.

How cool is that Italy now is a country ruled by an uncostitutional political class elected by an uncostitutional electoral law that the same uncostitutionally elected political class is supposed to change before having proper elections?

Is like an Inception meets Xzibit ultra combo. I totally love it.

Rafy

I never knew about this thread! Are we allowed to talk in Italian here?
I wonder if there are enough people here for a meetup like the brits do. Would be nice!

Ciao a tutti!

I wonder if there are enough people here for a meetup like the brits do. Would be nice!

Ciao a tutti!

I'd come to a meetup in Torino (I'm close to Grenoble in France :x)!

Peco

Well, let's just say that gaf tends to attract users from many places... since the level of conversation that can be found here is leaps and bounds above the endless flaming, whining, console wars typical of the "BIG ITALIAN FORUMS".

Who gives a shit about videogames anyway.

Dash Kappei

Ciao a tutti!

I'd be down for a meet-up, but I don't see that as feasible since we're probably scattered all around the peninsula and abroad

Love your food, sport cars and women.

I hope I could travel there at some point in my life.

Where are you from? We're very welcoming people you know :D

Who gives a shit about videogames anyway.

I do :p
Even tho I'm old, my friends don't give a shit about anything but PES and my fiancée puts up with it but doesn't really play anything with me (cue foreveralone.jpg@playing VGs). Sucks because I LOVE couch multiplayer, I hate online multi with randoms but I'm sure I'd enjoy playing online with friends a whole bunch.

Damn you guys, with all this talk of delicious food you're *almost* making me nostalgic :(
We don't get any of those delicatezze here!

Where is "here"? I've lived 5 years in the UK, a few months in the US, and some of the best Italian food I've had in my life (my mom's excluded) has been in restaurants abroad. Of course that needs a lot of research, so I never eat Italian food when I visit another country on holiday and such, I prefer to dabble in local cuisine.
I always shake my head in disappointment when friends just can't help it and order some pasta that you just *know* it'll be some overlooked disgusting shit full of nonsense sauce.

Where is "here"? I've lived 5 years in the UK, a few months in the US, and some of the best Italian food I've had in my life (my mom's excluded) has been in restaurants abroad. Of course that needs a lot of research, so I never eat Italian food when I visit another country on holiday and such, I prefer to dabble in local cuisine.
I always shake my head in disappointment when friends just can't help it and order some pasta that you just *know* it'll be some overlooked disgusting shit full of nonsense sauce.

Japan :p

And yes, it could be feasable to eat some Italian food around here by doing some research but as you said while being abroad it's better to try and eat local as much as possible so it's "I don't want to" rather than "I can't". Japan is a bit different than UK though as some ingredients are just hard to come by. And if you were to find them they would certainly be expensive!

I'm limiting Italian food at just eating pasta for dinner 2 or 3 times a week at home.

Copons

Japan :p

And yes, it could be feasable to eat some Italian food around here by doing some research but as you said while being abroad it's better to try and eat local as much as possible so it's "I don't want to" rather than "I can't". Japan is a bit different than UK though as some ingredients are just hard to come by. And if you were to find them they would certainly be expensive!

I'm limiting Italian food at just eating pasta for dinner 2 or 3 times a week at home.

Dunno where you live, but if you're in Tokyo, may I suggest you this pizzeria? https://www.facebook.com/NAPOLISTACA

If Gmaps got the address right, it should be SE of Roppongi (so towards Tokyo Tower IIRC) somewhere between Kamiyacho (Hibiya Line) and Akabanebashi (Oedo Line).

I never been there myself, but I saw a couple of photos of it by a Japanese friend of mine (who also lived for several years in Italy, so let's say he's accustomed to our unsatisfiable taste, and he swears it's the best Italian/Neapolitan pizza in Tokyo) and I must say I was utterly impressed.
It seemed an perfectly fair Neapolitan pizza, with all its main features in the right places (the crust, the softness, the burnings, the amount of mozzarella, etc.).

Dunno where you live, but if you're in Tokyo, may I suggest you this pizzeria? https://www.facebook.com/NAPOLISTACA

If Gmaps got the address right, it should be SE of Roppongi (so towards Tokyo Tower IIRC) somewhere between Kamiyacho (Hibiya Line) and Akabanebashi (Oedo Line).

I never been there myself, but I saw a couple of photos of it by a Japanese friend of mine (who also lived for several years in Italy, so let's say he's accustomed to our unsatisfiable taste, and he swears it's the best Italian/Neapolitan pizza in Tokyo) and I must say I was utterly impressed.
It seemed an perfectly fair Neapolitan pizza, with all its main features in the right places (the crust, the softness, the burnings, the amount of mozzarella, etc.).

Well, that place really does look interesting!
I'm a bit far from there but if I can convince some of my friends we might go to try it out sometime next year. I'm about to come back for the holidays so I'll have a chance to stock up on Italian food soon! :p

Thanks for the suggestion!

LeleSocho

Banned

Non mi sfottere Vampirolol, il suo W la PS4 è roba leggendaria... mi chiedo se il topic CAUNDAUN esiste ancora... bei tempi quelli ;__;

Top Bottom