• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

I got a question for you guys living in Italy.

What is it with the inclusion of English words? I was watching TG1 the other night (sorry, lol) and noticed some English words here and there. It always baffled me a bit, because I don't really understand why they won't use the Italian word.

Now I'm reading an article about the Raikkonen rumor on the Italian version of GPUpdate.net and there's the same.

"Continuano i rumors sul futuro di Kimi Raikkonen in bilico tra il rimanere in Lotus, andare alla Red Bull o tornare in Ferrari. Secondo i media finlandesi il campione del mondo 2007 si sarebbe già accordato per un suo clamoroso ritorno alla Ferrari. Verità o gossip di ferragosto?"

"Il gossip di ferragosto"? Do people really talk like that? Why not use the Italian equivalent?

It just seems really weird or rather distracting.

Inglese e' probabilmente una parta di la lingua adesso, sinonimo a giapponese. Perche' di globalizzazione.

(Buono o male...?)

What is it with the inclusion of English words? I was watching TG1 the other night (sorry, lol) and noticed some English words here and there. It always baffled me a bit, because I don't really understand why they won't use the Italian word.

Now I'm reading an article about the Raikkonen rumor on the Italian version of GPUpdate.net and there's the same.

"Continuano i rumors sul futuro di Kimi Raikkonen in bilico tra il rimanere in Lotus, andare alla Red Bull o tornare in Ferrari. Secondo i media finlandesi il campione del mondo 2007 si sarebbe già accordato per un suo clamoroso ritorno alla Ferrari. Verità o gossip di ferragosto?"

"Il gossip di ferragosto"? Do people really talk like that? Why not use the Italian equivalent?

It's so common I never even notice it.
There are a ton of English words that are part of everyday language by now, even when not talking about computer/internet stuff.

Things like welfare, spread, smartphone and others. Italy is way more laid back than Spain or France in that regard.

Inglese e' probabilmente una parta di la lingua adesso, sinonimo a giapponese. Perche' di globalizzazione.

(Buono o male...?)

It's so common I never even notice it.
There are a ton of English words that are part of everyday language by now, even when not talking about computer/internet stuff.

Things like welfare, spread, smartphone and others. Italy is way more laid back than Spain or France in that regard.

I get that you always have some foreign or English words in your language, because it's always evolving, but sometimes it feels like it just doesn't make sense.

" Perez, la McLaren necessita di un grande step"

un grande step? Why. :lol

Smart phone makes sense, because there isn't really a substitute for it, but welfare or spread?

neos

Well, english speaking people uses pizza or spaghetti or piano, which are all italian words. I can't see the problem

Well, english speaking people uses pizza or spaghetti or piano, which are all italian words. I can't see the problem

It's not really a problem, I'm simply not used to it and it gets a little bit confusing when you're using thee languages throughout the day. It just felt a bit like it's more common to use English words in Italian.

neos

It's not really a problem, I'm simply not used to it and it gets a little bit confusing when you're using thee languages throughout the day. It just felt a bit like it's more common to use English words in Italian.

Uh ok, i can see your point here.
Surely we use more english words than the english uses the italians one, no doubt about this.

Ciao :)

neos

(Buono o male...?)

How was my sentence, grammatically?

Well, i probably would have write:
"L'inglese ormai fa probabilmente parte della lingua (italiana),come il giapponese, a causa della globalizzazione".

But from your sentence i can't understand if you mean that the japanese uses english words like the italian does, or if the italian uses japanese words as well as the english ones.

In the first case it'd have been
"L'inglese ormai fa probabilmente parte della lingua (italiana),come di quella giapponese, a causa della globalizzazione".

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How was my sentence, grammatically?

Honestly, not so good. :lol

(Buono o male...?)

I guess you were trying to say "Some english words are part of the common language now, like in Japanese. Because of the globalization."

It should have been:
Alcune parole inglesi fanno parte della lingua comune, come in Giapponese, per via della globalizzazione.

Or

Alcune parole inglesi sono entrate a far parte della lingua comune, come in Giapponese, per colpa della globalizzazione.

Gossip and step are quite common, Rumors it's a new one. :lol
At least, I heard it for the first time on TV yesterday.

Well, i probably would have write:
"L'inglese ormai fa probabilmente parte della lingua (italiana),come il giapponese, a causa della globalizzazione".

But from your sentence i can't understand if you mean that the japanese uses english words like the italian does, or if the italian uses japanese words as well as the english ones.

In the first case it'd have been
"L'inglese ormai fa probabilmente parte della lingua (italiana),come di quella giapponese, a causa della globalizzazione".

Honestly, not so good. :lol

I guess you were trying to say "Some english words are part of the common language now, like in Japanese. Because of the globalization."

It should have been:
Alcune parole inglesi fanno parte della lingua comune, come in Giapponese, per via della globalizzazione.

Or

Alcune parole inglesi sono entrate a far parte della lingua comune, come in Giapponese, per colpa della globalizzazione.

Grazie mille!

EDIT:
Can you guys explain the literal meaning of the fare in your respective sentences? Is that just an idiomatic usage?

Manp

I get that you always have some foreign or English words in your language, because it's always evolving, but sometimes it feels like it just doesn't make sense.

" Perez, la McLaren necessita di un grande step"

un grande step? Why. :lol

Smart phone makes sense, because there isn't really a substitute for it, but welfare or spread?

it's just that it makes journalists feel smarter and one step above the reader.
i wouldn't trust Italian journalism to be in anyway representative of society as a whole tho.

it's just that it makes journalists feel smarter and one step above the reader.
i wouldn't trust Italian journalism to be in anyway representative of society as a whole tho.

I don't know, I may be broken for working in IT and knowing English since I was little but I too tend to use a lot of English words when I speak.
Even if there is an Italian counterpart.

I always say disc instead of disco, download/upload invece di scaricare/caricare, badwidth intead of larghezza di banda.
But that's also on other less technical things, I almost always greet in English for example :p

UrbanRats

Even still, you'd be hardpressed to find someone that says 'computatore' or 'calcolatore', instead of just 'computer'.
Even old people use 'computer'.

The last time i've heard someone say 'calcolatore', was in the dubbed version of 2001 A space odyssey.

So yeah, plenty of English words are simply part of common language.

brotkasten are you an English native speaker? Sometimes the choice of foreign loanwords in other languages can be a little bizarre, German also has a couple of head-scratchers.

Grazie mille!

EDIT:
Can you guys explain the literal meaning of the fare in your respective sentences? Is that just an idiomatic usage?

"to be a part of" is "fare parte" in Italian. Well it's "essere parte" too, in some cases. Mostly they're interchangeable, but with that phrase "fare parte" sounds more natural.

lefantome

I was in Venezia the past few days, what a GREAT city, loved it. I just arrived in Firenze and honestly it feels less alive then I thought it would. Part of the reason is the hostel though, there aren't any other people :/.

I am here with a friend ( a GAF-er as well...), we are here for like 5 days (I am a little bit afraid it is too long, but whatever), we would maybe like to visit some cities around Firenze as well, like Pisa and Siena. We mostly just like walking around and taking pictures. Any tips what we should see?

One semi-rant, no free WiFi anywhere... :(

Well this is because during the "ferragosto" week cities are deserted, everybody is on holiday so you can find only tourists.

I don't know very well florence but you should eat the lampredotto, visit giadini di boboli and enjoy the sunset view from piazzale michelangelo.

If you are coming to Pisa I suggest you to walk from the train station to piazza dei miracoli. It's hot but at least you will see the medieval city centre that is often miss by tourists. the city centre is a bit dirty but it's improving so please understand[cit.]
If you need more info send me an mp.

Siena is beautiful but I don't have a particular suggestion, try the ancient Nannini pasticceria and try some local sweets.

===============================================================

There are some italian words who looks english but they are of native origin. It's weird because some italians use it abroad lol.
I think that the use of english words has got wider thanks to the interwebz but we still have a strong use of local "languages/dialects/accents"

clockpunk

Hey ItalyGAF - my wife is moving over to Reggio for work in a few weeks - any advice for general everyday living in the south...? :) (Coming from Glasgow, I expect the climate to hit us like a hammer :p). I won't be able to make it over for a few months, but still... is anyone from around there, and can offer some tips?

lefantome

Hey ItalyGAF - my wife is moving over to Reggio for work in a few weeks - any advice for general everyday living in the south...? :) (Coming from Glasgow, I expect the climate to hit us like a hammer :p). I won't be able to make it over for a few months, but still... is anyone from around there, and can offer some tips?

we have two Reggios in Italy: Calabria and Emilia but only one is in the south.

Can't give you any help sorry

I have an odd question : which directors made, according to you guys, the best Italian movies ? I only know a few and would like to discover this cinema.

neos

I have an odd question : which directors made, according to you guys, the best Italian movies ? I only know a few and would like to discover this cinema.
First from the top of my mind is surely Federico Fellini,but i'm sure someone more expert about italian directors will give many other choices.
Avoid the Vanzina brothers.

Classics: Fellini, Antonioni, Pasolini (my personal favorite), Visconti, De Sica (father obviously)

Comedy: Risi (he made some drama movies though also, like Profumo Di Donna or Nel Nome Del Popolo Italiano which are incredible), Monicelli

Horror/Giallo: Bava, Fulci, Argento (at the beginning, don't even try his new ones)

Alive and active: Sorrentino, Sollima (check out his TV series Romanzo Criminale also, if it's available in US), Garrone, and surely I'm forgetting someone.

In fact, Taviani brothers. They're rather ancient but they made Cesare Deve Morire which I haven't seen yet sincerely, but is should be one of the best 2012 Italian movies. They're active since the beginning of time though.

Classics: Fellini, Antonioni, Pasolini (my personal favorite), Visconti, De Sica (father obviously)

Comedy: Risi (he made some drama movies though also, like Profumo Di Donna or Nel Nome Del Popolo Italiano which are incredible), Monicelli

Horror/Giallo: Bava, Fulci, Argento (at the beginning, don't even try his new ones)

Alive and active: Sorrentino, Sollima (check out his TV series Romanzo Criminale also, if it's available in US), Garrone, and surely I'm forgetting someone.

In fact, Taviani brothers. They're rather ancient but they made Cesare Deve Morire which I haven't seen yet sincerely, but is should be one of the best 2012 Italian movies. They're active since the beginning of time though.
you forgot bertolucci with the last emperor

UrbanRats

The fuck guys... Sergio Leone.

Anyway, as of recent ones, i really loved La ragazza del lago, by Molaioli.
Don't know if it's available outside of Italy, but it's worth a look.

Not familiar with the area but I can give you two advices:

1) it will be very hot from May to October so brace for it :p
2) it is an area with high seismic risk, so when choosing where to live check for anti seismic buildings if possible.

I'm not particularly knolwledgeable about movies but I can recommend Johnny Stecchino from Roberto Benigni all the way, even if probably one has to be familiar with certain aspects of Italian culture to fully enjoy it.

clockpunk

Not familiar with the area but I can give you two advices:

1) it will be very hot from May to October so brace for it :p
2) it is an area with high seismic risk, so when choosing where to live check for anti seismic buildings if possible.

Haha, the temperature shift will be a little shock, I should imagine - but cheers for the heads up on the seismic aspect, had no idea that was a potential factor.

Celine

A italian horror movie I liked was La casa dalle finestre che ridono by Pupi Avati.

A film that's not purely an horror but that I've found great was Il demonio by Brunello Rondi.
mmmh this scene seems familiar (but it predate that movie)...

IL%2520DEMONIO%2520000%2520piccola.jpg

Also my favorite movie directed by Bava was Rabbid dogs (Cani arrabbiati), such a masterpiece.

Thanks for all your answers! I knew a lot of them by name but wasn't really sure who was great. Well I'll try to find all I can by them and will let you know what I thought!

Dreaver

Well this is because during the "ferragosto" week cities are deserted, everybody is on holiday so you can find only tourists.

I don't know very well florence but you should eat the lampredotto, visit giadini di boboli and enjoy the sunset view from piazzale michelangelo.

If you are coming to Pisa I suggest you to walk from the train station to piazza dei miracoli. It's hot but at least you will see the medieval city centre that is often miss by tourists. the city centre is a bit dirty but it's improving so please understand[cit.]
If you need more info send me an mp.

Siena is beautiful but I don't have a particular suggestion, try the ancient Nannini pasticceria and try some local sweets.
Thanks for reply, I didn't have time to reply until now. We went to Pisa (also downtown...), Siena and San Gimignano. Pisa was pretty cool, but I don't think I will ever visit it again though. Siena and San Gimignano were REALLY beautiful, especially the great views of Tuscany. We spent two days at Florence, which was good I think (I'm not that much into art, though I did saw the statue of David!).

I have to say that Italy has some of the most beautiful towns in the world. :)

Copons

Kinda off topic here, but I'm thinking of building a gaming PC and I'm following the related thread in Gaming, and I'm wondering if there are some good Italian stores (web or not, if in Roma) where I can buy components at affordable prices.

Kinda off topic here, but I'm thinking of building a gaming PC and I'm following the related thread in Gaming, and I'm wondering if there are some good Italian stores (web or not, if in Roma) where I can buy components at affordable prices.

As far as web stores go, the only ones I can think of are Eprice.it (used a couple of times, good service and good prices) and GigaPC.it (never used but I heard about it from friends and used their configurator a couple of times out of curiosity).

I've been quite out of touch with PC building in the last few years, don't know much about it unfortunately.

Sentenza

I used to hear good things about http://www.tiburcc.it/
That said, I'm not really sure they still have a good reputation right now, nor if there are better competitors around.

UrbanRats

I built mine using Trovaprezzi, and going for the cheaper option with still a decent rating.
Places like BPMpower, ProKoo, RedCoon, or even Amazon, are all fine.
Also, Drako.it for the case, they really have a great selection.

Copons

I used to hear good things about http://www.tiburcc.it/
That said, I'm not really sure they still have a good reputation right now, nor if there are better competitors around.

TiburCC is actually my local store of reference. When I need to buy something fast and dirty, I just go there as usually they're just a couple of € more expensive than online stores.

Fact is, their selection is nowhere near what I need (trying to build a PC using only Steam PC thread as a reference).

BTW thank you all, I'm gonna check every single one of the places you've suggested

colui

TiburCC is actually my local store of reference. When I need to buy something fast and dirty, I just go there as usually they're just a couple of € more expensive than online stores.

Fact is, their selection is nowhere near what I need (trying to build a PC using only Steam PC thread as a reference).

BTW thank you all, I'm gonna check every single one of the places you've suggested

Check http://www.e-key.it and http://www.prokoo.com too, it's where I buy most of my PC stuff.

Ciao ciao ragazzi !

I am not Italian, but I've been living in the country for almost four months now, and am staying at least until the end of november.

Any of you live in Rome ?

Nothing special at the moment, was just asking out of curiosity to be honest.

I'd like to know some good aperitivos maybe. Best one I've found so far is Momart, near Piazza Bologna, and I also liked Les Affiches, near Navona. Are there any other good ones ? I've got a friend visiting next week-end and I'd like to show her around a little bit. I know where to take here when it comes to tourist stuff, but for food, I'm kinda lost.

Copons

Nothing special at the moment, was just asking out of curiosity to be honest.

I'd like to know some good aperitivos maybe. Best one I've found so far is Momart, near Piazza Bologna, and I also liked Les Affiches, near Navona. Are there any other good ones ? I've got a friend visiting next week-end and I'd like to show her around a little bit. I know where to take here when it comes to tourist stuff, but for food, I'm kinda lost.

I'm not really into aperitivos anymore so I actually don't know what to suggest.

Instead, regarding food in general... there are way too many addresses I could tell you. :D
Where are you staying and/or where do you think you'll take your friend?

I live near San Paolo.

I'll show her around the city, and maybe go to Castel Gandolfo if the weather's ok one afternoon. Lots of stuff to see in the center. I'll probably start from Circo Massimo, and walk all the way to Villa Borghese.

Copons

I live near San Paolo.

I'll show her around the city, and maybe go to Castel Gandolfo if the weather's ok one afternoon. Lots of stuff to see in the center. I'll probably start from Circo Massimo, and walk all the way to Villa Borghese.

I'm don't really know that area (I live litterally at the other side of the city), but I know for sure that there is a really good fried fish restaurant (well... it's more a street food place) in Garbatella, that's fairly near to San Paolo.
It doesn't really have a name (outside it says "Friggitoria prendi e porta via", basically meaning "take away" :D ) but it's address is Piazza S. Eurosia 4 and it should be fairly easy to find, as it's near a wine bar called "Acino Brillo" (where you can have an aperitivo, but I don't know about its quality).

Near there you can also find a Roman restaurant, "Tanto pe' magnà".
It's not bad but maybe it'd be better to go to "Piatto Romano" in Testaccio or to "Da Enzo" in Ostiense.

The common route from Circo Massimo to Villa Borghese (through Fori Imperiali and via del Corso) basically doesn't offer very much in terms of good food, as there are mostly touristic traps. Well, there should be some good places for sure, but I really don't know them.

But if you think of going to Trastevere, I totally suggest to go to "Bir & Fud" for a good pizza and then to "Ma che siete venuti a fà", a small bar on the other side of the road. Both places are renowned for their exceptional selection of handcrafted beers.

Still around the center, in Monti (near S. Maria Maggiore church) there is my all time favorite ice cream: "Fatamorgana".

Top Bottom