• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm confused with Milan. Is milano centrale different from Centrale F.S.?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Then I'm really confused and it's because of my hotel.

My wife arrives in Malpensa. the hotel is the hotel garda, close to centrale FS. Is there a train that will take her directly to centrale fs?

My hotel says she needs to take a bus from centrale. but if she's in centrale fs she just walks. so confusing.

Rikkun

Then I'm really confused and it's because of my hotel.

My wife arrives in Malpensa. the hotel is the hotel garda, close to centrale FS. Is there a train that will take her directly to centrale fs?

My hotel says she needs to take a bus from centrale. but if she's in centrale fs she just walks. so confusing.

ctuiE5c.jpg
Yeah, is that's the hotel I don't think she'll need a bus.

KingGondo

Banned
So guys, my wife and I just got back from a trip to Rome and it was absolutely awesome.

Loved the food, the wine, the people, the sights, the culture... if only I spoke the language! :)

It definitely won't be our last trip to Italy. Next time we'd like to see more of the country (we only had time for 5 days in Roma and a side-trip to Vesuvio & Pompeii) so any suggestions are welcome. Florence is probably next-highest on our list.

magiustra

So guys, my wife and I just got back from a trip to Rome and it was absolutely awesome.

Loved the food, the wine, the people, the sights, the culture... if only I spoke the language! :)

It definitely won't be our last trip to Italy. Next time we'd like to see more of the country (we only had time for 5 days in Roma and a side-trip to Vesuvio & Pompeii) so any suggestions are welcome. Florence is probably next-highest on our list.

Florence, for sure: is awesome. And Siena, please: it's small and stunning. If you want some mountains & valley, Val d'Aosta in the north west is amazing (and it's a completely different Italy from the one that you experienced). Italy is fab.

KingGondo

Banned
Florence, for sure: is awesome. And Siena, please: it's small and stunning. If you want some mountains & valley, Val d'Aosta in the north west is amazing (and it's a completely different Italy from the one that you experienced). Italy is fab.
Grazie!

That sounds like our speed. I don't think the typical tourist destinations of Milan and Venice will interest my wife and I very much.

We got a Siena recommendation from a Dutch traveler we met on our trip. It'll definitely go on our list.

KingGondo

Banned
Siena simply is from another world. Very few cities gave me the same sense of constant awe just by simply wandering around it by foot.
Sounds great. I really enjoy wandering (one of our favorite aspects of Rome was that there are virtually infinite back alleys and sidestreets).

In what other city can you wander around, find an shop with sambuca and limoncello distilled by monks, and next door find a shop that refurbishes old musical instruments whose owner cares for the local stray cat population?

It didn't even feel real. Are you sure they don't set up shops like that just for tourists? ;)

magiustra

If I may dare a hint, try to avoid Siena during the two days (one in July, the other in August) of the Palio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena

It's a great experience, from what I've heard, but it's also complete madness.

Oh, I forgot to hint you toward Lucca, another fantastic old city in Toscana.

And what about the islands? Sicily is... is... unique? Unique. And you will be stunned to death by the food. Ask for a "granita al pistacchio", please :)

KingGondo

Banned
If I may dare a hint, try to avoid Siena during the two days (one in July, the other in August) of the Palio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena

It's a great experience, from what I've heard, but it's also complete madness.

Oh, I forgot to hint you toward Lucca, another fantastic old city in Toscana.

And what about the islands? Sicily is... is... unique? Unique. And you will be stunned to death by the food. Ask for a "granita al pistacchio", please :)
Lucca is also on our list. My wife has a friend who lives there. We planned on meeting up with her in Florence, but we decided to just stay in Rome since a daytrip to Florence couldn't possibly do it justice.

I think we'll most likely try to come in September again. The weather was perfect in Rome (80s F during the day, 60s at night). I'd imagine it's a bit cooler in Tuscany?

Thanks for the Palio warning, although it looks like something I should witness during my lifetime.

Sicily also sounds really interesting and... unique. ;) I really want to check it out someday.

I definitely plan on coming back to Italy as many times as I can. Such a fascinating place.

0OoO0

Just arrived in Rome and my camera broke. Does anyone know of a good camera store in Rome? Any big chain store I should go to to get a good price. Looking to purchase a mirrorless camera.

Rafy

Oh i'd love that! When is it? Late October?
I could plan in advance and come back from Uni that weekend.

Yes, it's from the 24th to the 26th of October. I just signed up for my press pass, now on to tell our photographer he has to sign-up too.

BTW they are expanding the Retro area, It'll have it's own booth and it's going to be larger than last year.

Now I need to check if the SMAU sign-up opened too, last year I had a lovely chat with the Dell CEO

Burger

I recently got back from a week in Italy. 2 days in Rome, 3 days in Amalfi.

Rome was lovely, and I had the best pizza in my life in Amalfi.

The amount of tourists in Amalfi and the coast in general was unbearable though, I don't think I would go back. Driving to Positano was absolute madness, so crazy that we actually had a shitty time. I don't know how the locals put up with it. Plus the restaurant we ate at was shit and the staff were pretty rude.

Crazy how many Americans were there, coach loads, ship loads, it was mental.

I dissuaded my girlfriend from buying any ceramics in Amalfi, it all looked like it was mass produced in a giant factory elsewhere.

Copons

I recently got back from a week in Italy. 2 days in Rome, 3 days in Amalfi.

Rome was lovely, and I had the best pizza in my life in Amalfi.

The amount of tourists in Amalfi and the coast in general was unbearable though, I don't think I would go back. Driving to Positano was absolute madness, so crazy that we actually had a shitty time. I don't know how the locals put up with it. Plus the restaurant we ate at was shit and the staff were pretty rude.

Crazy how many Americans were there, coach loads, ship loads, it was mental.

I dissuaded my girlfriend from buying any ceramics in Amalfi, it all looked like it was mass produced in a giant factory elsewhere.

Yikes, I went to the Costiera by car the first time 10 years ago, and I go there at least once-twice a year now that my girlfriend is from Salerno, and every single time I hate the whole driving experience.
I've actually never been able to find a parking spot anywhere near Positano, and I only got to visit it taking a ferry from Salerno.

This said, every time I keep repeating in my head that it's not possible to do anyway different, there is just not enough space to build better road or more parking lots.

Thankfully, it's an astounding place and, together with Napoli, the main reason I gained thousands of pounds in the last couple of years. :'(

Burger

I've actually never been able to find a parking spot anywhere near Positano, and I only got to visit it taking a ferry from Salerno.

This said, every time I keep repeating in my head that it's not possible to do anyway different, there is just not enough space to build better road or more parking lots.

If I had known what it was like in terms of roads I wouldn't have gone.

The traffic wasn't the worst thing though, it was the people. Coach loads of people spilling out into the tiny town. It absolutely horrendous. Totally spoiled my time there, we even left early.

I naively imagined a quiet fishing town with a few tourists chilling out enjoying themselves. It was full of Americans though, talking too loudly in that way that only Americans seem to do.

I'm sure I heard more American accents in our time in Italy than Italian ones. We asked our Airbnb host in Amalfi if the site worked well for her and she said there are many people who make additional demands when they arrive and then complain when they cannot be met. We casually asked if they were American and she burst out laughing saying yes, of course they were.

It's not a slight on Americans, but they seem to behave unlike any other visiting populace that I've ever observed.

One other hilarious anecdote, a group of four 20 somethings were on the bus with us when one of them asked their friend "So do you think the coffee in Italy is any better than Starbucks?"

KingGondo

Banned
I'm sure I heard more American accents in our time in Italy than Italian ones. We asked our Airbnb host in Amalfi if the site worked well for her and she said there are many people who make additional demands when they arrive and then complain when they cannot be met. We casually asked if they were American and she burst out laughing saying yes, of course they were.

It's not a slight on Americans, but they seem to behave unlike any other visiting populace that I've ever observed.
We're spoiled, no doubt about it. Many Americans expect the world to conform to our language and our ideas of comfort and convenience.

I felt like many people were there more to take pictures of themselves in front of the Colosseum than to actually learn about ancient Rome and enrich themselves.

I ran into my share of "ugly Americans" too (a family from Michigan that spoke glowingly of their previous night's dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe comes to mind), but thankfully it wasn't as bad as what you described.

You should spend more time in Rome next time, I had a fantastic experience there.

One other hilarious anecdote, a group of four 20 somethings were on the bus with us when one of them asked their friend "So do you think the coffee in Italy is any better than Starbucks?"
Haha, I'm surprised they weren't strung up in the town square!

Rikkun

é per questo che stiamo andando a Milano!

rikkun per favore

abbiamo presso biglietti nel anello blu, ti suona come una buona idea portare mia maglia di Tevez? :p

Si di solito tra squadre del nord non ci si ammazza, vai tranquillo. Se poi perdiamo ti investo io appena esci, ormai so che faccia hai.

(Io me la vedo dal divano come tutte le altre fottute partite, esser poveri nel 2014 e scroccare SkyGO a mia madre)
Pino Insegno doing black face on RAI1, smfh.

I'd be curious to hear about what you've had to eat and where.

Out of all the americans I've met here (two dozens, more or less), only one could tell good food from turist trap frozen shit.

Rikkun

Out of all the americans I've met here (two dozens, more or less), only one could tell good food from turist trap frozen shit.

That's probably because foreigners (mostly Americans) don't eat Italian food while in the States, since most recipes are modified to follow their taste. So they might even prefer the frozen shit.

inb4 usa bombing italy

Very late PS: Pulga you beautiful spaniard I want you up there every fucking match we play.

KingGondo

Banned

Our favorite place was Su & Giu, a little place on Via Tacito near our B&B.

Quiet little place, great reviews on TripAdvisor, full of both native Romans with a few tourists mixed in.

Food was absolutely fantastic. Their signature antipasto was a bruschetta with the most intensely-flavored sun-dried tomatoes I've ever had along with a house-made pork sausage... Thinking about it now still makes my mouth water.

Had their spaghetti with garlic, olive oil and red pepper on our first night... Beautiful dish and very simple, and it was taken over the top with a dash of pecorino. Furthest thing I've had from the typical Olive Garden "Italian" pasta fare we have in the US.

Also had an incredible house-made gnocchi alla bolognese. It seriously ruined all other gnocchi for me. Little pillows of deliciousness with a delicious meat sauce.

We also tried the fettuccine with fresh Lucchesi porcini mushrooms. Absolutely wonderful. The mushrooms just melt in your mouth.

Finished it off with their chianti-stewed beef, which was incredibly intense and tender.

Anyone who's in Rome or plans on going there should check this place out. The staff was incredibly friendly and most of them also spoke good English.

Honestly didn't have a bad meal while I was there. Even the worst pasta we had was quite a bit better than 90% of the stuff we have in the US.

I'd like to think we did pretty well for a couple of tourists. ;)

Some of you may remember that some time ago I was beaten up and robbed of my cell phone. Now, thanks to Cerberus, my ol' trusty Xperia S has started to send some signals, and I was able to pinpoint its location in, guess where, Marocco:

catturaxperiapruib.png

I also have a photo of the new owner, and all the information related to his sim card. I'm really tempted to try to contact his provider and get it back somehow, but I realize that it's quite an improbable venture. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with bricking it.

Rikkun

Some of you may remember that some time ago I was beaten up and robbed of my cell phone. Now, thanks to Cerberus, my ol' trusty Xperia S has started to send some signals, and I was able to pinpoint its location in, guess where, Marocco:

catturaxperiapruib.png

I also have a photo of the new owner, and all the information related to his sim card. I'm really tempted to try to contact his provider and get it back somehow, but I realize that it's quite an improbable venture. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with bricking it.

Marocco. Seriously? Wow.
I remember your story, if I were you I'd want my phone to EXPLODE in the hands of the new owner.

Yes I'm a mean child.

http://abload.de/img/catturaxperiapruib.png[IMG]

I also have a photo of the new owner, and all the information related to his sim card. I'm really tempted to try to contact his provider and get it back somehow, but I realize that it's quite an improbable venture. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with bricking it.[/QUOTE]

Related: [url]http://lifeofastrangerwhostolemyphone.tumblr.com/[/url]

catturaxperiapruib.png

Moroccan carrier won't help you.
Best thing to do is to turn it into a brick, remotely, if that's possible with cerberus.

And even if you succeed, it costs like 10€ (maybe even less) over there to fix a bricked smartphone.

Sorry.

UrbanRats

Sentenza

Niente di cui essere particolarmente sorpresi.
Questa non è nemmeno una "deviazione dai sani principi" per la Lega, è la loro essenza.
Sono sempre stati un partito di bifolchi ignoranti fondato su principi paleonazisti.

UrbanRats

Niente di cui essere particolarmente sorpresi.
Questa non è nemmeno una "deviazione dai sani principi" per la Lega, è la loro essenza.
Sono sempre stati un partito di bifolchi ignoranti fondato su principi paleonazisti.

Difatti, non mi sorprende neanche che un partito del genere esista, ma mi deprime che abbia così tanta trazione e da così tanto tempo.

Rikkun

Dov'è che finisce la democrazia, quando non sei più libero di proporre una multa per pubbliche effusioni omosessuali e lo schedamento dei suddetti, senza alcuna ripercussione?

/s.

Difatti, non mi sorprende neanche che un partito del genere esista, ma mi deprime che abbia così tanta trazione e da così tanto tempo.

image.php

Urba ho fatto solo adesso il collegamento che sei la stessa persona che posta nel thread di Bosman.
Bella.

Rafy

Hey guys, I proposed this about a month ago but I'll repost it since it's almost time now.

I was thinking that if there are enough GAFers going to Games Week this weekend we could arrange the first Italian GAF meetup.

So are there any of you going and are any of you willing to have a meetup?

Herr K

Banned
Il prossimo mese vado a Roma per 4 giorni. Arrivo mercoledì notte e torno domenica mattina. Dove vado, ragazzi? Non mi piacerebbe di stare tutto il tempo con gli altri studenti Erasmus.

Top Bottom