• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

carnefrisca

Neo Member
In my region, Puglia or Apulia

Pasticciotto
Pasticciotto_galatina.jpg

Frisella
CIMG4736.JPG

Minchiareddhi
13.JPG

And the beatyful cities and sea
Basilica_di_Santa_Croce.jpg

800px-Torre_Sant'Andrea_(Lecce).jpg

lefantome

Siena > Firenze.
Unless you're looking for something specific (Uffizi and the like)

:eek:mg:

No way! ;)

My wife planned the trip around Lake Como, Venice, and the Tuscany area. She loves the hill towns. I've been looking for some nice Gardens, Fountains, Parks. I'm starting to get excited.

Como is amazing! I hope she planned more than a week, that's a lot of stuff to see and some hours lost on the train/car

Howdy Italia-GAF, a friend of mine linked me this regarding the Sony conference.
Found it incredibly appropriate :)

Corazzata Potemkin = DRM
Fantozzi = Jack Tretton/Sony

ROTFL

We have made really funny movie in the past. Not anymore :(

In my region, Puglia or Apulia

awesome!

Selinunte, Sicily
8389315739_f422e2c7d6_b.jpg

TCRS

Banned
Whenever I see this thread I start humming this Caesar III track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7UL2Dnyf1I

I've only been once to Italy. We visited Florence (so beautiful), Pisa and San Gimignano. We stayed at Marina di Massa. Florence at sunset is just.. stunning. I have to visit Florence again, but would also like to see Rome of course.

So it's pretty much official now. I'll be leaving Italy for a few years in about 10 days.
First stop: Japan.

The plan is to study and work part time for one year and work full time for another.
After that, depending on how I'm feeling about it I might move to North America (San Francisco, Seattle or Vancouver) or to the UK for some more time.

There are a lot of things I'm going to miss about this place (food and people) and a lot of other things I'm not going to miss AT ALL (politics, TV and more people).
Take care of the place while I'm away guys, ok?

So compatrioti, anyone playing TLOU? I'd like to know how the italian dubbing is done

One of the bad things is that because of the move I won't be able to play this until January at best :(
Japanese rooms are very small, I won't be able to have a TV or a console for a while.
Good thing I have quite the PSP backlog :p

BluWacky

Italia-GAF, do you give food advice?

I'm spending a week in Italy in a few weeks' time and I've already planned out what I'm doing - I'm a Classics teacher, so I'll be spending three days in Naples for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri etc and a couple of days in Rome to do the Colosseum, the Palatine, the Forum etc.

I know Naples is a hive of scum so I need to be careful, and I have a pretty good idea of how to get around everywhere in Naples and Rome on public transport etc. But I'm not sure what I'm going to do about food in either place - I'm travelling on my own, so I'm not concerned about always going to sit down restaurants, but I just don't really know where to start.

Obviously I like (proper) pizza and pasta, and love risotto, but is there anything in particular I should be looking out for in terms of quick lunches and dinners that your bog standard Englishman won't think of?

Octopus salad? I'm just throwing random things out, tbh.

Hey, do you guys know of any Italian sites that are very up to date on gaming news? Like, I could find the same content I would find on Polygon or IGN?

LeleSocho

Banned
So it's pretty much official now. I'll be leaving Italy for a few years in about 10 days.
First stop: Japan.

The plan is to study and work part time for one year and work full time for another.
After that, depending on how I'm feeling about it I might move to North America (San Francisco, Seattle or Vancouver) or to the UK for some more time.

There are a lot of things I'm going to miss about this place (food and people) and a lot of other things I'm not going to miss AT ALL (politics, TV and more people).
Take care of the place while I'm away guys, ok?

Good luck living my dream. Facci sapere come va

Italia GAF with the new layout! :D

I was in Rome the other day, they told me it wasn't hot... LIARS!!! I almost melted!
And almost got ran over three times, but that's another story :3

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Are there any Milanese Gaffers up in this thread?

I asked GAF for a restaurant tip last time I went to Milan, and the suggested restaurant that I went to ended up being totally amaaaazing, but that one seems to have closed down now, unfortunately.

So I will be taking my parents to Milan at the end of next week and was hoping for a new restaurant recommendation. It'll be my Dad's first time ever in Italy and he is a huge fan of authentic Italian food. Anyone know a great restaurant in Milan that is not to be missed? Pretty much any price range is ok.

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

Yasir

Hiya guys,

Need your help :)

I've booked a weekend off for me and my wife to go to Venice (we are from the UK), we're getting there at around 9:30pm on a Saturday and leaving at around 9:00pm on Monday; so a very very short break. We are staying in Lido (Villa Delle Palme).

I just need some advice on how to best spend our time. What should we prioritise and do.

Thank you very much.

Krelian91

Are there any Milanese Gaffers up in this thread?

I asked GAF for a restaurant tip last time I went to Milan, and the suggested restaurant that I went to ended up being totally amaaaazing, but that one seems to have closed down now, unfortunately.

So I will be taking my parents to Milan at the end of next week and was hoping for a new restaurant recommendation. It'll be my Dad's first time ever in Italy and he is a huge fan of authentic Italian food. Anyone know a great restaurant in Milan that is not to be missed? Pretty much any price range is ok.

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

There is one amazing restaurant called "Al Matarel" where they cook traditional Milanese specialties, went there with my family once and it was amazing. It's pretty expensive though, but you said that any price range is ok so it should not be a problem. The restaurant though is a bit small so it might get kinda hot, especially if there are many people there.
http://www.milanomia.com/VIA/CORSOGARIBALDI/ALMATAREL/ALMATAREL.htm

Pro-tip: Try the rostin negaa.

soqquatto

There is one amazing restaurant called "Al Matarel" where they cook traditional Milanese specialties, went there with my family once and it was amazing. It's pretty expensive though, but you said that any price range is ok so it should not be a problem. The restaurant though is a bit small so it might get kinda hot, especially if there are many people there.
http://www.milanomia.com/VIA/CORSOGARIBALDI/ALMATAREL/ALMATAREL.htm

Pro-tip: Try the rostin negaa.

I would also suggest a no-brainer: Trattoria Milanese in Via Santa Marta 11. it's not cheap, it's really "old-fashioned milanese" and in my opinion it's really good.

Yasir

Hiya guys,

Need your help :)

I've booked a weekend off for me and my wife to go to Venice (we are from the UK), we're getting there at around 9:30pm on a Saturday and leaving at around 9:00pm on Monday; so a very very short break. We are staying in Lido (Villa Delle Palme).

I just need some advice on how to best spend our time. What should we prioritise and do.

Thank you very much.

Anyone? I'd really appreciate it :)

Ironmask

Anyone? I'd really appreciate it :)

first thing first, waste a whole day getting lost on Venice' centre. Away from piazza San Marco the city offers the best with its "glimpses" or scorci.
About San Marco, the best is to visit it in the early hours of the morning (with a good coffee in a bar) or the evening, when the mass of tourists fade away. The cathedral is free to entry but i suggest you to book your visit here (just 1.50€ each):
http://www.venetoinside.com/it/basilica_di_san_marco/

The trip to Murano and Burano is a must but it's an hour away using the boats (only Vaporetto, don't use anything else) so plan accordingly.

some random museums' stuff:
MUVE now there's a Manet event
Jewish Museum of Venice
The Peggy Guggenheim Museum

I can't help you for the restaurants' part - IMO they're all tourists' traps (cold spaghetti, overcharged menu etc...)

also Venice's citizens are racists keep that in mind

Somax

Thank you :)

Racists :( I'm brown and don a very short beard.

Don't worry, racism in Italy towards tourists trascends colour.
It's just a binary situation:
- it's a worrying colour (eg: asian, african, middle eastern?) -> fear and random hatred
- it's a white person -> try to fuck them in every possible way

Visiting Rome in few weeks.

Tell me all the cool nerdy places to visit and buy stuff from Italia GAF!

Record store and food recommendations are also appreciated. :)

Krelian91

Visiting Rome in few weeks.

Tell me all the cool nerdy places to visit and buy stuff from Italia GAF!

Record store and food recommendations are also appreciated. :)

Go to eat here: http://www.anticaosteriarugantino.com/

You will thank me later.

Enjoy the most beautiful city in the world, although be careful, romans might not have the same opinion about traffic lights that you have, so be very very careful whenever you cross a road.

Tonino Accolla died today :(

He was the Italian voice actor for a huge number of high profile voices such as Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey and Homer Simpson.

Damn, I'm gonna miss him.

lefantome

He was the Italian voice actor for a huge number of high profile voices such as Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey and Homer Simpson.

At this point even if they were to film Dumb and Dumber 2 it would never be the same :(

RIP

we had fantastic voice actors in the past, now there are few left. He was awesome, you should hear his Homer Simpsons

UrbanRats

Not a super fan of his dramatic roles (i'm thinking of Leon) but he was undoubtedly fantastic as Homer, Eddie Murphy and Jim Carrey.

Too bad in the more recent years he had completely lost it, especially his Homer was gone after like season 15 or whatever.

Still, respect for the man, as much as i hate dubbing, he was great in comedic roles.

Mr.Ock

His Homer Simpson is legendary. For me it may be the only case where dubbed>original (Accolla > Castellaneta)

sikkinixx

Buonasera Italia GAF. I'm in Italy for 5 weeks and I wanted to grab a sim for my unlocked iPhone. What provider should I use? I mostly want it for data (maps 90% of the time).

Buonasera Italia GAF. I'm in Italy for 5 weeks and I wanted to grab a sim for my unlocked iPhone. What provider should I use? I mostly want it for data (maps 90% of the time).

Where are you from? I'm not well informed in the matter but I don't know if you can obtain a SIM from an Italian carrier without providing an Italian ID or residence certificate.
You could try asking in one of the major companies' stores: Tim, Vodafone and Wind.

I'll try to look into their websites to see what they offer.

EDIT: I checked but I couldn't find anything, sorry. There's not even an English version of their websites. And I was criticizing Japanese mobile providers...

So, Berlusconi is doing 4 years? (though not really).

No, 3 are remitted, and he is more than 70 yo, so he will make a year in house arrest - with bunga bunga every night.

The most important thing is the deprivation from public offices must be recalculated again, but is a question of months.

Goodbye Letta government, you basically just did nothing...

UrbanRats

No, 3 are remitted, and he is more than 70 yo, so he will make a year in house arrest - with bunga bunga every night.

The most important thing is the deprivation from public offices must be recalculated again, but is a question of months.

Goodbye Letta government, you basically just did nothing...

Yeah i opened a thread about it.

Too bad we'll never have the satisfaction of seeing him with handcuffs.

soqquatto

vodafone is your best option all things considered but 3 allows tethering and is cheaper though has slightly less coverage (especially outside cities). still a good option, probably the best if yoy're sticking to venice/florence/rome the usual stuff. you don't need italian ID of course, just your valid passport/ID card (not an US driving licence).

Dyno

Real talk. I even think that il duomo di Siena is way more beautiful than the one in Firenze.

I will defend Florence until I die. Siena is a lovely place. It's a terrific way to spend a day, maybe two days tops if the horseraces are taking place.

You seriously need two weeks minimum to break the seal on Florence; The Flower of the Renaissance. If you spent a day at the Uffizi you couldn't see it all. The Tomb of the Medici, Palazo Pitti, other Medici mansions and many georgeous churces and cathedrals. Florentines live in history, it's all around them.

The shopping and restaurants that surround the Piaza de la Repulica is something I still never tire off, even after several visits. Last time there I ate in a restaurant that had opened in 8 AD in the walls of a Roman stadium. It was selected because of it's cool basement lined with smooth stones from the Arno that would keep a temperature of 10 C. It was laid down in 1 AD. It was a mind-blowing experience.

The thing with Florence and Sienna is they went to war and eventually Florence won. Sienna's Duomo was never completed. One of the septs was where the parking lot is now. Sienna did well for a time but the town was eventually bled dry. It shows in places. In Florence the money was spent to create something truly unique and fantastic.

lefantome

I will defend Florence until I die. Siena is a lovely place. It's a terrific way to spend a day, maybe two days tops if the horseraces are taking place.

You seriously need two weeks minimum to break the seal on Florence; The Flower of the Renaissance. If you spent a day at the Uffizi you couldn't see it all. The Tomb of the Medici, Palazo Pitti, other Medici mansions and many georgeous churces and cathedrals. Florentines live in history, it's all around them.

The shopping and restaurants that surround the Piaza de la Repulica is something I still never tire off, even after several visits. Last time there I ate in a restaurant that had opened in 8 AD in the walls of a Roman stadium. It was selected because of it's cool basement lined with smooth stones from the Arno that would keep a temperature of 10 C. It was laid down in 1 AD. It was a mind-blowing experience.

The thing with Florence and Sienna is they went to war and eventually Florence won. Sienna's Duomo was never completed. One of the septs was where the parking lot is now. Sienna did well for a time but the town was eventually bled dry. It shows in places. In Florence the money was spent to create something truly unique and fantastic.

the façade of Santa Maria del Fiore was completed in 1887

Also is "SieNa" with one "n"

Dreaver

I was in Venezia the past few days, what a GREAT city, loved it. I just arrived in Firenze and honestly it feels less alive then I thought it would. Part of the reason is the hostel though, there aren't any other people :/.

I am here with a friend ( a GAF-er as well...), we are here for like 5 days (I am a little bit afraid it is too long, but whatever), we would maybe like to visit some cities around Firenze as well, like Pisa and Siena. We mostly just like walking around and taking pictures. Any tips what we should see?

One semi-rant, no free WiFi anywhere... :(

UrbanRats

I was in Venezia the past few days, what a GREAT city, loved it. I just arrived in Firenze and honestly it feels less alive then I thought it would. Part of the reason is the hostel though, there aren't any other people :/.

I am here with a friend ( a GAF-er as well...), we are here for like 5 days (I am a little bit afraid it is too long, but whatever), we would maybe like to visit some cities around Firenze as well, like Pisa and Siena. We mostly just like walking around and taking pictures. Any tips what we should see?

One semi-rant, no free WiFi anywhere... :(

Welcome to Italy.

If you're in Florence, basically forget about any interesting night life, the city is good if you're interested in art and museums, otherwise, not much to do.

Anyway, there are a lot of places to see, but my suggestion is, go to the "Museo della storia delle scienze" (museum of sciences' history), in "Piazza De Giudici 1", to see...

... Galileo's mummified middle finger.
Yeah science!

http://www.museogalileo.it/en/visit.html

---

In other news:
i1zz4NVELEGPG.JPG

Oh boy..

I got a question for you guys living in Italy.

What is it with the inclusion of English words? I was watching TG1 the other night (sorry, lol) and noticed some English words here and there. It always baffled me a bit, because I don't really understand why they won't use the Italian word.

Now I'm reading an article about the Raikkonen rumor on the Italian version of GPUpdate.net and there's the same.

"Continuano i rumors sul futuro di Kimi Raikkonen in bilico tra il rimanere in Lotus, andare alla Red Bull o tornare in Ferrari. Secondo i media finlandesi il campione del mondo 2007 si sarebbe già accordato per un suo clamoroso ritorno alla Ferrari. Verità o gossip di ferragosto?"

"Il gossip di ferragosto"? Do people really talk like that? Why not use the Italian equivalent?

It just seems really weird or rather distracting.

Top Bottom