• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italian Constitutional Referendum 2016 - Renxit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is 5SM really far-right? Wikipedia describes them as syncretic.

Not traditionally right, but Trump-style. They're the "Fuck the system" party, with a dose of post-facts politics.

That's just a homosexualist diversion, comrade. Get on with the message.

M5S's unofficial motto is "Making perfect the enemy of good". Every time there's a law\reform\whatever up, they're "Eh, could be better". Except obviously, anything can be better than it is.

Jackpot

Banned
To be honest, I'm not that worried about the situation in Italy simply because, in contrast to the US and the UK, politics have always been a mess there (remember: close to 70 different cabinets since World War II and, ironically, it was Proto-Donald Trump Silvio Berlusconi who managed to have one of the longest tenures as Prime Minister; it kinda says everything that you need to know about Italian politics).

Yeah, the comparisons to Trump&Brexit has just lead to doomsaying drive-by posts with no attempt to actually look into what this marginally significant, internal political event means.

It's shit but relatively par for the course in Italy.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Thats a sad day for my country

Tugatrix

M5S is not really rightwing, more like a chaotic anti-politics / anti-establishment / anti-everything-that-goes-through-Grillo's-head-at-the-moment movement, which does not really conform to the traditional left/right dichotomy (they kinda remind me of the various Pirate Parties that had popped up in several European countries a few years back). As such, they'd be neither capable nor willing to go into a coalition with other parties. For that matter, they'd not be capable of governing at all if you ask me. A hypothetical M5S-led government would probably only last a few months, tops.

a few months to give a taste of chaos might shake up people to what they are really choosing. But if you ask me the real problem is parties not really addressing the problems of the people and relying on fear to get votes, if you see the brexit and the us campaigns the negativity express by the loosing side, for me was a factor for defeat. If you take hope away from people they will turn to anyone that give them that hope even when is the worst person.

Couldn't they form alliances? that end up working in Portugal and Spain. Still jesus if those numbers are correct. M5S is a bit rightwingish, right? how likely would it be a alliance between them?

there's no chance in hell M5S will form an alliance with everyone else. They are an anti-politics and anti-establishment party, its their raison d'etre to be against everyone else.

the only possible alliance will be PD + the some or all of the right wing parties, but that would really be difficult, because some of the right wing parties won't ever do alliances with PD

Is 5SM really far-right? Wikipedia describes them as syncretic.

They are not far-right, but far-right is like them: fascism was born the same way, Lega Nord (the very-very right party) was born the same way, they all start with anti establishment propaganda, some good and bad ideas thrown everywhere without any wieght to them.
I know many people who are alligned with far-right ideas, they all vote for M5S.

oti

Banned
Well sounds like I don't have to panic about the EU crumbling and galling to the far right. I'm already in panic and meltdown mode with Trump. I was about to be even more depressed if the EU was going to join us in on the stupid train.

It's Italy. Crazy politics is their lifestyle.

weekev

Banned
Ok Italy, you fucked this one up, you guys have a chance for redemption, unlike Britain and America. So Renzi is quitting in an hours time, let's keep his successor left or centre, pretty please. Not 5* or Berlusconi again. Thanks.

DevilFox

M5S is not really rightwing, more like a chaotic anti-politics / anti-establishment / anti-everything-that-goes-through-Grillo's-head-at-the-moment movement, which does not really conform to the traditional left/right dichotomy (they kinda remind me of the various Pirate Parties that had popped up in several European countries a few years back). As such, they'd be neither capable nor willing to go into a coalition with other parties. For that matter, they'd not be capable of governing at all if you ask me. A hypothetical M5S-led government would probably only last a few months, tops.

Do you even have a clue of what you're saying? Seems like your knowledge comes from those 3-4 newspapers known to be funded by political parties, therefore mostly unreliable, that have spent the last 5 years trying to cover the 5 Stars Movement with shit, lies, catastrophic headlines and more.
Also, this Referendum has little to do with Brexit. This was, yet again, another attempt made by Renzi to gain more power to do whatever he wants (as if he didn't made enough damage already); the very definition of democracy, isn't it? I'm happy that "NO" seems to be the winner: there can be changes in our Constitution but these are not the ones we need.
Side not: do not listen to Salvini. He's just a big show man with a big mouth.

Well sounds like I don't have to panic about the EU crumbling and galling to the far right. I'm already in panic and meltdown mode with Trump. I was about to be even more depressed if the EU was going to join us in on the stupid train.

No, that's the French and German general elections next year. This is small beer in comparison.

Madness

Ok Italy, you fucked this one up, you guys have a chance for redemption, unlike Britain and America. So Renzi is quitting in an hours time, let's keep his successor left or centre, pretty please. Not 5* or Berlusconi again. Thanks.

Chance at what? If the majority of the Italian people vote a certain way, they didn't fuck up, it was what they wanted. Can you not see why posts like yours are exactly why globalist or pro-EU sentiment is at an all time low. People don't want to be told they need to vote a certain way 'for the greater good' or especially because some guy outside the country thinks his way is right.

Otherwise just watch as France and Netherlands and many others go down this very same path.

G.ZZZ

Do you even have a clue of what you're saying? Seems like your knowledge comes from those 3-4 newspapers known to be funded by political parties, therefore mostly unreliable, that have spent the last 5 years trying to cover the 5 Stars Movement with shit, lies, catastrophic headlines and more.
Also, this Referendum has little to do with Brexit. This was, yet again, another attempt made by Renzi to gain more power to do whatever he wants (as if he didn't made enough damage already); the very definition of democracy, isn't it? I'm happy that "NO" seems to be the winner: there can be changes in our Constitution but these are not the ones we need.

Ok.

This "everything is a conspiracy except the things i say" is driving me insane. Guess i'll enjoy the index tomorrow zzz. Billions down the flush.

SamVimes

Mainstream media, right? At least salvini recognizes how similar he is to Farage, Trump and Le Pen.

Yeah, the comparisons to Trump&Brexit has just lead to doomsaying drive-by posts with no attempt to actually look into what this marginally significant, internal political event means.

It's shit but relatively par for the course in Italy.

we're comparing them because they use the same methods of campaigning + the long shadow of russian involvement

Chance at what? If the majority of the Italian people vote a certain way, they didn't fuck up, it was what they wanted. Can you not see why posts like yours are exactly why globalist or pro-EU sentiment is at an all time low. People don't want to be told they need to vote a certain way 'for the greater good' or especially because some guy outside the country thinks his way is right.

Otherwise just watch as France and Netherlands and Austria and many others go down this very same path.

What? He is just passionate about politics and was joking about the tragic situtation the world is dealing with.

cm osi

luckily for the left, the right is in shambles. it's the only way a left government can last

sofa

Couldn't they form alliances? that end up working in Portugal and Spain. Still jesus if those numbers are correct. M5S is a bit rightwingish, right? how likely would it be a alliance between them?

Every government in Italy was a coalition of some sort. Nearly every one didn't last to the end of it's mandate. Coalition in Italy just don't work.

Well, the PD and its coalition partners have a working majority in both chambers of parliament, for whatever it is worth now, and the next regular elections aren't due until 2018. So it's not like the Five Star Movement or the far right can just sweep into power on the back of the referendum result.

cm osi

Every government in Italy was a coalition of some sort. Nearly every one didn't last to the end of it's mandate. Coalition in Italy just don't work.

how coalition works here: the moment you make it, the moment they start to threat you to drop the support because there's something they don't like

weekev

Banned
a few months to give a taste of chaos might shake up people to what they are really choosing. But if you ask me the real problem is parties not really addressing the problems of the people and relying on fear to get votes, if you see the brexit and the us campaigns the negativity express by the loosing side, for me was a factor for defeat. If you take hope away from people they will turn to anyone that give them that hope even when is the worst person.
This is an excellent post. The anti-Brexit campaign was precisely that, anti-Brexit. Hillary's presidential campaign was anti-Trump. If those campaigns had been more pro-EU or "Hi I'm Hillary, here is what I'm gonna do for you" I reckon they would have gained more traction and we wouldn't be where we are now.

It's tough though. Far right policies are scary shit. When you see that shit gaining momentum and realise you are the only person who can stop it, it must be terrifying. How could you not run a campaign of fear when it's likely to be an emotion running pretty strongly within you. Post facts politics is some ride eh.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

You even read what you write?
"Mainstream media is against us" is pratically the same as writing "Facts are against us", and is the unmistakeable mark of *that* kind of politics.

I swear i will be so mad if the no win. But sadly i know Italians... We have one opportunity, ONE to change things and we fuck up because of stupid reasons. Literally my Mother said she was going to vote no because "Renzi mi sta sulle scatole". I have no words.

I am no expert in politics. But when you hear a politician say "to really change, we have to vote no" and by voting no you literally vote to not change anything, you know that something doesn't add up.

I love my country. The most beautiful country in the world. I'm not so sure about the ignorant people living in it.

TTOOLL

Otherwise just watch as France and Netherlands and many others go down this very same path.

It's seems people have gotten the memo yet.

weekev

Banned
Well, the PD and its coalition partners have a working majority in both chambers of parliament, for whatever it is worth now, and the next regular elections aren't due until 2018. So it's not like the Five Star Movement or the far right can just sweep into power on the back of the referendum result.
Will they not have an election now Renzi has quit?

DevilFox

Ok.

This "everything is a conspiracy except the things i say" is driving me insane. Guess i'll enjoy the index tomorrow zzz. Trillions down the flush.

Would you be so kind to point me at the conspiracy part in my post, please?
Newspapers funded by political parties is a known reality. Same applies for TV (RAI and Mediaset). Too bad not everyone is blind or deaf.

SamVimes

In this case it was the opposite. The winners relied on the vote against Renzi rather than one on the reform. Negativity won.

Newspapers funded by political parties is a known reality. Same applies for TV (RAI and Mediaset). Too bad not everyone is blind or deaf.

ok

now tell us where do you get your news

links are appreciated

G.ZZZ

Like every single reputable news outlet? Enjoy russiatoday i guess.

Rafy

I swear i will be so mad if the no win. But sadly i know Italians... We have one opportunity, ONE to change things and we fuck up because of stupid reasons. Literally my Mother said she was going to vote no because "Renzi mi sta sulle scatole". I have no words.

I love my country. The most beautiful country in the world. I'm not so sure about the ignorant people living in it.

My dad tried the same thing on me and he was met by some very colorful blasphemies on my part. I don't get voting to ruin your country out of spite, it's the stupidest thing ever.

Who needs to read Libero or watch Rai 1 to see what M5S is? Seriously. Should we read Il Fatto Quotidiano? Or Tze Tze or whatever other not-political-funded but still in need-of-people-biuying-it so actually just as biased as the others newspaper?
There is no doubt that a big part of the press is against M5S, just like a big part of the press (especially on social networks) is against PD. It's not like you are talking to elders watching Rete 4, people here are probably capable enough of using internet to avoid mass media.

G.ZZZ

A strong europe was the only way we could diminish the impact of the Trump shitshow on the world and the only way our market could stand to the aggressiveness of american supercorps. Being anti-EU right now is literally a vote for irrilevance and submission to supercorps which can bully you to hell and back once you're a relatively small market.

oti

Banned
My dad tried the same thing on me and he was met by some very colorful blasphemies on my part. I don't get voting to ruin your country out of spite, it's the stupidest thing ever.

Well, look at the UK. The head rat Farage ruined the country, is now leaving the sinking ship and his followers still believe him.

There's nothing you can do with some people.

The 5 star movement want a referendum on the euro currency? Sounds quite bad considering how inflated the Lira was, I doubt the public want that do they?

giphy.gif

chadskin

AFP: #BREAKING Italy's Prime Minister Renzi concedes "extraordinarily clear" referendum defeat

But so far, he hasn't resigned.

The 5 star movement want a referendum on the euro currency? Sounds quite bad considering how inflated the Lira was, I doubt the public want that do they?
Lots of italians want that, because they feel nostalgic about the 90's, when we had Lira and the economy felt so much better, even though the signals for this shitshow were already shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom