• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italian Constitutional Referendum 2016 - Renxit

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Who needs to read Libero or watch Rai 1 to see what M5S is? Seriously. Should we read Il Fatto Quotidiano? Or Tze Tze or whatever other not-political-funded but still in need-of-people-biuying-it so actually just as biased as the others newspaper?
There is no doubt that a big part of the press is against M5S, just like a big part of the press (especially on social networks) is against PD. It's not like you are talking to elders watching Rete 4, people here are probably capable enough of using internet to avoid mass media.

You don't need to read any newspaper at all to see how full of idiots the M5S is, Grillo is the best argument against it.
"Vote with your gut", his little video after Trump's victory.. just for two very recent ones.
He's the textbook example of a populist full of shit.

Loris146

The 5 star movement want a referendum on the euro currency? Sounds quite bad considering how inflated the Lira was, I doubt the public want that do they?

Euro is an over valued ( ovverrated , i don't know the correct word for "sopravvalutata" in this particular case ) currency for Italy ---> it's more difficult to export goods. It's not easy when you have to compete against Germany for example.

So what happens next? Caretaker government? Or does the PD and its partners actually have somebody waiting in the wings who could form a new government?

Guess it's up to the President to keep things from falling apart... again...

jelly

It sounds like Italy needed changes but were the proposed ones good or bad or a bit of both?

I don't think the result is doom and gloom, they just didn't offer up changes that people liked.

CTLance

Sigh. I knew it, after the Austrians dodged a bullet, the universe had to balance things.

The fireworks tomorrow are gonna be amazing. Whose bright idea was it to schedule this mess, anyway? They should have voted on Fri-/Saturday, so that the outrage about the outcome could have cooled a bit before the markets open on Monday.

Tacitus_

The 5 star movement want a referendum on the euro currency? Sounds quite bad considering how inflated the Lira was, I doubt the public want that do they?

Apparently they can't put monetary or foreign policy to referendum. So the euro should be safe from the public.

oti

Banned
Fucking hell. This year keeps on giving and giving and giving and giving and giving and...

Eh, nothing can top Brexit or Trump.

It sounds like Italy needed changes but were the proposed ones good or bad or a bit of both?

I don't think the result is doom and gloom, they just didn't offer up changes that people liked.

It was a chance to finally streamline their system. They're the laughing stock of the world and yet it somehow miraculously works, kinda. But if their economy weakens even more due to this political chaos it could turn real ugly real fast. This isn't Greece we're talking about, it's friggin Italy.

IMO they were pretty bad.
I agree, the Constitution needs changes.

Uhm, why?

Because he's a jacobin hypocrite. If you don't agree with him, you're automatically morally turpid and probably belong in jail.

Uncle Silvio knew what he was doing when he plucked him from obscurity and transformed him overnight into a maître à penser of the opposition.

Sigh. I knew it, after the Austrians dodged a bullet, the universe had to balance things.

The fireworks tomorrow are gonna be amazing. Whose bright idea was it to schedule this mess, anyway? They should have voted on Fri-/Saturday, so that the outrage about the outcome could have cooled a bit before the markets open on Monday.

We always vote on Sundays or Sun+Mon.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Didn't expect him to announce his resignment already, seriously.

Personally, I voted for the No due to the changes made to the two chambers and the way too excessive confluence of power in the hands of the Prime Minister. Yes, the flip-flop of decisions and reforms between them is a major problem in Italy, but I don't believe this is an effective way, in the long run, to solve this problem due to, again, how the system would favour way too much who's in power. The real problem of Italy is not the presence of an opposition, but how it acts. Heck, theorically I'm open to a change from the bicameralist system, but I don't feel this was how to change the system.

It's unfortunate that my vote sort of "favours" scums like Berlusconi, Salvini and Grillo, blergh.

oti

Banned
Merkel's (kinda) allies keep dropping. Hollande was pretty obvious but now Renzi too.

Now the CDU-wing will hold the presidency of the EU Parliament which is something, I guess. At least it sounds good.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand why the panic though. Renzi resigns, but another of his colleagues can form a government, no? So what's the problem? He's not insane enough to call early elections after he just lost a vote, I hope.

And after reading and hearing some of the arguments for Yes and No, it doesn't seem to be that black and white about it. Sure, some of the things were very nice but others a bit questionable.

And even if there are early elections, I don't see how there can be a majority that can do some extreme things, it would rather be typical crazy Italian political crisis as always in the past 60 years or so.

Merkel's (kinda) allies keep dropping. Hollande was pretty obvious but now Renzi too.

Well, whoever is going to be Italy's next Prime Minister is, in all likelihood, going to be pro-European as well. I mean, the anti-EU factions in parliament are nowhere near to having the numbers to form a government and early elections still seem rather unlikely at the moment. So, yes, while it's a shame to see Italian politics being Italian politics again, this isn't a European crisis - not yet, at least.

Why is this called renxit?

Its about changing the italian constitution and has nothing to do with brexit.

Now the CDU-wing will hold the presidency of the EU Parliament which is something, I guess. At least it sounds good.

werent merkel and sarkozy chummy as well. I dont doubt that she will work well with fillon.

For italy well i doubt that berlusconi is going to be up there again

Paracelsus

Does anyone expect the European stock market taking a nosedive tomorrow based on the results of tonight?

Tomorrow?

pollfksxh.png

Hasn't been this bad in 20 months, worse than Brexit.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
According to that map, northern Italy is in the clutch of an outbreak of Affluenza. Stay strong ItalyGAF, don't let those rich bastards get the best of you.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Tomorrow?

pollfksxh.png

Hasn't been this bad in 20 months, worse than Brexit.

That's a ridicolously tiny variation, though. USDEUR has been high since trump won. 0.01 is really pretty much nothing - Brexit had 0.15 change.

Summary from the Guardian about what's going to happen next:

It will fall to President Mattarella to try to cobble together a new government with the agreement of the country’s largest parties, including Silvio Berlusconi’s conservative Forza Italia. The young guns of the Five Star Movement, including Luigi di Maio, made clear last week that they would call for a swift election if the No camp was victorious.

But while some see the potential rise of either the M5S or the Northern League – which are both anti-EU – as a sign that Italy could try to pull out of the single market, some analysts have downplayed that possibility. An exit from the euro would be exceedingly complicated and – while Euroscepticism is clearly on the rise – there is no clear political consensus to leave the single currency.

Wolfango Piccoli, an analyst at Teneo Intelligence in London, said the most likely outcome would be for Renzi to resign and a new caretaker government to take over. The new government would then be expected to focus entirely on the passage of a new electoral law, which in turn would hamper the ability of either the M5S or the Northern League from winning a strong majority in the next elections.
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...endum-and-austrian-presidential-election-live

tl;dr: It's a mess, but a mess that is par for the course for Italian politics and thus not nearly on the level of Trump or Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom