• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its over 1,000,000!!! India weaponizes world's hottest chilli

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAUHATI, India (AP) - The Indian military has a new weapon against terrorism: the world's hottest chili.

After conducting tests, the military has decided to use the thumb-sized "bhut jolokia," or "ghost chili," to make tear gas-like hand grenades to immobilize suspects, defense officials said Tuesday.

The bhut jolokia was accepted by Guinness World Records in 2007 as the world's spiciest chili. It is grown and eaten in India's northeast for its taste, as a cure for stomach troubles and a way to fight the crippling summer heat.

It has more than 1,000,000 Scoville units, the scientific measurement of a chili's spiciness. Classic Tabasco sauce ranges from 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville units, while jalapeno peppers measure anywhere from 2,500 to 8,000.

"The chili grenade has been found fit for use after trials in Indian defense laboratories, a fact confirmed by scientists at the Defense Research and Development Organization," Col. R. Kalia, a defense spokesman in the northeastern state of Assam, told The Associated Press.

"This is definitely going to be an effective nontoxic weapon because its pungent smell can choke terrorists and force them out of their hide-outs," R. B. Srivastava, the director of the Life Sciences Department at the New Delhi headquarters of the DRDO said.

Srivastava, who led a defense research laboratory in Assam, said trials are also on to produce bhut jolokia-based aerosol sprays to be used by women against attackers and for the police to control and disperse mobs.

India-Chili-Grenades_Gree_20100323043730_320_240.JPG

Its interesting to see how every day items rank. Though after a certain point isn't it all pretty useless? Hot is hot.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Teh Hamburglar said:
Though after a certain point isn't it all pretty useless? Hot is hot.
The higher the rating, the less you need. I'm guessing something like that would sear with just a microdrop.

"It is grown and eaten in India's northeast for its taste, as a cure for stomach troubles and a way to fight the crippling summer heat."

What? Wat and Wut?

Mr. B Natural said:
"It is grown and eaten in India's northeast for its taste, as a cure for stomach troubles and a way to fight the crippling summer heat."

What? Wat and Wut?

If you grow up around them you get used to it. For a time I put habenero sauce, I think it was Beyond Insanity, on everything. Eventually I got acclimated.

Same reason real thai food is so hot.

bionic77

Mr. B Natural said:

What? Wat and Wut?
It is so powerful that the hole it is burning in your tongue will make you forget about your stomach troubles and the summer heat!

Also, this is cruel and unusual. Those mega peppers will literally burn your skin if it comes in contact.

Peronthious said:
If you grow up around them you get used to it. For a time I put habenero sauce, I think it was Beyond Insanity, on everything. Eventually I got acclimated.

Same reason real thai food is so hot.

If you had a stomach ache, would you eat something spicy?
If you were sweating from heat, would you eat something spicy?

Sounds like cutting off your leg to forget your hang nail.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I had that Beyond Insanity stuff. "Da Bomb" i believe?
What's that in scovilles? It made me want to die.

SmokyDave

Cindres said:
I had that Beyond Insanity stuff. "Da Bomb" i believe?
What's that in scovilles? It made me want to die.
Da Bomb: Beyond Insanity is 120,000 Scovilles.

They also do the 'Final Answer' at 1,500,000 Scovilles. Fuck. That.

ShinAmano

SmokyDave said:

Pretty much...I am all for super hot sauces and have tried one at 750K...had no taste just heat...I want flavor with my burn please.

They have featured Ghost Chilies in and episode of Man vs Food. It is pretty serious stuff. The cook used a gas mask so he wouldn't breathe in the heat while he was cooking.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
SmokyDave said:

Seriously i was in pain for a half hour and i probably drank a dangerous amount of water. I can't do spice at all, i just wanted to rip my damn throat out.
My mate did it at the same time and he didn't talk for at least quarter of an hour.

I could NOT do the Final Answer or any of these other things. How do they measure the spice?

samus i am said:
They have featured Ghost Chilies in and episode of Man vs Food. It is pretty serious stuff. The cook used a gas mask so he wouldn't breathe in the heat while he was cooking.

So, in other words, we're playing god...with spicy.

ShinAmano

SmokyDave said:
I find drinking milk more effective, drinking water just seems to spread the heat across more of my throat.
Remember your science people...milk is the way to go...water and oil do not mix well.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Cindres said:
I could NOT do the Final Answer or any of these other things. How do they measure the spice?
Its pretty simple how they measure the heat of the pepper. The number of units is determined by how many famished mice die to completely eat the pepper.

Leunam

samus i am said:

Not to downplay the ghost pepper, but a lot if not all of the really spicy foods featured on Man vs Food are prepared by chefs wearing masks, goggles, and gloves.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Mr. B Natural said:
If you were sweating from heat, would you eat something spicy?

Sounds like cutting off your leg to forget your hang nail.

Yes, if you are really hot, drinking a cold drink, isn't the best way to cool down.

By drinking something hot, you equilibrize the your internal body temperature with the outside air temperature.

You go to any Middle Eastern, Northern Africian country and they don't reach for a cold can of Coke, they will have a hot tea to cool them down.

agrajag

Banned
ShinAmano said:
Remember your science people...milk is the way to go...water and oil do not mix well.

Actually, milk is mostly water, so ilt won't help too much. The chemical responsible for the heat iln chillies is called Capsaicin, and it is fat-soluble. The best remedy that works absolutely wthout fail is to rinse your mouth wth olive oil, canola oil or any other kind of fat and spit it out. Sure, it mght sound "nasty" but it will make the burn go away real fast.

Drek

SmokyDave said:
I find drinking milk more effective, drinking water just seems to spread the heat across more of my throat.
It does. Water doesn't neutralize the capsaicin, it just slightly dilutes it and helps to spread it to the rest of your mouth/throat, making it worse.

Milk actually helps to neutralize the capsaicin.

agrajag

Banned
AtomskEater said:
Wow, and jalapenos give me a hard time. I kind of want to try one, just out of morbid curiosity...

i have to dice habaneros at work sometimes, and i get a heat burn on my fingers just from touching them...

ShinAmano

agrajag said:
Actually, milk is mostly water, so ilt won't help too much. The chemical responsible for the heat iln chillies is called Capsaicin, and it is fat-soluble. The best remedy that works absolutely wthout fail is to rinse your mouth wth olive oil, canola oil or any other kind of fat and spit it out. Sure, it mght sound "nasty" but it will make the burn go away real fast.
Hmmm interesting...I assumed the capsaicin was in the oil in the chili...
nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

I ordered some wings from a local place a few weeks ago with a sauce that contained ghost chillis. I had to sign a waiver and everything before I actually ate them. I ordered the sauce on the side just to make sure I had control over the pain, but it mattered little, the shit was nuclear.

Using it as a weapon only makes sense, considering that I could imagine few things worse than someone rubbing that sauce into my eyeball.

taylor910

Teh Hamburglar said:
India-Chili-Grenades_Gree_20100323043730_320_240.JPG

Its interesting to see how every day items rank. Though after a certain point isn't it all pretty useless? Hot is hot.

This pic hasn't been shopped yet? Serious disappoint

spock

Funny story about hot peppers...A few years back I was making a chili, chopping up some pretty hot peppers and what not. So I suddenly have to go pee and without thinking run to the bathroom and take a piss. I wash my hands and leave the bathroom and go back to the kitchen to finish up the chili. Within 2 or 3 minutes I get a suttle burning sensation in my penis....

It starts to get worse and worse...Next thing you know i'm in the shower running ice cold water on my dong praying the burn stops (I start thinking I might have to got to the ER, etc)...my GF is asking me whats wrong, I tell her what's going on...she then reminds me about the chili's I was cutting...

My stupidity hits me in the face and I realize I took a piss without washing my hands and must have got the chili oils on my dong...be warned fellas... :)

Corum

spock said:
Funny story about hot peppers...A few years back I was making a chili, chopping up some pretty hot peppers and what not. So I suddenly have to go pee and without thinking run to the bathroom and take a piss. I wash my hands and leave the bathroom and go back to the kitchen to finish up the chili. Within 2 or 3 minutes I get a suttle burning sensation in my penis....

It starts to get worse and worse...Next thing you know i'm in the shower running ice cold water on my dong praying the burn stops (I start thinking I might have to got to the ER, etc)...my GF is asking me whats wrong, I tell her what's going on...she then reminds me about the chili's I was cutting...

My stupidity hits me in the face and I realize I took a piss without washing my hands and must have got the chili oils on my dong...be warned fellas... :)

I've been there, fortunately for me the chilli's weren't too hot so it was actually quite a nice, yet bizarre, sensation. Chilli in the eye was far less pleasurable.

BowieZ

Banned
Dresden said:
I hope the CIA doesn't get a hold of this.

"It wasn't torture, we were just feeding them chili!"
Waterboarding won't be torture after feeding them chilli. Loophole FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom