• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT, we post pictures of our cats.

Zoe

Zombie James said:
Any reason for this? From most every source i've looked into, wet food (or even a raw food diet) seem preferred.

My cat's healthy without it, and the vet has never said otherwise.

Zombie James said:
Any reason for this? From most every source i've looked into, wet food (or even a raw food diet) seem preferred.
Huh, that's weird. I've always heard that giving your cat (only) wet food is bad. It causes rotten teeth and is overall less healthy. The only downside to dry food is that you have to make sure your cat drinks enough of water (or even a bit of milk) to make sure it doesn't get constipated.

f82yN.jpg

B6Ofm.jpg

Souldriver said:
Huh, that's weird. I've always heard that giving your cat (only) wet food is bad. It causes rotten teeth and is overall less healthy. The only downside to dry food is that you have to make sure your cat drinks enough of water (or even a bit of milk) to make sure it doesn't get constipated.
I just got a new cat and was planning on giving her a wet/dry mix.

I opened a container of wet food for her and plopped it in her dish. She wouldn't touch it. It stunk up my kitchen for a good three hours before I finally threw it away.

Dry food it is, I guess. I got her some good stuff with chicken as the first ingredient. She likes it a lot, so I'm sticking with it.

I use a mix of dry and wet food. I've seen differing opinions so I just use both.

Dry is good for teeth but wet food tends to be healthier and has water in it so they don't dehydrate. Most dry food tend to be full of fillers and grains and crap, I tend to go for stuff around 40% protein.

My cats aren't big on dry food anyway and I one of them usually throws up most of the brands.

BertramCooper said:
I just got a new cat and was planning on giving her a wet/dry mix.

I opened a container of wet food for her and plopped it in her dish. She wouldn't touch it. It stunk up my kitchen for a good three hours before I finally threw it away.

Dry food it is, I guess. I got her some good stuff with chicken as the first ingredient. She likes it a lot, so I'm sticking with it.
Well, I give her a tiny bit of wet food every morning when I wake up and she comes home from a night of hunting and cat fun, just to start of her day. :) But other than that, I just have a bowl of dry food and a bowl of water she can eat 24/7.

So essentially, the dry food is her food, the wet food is her snack. It's funny how your cat doesn't touch the wet food though, most cats love that stuff way more than dry food. But every cat is different I guess. Mine only touches the cheapest brand of dry food, which is good for me financially. :)

suzu

Dry food is okay. The less meat-by-product and more actual meat, the better for the cat. Just make sure it is drinking enough water too. Most cats seem to go for fresh moving water, so investing in a drinking fountain is a good idea.

Wet food is better, assuming you are feeding your cat healthy wet food. Cats are obligate carnivores, not omnivores like humans or dogs. This means they need to eat the tissue of another animal to thrive. Their bodies are designed for a diet higher in water and protein. Cats have trouble breaking down carbohydrates, and dry foods are primarily carbs. Wet food also helps ensure they are getting enough water, as cats well only drink water when they are already becoming dehydrated, which can also help prevent kidney problems and bladder infections, especially in male cats. One vet I spoke with said feeding them only dry food is like a human subsisting on a diet of potato chips - you can do it, but it's not healthy.

I feed my cat a 1/3 a can of wet food at every meal, and a cup full of protein-rich dry food a day. Wet food does make the poop smell worse, but if you're leaving a turd in the litterbox long enough to make your house stink, you've got bigger problems.

Dry food isn't the worst thing ever, but it's important to avoid dry food where the main ingredient is cornmeal or grain.

MDSLKTR

Cat-gaf, i'm planning on buying a cat this week. I was alway a dog person at heart, but I just don't have enough room for a dog in my appartement nor the time to walk it out. I was thinking either of an himalayan or a persian. How are their temperament? Are they quiet?

Also what breed is that?
happy-cat-02.gif

And this one?

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried those little claw caps that you can put on your cats to stop them from ruining your furniture?

I'm very much interested in getting them, if they work. I'm already starting to see a few loose threads on my couch when I get back from work.

BertramCooper said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried those little claw caps that you can put on your cats to stop them from ruining your furniture?

I'm very much interested in getting them, if they work. I'm already starting to see a few loose threads on my couch when I get back from work.

To be honest i think they will go crazy. I do not know if you got kittens or grownups but a grownup cat will certainly chew on the buggers. Cutting the nails doesn't work either cos they scratch even more to get them sharp again :p
Live with it. Or try some anti cat spray on your couch (read the instructions, dont blame me if your couch gets stained ;) ). Didn't work with my cats but they're is something wrong with them i think :lol

Cuu

It's been a couple of days without pictures of cats. Everyone's going to need some cat pictures at work tomorrow to get them through Monday. So GAF, be kind, and post more pictures of your cats this week!

Here's mine I just snapped. We were cleaning out some baskets we have on shelves and immediately upon seeing it, our cat decided she wanted to nap there.

awj2X.jpg

Fixed1979

Snuggler said:
Aw, is he a Rex? He would be the first I've seen on here.

He was sold to me as a "paperless" Devon Rex. Just from his looks and attitude I don't believe he's mixed at all, but without papers it's a moot point.

Fixed1979

BomberMouse said:
Really cute cat. Do they molt less than an average cat? My cat is spreading its hair left and right, any tips for getting rid of it on my clothes?

Thanks! There's very little fur shed, and it's so short that it's hard to notice. He's probably been brushed 2 times in his life, there's just not any point, and he's the only cat I know that hates being brushed.

Ducky_McGee said:

I love cute white cats, especially tiny cute white cats.

edbrat

BertramCooper said:

addressing the cats claws is one potential solution but one I personally would be loathe to consider. If your cat is scratching up your couch is it because there is nothing else around to scratch or is his / her appetite for play not being satisfied? I would suggest addressing either of these first before messing with your cats claws, the most obvious solution being a scratching post if there isn't one around already.

re the wet vs dry food debate, this has been going on for a while and I don't think the debate has been settled either way. Making sure your cat is hydrated is the key. Some cats don't naturally want to drink water outside what they get in their food and this is where you need to be careful. I'm most swayed by looking at what a wild cat would eat and this is small animals, fur, organs, bones, blood and all. Some swear by the BARF diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding) as a result. I personally go for a mix of wet and dried because that is what she likes and she drinks plenty of water and she also supplements what I give her with a decent haul of rats and mice (and in the springtime, baby rabbits). She definitely prefers rainwater so making sure there is some kind of recepticle in the garden or on a balcony to keep rainwater relatively clean can help.

If you train them early, scratching things can be well controlled. In addition, I got my cat used to having her claws trimmed (regular nail clipper, just be careful to to cut to deeply just the tips).

DSC02606.jpg

Top Bottom