• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS |OT| - No friendship or effort, only victory here

I really like how easy this game is to pick up thanks to every character's moves being mapped to the same commands, similar to Smash Bros. Honestly have not had this much fun in a long time. Love, love, love, love this game.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, some characters can transform just by charging energy all the way. You actually have two bars and you'll transform once you hit the cap(Goku turns Super Saiyan, Ichigo puts on his Hollow Mask, etc.).

I agree, I just feel that everyone needed more aerial attacks, sometimes while attacking after a jump I see them doing a standing attack animation in the air.... kind of a no no, but the game is still very fun.

I feel like we need a proper sequel to fix many of these issues.

Care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious since I still don't know if I want to buy this.

I think everyone is going to have different opinions, everyone is opinionated when it comes to fighting games or "Action Fighting Games" as I like to all these.

If you are a fan of Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi (Raging Blast and Battle Of Z as well) or Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (Even these two games are very different from one another) then I believe you will find this game enjoyable.

The game is a third person fighter, I believe the game could have had deeper combat and could have been much more polished had they held the game back a while, I do feel the dragon ball Z games, even battle of Z has more polish to how the game mechanics feel then J-Stars.

J-Stars is an easy game to get into, if you are clever enough you can pull off some neat combo's but the gameplay is a bit on the shallow side compared with the previous tenkaichi/raging blast games this team is known for... It's more on the level of Battle Of Z and Ultimate Ninja Storm with small variations in the combos you can pull off.

NOT BAD seeing the game has no clone characters and it seems everyone brings something new to the table. I feel they worked hard on this game and its a really fun Jump Super Stars / Ultimate Stars nod in 3D but... I still feel JSS and JUS are better games (even with the problems those games had).

I think overall people have given the game a good score, and I feel that the game has done well enough for me to be interested in a second game, hopefully fixing all of the issues many people have currently.

The game can introduce you to new jump characters and series, many characters have unique abilities and personas that have attracted me into learning more about them. SO PLEASE MAKE MORE GAMES LIKE THIS NAMCO! But spend more time polishing the game up.

IMO.. (when I say polish, I'm talking about character animations and attacks, sometimes I have seen ground attacks (standing ground attacks) casually happen in the air )

If Tenkaichi had the polish of Super Smash Bros Brawl, then J-Star's has the polish of PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal... lol

But the presentation outside of gameplay is AMAZING! Also Custom Soundtracks that allow you to replace levels music is just too good, reminds me of Smash Bros Brawl except you can use your own music on your PS HardDrive!

I gave the game an 8.5, totally worth the buy, if money and the language barrier isn't an issue. SO GO GET IT! (Or At least the Vita Game, it's just as good as the PS3 game. I got both)

Skip to 8:50 to see a pretty lame glitch, it's only happened to me once...

Dereck

This game functions more like Battle of Z and much less like Ninja Storm and Tenkaichi, being that it's combat system is heavily button mash based and there is not much variety.

Care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious since I still don't know if I want to buy this.
I wouldn't take much value in my opinion because I've only played this game for less than 2 hours. I get serious Battle of Z vibes from this game, a bunch of people wailing on you at the same time, while you're only targeted on one enemy, trying to kill that person. There's all kinds of explosions, powers, lights and whatnot in your way. It's a bit wild, it can be fun.

The blocking seems incredibly slow, the combos are repeated over and over, there seems to be no counter system (I don't know), it kind of reminds me of Anarchy Reigns.

first time seeing the video of battle in this game, the 2v2 setup remind me of gundam exvs which I just started getting into and have a lot of fun in that and the battle in Naruto Ultimate Storm game is also very simple but fun to me. still interested with this game, is the vita version content complete compared to PS3 version? cross save/cross play feature?

Been playing this game for a while these past few days, and I really have to say the UNS and Tenkaichi comparisons are pretty unfair, because it really plays nothing like those games(Coming from someone who does regularly play those games whenever they come out.) There actually is a pretty nifty combo system in here, no matter how erratic it may be, very much in the same vein as Anarchy Reigns'. There's a surprising amount of depth to be had if you dig hard enough, and try not to button mash.

I'm mostly a Tsuna main at this point, and he has a pretty wide range of options for just about every situation. A well placed combo with him can take off about over half the opponent's life meter,(Dash square, square, square, square, dash cancel, air square, air square, land, square, triangle, square, land, square, triangle, square, land, combo special; as shamelessly cribbed off a gamefaqs guide.) and that counter is sogood.gif.

And while it may be 2v2, I'd say it doesn't really play that much like Gundam either. The rather stingy stamina bar means you actually have a good reason to not be boosting and fuwa stepping as many times as you can, and there's the obvious fact that projectiles just aren't as prominent here.

On another note, while people give the DBZ characters a lot of flak, I'd say they all pale in comparison to Ryotsu, who's absolutely insane. His rocket launcher has an insanely good AoE and homing capabilities, and either breaks your guard or reduces your stamina to almost zero if you try to block it. And for some reason, even if you hit Ryotsu out of the animation for his helicopter move, it STILL COMES OUT, and generally makes your life a living hell alongside the spinning top and that sniper rifle that can just about hit you from across the screen with surprising accuracy as far as I can tell. Plus, for a guy who's supposedly focused on a ranged game, his melee moves aren't really that bad, especially that signpost move. I'm pretty sure there must be some trick to getting around this guy, but I can't find one.

Generally though, I've found just about every character to be viable in some way IMO.

Also how is Online? I have yet to try it... I normally hop online but I'm worried about lag...

It could be better, really. Unlike JJBA, I can actually get a good few lag-free matches in here, but it's nowhere near the level as Gundam's netcode. It's kinda hit or miss.

FYC

Banned
Got to a point in the Naruto campaign where there are no more stars or dots on the maps to progress. Did I beat it or something?

Is it the point where you meet
Neuno, the guy in the school uniform with black hair and the demon arm
? If so, go to the far west side of the map and look for a crate.

Otherwise, just go interact with a bunch of areas on the map. One of them will trigger the next star.

Anyone know about Just Guard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wng3cvnPf0

I noticed with ace he can counter moves and cause a ring of fire around him and the enemy that he can counter attack out from.

Some other characters have other special attacks, was hoping there was a list somewhere...

Seems though most characters just teleport out of the way.

LMN

I'm still deciding whether to import this game or not (ps vita version). I was a bit lucky since I got the chance to try the game on one of the EBgame store for a few minute (Big thank to the store employee, who personally order it and put it on the PS3 for ppl to play). From the short played, my first impression is good. IMO For those who said the game is similar to gundam vs., it is, but not Extreme vs., but more on vs next plus with no cancel and direction attack button.

But more to the point, how is the AI difficulty level? with the highest difficulty setting, does the AI provide any challenge at all? (e.g I still winning/losing on gundam vs. next plus with Newtype setting) This will be a big deciding factor for me, since I can't play online cause my internet suck. Thank for the help =)

Edit: Thank for the answer SnakeSlashRo, I will wait a bit more to get some more info and overall impression/review, but right now I'm 80/20 leaning toward "Import" =P

I'm still deciding whether to import this game or not (ps vita version). I was a bit lucky since I got the chance to try the game on one of the EBgame store for a few minute (Big thank to the store employee, who personally order it and put it on the PS3 for ppl to play). From the short played, my first impression is good. IMO For those who said the game is similar to gundam vs., it is, but not Extreme vs., but more on vs next plus with no cancel and direction attack button.

But more to the point, how is the AI difficulty level? with the highest difficulty setting, does the AI provide any challenge at all? (e.g I still winning/losing on gundam vs. next plus with Newtype setting) This will be a big deciding factor for me, since I can't play online cause my internet suck. Thank for the help =)

I think the AI difficulty can get pretty tough, but it's really dependent on how skilled the player is and if you play fighting games or "action fighting games". The highest level still seems a bit easy if its 1 on 1, but when it comes to 2v2 (most matches) it can be pretty difficult.

They AI is good enough to use Just Guard quite a bit to dodge your attacks. I'd say Import.

Is it the point where you meet
Neuno, the guy in the school uniform with black hair and the demon arm
? If so, go to the far west side of the map and look for a crate.

Otherwise, just go interact with a bunch of areas on the map. One of them will trigger the next star.

Thank you, sir.
The crate was hiding; I tell ya'

Got stuck again later but whatever lol. I need to see how da online works anyway.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Finally got a chance to start playing this. Am I missing something with the game's defensive options? Dodging feels slow and it seems like there's no way to counter incoming attacks. I've got to be missing something here.

Tried online briefly on PS3 and was pretty disappointed. Even with full bars, there was lag all over the place. Still could have just been the people I was playing with, though.

There's also some pretty bad camera problems that can occur when going through and destroying buildings, and on that awful plant stage (who thought this was a good level to use?)

But I don't want to make it sound like I hate the game- it's still pretty fun despite its shortcomings.

Lyte Edge

I noticed with ace he can counter moves and cause a ring of fire around him and the enemy that he can counter attack out from.

Some other characters have other special attacks, was hoping there was a list somewhere...

Thanks for this. Knew there had to be SOMETHING I was missing!

Lyte Edge

Oh, and sorry if this was posted already- you can't take in-game screenshots in the Vita version. So now we know why early purchasers were uploading cell phone camera pics.

TWILT

Banned
Been playing this game for a while. Having a lot of fun with the game though I'm not very good yet lol. Mostly just using Hiei and Sasuke for now; want to learn the more advanced combos with them.

Online's kinda meh. Haven't had too many laggy matches, though they're far from perfect. So many Vegetas too. >_>

ps4one

Neo Member
my copy is coming tomorrow according to fedex. theres a bunch of english translations out right now. i just wish somebody would make a patch so the translations are in the game.

story mode
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2014/03...dventure-story-mode-menu-english-translation/

how to set custom soundtrack
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2014/03...dtrack-victory-road-menu-english-translation/

online menus
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2014/03/j-stars-victory-vs-online-menus-english-translation/

free battle
http://www.saiyanisland.com/2014/03/j-stars-victory-vs-free-battle-english-translation

i liked these two videos too

ultimate attacks (super epic!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGT4dtDn0RQ

special attacks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1pbbmjE_M

How's the performance?

I'd say the game gets better the more you play. I gave the game an 8.5 but as I get better (sort of a learning curve because of the timing and delay of specific movements and using the stamina meter) I feel a bit better about the game overall.

I have come up with a few awesome combos with Portgas D. Ace by using Just Guard or by Delaying a few combo's while the opponent is in hit stun. Also making use of wall bounce, because most attacks OTG so you can really just keep hitting them, also some assist like the Medaka Box kid can keep enemies airborne if you have an attack that launches the enemy then you call the assist, you can juggle a bit.

I feel if you are new, the DBZ character's feel the most natural... They feel a bit overpowered, kenshin is like the fastest character on foot in the game too.

Finally did a video with my intensity pro - Check out this PS3 capture quality video http://youtu.be/8hzASNsZwHw
Second and longer video, shows off Goku! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZMecwXrEU

Mad props to anyone who recognizes the music in my videos on PS3!!!

I've been waiting for so long, and tomorrow is almost finally here. Hopefully my copy comes early, or even on the designated day. First character I'm gonna buy is Oga. I don't know who my second character is going to be, maybe Momotaro.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member

Toriko does the fork shield for his just guard and its a great setup for combos.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, and sorry if this was posted already- you can't take in-game screenshots in the Vita version. So now we know why early purchasers were uploading cell phone camera pics.
Really? That's strange. This is the first time I've heard of a Vita game restricting the use of the screenshot feature.

Lyte Edge

Really? That's strange. This is the first time I've heard of a Vita game restricting the use of the screenshot feature.

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 restricts screenshots, too. Maybe it's a licensing thing or maybe it just has to do with the game engine?

I just watched an online gameplay video, and people weren't joking about Vegeta's spamming. His Ki Volley, and Bg Bang Attack does way too much damage. His Ki Volley lasts a very long time, and pushes the person across the whole map. I can see how that can get a little frustrating.

I haven't seen any Saiki online videos yet, so I haven't encountered his rock shield. I've heard it's hard to get through, so he's up there with Vegeta when it comes to being annoying. I haven't heard about Nube being annoying, even though he has a shield as well. I'm guessing his is easier to get through?

I'm already thinking of some ways to get through Vegeta's spamming:
- Gon can switch to defense mode and guard all of Vegeta's supers while closing in
- Luffy can switch to armament and run towards Vegeta (his guard will kick in and guard all of it)
- Kenshin can just dash towards Vegeta while avoiding all of his blasts
- Koro-Sensei can dash around in the air (I'm not sure if it'll work due to how slowly he dashes)
- Aizen can put up a shield and spam his super attacks, forcing Vegetaa to close in on Aizen
- Johnathan can use Hamon on Vegeta after he uses Big Bang Attack (if your good at dodging you can dodge it and use Hamon repeatedly forcing Vegeta to close in)

These are the strategies I've come up with. Not sure if they'll work, but I'll test them out when I go online.

After playing around for a bit I kind of get the reasoning people use Dragon Ball Z characters, not sure if I timed stuff incorrectly with other characters mind, but using Goku when you get attacked if you press the guard button at an appropriate timing it will allow him to use the "vanishing technique" which doesn't seem present in any of the initial characters.

I think this game will benefit a lot if all characters could guard or "vanish" mid combos as well, you can get caught quite easily into a combo that you have the wait for them to finish the combo or get attack by someone else.

After playing around for a bit I kind of get the reasoning people use Dragon Ball Z characters, not sure if I timed stuff incorrectly with other characters mind, but using Goku when you get attacked if you press the guard button at an appropriate timing it will allow him to use the "vanishing technique" which doesn't seem present in any of the initial characters.

I think this game will benefit a lot if all characters could guard or "vanish" mid combos as well, you can get caught quite easily into a combo that you have the wait for them to finish the combo or get attack by someone else.

Read a few post up, I did a video on this. Everyone has a Just Guard, some differ from others, but teleporting out of the way seems to be standard. Ace for example has a counter attack using his logia ability, he doesn't get harmed by physical attacks if you time it right.

Read a few post up, I did a video on this. Everyone has a Just Guard, some differ from others, but teleporting out of the way seems to be standard. Ace for example has a counter attack using his logia ability, he doesn't get harmed by physical attacks if you time it right.

So it'll work mid-combo? Hmmm will try to learn the timing better, just felt a lot easier with Goku. Need to unlock everyone else and try them all out, it's a shame some characters feel like they have less attack than others, need o check again but I think Gintoki doesn't have a strong attack whilst jumping.

Which is AMAZING. I'm curious if anyone else has something as specific for a Just Guard(As Toriko dies apparently).

I've found using Victory Burst as a sort of Roman Cancel to hit confirm into the big attacks to be especially useful to characters like Boa(though her ultimate seems to go off track on occasion for reasons unknown to me) who needs the first hit to go into the rest of it.

So it'll work mid-combo? Hmmm will try to learn the timing better, just felt a lot easier with Goku. Need to unlock everyone else and try them all out, it's a shame some characters feel like they have less attack than others, need o check again but I think Gintoki doesn't have a strong attack whilst jumping.

The DBZ Character's just feel easier in general.

I made a video fighting them =D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg0hF4BzpL8

Naruto specifically feels pretty good too, but HIEI OMG! He feels like a mix between Luffy and Ichigo.

Got my vita copy! See you guys online with vegeta, joseph, and yusuke.

How does the victory mechanic work? I dont know how to activate it and do my ultimate. Also what does posing as joseph do?

Edit: also, while playing as goku, i got a triangle prompt a few times. What does that do? Is it how you hit guys while teleporting?

Finally got my hands on the game, and am really enjoying it.

At first I thought the combat was very slow and boring. Turns out it wasn't the game, it was just Oga. He's a good fighter, he's just not the best character to start off with. I then used Nube, and destroyed the enemy. The match was going faster, and I was doing combos. I then started J-Adventure (I chose Ichigo's since I wanted to be in the story with Oga), and got better with Oga over time. Speaking of J-Adventure, it's very confusing if you don't know Japanese. If the mission didn't have a star on it, then I didn't know where to go. I just had to explore to progress.

So my first impressions are pretty good. The game has it's expected problems (the camera, wonky movement, etc), but it's still fun. I haven't tried online yet, but I'm planning on doing that later when more people from the US get on.

Got my copy! See you guys online with vegeta, joseph, and yusuke.

How does the victory mechanic work? I dont know how to activate it and do my ultimate. Also what does posing as joseph do?

Edit: also, while playing as goku, i got a triangle prompt a few times. What does that do? Is it how you hit guys while teleporting?

The triangle means a "cross break" can happen. If your partner sends someone in the air, you can teleport to them and knock them down by pressing triangle. It's sort of a partner attack.

So yeah, I played this game for a very long time today. Wouldn't be surprised if I clocked in around 6hrs. I had almost every character except Taro, Luckyman, and a few supports. I was 5hrs into the story mode, and I felt like I was even close to the ending.

So I was done for the day, and decided to quit the game. Here's the bad part. All that data, is now gone. All that work, down the drain. It turns out, when I got to the title screen when I first started the game. An option came up. I couldn't read Japanese so I clicked the option on the left (in most Japanese games they usually have you on the "no" selection so I thought I needed to click the left one). I'm guessing that option, was if you wanted to create save data (I'm not sure).

I feel so terrible right now. Not even sure if I'm going to play story mode again. I might as well just stick with Victory Mode now.

So a warning to all. When you first boot the game up make sure to click the right option, not the left. I lost all my data because of that (or more like I didn't have it in the first place). Just wanted to give out a warning for first time buyers, and kinda vent.

So yeah, I played this game for a very long time today. Wouldn't be surprised if I clocked in around 6hrs. I had almost every character except Taro, Luckyman, and a few supports. I was 5hrs into the story mode, and I felt like I was even close to the ending.

So I was done for the day, and decided to quit the game. Here's the bad part. All that data, is now gone. All that work, down the drain. It turns out, when I got to the title screen when I first started the game. An option came up. I couldn't read Japanese so I clicked the option on the left (in most Japanese games they usually have you on the "no" selection so I thought I needed to click the left one). I'm guessing that option, was if you wanted to create save data (I'm not sure).

I feel so terrible right now. Not even sure if I'm going to play story mode again. I might as well just stick with Victory Mode now.

So a warning to all. When you first boot the game up make sure to click the right option, not the left. I lost all my data because of that (or more like I didn't have it in the first place). Just wanted to give out a warning for first time buyers, and kinda vent.

You can use cross save ability to back updata....

All you are doing is loading your data to your PSN account and downloading it to the same device or the Vita. You should be using it.

I made a video, plus there are walkthoughs on saiyanisland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyO-z7fF7M&list=UUmxr5GH8f-LowiKZxMpnsOA

Sorry for your lost time...

Namikaze

So, I got the Vita version yesterday and got addicted real quick. Hiei, Yusuke, and Goku are some of my favorites at the moment. Feels great, much better than managing manga panels in JSS/JUS! And much better combat. If anyone else here has the vita version, let me know. I'd love to add you.

I don't know if I'm using Lala assist right, she moves so slow, completely whiffs most of the time, and bumps into both friend and foe. Worst of all, she can heal the other team too :(

Been playing this game for a while these past few days, and I really have to say the UNS and Tenkaichi comparisons are pretty unfair, because it really plays nothing like those games(Coming from someone who does regularly play those games whenever they come out.) There actually is a pretty nifty combo system in here, no matter how erratic it may be, very much in the same vein as Anarchy Reigns'. There's a surprising amount of depth to be had if you dig hard enough, and try not to button mash.

I'm mostly a Tsuna main at this point, and he has a pretty wide range of options for just about every situation. A well placed combo with him can take off about over half the opponent's life meter,(Dash square, square, square, square, dash cancel, air square, air square, land, square, triangle, square, land, square, triangle, square, land, combo special; as shamelessly cribbed off a gamefaqs guide.) and that counter is sogood.gif

Dash cancelling is pressing dash at the end of the string right? I must be doing something wrong, after the first three squares they hit the ground

Edit: Nvm, I'm starting to see how it's done.
Edit again: I have no clue

Top Bottom