• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory VS |OT| - No friendship or effort, only victory here

Prototype

I admit I pretty much wrote this game off the second I heard about it. But I think it's pretty cool that Kenshiro is in the game.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game but I still want to come up with better combos if possible. I'm pretty happy that the characters I wanted to use are actually fun.

Nippon Yassan has yet to ship my order, my - international takes a couple of weeks to get here - order.

I'm so mad I could stab a man on the chest with my finger, multiple times.

baekshi

Banned
Nippon Yassan has yet to ship my order, my - international takes a couple of weeks to get here - order.

I'm so mad I could stab a man on the chest with my finger, multiple times.

I switched back to cdjapan. I don't mind paying that extra bits of shipping, is already in process of shipping.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I hope this is the case. The sooner I can play the game, the better.

So hopefully by morning my order changes. This is my first import so I hope it's satisfactory.

EDIT: Both of you were right. Literally seconds later, my order changed to "Packing Order." Sweet! Now I'm not worried anymore, just waiting. Which is half the battle, lol.

Would recommend paying for regular Fedex shipping next time- sometimes you get games one day later, because of timezone differences, and it's just a few bucks more.

My order is still on "Preparing," but they now have the game in stock. The 3/20 note is gone!

...Are you really asking why Medaka is in the game? She's one of the most powerful females in Jump (maybe the strongest) and has a lot of sex appeal. When you look at the fact that we only have 3 playable females in the whole roster, Medaka was a total no brainer.

The DS games came out years ago and D.Grayman lost a ton of popularity since it became a monthly series. Allen was fortunate to get in. And this is a personal opinion but since Lenalee lost her hair her character seriously fell into the pits. One of the saddest character assassinations I've seen in shounen.

I'm not surprised that Medaka is popular, but her series isn't very good and I always got the impression that it was constantly on the verge of cancellation. As for D.Gray-man, I'm pretty sure most of these series had a drop in popularity following their cancellation or ending on SJ, so it seems like a double standard. Also, Lenalee lost the use of her Innocence following that fight, but she became kind of OP later on and her hair started growing back, though I don't remember if any of that happened while the series was still with SJ.

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the cast of this game to Jump Ultimate Stars. It's the first Jump game by this dev and it's not like they were just translating DS assets over. There's no reason that a character that is in the DS games has to be in this game.

Besides that, this has around the same number of characters as Supersupers, and Superstars also largely focused on current series of the time.

I wasn't trying to directly compare them from a technical perspective, just that it's just my main piece of evidence that there was enough love for the franchise to throw those characters in in the last game (which I played the shit out of as it happens).

Anyway, I'm just being a rabid fanboy. I'll just keep calm and see how I can reason forking over $80 for this thing...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I like the Medaka Box anime. :(
Just a shame that it ended right before things got awesome, ESPECIALLY when they teased Kumagawa. Still cool that both Medaka & him made it in, not to mention other characters from the series appear in J-Adventure.

My Nippon-Yasan preorder has been shipped, ordered around January and then cancelled and reordered around early February when I wanted to change delivery option. So I'm guessing most preorders in this thread from the site was later?
I preordered this game from nippon yasan 2 days ago, don't know how efficient they are with preorders but I didn't want to pay the rip-off from play-asia, the prices were quite different.

but as a matter of reference from the future, which online store would you recomend for preorders? that does not have the ridiculous prices from play-asia, of course
Amiami as long as you are in the US/ a country that doesn't charge customs

HyperHip

Played some matches online, game can get pretty choppy with 3 bars from what I played. Wonder if there is a way to turn off CPU's in Player Matches, I know it's but possible in Free Battle.

Would recommend paying for regular Fedex shipping next time- sometimes you get games one day later, because of timezone differences, and it's just a few bucks more.

My order is still on "Preparing," but they now have the game in stock. The 3/20 note is gone!

Wish I could have got the regular shipping, but I'm very cheap. There were too many games coming out this month for me to even spend an extra $5 for Fedex. I did get my shipping information, and I should have it by Monday. It's going to be a long wait.

ss-hikaru

Just a shame that it ended right before things got awesome, ESPECIALLY when they teased Kumagawa.

Yeah, I keep hearing this about the Medaka Box anime...is it still worthwhile to watch? Sounded a bit like Sket Dance though which I couldn't get into (the whole school club/council that takes student requests).

Reformatted my Vita today to JPN region! :D my copy probably won't ship until end of March so I'll just have to tide myself over with this OT and the Nyaruko game :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I keep hearing this about the Medaka Box anime...is it still worthwhile to watch? Sounded a bit like Sket Dance though which I couldn't get into (the whole school club/council that takes student requests).
The manga pretty much ditched that whole "taking student requests" thing right where the anime ended (the 2nd season of the anime was the start of forgetting about the request box) & started to be more focused on fighting. Really, season 1 focuses on the "prototype" chapters of the manga and gaining the different student council members, when it was trying to figure out what worked & didn't. Watching it after reading the entire manga felt really weird since that's really the only time they ever really focused on random odd-jobs, which is very different from the rest of the series.

FYC

Banned
For Those Waiting For Us To Sub The Story Mode

It's taking longer than we thought. Almost 3 hours to sub one full 30 minute part.

Jack probably can't do it all himself and I just got the J-Stars guide too so I'll have to split the work or just expect 1-3 translated parts per week.

Alrighty then.

Anyways, here's a video with some basic menu translations. It's a little more detailed than the SGZ one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4oqflQjaoU

Here's every character's ultimate attack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1sEmR8pPXA

Playing a little bit more of story mode, yeah, tokens seem to come pretty damn fast. At this rate I'll have enough to get everyone in notime, though getting enough JP will take a while.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My copy still hasn't shipped. I'm wondering if they're holding it back to ship with my other order for Sengoku Musou 4, which sucks since I purposefully made two orders -paid for shipping twice- to make sure I'd get this game on time.

The manga pretty much ditched that whole "taking student requests" thing right where the anime ended (the 2nd season of the anime was the start of forgetting about the request box) & started to be more focused on fighting. Really, season 1 focuses on the "prototype" chapters of the manga and gaining the different student council members, when it was trying to figure out what worked & didn't. Watching it after reading the entire manga felt really weird since that's really the only time they ever really focused on random odd-jobs, which is very different from the rest of the series.

Yeah, it definitely quickly becomes a shonen fighting series. Medaka and co. versus other student body factions. She even powers up and her hair changes color, super-saiyan style. Goku with boobs.

FYC

Banned
I wish there was a way to read the manga with Ryotsu. It seems like something I'd enjoy. Fun character to play as.

After watching someone stream Luffy's campaign a bit and playing through some of Naruto's, it seems you run into a lot of the same events, although they might play out differently depending on the character you picked. Not sure.

I wish there was a way to read the manga with Ryotsu. It seems like something I'd enjoy. Fun character to play as.

After watching someone stream Luffy's campaign a bit and playing through some of Naruto's, it seems you run into a lot of the same events, although they might play out differently depending on the character you picked. Not sure.

I really wanted to get into Koichikame as well, since I enjoy slice of life comedies. It doesn't have many things in English, but I mostly watched/read everything there was that I could find. I watched a movie and read about 12 chapters of his manga. It's mostly what you'd expect from him.

Ryotsu is just a cop that slacks off a lot, and is always getting in trouble with his boss (the guy in his ultimate calling him a "baka"). He's also very good with using a spin top, and building little toys/gadgets. Some of the stuff he does is ridiculous and funny. One time he got put on suspension for writing something on a robot, and he decided to dig for treasure under his house to make money. He's pretty random like that. I'm actually planning on maining Ryotsu, if Oga, and Nube don't work out.

FYC

Banned
Haha. Yeah, it sounds pretty fun.

I'm stuck in Naruto's story mode.
After fighting Nube, Naruto and Killua joined him and ran away from Gon and Yusuke for some reason, also hopping on Nube's ship. Now there are no markers on the map, so I don't know how to progress. I'm guessing I have to buy something for the ship, but I can't read the quest log. If anyone figures out how to progress past this part, lemme know!

Oh well. I have plenty of characters to play with in the meantime.

Dragoshi1

How do you unlock new characters for purchase?

Would I be able to buy Bobobo, Medaka, or Koro-Sensei from the get-go?

FYC

Banned

You need character tokens to buy characters, you start with 2. They also cost 2,500 J-Points, and you start with 10k JP(11k if you simply open the online mode). You can buy 2 of those 3 right off the bat. You unlock more tokens in story mode, they come really fast. Hell, just doing the tutorial gives you 5 extra tokens. Won't take long to get the characters you want. JP is earned by playing just about everything(offline, online, story battles, etc).

Supports are only 2k JP. They also require a token.

At the start your able to buy 2 characters of your choosing. Then you have to play story mode to unlock character slots. After you have a character slot, you can use J-Points (which are obtained from fighting in any mode) to buy them.

Someone correct me if I got something wrong.

FYC

Banned
That...counts as advanced combos? I mean, I didn't expect this game to be combo heavy or anything nor does it need to be, but "Squarex3->jump->Squarex2" counts as advanced?

Eh, advanced is just the word SGZ used on their site. Think you can do a bit more than that.

I only know maybe 1/4 or 1/2 of the characters on the roster so I was wondering.. canonically who's the strongest character? Or top 5 strongest? I assumed it's all Goku everything, but I really don't know lol

FYC

Banned
Hmm, figured out how to get past the part I was stuck on.

Had to go to the far left of the map and pick up a crate. Then a main mission marker appeared.

so right now it says my order status is "Security Check". does that just mean they are processing my order? ive never used play asia before so im a little nervous

Takao

Banned
Oh man, this is a Spike Chunsoft game. This is what the Raging Blast guys have been up to ... Yeah, I'm not buying this at its current price.

OK my first impressions after 1 hour of play

Gameplay is alright , pretty fun , i still think the game is a little too slow but i may need to get used to it.
Story is total nonsense of the highest order , they don't even bother to explain the obvious stuff like how can timeskip luffy met ace outside of alabasta except "because". But i have to admit that putting boa hancock + gintoki on the same boat made a pretty fun scene..

Story mode is alright then the game is not ugly , but it's not that pretty either , it just work , HOWEVER i'm quite disapointed that the campaign story mode is just text with cocasional oneliner from the main characters ONLY. Game should have been full voiced , but i think it would be a mess to do that with so many franchises ..t's still a missed opportunity ... if you guys don't know japanese you'll miss ALL THE JOKES

Now battles , i wish i could skip the victory bonus animation.. the finishers are all cool , but the bonus mid battles get annoying quite fast.

The levels ..are all fine , with plenty of cool stuff to do evade and counter , run away BUT the toriko level is garbage... my god this level ... it's not fun to play here veetables in your way , preventing you from rushing toward your opponents, they are so huge it's still a pain even if you destroy them and the middle portion of the level annoy me to no end because i still think that jumping is a viable option but if you do that here you'll go on the upper level ( with the leaves ) cutting yourself from your opponent. in short i don't like this level.

I REALLY DONT.

So game is cool , i'm having fun ..Except when i'm playing on toriko level.

Netto-kun

That...counts as advanced combos? I mean, I didn't expect this game to be combo heavy or anything nor does it need to be, but "Squarex3->jump->Squarex2" counts as advanced?
Yeah, it actually says "recommended combo video" in the video. So no idea where the translators got "advanced" from. :p

FYC

Banned
Well, stuck again. The only mission available to me is one in the arctic area of the map, but I can't drive the ship through the cold winds. This is after
you obtain the upgrade that lets you fly the ship higher.
I did a bunch of other side missions, there's no main mission. Only thing I can see on the map is that mission in the arctic. I did also pick up a mission from Master Roshi that I don't know how to complete it. If anyone figures this part out, please share!

Anyways, now I have every playable character except one. Yay.

Uraizen

Banned
so right now it says my order status is "Security Check". does that just mean they are processing my order? ive never used play asia before so im a little nervous

They did that for me when I ordered some HK cards from them for BBCP. It should take a day max, I had them in an hour or two.

Anyone get the game today?

Estimated time of arrival was at 10:30AM then after that it went to N/A...... was hoping to play and make a video today since I'm off today...

FYC

Banned
Oh right, I forgot to ask, is there a demo?

Don't think so.

Finally finished Naruto's campaign and got all the characters(support included). Feels good. If anyone's ever stuck, just go interact with a bunch of the areas on the map. Eventually a main mission marker should pop up. Also, after you meet
Nueno
, you need to go to the far west side of the map and pick up a crate. I'm still not sure if character tokens are unlocked from doing sidequests or from leveling up. Someone on Gamefaqs said you need to level up the blue bar. I don't know how you level it outside of story mode, but a couple of people said they've unlocked tokens just by playing online / with friends.

FYC

Banned
Ah, sorry, my bad. Just booted it up myself and checked, there is indeed versus! Yay! It runs fine, screens are a little small.

finally got my codes from P-A!!!!!!

hopefully it doesnt take too long to set this up. You just make a jpn account and download from there right?

Namikaze

Did any of you guys get the Vita version yet? Any impressions? I'm curious about the framerate, graphics, etc. Is it native res?

jtan

...There are people still reading Bleach!?

I'm kidding of course, but I lost interest and stopped reading after that whole Fullbring arc. Though you're absolutely right, she has been useless for some time. I like her more than Ichigo, for whatever that's worth.

I mentioned it on the last page but I'll say it again... I know D.Gray-man isn't even a SJ manga anymore, but man, it was decently big in Japan when it was. Bumping Allen Walker to playable and maybe making Lenalee support, since they were both playable in the DS games, wouldn't have been too much to ask. I mean, we have Medaka. Why do we have Medaka and not them? :( They were really generous with all the other franchises... Tsuna, for example, was a surprise to say the least.

My biggest complaint was not having more Reborn! characters, I know it's not as popular as one piece or naruto but man using Chrome/Mukuro's illusions or Ryohei's boxing or Squallo/Yamamoto's sword fighting.. ughh

baekshi

Banned
and cdjapan shipped it. expected delivery tomorrow. this is way better than lazy nippon yasan and them having "too many orders".

Top Bottom