• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan to get lifetime achievement Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Favorite fight moment that hasn't been mentioned yet (from Operation Condor):

HnKxkl7SUCsQE.gif

Front flip, stopped at the last moment to avoid the kick, super fast spin to the ground, then followed by kick to the butt + kip-up. :) So good.

- J - D -

If this was like 15 years ago I'd be ecstatic, but now knowing better I'm still glad for him, but I don't like him like I used to.

Congrats, Jackie, but you're an asshole.

MTV gave him a lifetime achievement award TWENTY years ago. Presented by Quetin Tarantino.

https://youtu.be/B4C_WJdZiYA

This is where I first saw clips from his films!! Blew my teenage mind. I didn't have access to any of those films, so Rumble in the Bronx was my first chance to see him in action. It was crazy to think that just about anything could happen in a given fight scene. Things that would leave your jaw hanging... especially since he was (by and large) doing it all himself.

karasu

Pay attention directors who use quick cuts and shaky ass cameras in fight scenes. Clear framing and smooth ass dolly work is what gets you noticed.

It just occurred to me; Is there anyone who doesn't like Jackie Chan? Is such a thing even possible?

People who don't like that he's pretty much become a spokesperson for China's communist regime.

Quite frankly...

I don't care :D (okay, that's a little harsh... I'm pretty much saying that his political views really don't affect my enjoyment of his early HK era flicks)

*loads Police Story 1 on VUDU*

His son was arrested for possession of marijuana and spent time in prison. There are rumors that he pissed off the son of a very high up government official in a nightclub in Beijing. Despite Jackie's connection and influence with the Chinese government, Jaycee couldn't avoid a prison sentence. Anyways, my point is that his son wouldn't hate him. If anyone were to hate him, that would be his wife.

Jimrpg

I have just about seen everyone of his older movies. His movies were just something else, and honestly hold up today because the action hasn't been surpassed.

Go back and watch his older stuff in the 80s!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hell yea, dude literally sacrificed his body for decades for his art. this is well deserved.

Moonkeis

Awesome, well deserved. I had the chance to meet him at a restaurant during the time when he was shooting Rush Hour 2 in Vegas, really humble guy in person.

Ok where is this from?

City Hunter. There is scene completely out of nowhere in the later half of the movie in which Jackie starts hallucinating after being slammed into a Street Fighter 2 arcade machine by his opponent. What happens is the most hilarious yet oddly accurate rendition of Street Fighter 2 in live action ever, trying to mimic even the low animation and right down to the original sound effects.

It's more wonderful and absurd than it sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkvPmHRI7E

This is a thing of beauty.

walei

Deserved the award as an action star, but I still don't like him as a person.

His comment about "I made a mistake all men would make" when the world found out he has a illegitimate child really left a bad taste in mouth. That was before he became political that REALLY irked me.

Filmoutput? Eh, that will happen.

Nobody will ever make movies like Jackie did again. Insurance and workplace safety standards are so different now than they were in '70s/'80s Hong Kong; nobody is allowed to put their body on the line the way they were back then, even if they're willing. Jackie was such a perfectionist, and so ready to film a simple shot hundreds of times or hurt himself to make it look right on camera.

Not to mention a lot of the time Jackie was writing, directing, starring in, choreographing the action scenes, being his own stuntman, and singing the theme song over the ending credit montage of him injuring himself. The man is a legend the likes of which we'll never see again.

LmjypGT.gif

LQwrg9M.gif

untitled-4z7p7j.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Does this mean we will get a best stuntman award or action scene/stunts at the Oscars? I'm not joking, that shit is long since due.

SeanC

I watched all of his movies last spring. Dude raised the bar on every action filmmaking technique and directors today often still can't match him.

Curious who he'll be thanking. He had some close collaborators over the years but I think a lot of them have fallen out of favor with him.

Llyranor

Nobody will ever make movies like Jackie did again. Insurance and workplace safety standards are so different now than they were in '70s/'80s Hong Kong; nobody is allowed to put their body on the line the way they were back then, even if they're willing. Jackie was such a perfectionist, and so ready to film a simple shot hundreds of times or hurt himself to make it look right on camera.

70's/80's/even 90's HK cinema was really a golden era we'll never see again.

Not to mention a lot of the time Jackie was writing, directing, starring in, choreographing the action scenes, being his own stuntman, and singing the theme song over the ending credit montage of him injuring himself. The man is a legend the likes of which we'll never see again.

http://i.imgur.com/LmjypGT.gif[/IMG]
http://i.imgur.com/LQwrg9M.gif[/IMG]
http://abload.de/img/untitled-4z7p7j.gif[/IMG]

70's/80's/even 90's HK cinema was really a golden era we'll never see again.

Yeah, that era of film making is gone, but man the output was ridiculous amazing. Awesome gifs matrix-cat; Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen together was damn near magical.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Kinda cool, but this is transparently motivated by a need to suck up to China.

I'm a pretty big fan of his, 100 plus dvd's and blue rays. And got to witness the horrible post 90's of his career and while I like what he does I can see where being his son would be absolutely terrible.

Watched most of his interviews etc, if you imagine living with him and as to what he says and acts about parenting, you'll find it looks picky and nagging more than anything. Like thier traditional views mostly no surprise about his ties with China. everything else he does as far as action and such is fine for me and oval a I don't care what his personality is outsise that.

I don't really care if he gets an Oscar as that has no meaning to me. I'd rather someone give him the chance at making good movies again. Even though he may not be doing much action, one more time would be great admitting below he's 65. Last police story movies just weren't all that.

Shinjuku I actually quite enjoyed but Jackie doesn't always dubai well in these serious roles imo

They need a serious but still funny rush hour again three didn't feel nearly as good to me.

Other than that, jaycee won't be a good actor likely as his father was never a top actor, just an action star which he did very well.

Will continue to collect all of his movies and various regions as well.

Got a few things last year, love the box art and case. May post later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom