• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter Collection |OT|

So for someone who hasn't played Jak & Daxter ( I know, shoot me ). Would you guys recommend these games?

yes. I played these games a few years ago and enjoyed them alot. I think theres something for everybody in these games wether you like platforming, shooting, vehicles, etc. so its definetly worth the pick up. Story is pretty good and the series goes into wild directions. Plus its from Naughty Dog.....come on dude

Awesome games, some of the best on the PS2, which is saying a lot, seeing how many great games it had. 2 is incredible, despite the stupid GTA wannabe city stuff. Quite difficult in some places. 3 may be even better - there is a lot of driving but it is not a difficult or frustrating game, maybe except for the last boss, which is a bit annoying. 1 is a very nice platformer, but it is quite impossible to replay imo, it is just way, way too easy. It's easier than the first four normal worlds in SM3DL. Still a very cool game though. The contrast with 2 in difficulty may come as a bit of a shock to some people I think :)

anddo0

I'm staring at my copies of Jak 1 and 2 now.. However, I can't pass up hd/sub-hd and trophies. I'll start with Jak 1 for now.

This series is, pound for pound, a better GAME than the Uncharted series

Wish ND can go back to games like this
I don't think they can even if they wanted. They changed from making GAMES to making interactive experiences. Some of the key heads of Naughty Dog that worked on the Jak and Daxter franchise are no longer with Naughty Dog. Why do you think they abandoned the Jak 4 project for The Last of Us?

wabo

Banned
I don't think they can even if they wanted. They changed from making GAMES to making interactive experiences. Some of the key heads of Naughty Dog that worked on the Jak and Daxter franchise are no longer with Naughty Dog. Why do you think they abandoned the Jak 4 project for The Last of Us?

Because they were leaving behind the cartoony design and it, well, just doesn't work with J&D.

A really see the next-gen as a whole new great chest for cartoony games like J&D which would look closer to a movie than more realistic counterparts. A new J&D really fits there.

Loudninja

IGN review 9.0
The upscaling showcases how gorgeous these three games are. The Precursor Legacy didn't age as gracefully, though its environments are arguably the best in the series. But the second and especially the third game outshine many of the other HD collection counterparts. The 3D effect doesn't add a lot to the package, save for some cool moments when you're racing in vehicles, or in those spots where you can see large sections of the environment that show off the depth of the world.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218157p1.html

so, unless we're accusing ign being Sony shill, is there possibility that the screenshot we got of Jak collection is simply bad screenshot and not representative of the actual game?

maybe it is actually 720p

Jak games have always looked bad in screenshots but extremely good in motion. Having said that, the pixel counters at beyond3d have already said that the games are only 960x720. EDIT - Actually it was someone from this forum who said that.

Loudninja

so, unless we're accusing ign being Sony shill, is there possibility that the screenshot we got of Jak collection is simply bad screenshot and not representative of the actual game?

maybe it is actually 720p
I have no clue, desturtoid gave it high praise as well.

Atolm

Jak games have always looked bad in screenshots but extremely good in motion. Having said that, the pixel counters at beyond3d have already said that the games are only 960x720. EDIT - Actually it was someone from this forum who said that.

Holy shit if this is true.

Cels

Just this right?

KingK

Just opened it up and about to start. The manual is really slim, but oh well. I still have my awesome map that came with The Precursor Legacy.

Oneself

I got the blu-ray today, I just tried the 1st game and it is definitely jaggy.
Sub-HD or not; it would benefit greatly from some AA or something like that.

It still looks really good in motion though and it's definitely more interesting than playing the PS2 version today. What I've seen so far is a rock-solid 60fps in-game but with some strange frame-drops in the cutscenes at the very same places where the drops were in the original PS2 game. Looks more like an engine thing than lazy programming...

anddo0

Jak 1 is a lot of fun so far. Man I miss games like this.

Sub-hd or not. It still looks much better than the PS2 version or BC via PS3.

anddo0

I got the blu-ray today, I just tried the 1st game and it is definitely jaggy.
Sub-HD or not; it would benefit greatly from some AA or something like that.

It still looks really good in motion though and it's definitely more interesting than playing the PS2 version today. What I've seen so far is a rock-solid 60fps in-game but with some strange frame-drops in the cutscenes at the very same places where the drops were in the original PS2 game. Looks more like an engine thing than lazy programming...

I don't see it.. Maybe it's my tv filter?

dp sorry.

NIGHT-

hmmm.. Reviews are pretty positive. I had my doubts for this collection. I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale. Both ICO collection and GOW collection went on sale before I even had time to play them

Sydle

Buying this for the original, one of my favorite platformers of all time. I doubt I'll play 2 or 3 again.

I definitely want this collection but I need to check if I have any of these games. I know I got Jak 1 as a gift and it's still in the plastic wrap because I didn't own a PS2 back then.

I don't know if I should buy the whole collection or just J&D. The first game is my favorite non-Nintendo/Rareware platformer, but I never got into 2 or 3.

I only played Jak II for a few hours, but I couldn't get past the changes. They randomly gave him guns and made him angry. That really turned me off.

If there's any bonus beyond graphics and trophies, I'll definitely get this. 1 was an amazing game, though it was an experience that couldn't really be replayed. 2 and 3 were great too, and I remember the time-traveling stuff exploding my young mind.

I just downloaded the first game from the PSN. IMO this franchise fell apart after that. I always had a soft spot in my heart for the first game though, so I was so happy to see Sony allowed you to buy them individually today. :)

Derrick01

Banned
I thought 2 and 3 were taking forever to download but turns out while playing Reckoning it pauses downloads. Most likely because of the completely unnecessary EA online servers tracking your data (even though you can turn it off).

You never fail to find ways to piss me off EA!

I just picked up the digital versions on the PSN. Excited to play them, as I didn't when they first came out.

First impressions - Jak I didn't age well in terms of graphics. I think the God of War Collection, Metal Gear Solid collection, and Shadow of the Colossus & Ico bundles held up much better in my opinion. I am curious to see if Jak II or Jak III are any better looking.

Really fun gameplay, and I am enjoying Jak I so far. That's what matters!

Update: I really like the humor in the game. Daxter's dances are pretty funny. I like the vibe and feeling the game has.

KingK

Oh man, nostalgia overload. Jak and Daxter was the game that came with my PS2 when I got it 10 years ago. I played the game to 100% completion twice, and a couple other times not getting 100%. I just played up to Rock Village tonight. Still so good.

I probably had more hours logged on Jak 2 than any other PS2 game I owned.

I just picked up the digital versions on the PSN. Excited to play them, as I didn't when they first came out.

First impressions - Jak I didn't age well in terms of graphics. I think the God of War Collection, Metal Gear Solid collection, and Shadow of the Colossus & Ico bundles held up much better in my opinion. I am curious to see if Jak II or Jak III are any better looking.

Really fun gameplay, and I am enjoying Jak I so far. That's what matters!

Update: I really like the humor in the game. Daxter's dances are pretty funny. I like the vibe and feeling the game has.

Keep in mind that Jak and Daxter came out in 2001. The 2nd and 3rd games look a lot better in graphics.

SoulClap

Picked up the first title on PSN. Game could definitly use more AA and sound mix is not good. Regardless it looks decent in motion and I still enjoy the game.

Grabbed Jak 1 - huge fan of this game when it first released (Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin are bosses), but was never able to get on board with the darker, 'serious' tone of it's sequels so I never tried them.

Just wondering if someone could fill me in on what I'm missing.

BHK3

Banned
So is the game sub-HD? I'm hearing a lot of stuff about frame rate drops, whats going on with those?

Keep in mind that Jak and Daxter came out in 2001. The 2nd and 3rd games look a lot better in graphics.

Hmm, that's what I figured. Not a terrible thing, just an observation. While playing the game, that initial impression quickly passed. Really enjoying the first one so far.

Top Bottom