• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter Collection |OT|

CLEEK

J&D1 is wonderful, and has aged beautifully. Some legacy camera options idiocy aside, it holds up perfectly well today. Not that I am that surprised by this, as in its day, it was second only to Mario 64 in the 3D platformers stakes.

KingK

Just got to the Red Sage's house in J&D. The game is still amazing (especially the animation), but it does seem shorter than I remembered. Still, the charm and cohesiveness of the world is impressive. It's always been my favorite traditional 3d platformer (Including Mario games).

About how long is Jak 2? I think that was the longest one.

KingK

at red Sage's place. game rocks.

does anyone else panic when the get in the water?

Oh god. That *thump thump, thump thump* makes my heart start racing every time. Fuck the lurker fish.

oh man that takes me back, fuck that shark fin fish. Is red sage level the level with that huge under water dome/dungeon type place?
No, the underwater Precursor City level is in the Blue Sage's area. The Red Sage's place is in a volcano. It has the snowy level and the cave level there.

Which reminds me, I can't wait to play that snowy mountain level again.

T-0800

JD1 was my first PS2 game and I loved every moment of it. Really annoyed me that the sequels, while really great games, were plagued with tearing. 3 more so than 2. Funny how this generation UC1 had tearing and the sequels have none. I would have prefered 2 and 3 used the first games image quality to ensure a locked 60fps. I hate tearing.

I recently played my copy of J&D on my PS2 and it still impressed me. Love it.

If this collection fixes the tearing problems of 2 and 3 on PS2 I will buy it.

Derrick01

Banned
Man modern gaming has pussied me up too much. I keep getting stressed out over there being hardly any checkpoints in the Jak 2 missions. I've died several times pretty far in only to respawn at the entrance to the area with full enemy respawns, ready to throw my controller.

I love it. It's bringing back skills I lost thanks to this generation.

I dislike how Jak 2 and 3 became more like GTA. Same thing with Sly Cooper. I loved the first, but dislike the direction the sequels took. With Ratchet And Clank, i loved all of them.

Duffyside

Banned
Hate to be a buzzkill, but after really trying to get hyped for this game, thinking it would be a day 1, watching lots of youtube vids of the old games and now Giant Bomb's Quick Look... I just don't see the appeal.

Uncharted is my favorite thing in gaming, and when someone said it was very much like Mario 64 (the best game ever) in structure, my jaw dropped. But man... I don't see what's fun here. Yes, the animations are good, and the world (in the first) is sort of pretty? I...

Can someone link to a video that shows why the game is FUN? I really don't mean to be a buzzkill and rain on people's parade here, and clearly the game is even reviewing well after all these years. I'm just really stunned to see that this game doesn't seem to be for me. I really want it to be for me!

Hate to be a buzzkill, but after really trying to get hyped for this game, thinking it would be a day 1, watching lots of youtube vids of the old games and now Giant Bomb's Quick Look... I just don't see the appeal.

Uncharted is my favorite thing in gaming, and when someone said it was very much like Mario 64 (the best game ever) in structure, my jaw dropped. But man... I don't see what's fun here. Yes, the animations are good, and the world (in the first) is sort of pretty? I...

Can someone link to a video that shows why the game is FUN? I really don't mean to be a buzzkill and rain on people's parade here, and clearly the game is even reviewing well after all these years. I'm just really stunned to see that this game doesn't seem to be for me. I really want it to be for me!

Uncharted like Super Mario 64? LOL

hamchan

It's just a good platformer. So jumping around, punching stuff, breaking boxes, etc, pretty much all the things you'd expect from a platformer done very well. If you like platformers then the game should be fun.

Jak 1's strengths lie in its presentation imo. The gameplay is about as good as it can get for a platformer, but the charm, performance, and seamless world elevate it to god tier.

About how long is Jak 2? I think that was the longest one.

Around 10-12 hours to get through the story, maybe a bit longer if it's your first time playing. Collecting all the orbs (or even just enough to unlock Hero mode) will add several hours of play time. Jak 1 can be completed in ~4 hours and takes around 6-8 to complete 100%. Jak 3 takes around 8 hours to finish the story IIRC (haven't played it in a while).

Hayeya

Banned
I was blown away by JAck1 back in the day when i knew that you can see the whole levels if you can get high enough, i mean it just blew me when i realized that you can reach everything you see in horizon,,, with no Loading whatsoever (except for the island i guess),,, and graphically it was unlike anything anyone has seen at the day, Naughty Gods indeed

I was blown away by JAck1 back in the day when i knew that you can see the whole levels if you can get high enough, i mean it just blew me when i realized that you can reach everything you see in horizon,,, with no Loading whatsoever (except for the island i guess),,, and graphically it was unlike anything anyone has seen at the day, Naughty Gods indeed
naughty dog won an award for gaming's first seamless world i think

I don't know why everyone pretends that Jak 1 has no load times when travelling to Misty Island or Snowy Mountain forces you to watch a long cutscene which is very obviously a disguised load time. and also when you use the warp gates the game pauses to load for several seconds.

Smurf Yetti

Neo Member
I will buy this game eventually. I think I've beaten each game in the Jak series at least three times. Great games. $40 is a little to high for me though, especially for sub-HD. Probably will pick up when it's <=$30.

Around 10-12 hours to get through the story, maybe a bit longer if it's your first time playing. Collecting all the orbs (or even just enough to unlock Hero mode) will add several hours of play time. Jak 1 can be completed in ~4 hours and takes around 6-8 to complete 100%. Jak 3 takes around 8 hours to finish the story IIRC (haven't played it in a while).

Man! I must be slow. I am at 30% in Jak 1, and have about 3 to 4 hours in. I like to explore though.

bridegur

Jak 1 is easily better than Mario 64.

I don't agree entirely, but just because I think it feels more like Banjo-Kazooie than Mario 64. In that regard, I do think it is basically the perfect version of the BK formula. It's a shame they don't make platformers like it anymore.

Hayeya

Banned
I don't know why everyone pretends that Jak 1 has no load times when travelling to Misty Island or Snowy Mountain forces you to watch a long cutscene which is very obviously a disguised load time. and also when you use the warp gates the game pauses to load for several seconds.

Yeah it's true that there are some hidden loadings, but you have to consider that the ps2 had only 32 MB of rams so the machine can't load the whole level with everything in it to memory, thats why when warping it needs several seconds to load. But if you want to go from the begining to the end without warping you can without any single loading screen (except the island of course).

Balb

I never got into the series on the PS2 but the Quick Look on Giantbomb sold me. Though I have to say Daxter seems way too over-the-top just for the sake of it (in the first one anyway).

anddo0

Man! I must be slow. I am at 30% in Jak 1, and have about 3 to 4 hours in. I like to explore though.

I'm slow too. I gotta break every box, and collect every orb. I'm not even going for the platinum. But the fact that it has a counter for the scout flies and precursor orbs. I have to collect them all.. There's a puzzle element to collect all the precursor orbs. So that adds another layer to the game. It'll take me at least 7-10 hours to finish.

I regret not buying the bundle.. I want to play them all! I understand the other two take a different direction. But I'm open to change, as long as the game retains it's character.

ScOULaris

So what's the verdict on the image quality of these remasters? I've heard that they are a bit jaggy due to a lack of AA, but other than that (and the missing sun in J&D1) does everything look great in HD?

The one thing that annoys the shit out of me is that they just upscaled all of the UI elements instead of redrawing them at a higher resolution ala most of the Sony HD collections.

So what's the verdict on the image quality of these remasters? I've heard that they are a bit jaggy due to a lack of AA, but other than that (and the missing sun in J&D1) does everything look great in HD?
I'm playing J&D 1 and the image quality is very good. Everything looks great, I don't notice any jaggies (40" TV here).

e_i

Wasn't Jak and Daxter 1 a big thing back in the day because you could everything with no loading?

JohngPR

Wasn't Jak and Daxter 1 a big thing back in the day because you could everything with no loading?

Yes, it was one of the first games to do it (at least on consoles) if I'm not mistaken.

I absolutely loved Jak and Daxter 1 so I'm really looking forward to playing it again. When I first heard that Sony was doing these HD Remaster, J&D was the first series that came to mind.

Ha! Looking back, my review for Jak and Daxter 1 is counted towards its Metacritic score.

OmjjV.png

Hard to believe that was over 10 years ago! 0_o

SoulClap

The one thing that annoys the shit out of me is that they just upscaled all of the UI elements instead of redrawing them at a higher resolution ala most of the Sony HD collections.

The lack of AA is very noticeable. The draw distances and animation still make the game hold up well to me though even if the IQ is nowhere near the level of the Sly Cooper and G.O.W. collection.

Derrick01

Banned

I think Jak 2 looks pretty good. Everything looks a lot smoother than I remembered it being and it runs well for the most part. The 1st person inverted camera controls bothers me though.

TripOpt55

Started up Jak II this morning. Very fun. The city is still awkward to get around (I bump into guard vehicles even when I'm trying not too...haha, maybe I just need to get a handle on the zoomers again), but the missions are great.

Jak 1 looks vibrant and beautiful. I think it looks even better than Sly 1 HD. This coming from a guy who loves the Cel Shaded stuff in Sly. I hear Jak 2 and 3 look even better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For the 90% of the game there's none (I don't really count warps as an exception, as that's kind of the same thing as loading checkpoints), and even in one or two instances where there are, they are still masked by a cutscene.

You can run for really long distances and areas without being interrupted by any kind of visible loading.

Top Bottom