• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter Collection |OT|

Love this collection.

The cropped 4:3 is kind of annoying, but it was like that in the original game when you selected 16:9, so I'll live with it.

Besides, you still have plenty of room to see what's coming at you, I've never died as a result of not being able to see something I otherwise would have (of course, that might be because the first game isn't particularly difficult).

Quite frankly, I'll be honest and say I would have bought the thing for the up-rezed version of Jak 3. One of my favorite PS2 games ever. Amy Hennig is god.

Skidd

Just started playing, and I know it's been 10 years, but the vistas (in J&D) still have me mesmerized.

Can't wait to reach the Precursor temple and Snowy Mountain.

I really love these games. Finished Jak 3 a few days ago. I would kill for Naughty Dog to come back to the Jak series eventually, but I don't see it happening :(

SykoTech

Game's been out for awhile. Are the trophies really hard here, or is there just no Jak 4 teaser?

Didn't take long at all for the Sly 4 teaser to get uploaded, but I heard the trophies in that Collection were really easy....

TripOpt55

I could have sworn you only had to beat the three Sly games to unlock the teaser, not get the platinums. I could be wrong. Regardless if there was a new Jak teaser, I think it would have been unlocked by now. Surely someone has all three platinums. Getting all the orbs in Jak 2/3 are much harder than anything in the Sly games though. Those trophies were super-easy.

SykoTech

I could have sworn you only had to beat the three Sly games to unlock the teaser, not get the platinums. I could be wrong. Regardless if there was a new Jak teaser, I think it would have been unlocked by now. Surely someone has all three platinums. Getting all the orbs in Jak 2/3 are much harder than anything in the Sly games though. Those trophies were super-easy.

I wouldn't know myself, but a quick Wiki check saves that it unlocks after "completing" all the games in the Sly Collection. So you're probably right.

Guess that means no Jak 4 teaser then. :/

i really doubt there's anything in it.

me and my mate (who love jak and our elementary years were all about planning making jak 4 ourselves; lol ) did a all nighter and finished jak 1 2 and 3... nada..

jak 1 took 5 hrs,
jak 2 took 8 hrs (dear god)
jak 3 took 6 hrs.

hah.....yeah... ganna go back now and plat the damn things.

money well spent!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Wrong..you had to get all 3 platinum trophies to unlock the Sly 4 teaser. I know, since i did it myself. If i recall, the Sly 4 teaser leaked on youtube about 2 weeks after the collection came out from someone getting all the platinums, so if the method is the same for a potential Jak 4 trailer, its too early. Plus, the 3 platinums for the Sly Collection were fairly simple to get. The Jak 2 and Jak 3 platinums i imagine will be tough to get so we probably have a while until we know for sure.

kingkaiser

So, has any european gamer got the game yet? I preodered from the Hut, only to get two apology emails from them, telling me that they have problems with their suppliers...current status is "dispatched within a month".

Also, i find it pretty hilarious that there are like 3 different launch dates in europe for this game. February 24th in the UK, 29th in Germany and the March 16th in France...

TripOpt55

Wrong..you had to get all 3 platinum trophies to unlock the Sly 4 teaser. I know, since i did it myself. If i recall, the Sly 4 teaser leaked on youtube about 2 weeks after the collection came out from someone getting all the platinums, so if the method is the same for a potential Jak 4 trailer, its too early. Plus, the 3 platinums for the Sly Collection were fairly simple to get. The Jak 2 and Jak 3 platinums i imagine will be tough to get so we probably have a while until we know for sure.

Yeah, I did it too, but didn't remember if it unlocked after merely beating Sly 3 or after getting the platinum, but I'll take your word for it.

Anyway, I went and checked the PS3trophies.org site to see if anyone had platinumed all three and I saw that at least two people had though I imagine there are more. No mention of a teaser of any kind on the forums. One even said he hoped there was a Jak 4, so you'd think he would have checked for a teaser. I don't know. I don't really think there is a teaser.

Tagg9

I have a BD reader on my computer, and I actually checked to see if there was a file along the lines of "jak4" on the disc, but I couldn't find anything. :( There are really only 4 files - humongous ones for each game, and some kind of boot file that is likely the menu.

The sad news is that there probably isn't a trailer.

jimi_dini

Anyone in here already got a European copy?

I would really like to know, if the UK copy also includes other languages like for example French, German, Italian, Japanese, etc. Previous HD collections did.

lol jak 2 is so easy

the fucking yellow gun man, with the jump spin, no need to aim or try

On some missions where ammo is scarce, you burn through ammo way too quickly for that move to be constantly viable. Lifesaver against the quicker metalheads though

On some missions where ammo is scarce, you burn through ammo way too quickly for that move to be constantly viable. Lifesaver against the quicker metalheads though

I don't agree with this. Whenever I play Jak 2 I basically spam the spin + shoot move throughout the whole game and I never really run into ammo shortages. You obviously can't spam it TOO much, but you'll be fine as long as you don't use it in situations where it's completely unnecessary.

Hixx

Ugh, Jak and Daxter has froze on me 3 times now, in less than 5 hours. Screen freezes, music still plays but console otherwise completely locked up...

Manawolf

Neo Member
Myself and a friend have both gotten 202 Precursor Orbs in JII, and Hero Mode says "Unlocked," but it isn't available from the title screen. Just a row of question marks, as it is before you get enough orbs. Anyone else have this problem yet?

Tell me this port isn't lacking Hero Mode :(

jimi_dini

Myself and a friend have both gotten 202 Precursor Orbs in JII, and Hero Mode says "Unlocked," but it isn't available from the title screen. Just a row of question marks, as it is before you get enough orbs. Anyone else have this problem yet?

You need to go to secrets, select "Hero Mode" in there and then press a button (I don't know which one, would have to boot up my PS2) to start a new file on hero mode. It's not available through the title screen.

Manawolf

Neo Member
You need to go to secrets, select "Hero Mode" in there and then press a button (I don't know which one, would have to boot up my PS2) to start a new file on hero mode. It's not available through the title screen.

No, don't boot the PS2, I'm talking about the new HD Collection on the PS3. It isn't working the same. (I could make a Hero save file for the original JII in my sleep.)

I have enough orbs, it says it's unlocked in the Secrets list, but Hero Mode isn't available from the Secrets menu off the title screen, where it normally is if I play off the PS2 disk.

I did try going to select Hero Mode off the in-game Secrets menu and tried pressing every button on the controller, but nothing. If there's a secret combination, do tell.

Seriously, has anyone made a JII Hero Mode savefile on the HD Collection yet? We can't be the only two gamers who've gotten enough orbs by now. If it's just us, I'd love to hear it, at least then we'd know it's a bizarre glitch on our parts.

jimi_dini

I have enough orbs, it says it's unlocked in the Secrets list, but Hero Mode isn't available from the Secrets menu off the title screen, where it normally is if I play off the PS2 disk.

I did try going to select Hero Mode off the in-game Secrets menu and tried pressing every button on the controller, but nothing. If there's a secret combination, do tell.

If that's true, it would seriously suck
although not playing hero mode will keep your sanity
. I still have not received my copy yet (it wasn't even sent out yet), damn you thehut.

EDIT: according to gamefaqs forums it should work.

Manawolf

Neo Member
If that's true, it would seriously suck
although not playing hero mode will keep your sanity
. I still have not received my copy yet (it wasn't even sent out yet), damn you thehut.

EDIT: according to gamefaqs forums it should work.

O-kaaay, the strangest thing happened this afternoon, I checked it again and suddenly the Hero Mode selection was right where it should be. I hadn't played any more on that savefile since I last looked, either - no new orbs, nothing. No idea why it suddenly decided to appear.

Weird.

Farewell, sanity! Didn't use it much anyway.

BHZ Mayor

Everytime I see this thread bumped, I keep hoping for a definite yes or no for whether there's a Jak 4 teaser or any reward for that matter for the 3 plats. It's probably 99.99999999% safe to say no anyway. :(

Manawolf

Neo Member
whether there's a Jak 4 teaser

I would lay money on No. Evan Wells said that NDI has looked at making a J&D 4, but have refrained because they couldn't come up with an idea that would retain the games' creative integrity. (Or something like that, I'm paraphrasing.)

Acrylic7

well damn. Never thought Id say it, but the Jak 1 ending is just as bad as Kz3 ending/

101 precursor orbs and I think Im in for a treat. But no, glowing light> credits >:S

Pachimari

So no impressions of the 3D in Jak & Daxter? Other than the IGN snippet and the 30fps.

I'm looking to buy this one alone on PSN and play it in 3D with the HMZ-T1.

jimi_dini

I really want to punch the one responsible for CROPPING the top 10-20% of the screen in Jak 2. Some missions especially the one where you have to defend samos in the forest are just unfair because of that. You can't see the enemies floating in the air, but of course they can shoot you.

And the one responsible for having no up/down camera movement at Naughty Dog needs to get fired. Hopefully that person is already not working at ND anymore. Who thought this was a good idea. Oh yeah, jumping over platforms with the camera stuck in straight view, great idea.

jimi_dini

Finally got my Jak II platinum.

Someone mentioned that Hero Mode wouldn't work. I just tried. It works just fine. Has to be selected from main menu, enter Secrets. Go to hero mode, press X. It asks for a slot for hero mode, select it. Done, game starts on hero mode.

Derrick01

Banned
So I put a few minutes into Jak 1 a few days ago but I really put the time in today. I have to say just how amazing this looks in HD. I remember it looking good for its time, and I'm not sure how much work was put in to this one to improve it, but I started off in day time at the starting village and actually saying "woah" for a game that came out in like 2001.

Naughty Dog are truly wizards.

Yaska

So no impressions of the 3D in Jak & Daxter? Other than the IGN snippet and the 30fps.

I'm looking to buy this one alone on PSN and play it in 3D with the HMZ-T1.

Late post:
So far I've only tried Jak 1 in 3D and it has been quite a good effect in my opinion. There really is "deepness" effect. I find menus bit weary to watch however. Also the game will ask everytime wether or not to enable the 3D mode. I have to play it bit further in 3D to give better assesment, as I've only played the first stages.

jimi_dini

Got all platinums now.

And Jak 3 is somewhat buggy. I lost sound several times completely. As soon as I restarted a mission/died, sound returned. And then got lost again. It seems Jak 3 wasn't tested properly. Also music volume settings don't stick. Strangely voice volume sticks. I really hate the Jak II/Jak 3 music, so I turned it to 0%. Then sometimes after cutscenes, music starts playing with volume at 100%. Then sometimes after another cutscene, music stops again.

And I really forgot how broken the vehicle controls of Jak 3 are. And I can't believe no one at Naughty Dog thought about adding up/down to the camera. How difficult would that have been, seriously.

This is driving me crazy, did they remove the Subtitle option for the Jak & Daxter: TPL? I could have sworn I was able to enable that in the original game.

Dilemma, guys.

Haven't played more than an hour of either series, which should I pick up in 30 minutes?

Jak and Daxter Collection or Devil May Cry Collection?

ScOULaris

Dilemma, guys.

Haven't played more than an hour of either series, which should I pick up in 30 minutes?

Jak and Daxter Collection or Devil May Cry Collection?

That's a tough call, actually. The Jak games make the transition into HD a little better than DMC, but I think that DMC1/3 are two of the best action games ever made.

I'd say go with DMC Collection.

ajf009

just picked this up a few days ago, I plat'd the first and am about 70% done with JII.. I don't think i'll ever be able to find all the orbs for the plat haha

Absolutely bored today and have been wanting to spend this £15 I had left over on PSN.

So picked up Jak 1, and downloading now :) I think I played the demo when younger, but that's it as far as my experience with the series is - really hoping for a fun/varied experience.

krae_man

I forgot how annoying it was traveling between missions in Jak II. Go talk to Krew, Then he gives you a mission at the very top of the map. So boring. The traffic and patrols really slow things down.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I forgot how annoying it was traveling between missions in Jak II. Go talk to Krew, Then he gives you a mission at the very top of the map. So boring. The traffic and patrols really slow things down.

And the fact that if you even breathe on the patrolling guards wrong they start attacking you. Pretty annoying.

Top Bottom