• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter Collection |OT|

Atruvius

Anyone tested if Jak 3 still has the light Jak infinite flight glitch? You could fly anywhere with the wings if you tapped the button in the right tempo.

TripOpt55

Finished up Jak II this morning. Not really a fan of that final boss. I hate when the challenge from a boss comes from just throwing a bunch of regular enemies at you. Really enjoyed the game. More than I remember. Going to start up Jak 3 tonight.

ScOULaris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GT4Ppbg257g

great video

p.s. so, the games are sub HD or not XD ?

That was a pretty awesome video. I do wish they would have focused more on Mass Media's remastering efforts, though. It was more of a retrospective on the series (the first game, especially) than a documentary about the HD remasters.

PS - I just ordered my copy of the collection off of Amazon last night. Hopefully I'll be playing it sometime next week.
3AQmK.gif

JohngPR

Totally loved that behind the scenes look.

Kind of makes you appreciate what Mass Media had to do to get the game running on PS3 hardware, and it's really cool to see Jason Rubin and Andy Gavin again.

It's really neat to see just how many guys are still at Naughty Dog that had a hand in making the Jak and Daxter games.

Crap, I've just noticed an email from Amazon (UK) saying the release date has been delayed by a week. It was supposed to be released on Friday:
Hello,

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

"The Jak and Daxter Trilogy (PS3)"
Estimated arrival date: February 24 2012

I've checked a few other websites and thay've updated the date as well. I was really looking forward to playing this in the weekend.

TripOpt55

Over halfway through Jak 3. I love this game. I did have an issue in a couple of the missions in the desert where I could barely see at all when the storms were coming in. I know that is the idea, but I don't recall it ever being this ridiculous. I mean I was using the map to help me drive at one point.

Was Jak 1's fov always so damn zoomed in? I haven't played it in many years and I don't remember the view being so suffocating. I guess I'll get used to it.

ScOULaris

Was Jak 1's fov always so damn zoomed in? I haven't played it in many years and I don't remember the view being so suffocating. I guess I'll get used to it.

It's been a while since I've played Jak 1 (still waiting for my copy of the collection to arrive), but doesn't up/down on the right analog stick zoom in and out a bit?

I'll ask everytime this thread got bumped, anyone got all platinum yet? They even show the percentage completion of your game in game select screen. Surely there must be something?

VanWinkle

Bought Jak 1 off of PSN yesterday. The first game is one of my favorite games of all time, but it's been a good 7 or 8 years since I've played it. I was initially thrown back by the graphics (the lack of texture detail), but as soon as the gameplay started, you don't notice it or at least I didn't. Such a good game. The animations are still first class.

ascii42

Could be because it's widescreen. They probably take the 4:3 view and cut off some of the top and bottom.

VanWinkle

Anyone know if these will be available individually on PSN? I'm up for Jak 1, but 2 and 3 are of no interest to me.

lol, you could have looked at the post right above yours.

ascii42 said:
Could be because it's widescreen. They probably take the 4:3 view and cut off some of the top and bottom.

I though, "surely they didn't actually do that," but sure enough, it looks like they did:

jakdaxter2.jpg
jakdaxterhd.jpg

JohngPR

I platinumed Jak I yesterday. That game is still a lot of fun. Really colorful and vibrant and a throwback to the way they don't really make platformers anymore. Good stuff.

I only got halfway through Jak II so it'll be fun to start playing parts of the series I've never seen. Really looking forward to it!

ScOULaris

lol, you could have looked at the post right above yours.

I though, "surely they didn't actually do that," but sure enough, it looks like they did:

jakdaxter2.jpg
jakdaxterhd.jpg

ಠ_ಠ Are you kidding me? Please tell me this is not the case.

And doesn't the right stick zoom in and out slightly when tilting it up and down?

Oh wow. If they really did this, I'm pissed. I was perfectly happy with this port until heard this... I'm almost afraid to play my original to see how different it is.

And yes the right stick zooms in and out, but it's pointless. Even when you zoom out as far as it goes, it's still not enough. Zoom in and it's unplayable.

ascii42

Oh wow. If they really did this, I'm pissed. I was perfectly happy with this port until heard this... I'm almost afraid to play my original to see how different it is.

And yes the right stick zooms in and out, but it's pointless. Even when you zoom out as far as it goes, it's still not enough. Zoom in and it's unplayable.
The PS2 version had widescreen support, and I believe it was done the same way there.

ScOULaris

My copy arrived yesterday, and I started out with some Jak 1. A couple of notes:

• Yes, it looks like they zoomed in and cropped off the original 4:3 picture at the top and bottom to accommodate the widescreen aspect ratio. We are losing vertical space and not gaining any horizontal space from the original. This is pretty annoying once you notice it.
  • The copper sheen is, in fact, missing from the temple in the Jungle area. It's no longer reflective at all.
  • Oh, god... the fishing challenge on the lower river of the Jungle. It's just as aggravating as I remember it being all those years ago. Fuck those poisonous eels.

Besides the missing effects and aspect ratio issues, I'm still pretty pleased with this collection. It's not a perfect port, but it still looks fantastic and plays just like it used to. Playing through Jak 1 is giving me flashbacks to getting 100% completion in my old bedroom as my little brother watched on. I remember being blown away by Jak 1, graphically, and this collection has reminded me of how impressive the draw distances were.

jimi_dini

Yes, it looks like they zoomed in and cropped off the original 4:3 picture at the top and bottom to accommodate the widescreen aspect ratio. We are losing vertical space and not gaining any horizontal space from the original. This is pretty annoying once you notice it.

What should they have done then? Force 4:3 with black borders? Stretch the image?

Also I think the PAL version supported 16:9. I would have to check, but maybe they already did it that way on PS2 PAL, when system setting was 16:9.

ScOULaris

What should they have done then? Force 4:3 with black borders? Stretch the image?

Also I think the PAL version supported 16:9. I would have to check, but maybe they already did it that way on PS2 PAL, when system setting was 16:9.

Um, kept the 4:3 viewing area, and then expanded it outward on the sides? That way we're actually gaining viewing area instead of losing it.

I platinumed Jak I yesterday. That game is still a lot of fun. Really colorful and vibrant and a throwback to the way they don't really make platformers anymore. Good stuff.

I only got halfway through Jak II so it'll be fun to start playing parts of the series I've never seen. Really looking forward to it!

The second half of Jak 2 is amazing, while the first half is merely brilliant. Can't wait for this to arrive. Out of interest, why is there a 2 week difference between the American release and the European one? Especially now that the console is region-free

jimi_dini

Um, kept the 4:3 viewing area, and then expanded it outward on the sides? That way we're actually gaining viewing area instead of losing it.

Just booted up my PS2 and Jak & Daxter PAL.

It even has a 16:9 option within the game options. Just starting the game (couldnt find the memorycard with my save) and will then check, what the original game did. I guess it does the same thing and changing it could/would have broken stuff like perhaps cutscenes.

EDIT: like i thought. They were already zooming in, when selecting 16:9. So if you want to blame someone, blame Naughty Dog.

ScOULaris

It's a port, so they could ohh I don't know programmed a new camera that gave real widescreen.
Well, I can understand why they wouldn't have done that. Porting all three of these games over sounded like enough of a challenge in itself, so implementing a change of that nature could have severely complicated matters.

ScOULaris

I kinda liked the zoomed in FOV.
It's nice some if the time, since we get to see Jak's detailed animations up close, but other times it feels like the camera is suffocating you. Also, as you can see in the comparison pics above, we lose out on some of the vistas that the vertical space used to show on the screen.

stuminus3

Guys the PS2 versions of the Jak games did the same thing at 16:9. Not excusing it, but it's not something they did for the PS3 games, if it's putting anyone off buying it.

rapid32.5

are there any extras on the disc/digital version: dev commentary, avatars, ect ? Really enjoyed how GOW II collection had dev meeting with the audience.

Jak 2 + 3 had huge amounts of extras (audio commentary, game cheats, model viewer, scrap books, level select). I guess all of those are still intact.
thanks for quick response, gonna buy these games for sure now.

jimi_dini

are there any extras on the disc version: dev commentary, avatars, ect ? Really enjoyed how GOW II collection had dev meeting with the audience.

Jak 2 + 3 had huge amounts of extras (audio commentary, game cheats, model viewer, scrap books, level select). I guess all of those are still intact.

JB1981

are the controls still inverted in jak 2? if so, can you change them? i tried to play the game a while back and literally couldn't get through it due to the controls.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's nice some if the time, since we get to see Jak's detailed animations up close, but other times it feels like the camera is suffocating you. Also, as you can see in the comparison pics above, we lose out on some of the vistas that the vertical space used to show on the screen.

The vistas aren't really impressive anymore. I guess I didn't notice.

Lots of PS2 games have widescreen support, but most if not all of them chop off the top and bottom of the picture instead of extending the sides.

TripOpt55

Just finished up Jak 3. Loved it. Going to jump back into Jak X on the PS2 tomorrow I think. I have been loving going back through this series!

KillerAJD

I've only played Jak III (and Daxter) before, so it's interesting going into the first game with fresh eyes. The game doesn't seem ugly at all to me, especially because everything moves with a certain charm, and even static stuff is stylized just right. I thought the camera felt a little close at first, and the above posts confirm why, but I'm still enjoying the game a ton. Can't wait to finish it and move on to Jak II! Also, is Jak's spin move sound effect ripped straight from Crash Bandicoot? Actually, a bunch of the sounds remind me of the Crash games, haha.

Yeah, as someone who's only played every Crash (that matters) and all the Uncharteds, I missed this series completely, and now that I'm playing Jak 1, I'm noticing all these very Crash Bandicoot-y things...like the spin sound and the music sounds really similar.

Top Bottom