• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Tom Nook

yFzLMFF.gif

Holy.....!

Jeez WWE.

WWE: Roman is the good guy!

I can't believe Triple H was apart of the 76th best superhero movie of all time.

Also Sephzilla, Mask of the Phantasm not being at the very least top twenty is a tragedy.

They didn't when I got my Suzuki-gun shirt in 2013, but it might have changed since then - if not, the only other option's using a buying service like White Rabbit Japan to buy and ship the merch to you.

Surrogate services are always a bit of a faff. I remember when I got my tales of xillia ps3 I got charged through the nose by wrj because it worked on a percentage, then again by royal mail when they stopped it at customs. :/ At least with a tshirt it'll probably be a flat fee.

Thanks for letting me know about piledriver, I'd have probably just been refreshing at PWT until suzuki retired otherwise.

Credo

Hi guys. I haven't posted in here in maybe a year, and I had kind of fallen off wrestling for several months until recently, but now I need some info/advice. I had only been keeping up with WWE through listening to the LAW podcast recaps while driving and nothing they talked about had me interested in watching again, so I figured I was done with wrestling until maybe Wrestlemania when I might check it out again.

However, then I heard the buzz about the Omega vs. Okada match and discovered I had the AXS TV channel, so I watched the match and was impressed as most or all of you. Since then, I've watched all the other NJPW shows on AXS, and I really enjoy what I'm watching. I'm thinking about trying to keep up with NJPW now instead of watching mostly old matches on AXS.

I have a few questions about NJPW. I thought I read somewhere that they don't have a weekly show like Raw or Smackdown, and if that's the case, I find it appealing because it's less time I have to invest. Do they just progress through their storylines in monthly events, and if not, how does that work? I see that you can get a New Japan World subscription for $10ish a month, and I imagine that's the only way to watch all their events here in the U.S. Is NJPW World easy to set up and use? Are the events shown live as they happen or is there a small delay? Do the events get any English subtitles later on after they happen, or is there pretty much no way to know what's being said unless you understand Japanese?

I'd appreciate anyone who can answer some or all of these questions because I'm interested in getting into wrestling again, and if I do, it's going to be through NJPW and not WWE.

Didn't Big John Studd die from taking too much HGH? How is that even possible?

From the observer after his death:

"I remember him telling me he wanted to be like Andre, he wanted to be as big as he could get," said Graham. "He wanted to get as big as Andre. I think that led him into the Growth Hormone and he did grow. A wrestling magazine did a story showing before and after pictures of 10 or 15 wrestlers including John. The width between his eyes had widened by an inch at least because of the Growth Hormone. The Growth Hormone enlarged the bones in his forehead. At the time he thought the Growth Hormone was safer than steroids.

"When he first got sick, he was concerned that the Growth Hormone might not have caused the cancer but may have accelerated it. This was after (Lyle) Alzado's thing. He was concerned that the amount he had taken may have led to the cancer coming sooner than it would have."

Studd admitted to Graham one of his doctors said it was a possibility that the Growth Hormone could have not necessarily caused the Hodgkins Disease, but accelerated the onset of it.

Mahonay

Banned
I am curious if Vince finally sat down and watched some Talking Smack and realized Bryan was shooting on the company since the first episode.

More likely Bryan is just busy with personal stuff right now. How far along is Brie at this point?

Also reading the Smackdown recaps it sounded like another good show. Will have to find time to watch it today or tomorrow.

Raw64life

I have a few questions about NJPW. I thought I read somewhere that they don't have a weekly show like Raw or Smackdown, and if that's the case, I find it appealing because it's less time I have to invest. Do they just progress through their storylines in monthly events, and if not, how does that work? I see that you can get a New Japan World subscription for $10ish a month, and I imagine that's the only way to watch all their events here in the U.S. Is NJPW World easy to set up and use? Are the events shown live as they happen or is there a small delay? Do the events get any English subtitles later on after they happen, or is there pretty much no way to know what's being said unless you understand Japanese?

I'd appreciate anyone who can answer some or all of these questions because I'm interested in getting into wrestling again, and if I do, it's going to be through NJPW and not WWE.

- Yes, they don't have weekly shows.

- Storylines are mostly told in the ring, but the promos and angles they do run are generally very straightforward and easy to digest.

- Events are live as live can be.

- No English subtitles, but they are stepping up their English commentary in a big way this year

edit: god they really need to stop using that picture of Omega making that dumbass face

I thought I read somewhere that they don't have a weekly show like Raw or Smackdown
True

and if that's the case, I find it appealing because it's less time I have to invest. Do they just progress through their storylines in monthly events, and if not, how does that work?
Storylines generally progress in the big events in the ring, or the press conferences. If anything interesting happened at a press conference https://twitter.com/reasonjp will have probably translated it.

I see that you can get a New Japan World subscription for $10ish a month, and I imagine that's the only way to watch all their events here in the U.S. Is NJPW World easy to set up and use?

NJPW world is japanese only, though they do have a google translation tool on the site which takes most of the mystery out of it.

Signup instructions:
http://www.1005holds.com/2015/12/how-to-subscribe-to-njpw-world-english/
https://twitter.com/azucarRoc/status/809824041280290816

Can be a faff to find anything that's not super new, but our very own boots has an awesome spreadsheet with direct links to great matches:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsZCBTpKjHzdbCpKZ1No1KAdpmOd2OcgSMfC1-oa7pI/edit

Are the events shown live as they happen or is there a small delay?
Live

Do the events get any English subtitles later on after they happen, or is there pretty much no way to know what's being said unless you understand Japanese?
If it's one of the big events it will have english commentary. Up until now they've had a commentator who understood japanese and would tell you if they said anything of import, but I don't think the new one (Cyrus the Virus) knows Japanese, so maybe not in future.

klonere

Banned

"I remember him telling me he wanted to be like Andre, he wanted to be as big as he could get," said Graham. "He wanted to get as big as Andre. I think that led him into the Growth Hormone and he did grow. A wrestling magazine did a story showing before and after pictures of 10 or 15 wrestlers including John. The width between his eyes had widened by an inch at least because of the Growth Hormone. The Growth Hormone enlarged the bones in his forehead. At the time he thought the Growth Hormone was safer than steroids.

"When he first got sick, he was concerned that the Growth Hormone might not have caused the cancer but may have accelerated it. This was after (Lyle) Alzado's thing. He was concerned that the amount he had taken may have led to the cancer coming sooner than it would have."

Studd admitted to Graham one of his doctors said it was a possibility that the Growth Hormone could have not necessarily caused the Hodgkins Disease, but accelerated the onset of it.

Ugh jesus I knew it was something of that kind but reading the full story makes me kinda queasy. Not a good way to go.

I am curious if Vince finally sat down and watched some Talking Smack and realized Bryan was shooting on the company since the first episode.

More likely Bryan is just busy with personal stuff right now. How far along is Brie at this point?
According to her Instagram, she's twenty five weeks along. Therefore through some quick calculations that are definitely wrong, the baby is coming out during the main event of Wrestlemania.

Anybody have before and after pics?

Ending the show with a yes chant, sending the fans home happy for once
Lol.

WWE's future women's division is gonna just be dominated by second gen superstars. Get HHH's daughter, Batista's daughter, Randy's daughter and then a middle-aged Charlotte in twenty years for the reincarnation of Evolution.

I wonder if the Nikki and Natalya storyline is Vince's anger that Cena is never gonna have a kid so he can't make a star out of the child of John Cena and he's just gonna keep bringing it up until Cena gives in.

Also reading the Smackdown recaps it sounded like another good show. Will have to find time to watch it today or tomorrow.

Bryan wasn't on smackdown at all (and last week I think he was only on a backstage segment that could have been pretaped), so hopefully he just had 2 weeks off.

Top Bottom