• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Oersted

TxGJV3O.gif

Whoever that is, he better mentions this moment in his LinkedIn profile

I have no interest in UK rasslin, but this shit is gonna be hilarious to watch from afar this year. Hoping for political slapfights about who goes over between New Japan and Titan guys or whatever at some point.

This year feels like the first time in a while where the rumble itself doesn't have an obvious winner and has a fair amount of star power in there, cautiously optimistic until someone spills the beans on Vinny Mac's mania plannage before the event takes place thus making the result obvious.

somedevil

Just bring Itami up. Poor guy's been injured twice down in NXT and he isn't winning the title there anytime soon. Bring him up at the rumble.

Maybe he can make the save and have a stare down with Neville at the rumble?

Plus its to early to see the winner of the rumble from the odds. It won't be known till the same day as the rumble.

Literally anything. The guy has nothing to do down in NXT. At least at Smackdown he could get a decent midcard feud.

It's such a shame that the dude was rumored to be getting the belt before his first injury happened and now he'll never even have a match for it.

It was sadder because he was in the crowd watching Balor win the title instead.

Itami honestly came to the company at the worst possible time

Right before the big boom of them poaching indies, yet picked up just enough steam to injure himself as they came in

So now he's at best the 12th favorite option no matter where he ends up. He'd even be overshadowed on 205 Live because you know he'd come in like a week before or after Tozawa finally debuted and one-upped him

Heroman

Banned
Literally anything. The guy has nothing to do down in NXT. At least at Smackdown he could get a decent midcard feud.

It's such a shame that the dude was rumored to be getting the belt before his first injury happened and now he'll never even have a match for it.

He not going to do anything on the main roster, he a Japanese dude who doesn't speak English very well and has done nothing in NXT. Not mention he well pass his prime.

If you have the Observer, highly recommend reading this week's newsletter

Dave does an incredible takedown of LU and how dumb they've been

Sample:
One of the big issues is that the TV people here think in terms of huge money television sponsorships, toy deals and the big goal of the Lucha Underground movie series, and these are multi-million dollar projects. The problem is they are not getting any of those deals based on the ratings they are drawing. The idea of house shows with a small profit margin and keeping the wrestlers busy and making money year-around isn’t part of the concept from the TV people, who are the key ones involved.

The problem is we’re a few years into the run and not one of those big deals has come through past I’ve seen some of the characters in a Slim Jim’s commercial. Still, the bottom line is that while they could have a cool cult thing with non-Hispanics if they didn’t go so far out to turn people off, the real money was with this product on a Spanish language station, and when this thing goes away with nothing to show for it other than tens of millions in losses and a missed opportunity, the real keys were the inability to get the product on a strong Spanish language station in the U.S. and onto television in Mexico. With names like Robert Rodriguez and Mark Burnett involved, I’m not sure why that never happened.

There is now talk once again of a Netflix deal, and Melissa Santos did an interview where she mentioned that, but that’s been talked about for a long time.

There’s also been very little promotion of the show itself as far as major media has gone. That was the province early on of Court Bauer, and when he left the promotion, nobody ever picked up the ball and they never got a media professional in that realm to take his spot.

Them thinking that licensing Lucha Underground characters for multi-million dollar movies is what's going to be a great income source was one of the funniest things I've heard in wrestling in a while

Ithil

Sample:

Them thinking that licensing Lucha Underground characters for multi-million dollar movies is what's going to be a great income source was one of the funniest things I've heard in wrestling in a while

I mean, WWE only does really cheap bottom barrel direct-to-DVD films with their wrestlers, that's the ceiling unless some generous billionaire comes along to fund you.

Sample:

1. LU turned me off when it never seemed to evolve. It was literally the same tella novella thing over and over with the same spots and same matches. I could only take so much of Vampiro marking out before it got stale

2. Does dave ever go over more than US/JP stuff?

Barrage

L.U. was incredible its first season. It managed to elevate no one, AND kill both of its belts in the next two seasons.

Now that the talent is unhappy, its gonna get ugly.

Its a shame what happened to Lucha Underground.

A year or so ago my local TV station even ran a 7 minute segment during the sport segment of the national news program. I havent seen ANY pro wrestling on the news here in well over a decade so it was exciting and cool to see at the time.

somedevil

The one positive for some of the wrestlers that might happen is if ITV and WWE get into bidding wars over talent, said talent should wind up with very good deals.

Also, got include Flosports well as New Japan/ROH in the mix. Revolution pro wrestling uses ROH, New Japan and Flosports talent.

WWE sent out a survey to the UK crowd on what shows they watch:

UK scene is getting cut up like a nice little Pukka Pie.

It's totally fucked.

There's apparently no room for the remotest bit of pessimism at the moment either, as the Paul worshipers are out in full force - it's such a great thing! Exposure! More content for all! WWE are a nice, cuddly, benevolent company who want to see the scene grow! Just $9.99!

Sure, this whole thing's pretty crazy and exciting, but I'll remain cynical until proven otherwise, if it's all the same.

Top Bottom