• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Alvarez thinking that Jericho will be the heel vs Owens is insane. When Meltzer understands the angle properly and you don't... smh

Yeah that makes no sense.... why would the natural heel turn face on the guy who can be a face tomorrow and everyone would buy it.

Welcome to WWE booking

Where the good guys are total assholes and the bad guys seem totally justified in their anger.

I mean, if you're a whiny edgelord like Punk was or Styles character is, yes, he seems like the face.

But, to you average person, heels still seem like heels. It's just that there are fewer and fewer people watching as the crowds continue to cheer for evil people just because they used to wrestle for smaller companies.

Also, good guys have always been assholes. Because that's what people like - an ass kicker who doesn't take shit. Bruno, Hogan, Austin, etc. Hell, the last time Roman was really over was when he whooped the McMahon's ass.

When your definitive example of what a babyface should be is a giant orange roided up coke addicted crazed nationalist egotistical politicking hot-dogging moment-stealing girlfriend stealing racist shithead, then all your faces are gonna end up asshats.

I mean, if you're a whiny edgelord like Punk was or Styles character is, yes, he seems like the face.

But, to you average person, heels still seem like heels. It's just that there are fewer and fewer people watching as the crowds continue to cheer for evil people just because they used to wrestle for smaller companies.

Also, good guys have always been assholes. Because that's what people like - an ass kicker who doesn't take shit. Bruno, Hogan, Austin, etc. Hell, the last time Roman was really over was when he whooped the McMahon's ass.

Or you know because they are good at this thing called wrestling

Or you know because they are good at this thing called wrestling

So, do you base your other support of fictional characters based on how good they are at their job within the show or their moral character?

Sure but that's why AJ Styles is over as fuck.

So, if AJ Styles Styles Clash'd 8 women in the ring, called Obama the n-word, slapped his wife, but then went out and had a five star match, would you still cheer him?

So, if AJ Styles Styles Clash'd 8 women in the ring, called Obama the n-word, slapped his wife, but then went out and had a five star match, would you still cheer him?

What....

No course not... but he ya know doesn't do that. He just says he's the best wrestler and deserves respect.

Tall4Life

What....

No course not... but he ya know doesn't do that. He just says he's the best wrestler and deserves respect.
Booing a heel isnt a sign of disrespect to them, its proving to themselves that they're DOING THEIR JOB by getting you to boo. I'm almost entirely sure AJ would love to get booed more because... ya know... he's a heel.

Booing a heel isnt a sign of disrespect to them, its proving to themselves that they're DOING THEIR JOB by getting you to boo. I'm almost entirely sure AJ would love to get booed more because... ya know... he's a heel.

Was speaking to AJ's character in general not in relation to the fans

On a side note I love this community and you guys a lot. It's nice to talk wrestling with folks again. I had to leave the last wrestling community I was part of because they were toxic and transphobic to me at an obscene level. Like they'd just insult me in threads I had nothing to do with. I'd log back in and search my name every once and a while and even 5-6 years after I left they still would be vruel transphobic jokes about me.

Wrestling is a huge part of my life and you guys make it so much more for me. <3

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The only thing I could truly hate someone for is being a Roman Mark.

The only thing I could truly hate someone for is being a Roman Mark.

You mean one of the Top 10 Wrestlers in the world, one of the competitors in the greatest main event in Wrestlemania history, and a man with a healthy claim on having one of the five best 1st five years in the history of the business in-ring, trailing only folks like Akiyama and Angle?

On a side note I love this community and you guys a lot. It's nice to talk wrestling with folks again. I had to leave the last wrestling community I was part of because they were toxic and transphobic to me at an obscene level. Like they'd just insult me in threads I had nothing to do with. I'd log back in and search my name every once and a while and even 5-6 years after I left they still would be vruel transphobic jokes about me.

Wrestling is a huge part of my life and you guys make it so much more for me. <3

Glad we can be there for ya.

BA4UsPK.gif

8ViuGbj.gif

You mean one of the Top 10 Wrestlers in the world, one of the competitors in the greatest main event in Wrestlemania history, and a man with a healthy claim on having one of the five best 1st five years in the history of the business in-ring, trailing only folks like Akiyama and Angle?

Top 10 wrestlers in the world... one of the greatest main events in Mania history?

Ooook.

Top 10 wrestlers in the world... one of the greatest main events in Mania history?

Ooook.

I mean, the back half of his 2016 wasn't great because he was saddled with having to work with an old guy like Jericho who has been mediocre to terrible in the ring since he came back, but yes. Top 10 in the world, easy.

And yeah, WM 31 all day, slightly ahead of the WM XX three-way. And before you ask about WM XXX, that's a great moment, but just a very good match. I could probably list 20 better Daniel Bryan matches in the WWE.

Kurita

G4DHSXb.gif

I mean, the back half of his 2016 wasn't great because he was saddled with having to work with an old guy like Jericho who has been mediocre to terrible in the ring since he came back, but yes. Top 10 in the world, easy.

And yeah, WM 31 all day, slightly ahead of the WM XX three-way. And before you ask about WM XXX, that's a great moment, but just a very good match. I could probably list 20 better Daniel Bryan matches in the WWE.

I mean to each their own but he's barely top 10 in the WWE and could arguably be excluded from the top ten depending on how we rank it all.

I got a chuckle at you thinking current Jericho is awful in the ring though.

He's barely top 10 in the WWE

Who's better than him? Again, not your perfect vision of that guy, but actual in-ring work this year. I mean, it's nice Nakamura decided to show up and wrestle hard four times this year, but is that enough to push him past Reigns? I mean, same thing with Joe. I'm really not impressed by bog standard TV matches that Nakamura or Joe are in for three months before they turn it on.

I'm also not impressed by indy guys doing a bunch of spots, so frankly, neither Balor pre-injury or Owens would be in my top 10. AJ would be my #1, but he's an actual great worker now, not just a great indy worker. Cena would be in my top 10 if he wrestled more, but right now, he's in a weird spot.

And yeah, Jericho is awful in the ring. He still looks like the Chris Jericho of 10 years ago and is a great comedy character (that shouldn't be in main events), but actual in-ring work. He almost ruined AJ Styles in the WWE, but Styles is so great that even Jericho couldn't screw thing up for him.

Adree

*goes to shake your hand but pulls you in for a ddt instead*

They should push Cena and AJ for Mania. Have AJ and Cena have a match in a 6 sided ring, call it an independent styled ring. They at this point need to have an Indy styled match, maybe some type of death match.

Who's better than him? Again, not your perfect vision of that guy, but actual in-ring work this year. I mean, it's nice Nakamura decided to show up and wrestle hard four times this year, but is that enough to push him past Reigns? I mean, same thing with Joe. I'm really not impressed by bog standard TV matches that Nakamura or Joe are in for three months before they turn it on.

I'm also not impressed by indy guys doing a bunch of spots, so frankly, neither Balor pre-injury or Owens would be in my top 10. AJ would be my #1, but he's an actual great worker now, not just a great indy worker. Cena would be in my top 10 if he wrestled more, but right now, he's in a weird spot.

And yeah, Jericho is awful in the ring. He still looks like the Chris Jericho of 10 years ago and is a great comedy character (that shouldn't be in main events), but actual in-ring work. He almost ruined AJ Styles in the WWE, but Styles is so great that even Jericho couldn't screw thing up for him.

Jericho didn't almost ruin AJ. Booking hom as the Redneck rookie or whatever that dumb shit was did.

His feud with Jericho put on matches in and around 4 stars... hardly awful lol.

Also my top 10 wrestlers today don't hinge on how they were booked in 2016.

I'll whip up a list tomorrow

Striker

Those Cena/his opponents feud promos all feel the same. Edge, Carlito and Batista were doing those 8+ yrs ago and he'd make the same stoic face.

Those Cena/his opponents feud promos all feel the same. Edge, Carlito and Batista were doing those 8+ yrs ago and he'd make the same stoic face.

...and yet, right now, SquaredCircle is on fire people saying they're so pissed at Cena and they're going to be angry if Cena wins on Sunday.

The promo worked on the people it was aimed at.

FyreWulff

let us remind you at WRESTLEMANIA(tm) that WRESTLER is now having their WRESTLEMANIA MOMENT(TM) constantly every WRESTLEMANIA MINUTE(tm)

Adree

Loving not having my inventory fill up with junk items I have to sell off every time I beat up some punks in Yakuza 0. Switching to just giving you money is great.

I'll give you top 10 in WWE, but in the world? Not even close

And some will persist in thinking NJPW undervalues Naito, when he's got one of the most important jobs in the company in selling out these secondary shows on the basis of his personality, ability and popularity alone. There's no one better suited to that role at present, only maybe Shibata and I don't think he has quite the same appeal as Naito or Nakamura before him did.

Hah, way to move the goal posts - you can't really compare Roman to the super rookies of wrestling, mainly because his first year or so was trash. Riddle > Roman.

I was linking the wrasslin thead elsewhere so I just went to the first page when I was making sure the link worked, and I see "info on other wrasslin' promotions, such as lu or Chikara or EVOlve can easily be discovered via google searches." What a low effort OT from "Biggest-Geek-Ever", really living up to the username

Dude deserves it. LIJ are awesome.

And some will persist in thinking NJPW undervalues Naito, when he's got one of the most important jobs in the company in selling out these secondary shows on the basis of his personality, ability and popularity alone. There's no one better suited to that role at present, only maybe Shibata and I don't think he has quite the same appeal as Naito or Nakamura before him did.

I though that until I saw the entire tokyodome set was built for his entrance. That was so cool.

I was linking the wrasslin thead elsewhere so I just went to the first page when I was making sure the link worked, and I see "info on other wrasslin' promotions, such as lu or Chikara or EVOlve can easily be discovered via google searches." What a low effort OT from "Biggest-Geek-Ever", really living up to the username

Yup, and a few months back FlammableD even made a huge list of useful links and info for the OT that could've easily been copy & pasted, but, y'know. WrassleGAF.

Top Bottom