• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

You think Cena's fans want Bryan on top over Cena, if it came down to such a choice? Lol. Ok.

You aren't "The Fans". Neither am I. Neither are the fans cheering Cena.

Did you saw Summerslam 2013 ? Fans were quite happy with Bryan going over Cena.

Remember the RAW before TLC 2013? Fans chanted Bryan over Cena or Orton.

Remember how every RAW, no matter the City, were chanting more for Bryan than anyone else? Remember how that also happened last night?

Sorry, but even if we can't quantify, we can be sure that the crowd already changed. Even Ambrose sold more merch than Cena during a certain month last year.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm looking forward to seeing what the WWE Stock does today, that's gonna be more exciting than anything that'll happen on Raw tonight.

UberTag

I'm looking forward to seeing what the WWE Stock does today, that's gonna be more exciting than anything that'll happen on Raw tonight.
It's currently trading down 12 cents on the day.
Has yet to slip down into the 9.99 dregs they briefly hit last week.

So I got to thinking. I happen to remember another guy that came in, was pushed to the moon, and got exactly the reverse reaction to Roman Reigns.

His name was Kazuchika Okada.

Now, I know what you're saying. Okada is talented, Reigns is not. Well, the thing is...Reigns...isn't bad. He's not good by any means, but he can go out there and have a decent match with the right opponent.

I'm just wondering what the difference is. Okada comes back and within a month wins the title, and nobody bats an eye. Reigns' rocket strapped to his ass at least has a slower burn, and he gets treated like shit because he's a Vince guy.

Are we all hypocrites, or is there a true difference?

Cagey

Banned
Did you saw Summerslam 2013 ? Fans were quite happy with Bryan going over Cena.

Remember the RAW before TLC 2013? Fans chanted Bryan over Cena or Orton.

Remember how every RAW, no matter the City, were chanting more for Bryan than anyone else? Remember how that also happened last night?

Sorry, but even if we can't quantify, we can be sure that the crowd already changed. Even Ambrose sold more merch than Cena during a certain month last year.

I don't remember individual TV shows, but Summerslam takes place in front of a crowd much different than the standard TV show (let alone house show) crowd.

Bryan's biggest strength is the older crowd likes him (edit: loves him). The younger crowd likes the good guys and dislikes the bad guys. Bryan is good, crowd likes him. The older crowd takes it upon themselves to cheer/boo whom they like for outside-of-storyline reasons. Sometimes, that's fun and helpful and adds to the product. At other times it reaches a tipping point, such as last night for the 10 minutes post-Bryan elimination when there's still a Royal Rumble match going on and they're still crying and not paying attention, where that shit gets tiresome real fast.

Unrelated but don't get me started on the "OLE!" (read: we bored breh, get them outta here) chant during a surprisingly good women's tag team match from a purportedly smart crowd.

Marvel

could never
We need a mass NXT call up, the lack of talent on our main roster is hilariously bad as highlighted once again during the rumble match.

Browny

Banned

Genuinely, I'm not sure how much crossover there is between fans of the 'E and people who hold shares in the 'E. The stock fluctuates more during / after the conference calls. In fact, if investors believe there's good crossover appeal for Reigns and Rock, then it may do better...

I hope it tanks.

Fox318

We need a mass NXT call up, the lack of talent on our main roster is hilariously bad as highlighted once again during the rumble match.
They would get fucked with creative.

WWE has a talented roster they were just run by idiots like Johnny ace and Dunn.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I got to thinking. I happen to remember another guy that came in, was pushed to the moon, and got exactly the reverse reaction to Roman Reigns.

Now, I know what you're saying. Okada is talented, Reigns is not. Well, the thing is...Reigns...isn't bad. He's not good by any means, but he can go out there and have a decent match with the right opponent.

I'm just wondering what the difference is. Okada comes back and within a month wins the title, and nobody bats an eye. Reigns' rocket strapped to his ass at least has a slower burn, and he gets treated like shit because he's a Vince guy.

Terrible comparison. One is a good wrestler, the other knows three moves and that's it.

You should have compared with Goldberg, much more apt. Green as fuck, but one got over as a main eventer and the other is shit. The difference lies in HOW THEY WERE BOOKED.

Reigns sucks because he's terrible in the ring and exposed as such. Reigns also sucks because he's told to cut shitty promo's about fairy tales and other such dreck.

Browny

Banned
Terrible comparison. One is a good wrestler, the other knows three moves and that's it.

You should have compared with Goldberg, much more apt. Green as fuck, but one got over as a main eventer and the other is shit. The difference lies in HOW THEY WERE BOOKED.

Reigns sucks because he's terrible in the ring and exposed as such. Reigns also sucks because he's told to cut shitty promo's about fairy tales and other such dreck.

I was half typing a reply, but you've summed it up perfectly. The booking sucks. But that's what happens when you have 26 writers and the head guy can't even do up his own shoes.

Fox318

gWkpjlz.jpg

Bizazedo

I really think the Internet is destroying how the WWE can book things. Yes, I know, the Internet isn't exactly new...but more people know more, now.....

Hard to really say what I'm getting at, but I guess the point is, this carny shit won't work with how tied to each other we all are, communication wise. They need to become professional in how they map out their shows / stories.

Experience is one of the biggest differences - Roman had five years wrestling under his belt when he split from The Shield, whereas Okada had nine years in the ring before returning as The Rainmaker. Also, there's undoubtedly huge differences between the training Okada received in Toryumon & the NJPW Dojo compared to the training Reigns received in FCW.

Plus, Okada's return only worked because he knocked it out of the park with the Tanahashi match, whereas Reigns hasn't been quite as convincing as a main event player. When Okada returned with a lukewarm match against YOSHI-HASHI and challenged Tanahashi, he didn't get great reactions and New Japan quickly paired him with Gedo to cover for his deficiencies, whereas Reigns has really been thrown into the deep end with the material he's been given.

kiguel182

I really think the Internet is destroying how the WWE can book things. Yes, I know, the Internet isn't exactly new...but more people know more, now.....

Hard to really say what I'm getting at, but I guess the point is, this carny shit won't work with how tied to each other we all are, communication wise. They need to become professional in how they map out their shows / stories.

Being professional should always be their main priority.

I said it tons of times before, there isn't such a thing as "internet fans". There are only fans and you just need to book guys well and then let fans decide who they like and push them.

Honestly, this isn't rocket science and blaming the internet isn't going to make things better. It's even more hilarious when they are selling an internet based product and building shows around it.

Aiii

So not worth it
ollowing reports that Justin Gabriel quit WWE over the weekend, the sports-entertainment organization announced Sunday that he has been released from his contract. Gabriel has plans to continue his wrestling career on the independent circuit as "The Darewolf" PJ Black. Pro Wrestling Syndicate announced Sunday the acquisition of the South African native, who is scheduled for a show on Saturday.

The organization announced on Facebook, "BREAKING NEWS - PWS SIGNS FKA JUSTIN GABRIEL - Taking the injured AR Fox's spot in The Suicidal Six Way Title Match THIS Saturday Jan 31st at Frozen Fallout in Rahway NJ will be "The Darewolf" PJ Black (fka WWE Superstar Justin Gabriel). Tickets available at ProWrestlingSyndicate.com."

THE DAREWOLF PJ BLACK

I don't remember individual TV shows, but Summerslam takes place in front of a crowd much different than the standard TV show (let alone house show) crowd.

Bryan's biggest strength is the older crowd likes him (edit: loves him). The younger crowd likes the good guys and dislikes the bad guys. Bryan is good, crowd likes him. The older crowd takes it upon themselves to cheer/boo whom they like for outside-of-storyline reasons. Sometimes, that's fun and helpful and adds to the product. At other times it reaches a tipping point, such as last night for the 10 minutes post-Bryan elimination when there's still a Royal Rumble match going on and they're still crying and not paying attention, where that shit gets tiresome real fast.

Unrelated but don't get me started on the "OLE!" (read: we bored breh, get them outta here) chant during a surprisingly good women's tag team match from a purportedly smart crowd.

Well I've watched every RAW the past 2 years, and Bryan is THE fan favorite each time he was in.

If the crowd were not paying attention to the Rumble after Bryan got eliminated like that is because he was the main atraction of the Rumble. It was a huge announcement when he said that he was back and ready for the RR, a fun reason to watch SmackDown to see where that story was headed, and then he got eliminated like a jobber. It's obvious the crowd and most of the fans were going to be pissed, it wasn't even logical.

About the women's tag, I think the crowd and most people don't care because we know is just advertising for Total Divas.

Marvel

could never

It's not our fault /snitzky

Sephzilla

I'm pretty sure the weather is going to make it harder for Roman tonight, because the only people who will still come are the hardcore fans.

Also - how is my Breeze avatar?

I don't even care that Roman won. Everyone knew he was going over. I just wish they didn't fuck up the entire match in a failed attempt to make him look strong. Aside from Bray and a few surprise returns from old-timers, it was one of the most inconsequential Rumbles ever. Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Dean Ambrose, and Mizdow didn't do anything important. It's as though WWE went out of their way to make sure that the top faces in the match didn't have any memorable moments. Big Show and Kane being in the final four was sad. It made sense 15 years ago, but nobody thought for one second that either of them could win this year. They built up these giants in the match and sacrificed many wrestlers to them just to give us the "Roman and the beanstalk" giant-killing moment that nobody wanted to see.

Kaladin

Reigns doesn't feel like the guy. Even standing next to The Rock, he doesn't feel like the guy.

I've said since he split from The Shield, they need to repackage him. He needs his own music and gear, let go of the past.

I was half typing a reply, but you've summed it up perfectly. The booking sucks. But that's what happens when you have 26 writers and the head guy can't even do up his own shoes.

Fair enough. You're right though, Goldberg is the far better comparison.

God, if only NJPW was able to get more exposure in America. I love RoH but it just ain't cutting it.

Scottify

Let's say that the weather does indeed impact attendance. Will they actually postpone the show or would they go ahead and televise it with maybe 2,000 people or so?

Will they actually listen to the crowd from last night, RE: Reigns, or will they just write it off as an anomaly using the excuse that it was a 'smark crowd'. It'll be interesting how it plays out.

UberTag

Other wrestling companies have adjusted admirably.
The WWE has been archaic and stubborn by comparison.

Instead of welcoming the flow of communication that social media has brought them and their talent they've done everything in their power to stunt it or fabricate it (buying up Twitter trends to force angles instead of letting them trend organically). It's the exact same shit they do with how they book their talent.

Bizazedo

It's not our fault /snitzky

It's not what I meant, but I can't write for shit today.

What I mean is that it's easier for us all to communicate / read / learn more. I'm not saying "Oh, Marvel doesn't like Roman, he's big on neogaf, I AGREE".

I mean it's easier than ever to get the spoilers, the backstage bs, true or not, and see every little botch and every little quirk. Added to that and you now even have it so that more normal people aware of NJPW. Watched it with a group of buds last week, in fact.

I'm just saying how fast and easily info moves makes it so that the carny shit is less and less effective. Like that end interview with Rock and Reigns? Horrendous, but it's going to spread like wildfire.

Man, a heel really should not be doing a phoenix splash.
I love rollins not giving a F. That's what makes his Heel nature cool. He thinks he is better than everyone else and he knows he is impressive in the ring. If it makes people like him I don't think that's bad either. It's like orton, people always want to cheer him whether he is a heel or face because they love the RKO and the slithering around and whatnot. But he can still get heel heat and switch to face any time he wants. That's the ideal place imo.

Heroman

Banned
I don't even care that Roman won. Everyone knew he was going over. I just wish they didn't fuck up the entire match in a failed attempt to make him look strong. Aside from Bray and a few surprise returns from old-timers, it was one of the most inconsequential Rumbles ever. Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Dean Ambrose, and Mizdow didn't do anything important. It's as though WWE went out of their way to make sure that the top faces in the match didn't have any memorable moments. Big Show and Kane being in the final four was sad. It made sense 15 years ago, but nobody thought for one second that either of them could win this year. They built up these giants in the match and sacrificed many wrestlers to them just to give us the "Roman and the beanstalk" giant-killing moment that nobody wanted to see.

The only reason I think Show and Kane were in the final four was so the crowd had no one to cheer, if was lets say it was bray , he would have gotten cheer while roman would be boooooooooooooooed

Sephzilla

Let's say that the weather does indeed impact attendance. Will they actually postpone the show or would they go ahead and televise it with maybe 2,000 people or so?

Will they actually listen to the crowd from last night, RE: Reigns, or will they just write it off as an anomaly using the excuse that it was a 'smark crowd'. It'll be interesting how it plays out.

I think we'll get a repeat of Batista from last year. The first week or so they're going to pretend that the booing during the Rumble didn't happen and hope people forget. I just really hope the booing continues tonight.

just cancelled my sub

Don't really care about Bryan losing but not happy with the current product enough to pay for it. I'll watch the first hour of Raw, fall asleep and FFWD through the next 2 hours in 4 minutes.

Philly crowd wasn't miserable, they were red hot all night. That smark ass crowd didn't want Reigns and that was all. They were chanting Feed Me More for friggin Ryback of all people. There were probably 5 baby faces other than Reigns that could have won that match and the crowd would have exploded.

Xater

I think Alvarez is right. You just know Vince was rubbing one out to the whole thing. His big beautiful muscular guy beating those damn ugly giants. He loved it.

Top Bottom