• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

B8QijQyCcAU1KYp.jpg

Cagey

Banned
Bottom line is with social media and people thinking they're a part of the show, they're going to try to change it instead of listen to the narrative. Hell, believe me, I'd love if the Rumble went off according to how I wanted to, but it doesn't make the show worse if my favorite doesn't win. If I actively HATE others (and I see very little reason to hate Roman Reigns, he was put in a bad spot, that's all) then why would I tune out? I still enjoy what I watch, booking decisions be damned.

Now I know why Vince holds the fans in such contempt nowadays, though - they always come back. Keep drumming up that discussion, keep beating that dead horse. You'll be back. Even if you're canceling your subscription, you're still talking about it and reaching others. Keep on doing it.

Quoted for next page + truth.

WWE occupies this weird space between scripted reality television show and interactive spots programming, where the audience wants the excitement and unpredictability and realism of the latter, but knows that the elements of the former afford them the ability to try and change the written conclusions.

I would have rather a few things happened at the Rumble than what happened, but that's just me watching the show and bullshitting with buddies watching and us throwing "hey you know what would be awesome" ideas out there for fun. It's hard to get disappointed when they don't come true becaus they're just fantasy shit anyway:

1) Have the Rock be a participant and Rusev toss him out. Feud. Rock wins at Mania, Rusev looks amazing because he goes from mid-card dude in 2015 to squaring off with the Great One.

2) During that Kane/Show v. Reigns/Ambrose staredown... Reigns lets Ambrose make first move, then Superman punches Ambrose from behind, tosses his ass out of the ring, Kane/Show shake his hand and then both leave the ring on their own. Reigns wins, new Authority golden boy. Rollins booted because he can't get shit done.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't rooting for Bryan to win.

Cesaro came out and he could have been the captain we deserve.

You should be happy with him being on Team CAT. That's a pretty dope spot.

imBask

Banned
Now I know why Vince holds the fans in such contempt nowadays, though - they always come back. Keep drumming up that discussion, keep beating that dead horse. You'll be back. Even if you're canceling your subscription, you're still talking about it and reaching others. Keep on doing it.

but that's not exactly true, it's true for us "die hards"... they've been losing mainstream and "casual" fans everyday for a while now and there's nothing really indicating that it's about to go the other way

charsace

The WWE needs to live up to their "give fans what they want," saying and push Bryan like they Did Austin, The Rock, Hogan, Cena. If Bryan is just a fad like they think then let him draw fans and run his course. If he isn't then keep on riding him. It really isn't has hard as they make it.

WWE would not have had the Roman Rumble if they would back Bryan. Every time some bullshit like this happen they may not lose half the fans and go bankrupt, but they do lose a portion of their fans and this why they are in the state they are in where they have a hard time getting a million people to sign up for the Network.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The WWE needs to live up to their "give fans what they want," saying and push Bryan like they Did Austin, The Rock, Hogan, Cena. If Bryan is just a fad like they think then let him draw fans and run his course. If he isn't then keep on riding him. It really isn't has hard as they make it.

Summerslam was a swing and a miss, unfortunately.

Amory

I wonder if the WWE and The Rock are going to ink out some additional appearances in an effort to get him over. His promos will almost no doubt suffer even more after what happened last night, especially if future crowds give him a similar response, which is the biggest question mark right now.

All that will do is bring down the Rock.

They actually did the opposite of what they should've done by having Rocky come out and save Reigns. They should've made the Rock a participant, had Show and Kane team up on him, then have Reigns come out and save the Rock. It still would've been transparent, but at least he wouldn't have looked pathetic

Toki767

Bottom line is with social media and people thinking they're a part of the show, they're going to try to change it instead of listen to the narrative. Hell, believe me, I'd love if the Rumble went off according to how I wanted to, but it doesn't make the show worse if my favorite doesn't win. If I actively HATE others (and I see very little reason to hate Roman Reigns, he was put in a bad spot, that's all) then why would I tune out? I still enjoy what I watch, booking decisions be damned.

Even that is WWE's own fault though. They go on TV every week having the face of the WWE say how all they want to do is entertain the audience and keep trying to say how the fans voices matter.

XenoRaven

If a character you don't like played by a terrible actor keeps getting screen time over characters you do like played by better actors then that is absolutely a reason to tune out.

Ithil

It's got to be tough being Roman Reigns right about now. Imagine how awkward it is for him backstage. You can't sugar coat a single thing about what happened last night. His self confidence must be shattered.

I wonder if the WWE and The Rock are going to ink out some additional appearances in an effort to get him over. His promos will almost no doubt suffer even more after what happened last night, especially if future crowds give him a similar response, which is the biggest question mark right now.

And self-confidence was the biggest thing he lacked, even above mic or wrestling skills. He was always a guy playing at being a tough guy.I remember his early promos in NXT, or his first live promos in the Shield, where his voice would actually shake as he talked. He looked like a nervous high schooler doing a presentation in that post-Rumble promo with Rock.

It's got to be tough being Roman Reigns right about now. Imagine how awkward it is for him backstage. You can't sugar coat a single thing about what happened last night. His self confidence must be shattered.

Do you think that Jack and the Bean stock promo was Romans idea?

Vince buried him, poor Roman is only being told what to do. Vince has no clue what hes doing anymore, and no one stands up to him.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Enough time for them to redub crowd noise and re-air Royal Rumble.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Even that is WWE's own fault though. They go on TV every week having the face of the WWE say how all they want to do is entertain the audience and keep trying to say how the fans voices matter.

But that's part of the story!

If a character you don't like played by a terrible actor keeps getting screen time over characters you do like played by better actors then that is absolutely a reason to tune out.

I still buy Dolph Lundgren movies even if he's not the star. I don't agree with that comparison at all. I'll pick up a movie with someone I love in it even if the movie itself isn't so great, because I love that one dude.

And self-confidence was the biggest thing he lacked, even above mic or wrestling skills. He was always a guy playing at being a tough guy.I remember his early promos in NXT, or his first live promos in the Shield, where his voice would actually shake as he talked. He looked like a nervous high schooler doing a presentation in that post-Rumble promo with Rock.

Yeah, that was REALLY bad and will require an unbelievable amount of coaching to overcome. I don't think he can do that. It was really bad and looked just...horrible. Confidence is everything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There will be something called "Raw"

What that will entail, doesn't look like it will be usual.

I believe due to TV contracts it will need to be called Raw, regardless of the content.

jmdajr

No reason to hate Roman. No one should hate him. Not his fault. Just baffled by the execution of this whole thing. Most things I don't even care about, but this just made no sense to me by a lot.

My comparison is still to a Rock concert. You pay to see Metallica and barely half way through the set they decide they will only play stuff from load and reload.

Just let me see the guy perform even if he gets fucked in the end. Even the elimination had no meaning.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No reason to hate Roman. No one should hate him. Not his fault. Just baffled by the execution of this whole thing. Most things I don't even care about, but this just made no sense to me by a lot.

And don't get me wrong - there's PLENTY of room and time to talk about things that don't make sense. But when it's just smark butthurt and being upset their guy didn't win? Not a big deal.

I really want to hop back to some message boards from the Rumble McMahon won. I bet people were upset as fuck despite Vince being an incredible performer willing to do anything.

‏@WWE 3 minutes ago
Don't miss the fallout from the #RoyalRumble on #Raw TONIGHT at 8/7c on @USA_Network: http://wwe.me/HWX7y

‏@WWENetwork 4 minutes ago
#TheUndertaker made his @WWE debut at @XLCenter in Hartford, the host arena of #Raw tonight, at #SurvivorSeries '90!

Looks like we're getting RAW anyways

Yeah, gonna have to agree with you here. I was thinking the same thing when he was standing next to The Rock.

Toki767

Raw tonight should be like a TNA show. Empty arena show where only the ring is lit and the crowd is pitch black. That way they can add in crowd cheers for Reigns.

XenoRaven

I still buy Dolph Lundgren movies even if he's not the star. I don't agree with that comparison at all. I'll pick up a movie with someone I love in it even if the movie itself isn't so great, because I love that one dude.
You might, but not everyone feels the same way. Especially if they've seen it happen again and again for the last 10 years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nattie ‏@NatbyNature 55 seconds ago

Can't stop Mother Nature - she's a wild one. She always gets the 1-2-3.

Sounds like she slipped on a match of ice. Sorry Natalya, your grandma shoes won't give you traction.

And don't get me wrong - there's PLENTY of room and time to talk about things that don't make sense. But when it's just smark butthurt and being upset their guy didn't win? Not a big deal.

I really want to hop back to some message boards from the Rumble McMahon won. I bet people were upset as fuck despite Vince being an incredible performer willing to do anything.

I honestly believe this happens regardless of whether Bryan is in the Rumble or not. I don't think this is a "We want Bryan" thing as much as it is a "We don't want Reigns" thing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You might, but not everyone feels the same way. Especially if they've seen it happen again and again for the last 10 years.

I just wanna see my dudes, however it plays out. I was happy last night to see the Ascension, because I'm one of the few fans of theirs. I was happy to see Seth Rollins doing some of the best work of his life with Brock and Cena. I was just happy to see them in the mix. I really don't think it's that weird, but I guess maybe I am different from most?

Bizazedo

It's irrelevant what any one person does. It's what the majority of the fans do. That's great that you like Dolph. I do, too. He's not a super big star anymore, though....and Reigns doesn't look like he has been accepted.

It's WWE's fault for that.

Yeah, that was REALLY bad and will require an unbelievable amount of coaching to overcome. I don't think he can do that. It was really bad and looked just...horrible. Confidence is everything.

I said it before, but I actually do feel really bad for Roman right now. I've never felt this sympathetic for a wrestler.

Ithil

But that's part of the story!

Well that famous screencap of his confused face after the "Deglar-Declare that at the Royal Rumble.........*blank*" is like him flashing back to all those "talk in front of the class and forget what you were supposed to say" schooldays. All the muscles and pretty hair disappear and he's just a kid out of his depth.

I distinctly remember one of the earliest Shield promos that was actually live in front of the crowd and not pre-taped, Ambrose was the only good one, Seth was super bad back then, but then poor Reigns looked ready to either throw up or shit himself at the thought of talking in front of these thousands of people, his voice was all cracking while doing the promo.

Some people just don't have the confidence, I mean even when he was a dorky Rocky Maivia, the Rock always believed in himself and had confidence. Same with Cena, even as a green generic babyface he never felt like he wasn't sure of himself.

Seth has managed to become a pretty good mic worker despite serious natural problems (namely his "NYEEH" squeaky voice), so it can be done. But this crowd rejection, it's not gonna be good for him.

Top Bottom