• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

XcsnkEp.png

#wrestlingconfessions

Kaladin

Nothing was wrong with it. It was just nearly perfect. Any complaint is nitpicky. Pacing was on point. Three huge stars. Great storytelling. Boots will rub his paws together and say "OHOOOOO BUT YOU HATE INDIE FINISHERS" but in this context, it made sense - since Bork is a finisher killer. And Cena is too, unfortunately. It was just about perfect. I loved it. Everyone that was over at my place loved it too. Seth made a believer out of many people.

Yeah, it was great but I wouldn't give it more than 4 stars. I fucking loved Rollins work in this too, it was his best match yet. That elbow drop to the spanish announce table was the best elbow drop in years.

kirblar

So the "size gap" matters when it's Bryan, but apparently the "fighting ability gap" doesn't matter when it's Reigns?

No one in WWE is believeable in a real fight against Brock, not one. But it's not a real fight, it's fake, so you can make whatever story you want.
Like Mysterio, Bryan will look like a ragdoll next to Lesnar. Mysterio/Lesnar had a good match. They also booked Mysterio to lose. It'd be a good match, but it's not the right one for them going forward. Doing SHIELD v Lesnar helps elevate those three guys way more- and they need that roster depth.

Because they've established Brock as a murderous monster that two men + J/J couldn't take down. I like Bryan, I just don't think that would be a good match for either guy, especially if they want to keep Brock protected.

what, keep him protected?

he's a monster, the biggest WWE has probably ever had, by design his kind of booking necessitates he be taken down by the ultimate underdog.

Brock is more than likely leaving, it's fucking Wrestlemania, this is THE perfect time to maximize Brock's godking booking than to finally make him lose against the biggest underdog in the world.

a 3 vs 1 is fucking terrible, Brock needs to be beaten clean 1 on 1, what a way to waste Brock's booking.

jmdajr

One thing that is funny about this though. And let's be honest here, most have been pretty sure Reigns was winning this Royal Rumble ever since Lesnar kept that title beyond Night of Champions, so I would've thought people should have been prepared to accept that outcome.

It's not like last year where you didn't know until Batista came back the week before, and pretty much said he's going to main event Wrestlemania, which meant he's going to win since he's Batista.

This time, you had a good four months to prepare yourselves emotionally.

Get ready for Roman Reigns to hold that title for over a year.

I wasn't prepared for Daniel Bryan to have such a poor showing though. I thought if Bryan made it to Rumble, he was going to have an HBK/Rey moment fighting till the end.

No controversy to the elimination either. If D. Bry is going to face Sheamus, why not have Sheamus eliminate him.

They had no Rumble storyline for him. It was just, well he's out, lets move on. No drama. Nothing. Sell the fucking elimination.

Kacho

Gold Member
Wait, what? She really asked him that?

I believe so. I'm going to watch it again when it goes up on the network. I was actually surprised to see that no one brought it up on the RR thread when it happened. Maybe I heard it wrong? I remember him sounding agitated in his response and then he went off the deep end just yelling stuff at the end of the show.

I forget the exact words she used but she said something to the effect that New Day were Booker T's guys or picks. Booker did look annoyed although he was most likely playing around.

Ah ok.

Kaiterra

Banned
This is an extreme comparison, but it's more about the point than the literal comparison. If you knew for months that someone was going to come into your house and shoot you in the kneecaps on a specific day, that doesn't make it any less shitty when it happens.

Yes, it's not a literal comparison. But the point remains the same.

And to make it even worse, Bryan's comeback and declaration for the Rumble added so much false hope that it made the moment that much more crushing.

Nothing was wrong with it. It was just nearly perfect. Any complaint is nitpicky. Pacing was on point. Three huge stars. Great storytelling. Boots will rub his paws together and say "OHOOOOO BUT YOU HATE INDIE FINISHERS" but in this context, it made sense - since Bork is a finisher killer. And Cena is too, unfortunately. It was just about perfect. I loved it. Everyone that was over at my place loved it too. Seth made a believer out of many people.

Yeah the context thing is important, Brock Lesnar taking that kind of punishment and coming back in a title match on the second biggest show of the year is different to a 105 pound dude taking it in the second match of Gym Wars 123.

jmdajr

Bryan could have lost to Brock at Mania, and then Good guy Brock would shake his hand. I think fans would have found that ok.

And to make it even worse, Bryan's comeback and declaration for the Rumble added so much false hope that it made the moment that much more crushing.

The Shattered Dreams on the tron when Goldust came out as Bryan was walking back was perfect.

They knew what they were doing.

Verendus

Banned
I wasn't prepared for Daniel Bryan to have such a poor showing though. I thought if Bryan made it to Rumble, he was going to have an HBK/Rey moment fighting till the end.

No controversy to the elimination either. If D. Bry is going to face Sheamus, why not have Sheamus eliminate him.

They had no Rumble storyline for him. It was just, well he's out, lets move on. No drama. Nothing. Sell the fucking elimination.
That is a legitimate complaint. Most people are complaining about him not winning though.

I was all ready for Bryan to be in there early, and be the Iron Man of the match. The way they booked him, and even Ambrose and Wyatt (although he looked better thanks to the early Rumble performance) was poor. They came out looking like jobbers.

1st. Booker T is crazy... legit crazy. Look at him when he talks to people... His eyes are always above them or behind them... never at them. That is a sign of an unstable person.

2nd... what we will see tonight is the new rumble with edited out boos and replaced with cheers for reigns.

Xater

That is a legitimate complaint.

I was all ready for Bryan to be in there early, and be the Iron Man of the match. The way they booked him, and even Ambrose and Wyatt (although he looked better thanks to the early Rumble performance) was poor. They came out looking like jobbers.

Kinda everyone came out of the a Rumble looking horrible. It was really badly booked.

Slizeezyc

What was wrong with it? Even Cena was spot on last night. I legit had no complaints with that match. Those two gave all they had to Lesnar and he shrugged it off like the beast he is.

My only complaint was it dragged just a smidge after Lesnar went through the table. Cena went sooooo often to FUs and made it look even crappier than it already is, but it's Cena so it kind of makes sense because he's smug enough to think if I just do it enough it will work.

PS, the most evil thing from last night was still R-Truth being considered D-Von because black people. Most Vince thing ever.

PPS, Kane and Big Show deleting all the future stars was just an amazing FU as well.

1st. Booker T is crazy... legit crazy. Look at him when he talks to people... His eyes are always above them or behind them... never at them. That is a sign of an unstable person.

2nd... what we will see tonight is the new rumble with edited out boos and replaced with cheers for reigns.
What does Booker being "legit crazy" have to do with Renee calling New Day "your guys"....allegedly.

jmdajr

That is a legitimate complaint. Most people are complaining about him not winning though.

All the fan favorites basically looked like crap.

Boots will rub his paws together and say "OHOOOOO BUT YOU HATE INDIE FINISHERS" but in this context, it made sense

There's often context in those indie matches that do the same thing, except most don't care to discover it, they'll just pile on with the usual complaints about indie wrestling. Also, I have paws now? I'm a human being, dammit! We have hands!

The way Meltzer was talking last night, WWE has no backup plan of Reigns doesn't work out as the guy. Like they put so much into him and convinced themselves that he's the one, and he's not working. He was saying with the way they think and what they think a top guy has to look like, they don't think of anyone in NXT who could be that guy.

Did you see how fast Bork got back in the ring to german Seth before the 3 count? that shit is scary.

The really interesting thing is that Brock was barely conscious at the time. His body instinctively knew that his title was in jeopardy and went on auto-pilot to german suplex the closest competitor.

So did Booker T get legit mad a Renee Young during the preshow when she asked if Booker T was upset because "his people" lost the match referring to New Day? I was cooking dinner at the time so I could only hear but he sounded pissed.

She said "These were your guys" referring to Booker T probably hyping them up like he usually does with some stars.

I don't think she ever said "your people" unless she brought it up again after.

Verendus

Banned
Kinda everyone came out of the a Rumble looking horrible. It was really badly booked.
Yeah, but most of the Rumble are jobbers anyway. They looked like crap going in, and like crap going out. But wrestlers like Bryan, Ambrose, Wyatt, and even Ziggler to an extent, should be better protected. The latter three were just carried and thrown out by Big Slow and Kane.

It's just a weird disconnect, because no one cares about Big Slow and Kane. If this was Brock Lesnar, or another top star like Cena or Triple H giving them issues and taking them out, it's one thing.

I think what hurts these past Royal Rumbles is that there aren't enough storylines going on. There needs to be a few going into the actual match so there is a bit of a story in the match itself. This way you can better book eliminations too so they have a bit of impact, and feel more logical. As it stands, Royal Rumble 2013 and 2014 are some of the most random Rumble matches I've seen. They're just all over the place with no direction. Compare that to 2001 for example. That Rumble is filled with many different things happening, and superstars with connected issues. It helps keep things interesting.

Basically, it comes back to the roster being shit and WWE not seemingly planning anything outside of the main event.

Hasney

One thing that is funny about this though. And let's be honest here, most have been pretty sure Reigns was winning this Royal Rumble ever since Lesnar kept that title beyond Night of Champions, so I would've thought people should have been prepared to accept that outcome.

It's not like last year where you didn't know until Batista came back the week before, and pretty much said he's going to main event Wrestlemania, which meant he's going to win since he's Batista.

This time, you had a good four months to prepare yourselves emotionally.

Get ready for Roman Reigns to hold that title for over a year.

Totally, but I thought we'd have a fun event up until that and see how they handle some situations to get to there. What happened is they didn't handle it and shit the bed making Reigns reaction even worse than if he had won a fun Rumble.

Top Bottom