• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Booker had just predicted New Day would win or talked about how good they were, Renee was just saying ''your prediction/hype has fallen short Booker''. She would never do anything wrong.

Xater

The way Meltzer was talking last night, WWE has no backup plan of Reigns doesn't work out as the guy. Like they put so much into him and convinced themselves that he's the one, and he's not working. He was saying with the way they think and what they think a top guy has to look like, they don't think of anyone in NXT who could be that guy.

Yep, they are idiots.

The really interesting thing is that Brock was barely conscious at the time. His body instinctively knew that his title was in jeopardy and went on auto-pilot to german suplex the closest competitor.

You know what? I buy that.

Live Smackdown on Thursday will be two hours. They will condense what they planned for tonight and use it on Thursday. Will probably make for a better show, honestly.

Ithil

XcsnkEp.png

"I think he's pretty so he's amazing"

Ithil

Like Mysterio, Bryan will look like a ragdoll next to Lesnar. Mysterio/Lesnar had a good match. They also booked Mysterio to lose. It'd be a good match, but it's not the right one for them going forward. Doing SHIELD v Lesnar helps elevate those three guys way more- and they need that roster depth.

Uh huh.

205fv3p.png

The way Meltzer was talking last night, WWE has no backup plan of Reigns doesn't work out as the guy. Like they put so much into him and convinced themselves that he's the one, and he's not working. He was saying with the way they think and what they think a top guy has to look like, they don't think of anyone in NXT who could be that guy.

So infuriating.

Look at all these other sports, movies, music, where the top guy is any size he wants to be.

The universal factor here is that they connect wildly with the fans.

What a bunch of nonsense that WWE doesn't have top guys.

Sephzilla

it's amazing that nobody came out of the Rumble looking good. Ziggler, Cesaro, Bray, Bryan, Ryback, Rusev, Ambrose, all got really unceremoniously eliminated. Even Roman didn't look good since he did practically nothing the whole match.

Kaladin

it's amazing that nobody came out of the Rumble looking good. Ziggler, Cesaro, Bray, Bryan, Ryback, Rusev, Ambrose, all got really unceremoniously eliminated. Even Roman didn't look good since he did practically nothing the whole match.

Even though they got dumped, I felt like Rusev and Bray came out looking good. They both had big performances.

Xater

And he even needed help to win it. Really terrible booking all around.

Verendus

Banned
Can I just point out that, whilst I don't agree with the argument of believability since it's all about creating a story, that this is actually quite a stupid comparison to make? Lesnar back then had already been tapped out, pinned, and was nowhere near the kind of monster he is today. Eddie also beat him by using a belt, and with Goldberg's assistance.

Lesnar is at cartoonish levels right now.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

It's time's like this I have trouble believing dirt sheet reports. John Cena looks like a gorilla with one of the easter island heads on his shoulder. Steve Austin wasn't winning any beauty contests either. How the hell are they this concerned with looks above all else? Is this pro wrestling or male modeling?

What's hilarious about the whole "top guy look" thing is that one of the biggest draws in boxing history and one of the current biggest draws in UFC are both 145 lbs.

Sephzilla

Even though they got dumped, I felt like Rusev and Bray came out looking good. They both had big performances.
They came out looking good in part because nobody else did. Bray dominated the early rumble and got tossed with very little fan fare. Rusev was out before they could really make it a big deal that he was still in it.

Toki767

It's time's like this I have trouble believing dirt sheet reports. John Cena looks like a gorilla with one of the easter island heads on his shoulder. Steve Austin wasn't winning any beauty contests either. How the hell are they this concerned with looks above all else? Is this pro wrestling or male modeling?

It's a near 70 year old Vince McMahon. All logic goes out the window.

Kaladin

They came out looking good in part because nobody else did. Bray dominated the early rumble and got tossed with very little fan fare. Rusev was out before they could really make it a big deal that he was still in it.

Yeah, that segment should have went at least five minutes, got some heat on Rusev before Reigns ultimately won.

Fox318

Gotta make Reigns look strong

It's not necessarily looks from a beauty standpoint. Size, muscles, that sort of thing. Looking good is just icing on the cake for them. Makes it easier to justify. Cena got over and was picked because, above all else, he has charisma. Same with Austin. Reigns doesn't.

Ithil

Can I just point out that, whilst I don't agree with the argument of believability since it's all about creating a story, that this is actually quite a stupid comparison to make? Lesnar back then had already been tapped out, pinned, and was nowhere near the kind of monster he is today. Eddie also beat him by using a belt, and with Goldberg's assistance.

So hit him with three consecutive Knees or whatever. I'm pretty sure Bryan and Lesnar could figure out how a match should be done.

That's the sad part, even if Lesnar leaves for MMA and comes back in a few years, things will be different. We will probably never see Bryan vs Lesnar, ever, now, just another missed opportunity.

jmdajr

Yeah, but most of the Rumble are jobbers anyway. They looked like crap going in, and like crap going out. But wrestlers like Bryan, Ambrose, Wyatt, and even Ziggler to an extent, should be better protected. The latter three were just carried and thrown out by Big Slow and Kane.

It's just a weird disconnect, because no one cares about Big Slow and Kane. If this was Brock Lesnar, or another top star like Cena or Triple H giving them issues and taking them out, it's one thing.

I think what hurts these past Royal Rumbles is that there aren't enough storylines going on. There needs to be a few going into the actual match so there is a bit of a story in the match itself. This way you can better book eliminations too so they have a bit of impact, and feel more logical. As it stands, Royal Rumble 2013 and 2014 are some of the most random Rumble matches I've seen. They're just all over the place with no direction. Compare that to 2001 for example. That Rumble is filled with many different things happening, and superstars with connected issues. It helps keep things interesting.

Basically, it comes back to the roster being shit and WWE not seemingly planning anything outside of the main event.

Yeah old school Rumbles are multiple stories within.

And it will only take one spear. Bele dat.

It's a shame he's leaving, so much fun to watch.

I actually really like that he's such a spectacle that is deserving only of PPVs.

Seeing the title around his waist also just looks like such a special moment. Big giant WWE logo on this big giant dude. That effect is lost if he's on every week.

jred2k

What's hilarious about the whole "top guy look" thing is that one of the biggest draws in boxing history and one of the current biggest draws in UFC are both 145 lbs.

To be fair, MMA and boxing have weight classes. Mayweather would look silly in a fight with a guy like Lennox Lewis.

Imagine being Zayn, knowing you're getting called up sometime this year, and knowing that when you are you will either go nowhere, or go everywhere and be booed for it for the crime of not being a 34 year old with a bad neck or a 37 year old with a bad neck or a scrub with no back

Marvel

could never
I actually really like that he's such a spectacle that is deserving only of PPVs.

Seeing the title around his waist also just looks like such a special moment. Big giant WWE logo on this big giant dude. That effect is lost if he's on every week.

Damn right.

Prize Fighter.

Finn Fucking Balor.

Thorakai

So hit him with three consecutive Knees or whatever. I'm pretty sure Bryan and Lesnar could figure out how a match should be done.

That's the sad part, even if Lesnar leaves for MMA and comes back in a few years, things will be different. We will probably never see Bryan vs Lesnar, ever, now, just another missed opportunity.

This is what breaks my heart. Its gonna be relegated to some crappy simulation in WWE2Kshit series.

To be fair, MMA and boxing have weight classes. Mayweather would look silly in a fight with a guy like Lennox Lewis.

Wrestling is worked for a reason. So you can manipulate the outcome and get the guys over that draw money, irrelevant of size or other limiting factors. If boxing was worked, or more worked I guess, than you can guarantee Mayweather would go over guys bigger than him. Why? Because he draws.

Ithil

The Rumble in theory is meant to have one main storyline running through it, be it Flair or Benoit going iron man, or Kane going wild, whatever. Then it's meant to have other stories to set up Mania matches, like Kurt/HBK.
Then of course it's meant to be paced to have lots of big spots and memorable bits, and keep all the top guys strong and perhaps get them into angles with each other.

This one had, uh, none of that.

Daniel Bryan ‏@WWEDanielBryan 20s21 seconds ago
Thanks to all of you for your support, not just last night but for years. You guys are the best, and I am truly the luckiest man alive.

Toki767

Imagine being Zayn, knowing you're getting called up sometime this year, and knowing that when you are you will either go nowhere, or go everywhere and be booed for it for the crime of not being a 34 year old with a bad neck or a 37 year old with a bad neck or a scrub with no back

Zayn is not going to get booed. He'll basically be Bryan all over again.

Xater

No one boos Zayn because he's actually good. He is a fantastic wrestler and can cut a promo. Both things you can't say about Reigns.

Foffy

Banned

It should tell you how out of touch the company really is with the world they're in.

In hilarious news, while the WWE Network crashed due to mass cancellations, apparently NJPW World crashed due to mass subscriptions. Was there a campaign last night to promote the current top alternative to WWE?

Top Bottom