• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

MC Safety

What sense does it make to not "train your replacement" so to speak, and give someone some added prestige as opposed to keeping it to yourself?

Well, it was very nice of The Undertaker to train Brock Lesnar for his six contractually obligated appearances, two of which he may actually, you know, wrestle in.

Ric Flair "put over" the up-and-coming neophyte Shawn Michaels.

Hulk Hogan ended his career like the code demands, losing to Lesnar, who left for UFC and The Rock who came back in between Hollywood paychecks.

The Rock passed the torch to John Cena, a man who came out of nowhere to win the WWE Heavyweight championship.

I can't wait until John Cena gets to give back to wrestling by getting pinned by Harley Race.

The code precludes a wrestler ending a career with a win, and that's dumb. The code as it stands now works to promote wrestlers who don't need any promotion, and that's dumb, too.

As I said, the carny code is dumb.

Fox318

Shield broke up at the perfect time and I'll take that to my grave

except their only idea was to push Reigns.

Rollins was a happy accident in their minds.

Hell they wanted the breakup at rumble with Reigns overpowering the other two and tossing them out like they were nothing.

Sephzilla

Well, it was very nice of The Undertaker to train Brock Lesnar for his six contractually obligated appearances, two of which he may actually, you know, wrestle in.

Ric Flair "put over" the up-and-coming neophyte Shawn Michaels.

Hulk Hogan ended his career like the code demands, losing to Lesnar, who left for UFC and The Rock who came back in between Hollywood paychecks.

The Rock passed the torch to John Cena, a man who came out of nowhere to win the WWE Heavyweight championship.

I can't wait until John Cena gets to give back to wrestling by getting pinned by Harley Race.

The code precludes a wrestler ending a career with a win, and that's dumb. The code as it stands now works to promote wrestlers who don't need any promotion, and that's dumb, too.

As I said, the carny code is dumb.

Yeah part of the problem with the "put someone over on the way out" code is that most big stars end up simply putting over talent that doesn't need to be put over anymore.

-Bret Hart didn't need to put over HBK before heading to WCW.
-HBK didn't really need to put over Austin.
-Austin didn't need to put over Rock.
-Hogan didn't need to put over Brock.
-HBK was already at the end of his career by the time Flair needed to lay down.
-Rock didn't need to put over Cena.
-Taker didn't need to put over Brock.

jmdajr

Well no one really put's someone over until they lay down for the 123 and give up the strap.

I mean you can have matches before showing they can wrestle, or after to legitimizing the champs.

But in the end, that's the deal.

tumblr_mn2knrnG6V1rt4k5qo2_250.gif

Sure, it's probably a fake.

hqdefault.jpg

But between the WWE's idiotic planning and mishaps with timing its advertising right, isn't it just plausible enough? That's what would make it a good fake.

I'm definitely tempted to swing my Times Square to see if the billboard is there.

If you would have told me as a kid that I'd love Triple H and find Mick Foley unbearable in 2015, I would not have believed you.

Striker

Rock's has had a couple exits and returns, but the notable ones were putting over Lesnar at SummerSlam '02 and that one match with Goldberg at Backlash '03. At least Bill had something going for him until he met, well, you know.

Sure, it's probably a fake.

hqdefault.jpg

But between the WWE's idiotic planning and mishaps with timing its advertising right, isn't it just plausible enough? That's what would make it a good fake.

I'm definitely tempted to swing my Times Square to see if the billboard is there.

Nah. All plausibility goes out the window when the billboard doesn't even have the right goddamn logo.

Just throwing this out there too - I think Chris Jericho has kind of ruined the "old legend coming back to put someone over" thing a bit. Jericho for what feels like the last 6 fucking years has been a guy who returns, loses to some younger guy, and then vanishes for 5 months before returning to do it again.

Sure Mick Foley didn't cover that ground already?

Top Bottom