• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

I like this Wade Keller's idea from Austin's podcast for salvaging Reigns.

Reigns vs Brock @ WM

Heyman stabs Brock, sides with Reigns to win the title. Reigns turns heel.

Hot-shotting Heyman to anyone is not a cure-all. Reigns turning heel would be a good step but he still shouldn't be main eventing.

Kaladin

I've been waiting for a champ to be able to do that. Invade the Rumble at some point....pick some poor jobber and say "You want a title shot? Stay with me." and work with them to throw everyone out of the match.

They never stop illegal participants from entering the ring, so it's perfectly plausible that it would happen.

Brock would be the perfect guy to do it.

Actually.....they could have done this with Brock and Roman....have Brock go in, protect Roman because he thinks nothing of Roman and that he would be an easy win. Then you'd have the makings of a perfect underdog story with Roman who was handpicked by Brock Lesnar as his Wrestlemania opponent going against all odds. This wouldn't have got everyone on Roman's side, but they could change the narrative to "Brock picked him as his opponent for Wrestlemania, can Roman defy the odds?"

Stuff from Meltzer:

872k United States (which includes foreign VPN sign-ups), 128K Foreign Subscribers.

Free November gave them the biggest boost. They saw a boost for the Rumble, and a small boost even yesterday for whatever reason you want to say.

They're still below expectations (which would be 1.25 Million steady-state).

Now the question is if they can sustain a number month-to-month after Mania.

Meltzer:

''Not many people cancelled, in fact the opposite''

''Post Rumble was strong''

''Sign ups far greater than cancelled''

There you have it?

Toki767

The 'WE GOT ONE MILLION SUBSCRIBERS!" patting on the back just seems WAY too coincidental after the backlash of the Rumble and #CancelWWENetwork.

I WANT TO SEE THE RECEIPTS, VINCE!

I feel like they've gotten 1 million different people to subscribe. Just...not at the same time or something.

The more telling number will be in May/June anyway.

Kaladin

Meltzer:

There you have it?

10071156_hi

Same philosophy with Roman.

Sou Da

It's always fun when you're looking for matches online and you find some, but you read the title and the description... And it's not outright obvious, but you begin to piece it together and realize that it's a sexual thing for the person uploading it.

Sometimes it's really obvious though.

3 minutes of Tom Zenk getting beat up set to Olivia Newton John. Pixiv and DeviantArt could learn a thing or two from the old timers.

What?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Meltzer:

There you have it?
How is that possible with the ppv shown on tv free?

I could buy sign ups pre rumble being far greater than cancellations. But post? The fuck?

miserable

Yeah, that was 2010.

That Rumble had some good people in there, but not a lot was really happening outside of that brief CM Punk bit, and the Shawn Michaels thing. It was okay.

2008 had a lot of stuff happening, but more importantly, I think Undertaker, and to a lesser extent Batista and Shawn Michaels, did a good job of keeping things going. Undertaker especially put in some work in that match. He was constantly fighting different guys or picking up the pace here and there. Then you had a final boost at the end with Triple H's entrance, Cena's surprise return, and the final three between Cena, Triple H, and Batista.

It's a lot better booked than these past Rumbles, which are basically huge jobber affairs without any direction.

don't forget, the 2008 Royal Rumble was the birthplace of Jeff Harvey

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Aiii

So not worth it
Meltzer:

There you have it?

Rumble attracted short term buys, that will leave once Mania is gone and done.

What they need to hope for is subscribers sticking around after Mania. I cancelled my sub in December, came back for the Rumble, but cancelled after again. Will get Mania (mostly for the Hall of Fame Induction, which I wouldn't want to miss at any cost), but we'll have to see for how long I'll stick around after that unless they put on some really strong shows.

Yep. The key and hard part is keeping and growing that number post-Mania. Good luck.

And of course, this was mostly a PR move because of all the bad publicity from yesterday.

Kaladin

Actually, the people that know will stick around through Extreme Rules, for the Mania rematches that are often better because of a stip.

Some people upload wrestling matches because they like wrestling matches.

Other people upload them because they fetishize it.

I encountered this searching for Reggie Bennett matches in the past, she seems to draw a certain crowd. Also, when I used to upload matches there was one dude who always bugged me to upload Candy Okutsu matches because he was obsessed with her feet.

Fox318

Stuff from Meltzer:

872k United States (which includes foreign VPN sign-ups), 128K Foreign Subscribers.

Free November gave them the biggest boost. They saw a boost for the Rumble, and a small boost even yesterday for whatever reason you want to say.

They're still below expectations (which would be 1.25 Million steady-state).

Now the question is if they can sustain a number month-to-month after Mania.

just put on matches people want to see.

Not Bryan vs DEMON KANE

JavyOO7

When the Vince .gif is wrestling related, they are pretty funny for the most part. When its related to other stuff, not so much.

I don't think that is true. Who said that? I heard cumulative is all that mattered.

Just me being obnoxious. =p

But, they did mention they had failed to meet the 1 million mark with the 660k+ number. WWEN had no launched anywhere yet except for USA. To me it seems like they were aiming for 1 million domestically when WM30 was around the corner. They didn't reach that. Supposedly they now have. But I still think they should strive to hit 1 million in USA. So they could break even on their WWENetwork investment.

http://www.businessinsider.com/vince-mcmahons-wwe-network-plan-impodes-2014-5

Not that I feel any hashtag would see great follow-through, but how much of this is coming out of Meltzer's ass? When you cancel, you're still on board until your subscription period ends. How does he know who's really gone?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
click on the stone cold podcast expecting Rumble thoughts, I get stories about spare keys and racoons

whut?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I encountered this searching for Reggie Bennett matches in the past, she seems to draw a certain crowd.
It's probably just Sunny.
Q5MZ16G.gif

A lot of them I get. Like a young gay dude grew up watching Kerry Von Erich, Rick Rude, or Rick Martel, I understand why you might look at wrestling in that way though I don't like the sexualization of any wrestling when it's unintentional(men or women. it's one thing out of the ring or when the wrestler is purposefully being 'provocative' but another when it's just people having a match.)

But the big culprits of these kinds of videos are not who you expect: Arn Anderson, Natural Disasters, Yokozuna, Rikishi, Rick Steiner(I kinda expected that one though). You gotta do you, but it's just very ... eye opening to realize how different people can watch wrestling for very different things. Especially when you see the contrast in the comments, 'I loved Yokozuna as a kid' 5 minutes ago, 'I love watching Yoko crush jobbers with his big ass' 5 months ago, you think 'huh that's a little weird but I guess they just worded it wrong. Next video 'I wish Yoko would crush me with his ass' ok no I know what this is.

Top Bottom