• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

scabro

tumblr_nitu8bqGY71qa1x28o3_250.gif

anyone else get kinda nervous whenever Seth lands on his feet doing pretty much anything?

His knees always look mega shaky to me. Brace yourselves for his ACL going one of these days.

Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.

Vylash

Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.
What are the odds of the #Darewolf showing up

What are the odds of the #Darewolf showing up

No idea, I guess it'd depend on how well he does on the indies, or if someone like Albert hooked him up with a contact. Romero & Anderson have a small role in recommending gaijin talent and New Japan do like an ex-WWE guy so they can say "exuuu dubyu dubyu e supastah" on commentary repeatedly.

Aiii

So not worth it

And all for 999 yen, fuck me that's a lot of wrestling.

Alucard

Banned
Been a week without writing about wrestling. Got to watch Alien and have been exercising a bit more in the evenings. Life is better, friends.

Ithil

So, honest question.

Why do most people have a problem with roman reigns winning the rumble?

It blatantly went against what the audience wanted and was just what the owner wanted to see.

Also, Reigns's second ever PPV singles match in his career is going to be his WM main event where he beats Lesnar for for the WWE title and is crowned the new face of th company. I think anyone can see the issue there.

Hasney

Ryback with a scripted promo or wrestling is shit.

Ryback himself is great. They should just let him go out there and do straight shootin' with The Big Guy.

Alucard

Banned
It blatantly went against what the audience wanted and was just what the owner wanted to see.

Also, Reigns's second ever PPV singles match in his career is going to be his WM main event where he beats Lesnar for for the WWE title and is crowned the new face of th company. I think anyone can see the issue there.

At the same time, as wrestling fans we complain about the WWE not making new stars, and this is their attempt at doing that. Have they done a good job of getting to this point? Absolutely not, but it hasn't been all their fault. Unfortunately for Roman, he was out for a bit after his hernia surgery. Who knows what matches they could have had him wrestle at TLC and Survivor Series if he weren't injured? The surgery stalled his momentum a bit. Regardless of that though, he's had at least three embarrassing promos. (Superman, suffering succotash, Jack and the beanstalk) He went from being the brooding badass to a jokey and hokey face that splits the crowd.

Ithil

At the same time, as wrestling fans we complain about the WWE not making new stars, and this is their attempt at doing that. Have they done a good job of getting to this point? Absolutely not, but it hasn't been all their fault. Unfortunately for Roman, he was out for a bit after his hernia surgery. Who knows what matches they could have had him wrestle at TLC and Survivor Series if he weren't injured? The surgery stalled his momentum a bit. Regardless of that though, he's had at least three embarrassing promos. (Superman, suffering succotash, Jack and the beanstalk) He went from being the brooding badass to a jokey and hokey face that splits the crowd.

I think when folks ask for new stars they are also asking for good new stars.

Hasney

All they have to do is actually give the mid-card a program and see the cream that rises to the top. It's that simple, but they're too busy jobbing out champions in non-title matches for reasons.

Ithil

They think he's better at comedy than being serious. Which I mean to be fair, look at the gifs in the past 2 pages, and stuff like "what? it's for charity", and you won't find a lot of contrary evidence.

Well yeah, Ambrose is funny, he delivers a lot of these horrible comedy lines in such a way that it ends up getting a laugh. But he's great at serious promos too, yet WWE have made him into a wacky comedy midcarder instead of the "psycho" type he started as.
And given his progression from HIAC to the Rumble, I don't think anyone would argue he wasn't dumped down the card for pretty much no reason other than "Reigns is back".

Fox318

But guys also want to see midcarders elevated.

HHH, Rock, and Austin all had midcard storylines.

Outside of the Shield what did Reigns have?

And he wasn't booked as a monster like lesnar.

Reigns should have won the King of The Ring.

Alucard

Banned
I think when folks ask for new stars they are also asking for good new stars.

Roman has some of the tools and is able to get over. Let's not pretend we didn't love him 18 months ago when he was tearing things up with Dean and Seth. He has the physical charisma. He has his 3 trademark spots. (Superman punch, spear, apron kick) He has his finisher signal, which admittedly looks pretty badass. (Looks to the sky and yells "OOOOOOHHHH!" with his fists clenched and his back arched) Heck, he has two of them, as he's also got the Superman punch setup on one knee. He also has an imitable and easily-identifiable pose when he puts his fist out in front of him or just holds it up in the air. However, he's still missing some key ingredients.

For one, he hasn't found his voice. This is partly a result of the writing, but also a result of his delivery. Secondly, he hasn't shown that he can consistently work great or even good singles matches. In general, we don't really know what he has in his war crate. I'm hoping we'll get to see him debut something new at Fast Lane or Wrestlemania. Maybe a submission of some sort, though that doesn't really fit with his smash-mouth character. Finally, and this is totally a result of the writing as well as the unfortunate timing of his hernia, his current push doesn't feel earned, but forced.

Still, I like the guy for the reasons listed in the first paragraph. I just wish his rise to the top was given at least another year.

All they have to do is actually give the mid-card a program and see the cream that rises to the top. It's that simple, but they're too busy jobbing out champions in non-title matches for reasons.

To be fair, Ziggler's had a lot of chances and he's fucked them up with poor social media use or booking himself for comedy shows. He also had a really unfortunately timed concussion. Barrett seemed to be getting a push, but then got injured by Swagger. Cesaro thinks the ring has four ropes. Ambrose is definitely a victim of shitty booking choices, though. Who else is there?

The WWE has done some things right over the past year. The buildup of Rusev has been nearly perfect. Where he goes after his current gimmick is anyone's guess. Hopefully not into Bray Wyatt-ville post-Cena. Seth Rollins has also been a revelation. I think the majority in here would agree that he's been positioned and protected quite well, at least in a way that makes sense for his character. Brock, minus the Cena bullshit at NoC and too much time off after that PPV, has also been booked strong. Mizdow has also been a slow burn that has been really fun to watch, though they did miss a chance to have a more meaningful confrontation at the Rumble. Still, when they do finally face off, it's going to feel like a big time event that gets a huge pop, probably at Wrestlemania.

T.A.L

It's as simple as letting the crowd decide who they want. Not them forcing us to like him cuz Vince has a hard on for him. They never pull the trigger on people that are organically getting a following. I thought this shit was fixed after WMXXX but the immediate booking of DBry after WM shows that this will forever be about who they want not who we want

Sephzilla

ACTIVE FAV FIVE
1) Sami Zayn
2) Seth Rollins
3) The reigning defending WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar
4) Finn Balor
5) Rusev

T.A.L

They did it right with Batista. If only they would have copied that same booking with him turning with Rollins and the big turn later after Rollins ascended, this would be a conversation. All of it seems rushed and most likely is.

I mean if everything happened like it did but reigns and rollins turned on Ambrose. Let Seth do his thing , win mitb, become the man with Reigns as his shield. Reigns , rollins thumbs up thumbs down moment boom, Reigns is made.

Top Bottom