• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

UberTag

Roman should be a new taker not a new cena imho
2013_11_28_017.gif

kiguel182

One of the biggest Reigns problems is that he doesn't have a story.

Winning the Rumble isn't, in and out of itself, a story. Reigns had no story coming in the Rumble and now the only thing he has is "I want to be champion" and that, just that, isn't really enough.

Reings looks cool and has potential but he is being hot shoted to the main event of Mania and there's no way around that. It's not even his fault, they are just handling him really poorly.

kiguel182

They did it right with Batista. If only they would have copied that same booking with him turning with Rollins and the big turn later after Rollins ascended, this would be a conversation. All of it seems rushed and most likely is.

I mean if everything happened like it did but reigns and rollins turned on Ambrose. Let Seth do his thing , win mitb, become the man with Reigns as his shield. Reigns , rollins thumbs up thumbs down moment boom, Reigns is made.

Batista's build was really great. They really should've just copied it with Reigns and now things would be making a ton more sense. Especially since Reigns would be with the authority so he would have a reason to be at odds with Lesnar.

ACTIVE FAV FIVE
1) Sami Zayn
2) Seth Rollins
3) The reigning defending WWE World Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar
4) Finn Balor
5) Rusev

Quality list.

Winning the Rumble isn't, in and out of itself, a story. Reigns had no story coming in the Rumble and now the only thing he has is "I want to be champion" and that, just that, isn't really enough.

Reings looks cool and has potential but he is being hot shoted to the main event of Mania and there's no way around that. It's not even his fault, they are just handling him really poorly.

I was talking with my friend about this yesterday. They've created no narrative arc for why we would want to cheer for Reigns going into the Rumble or into Mania to fight for the championship. The reason so many people wanted Bryan to win is that he just happened to have an interesting narrative setup due to his circumstances. He was champ. He was on top of the world. Then he lost it all due to an injury. It's natural to want to see him succeed and recapture the glory he had one year ago. The David vs. Goliath story only helps things.

Reigns really has nothing. If Rollins had won the championship, there would be something to work with at least. The last shot could have been Rollins coming out and staring down new Rumble winner Reigns. That would have been... something.

UberTag

Ryback with a scripted promo or wrestling is shit.

Ryback himself is great. They should just let him go out there and do straight shootin' with The Big Guy.
If you're suggesting he should look into color commentary, I'm not disagreeing with you.

I still remember that one promo between HHH, Orton and someone else (probably Batista) where they said "Roman Reigns" every third or fourth word. Like they were trying as hard as possible to drive this name into the skulls of everyone watching. He'll probably just end up being another Sheamus or Del Rio, pushed way too fast without being given the chance to actually work on his skills and getting over organically. Shit, just look at what they did to Ryback.

If you're suggesting he should look into color commentary, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Ryback, Big Show and William Regal on commentary, with Vince placed in a straitjacket and kept as far away from the headset as possible. Let's do this shit.

Ithil

Roman has some of the tools and is able to get over. Let's not pretend we didn't love him 18 months ago when he was tearing things up with Dean and Seth.
I've said it before, I've never liked Reigns, right back to FCW days. So that part does nothing for me. I liked the Shield, I never liked Reigns himself, and I always saw exactly where they were going with him. I was bored of his "LOLSPEARIWIN" by the start of 2013.

Ambrose was the guy to go with. There's no excuse there, he could talk, he could wrestle, he's tall, he has a great look, he's not a troublemaker, he's very, very different from Cena. Yet he was booked to be a loser for no reason of his. If that doesn't tell you they already made up their mind based on some dumbass view of "well he looks like this so he should be a star" and their performance isn't taken into account, nothing will.

Sephzilla

I'd be okay with the story simply being Reigns won the Rumble so now he's about to fight Lesnar. Because I'm 100% cool with storylines that are simply two people who want to be the best. The real problem isn't that Roman doesn't have a story, it's that he doesn't have a character.

Roman has some of the tools and is able to get over. Let's not pretend we didn't love him 18 months ago when he was tearing things up with Dean and Seth.

Who's "we"? Ambrose and Rollins were always the standouts of The Shield for me, there were some moments were I enjoyed Reigns' work, and that was mainly during matches that were already awesome to begin with, like the EC match against the Wyatts. Personally I wasn't a fan of how they were already blatantly trying to place the spotlight squarely on Reigns.

Striker

To be fair, Ziggler's had a lot of chances and he's fucked them up with poor social media use or booking himself for comedy shows. He also had a really unfortunately timed concussion.
What chances has he had outside the ADR/Ziggler feud that resulted up in ending too early due to Jack Swagger being careless with a ladder? He was never properly pushed ahead of anything midcard, aside from a rare B-PPV where he could look good, but they follow it up with absolutely nothing.

Using the excuses of social media and going to comedy shows is lame. They never want to push him above anywhere they originally had. But certain guys get way more opportunities, whether due to a certain higher up liking him or his name. Note: a proper reason to de-push is someone like Swagger; remember when he won the EC match above guys like Kane, Orton, Henry, Bryan, and Jericho, but eventually lost to ADR at 'Mania because he was arrested prior to it. Not some frivolously stuff like social media.

UberTag

I'd be okay with the story simply being Reigns won the Rumble so now he's about to fight Lesnar. Because I'm 100% cool with storylines that are simply two people who want to be the best. The real problem isn't that Roman doesn't have a story, it's that he doesn't have a character.
I'll actually disagree with that last point.
He DOES have a character.
His character is that he's the next John Cena and he was born into this role because he's related to a bunch of other Samoans.
And you can bet that Heyman will do his damnedest to develop that into even more of a story heading into their Mania match even if it's one he has to tell entirely himself.
The benefit with Paul is that he'll be given the freedom and flexibility to do just that while Roman is effectively only trusted to regurgitate terrible lines Vince writes for him.

Sephzilla

I'll actually disagree with that last point.
He DOES have a character.
His character is that he's the next John Cena and he was born into this role because he's related to a bunch of other Samoans.
And you can bet that Heyman will do his damnedest to develop that into even more of a story heading into their Mania match even if it's one he has to tell entirely himself.
The benefit with Paul is that he'll be given the freedom and flexibility to do just that while Roman is effectively only trusted to regurgitate terrible lines Vince writes for him.

But Cena actually has some defining characteristics. Roman really doesn't.

Alucard

Banned
What chances has he had outside the ADR/Ziggler feud that resulted up in ending too early due to Jack Swagger being careless with a ladder? He was never properly pushed ahead of anything midcard, aside from a rare B-PPV where he could look good, but they follow it up with absolutely nothing.

Using the excuses of social media and going to comedy shows is lame. They never want to push him above anywhere they originally had. But certain guys get way more opportunities, whether due to a certain higher up liking him or his name. Note: a proper reason to de-push is someone like Swagger; remember when he won the EC match above guys like Kane, Orton, Henry, Bryan, and Jericho, but eventually lost to ADR at 'Mania because he was arrested prior to it. Not some frivolously stuff like social media.

If I went to twitter to complain about my place in the company I work for, and all of my co-workers and bosses had access to this, I'd fully expect to be treated differently by my bosses and some of my co-workers. It's the same principle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.
Sounds like Suguira is a lock!!

Striker

If I went to twitter to complain about my place in the company I work for, and all of my co-workers and bosses had access to this, I'd fully expect to be treated differently by my bosses and some of my co-workers. It's the same principle.
Only thing I noticed was his harmless jabs at Cena and Miz, the characters they play. Nothing is personal, which is where it would be if you did so in a normal workplace. It is just a lame excuse to say "See? This is why he's never pushed!". We have seen guys getting arrested, having terrible backstage attitude problems, caught with weed, etc. and their run continues.

They want him right where he's always been. Just like Reigns is heading to Cena 2.0 despite there being no rhyme or reason other than just because.

kiguel182

Quality list.

I was talking with my friend about this yesterday. They've created no narrative arc for why we would want to cheer for Reigns going into the Rumble or into Mania to fight for the championship. The reason so many people wanted Bryan to win is that he just happened to have an interesting narrative setup due to his circumstances. He was champ. He was on top of the world. Then he lost it all due to an injury. It's natural to want to see him succeed and recapture the glory he had one year ago. The David vs. Goliath story only helps things.

Reigns really has nothing. If Rollins had one the championship, there would be something to work with at least. The last shot could have been Rollins coming out and staring down new Rumble winner Reigns. That would have been... something.

Exactly. At least there would be a story. A reason for us to care. Currently there isn't. And I'm sure they'll create something but it doesn't feel natural at all. And trying to make the Authority "hate him" is just a lazy way to fit a narrative there.

They didn't chose Reigns because they have a good story to tell, an interesting idea in mind or because he was chosen be fans. They picked him because he looks good and that's a big reason why it's hard to buy any of it.

I still remember that one promo between HHH, Orton and someone else (probably Batista) where they said "Roman Reigns" every third or fourth word. Like they were trying as hard as possible to drive this name into the skulls of everyone watching. He'll probably just end up being another Sheamus or Del Rio, pushed way too fast without being given the chance to actually work on his skills and getting over organically. Shit, just look at what they did to Ryback.

Ryback, Big Show and William Regal on commentary, with Vince placed in a straitjacket and kept as far away from the headset as possible. Let's do this shit.

Yeah, I remember those times. How they focused on Reigns during the Shield feud when he had done nothing the other two hadn't done. But of course "Reigns, Reigns, Reigns". Just way too forced.

Sephzilla

It says something that Ambrose, despite pretty much being shit on since the Shield breakup, has been outshining Roman and is seemingly more over than Roman.

Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.

ZACK SABRE ZACK SABRE ZACK SABRE ZACK SABRE ZACK SABRE

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

220px-Daisuke_Sekimoto.JPG

Roman is on the Sam Roberts podcast this week. It definitely reinforces the presumption that they should just let him be himself.

Sam better not judge him as only wrestlers may judge Roman. And all wrestlers love Roman Reigns.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not wrestling related, anyone else think that Ghostbusters reboot is going to tank so fucking hard?

Hey, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, at least they're actually doing something interesting, instead of just a generic reboot a la Total Recall and Robocop.

Besides, I loved Bridesmaids, so this might actually be pretty funny.

Sephzilla

I'm one of those people who thinks I don't really have an accent but then I catch myself dropping "ya-know" instead of "you know" and "yah" instead of "yeah" occasionally (from Wisconsin).

Hey, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, at least they're actually doing something interesting, instead of just a generic reboot a la Total Recall and Robocop.

Besides, I loved Bridesmaids, so this might actually be pretty funny.

I just think the movie is going to fall apart without the original cast. Murray/Akroyd/Ramis/Hudson carried that movie.

ghostmind

Holy shit.

Goodbye sleep schedule...

Cagey

Banned
Roman is on the Sam Roberts podcast this week. It definitely reinforces the presumption that they should just let him be himself.

"The company's gonna do what they wanna do, the fans are gonna do what they wanna do, and at the end of the day... hopefully I'm just a guy getting rich."

They ain't ready for Dickbag Roman Reigns.

Sephzilla

"The company's gonna do what they wanna do, the fans are gonna do what they wanna do, and at the end of the day... hopefully I'm just a guy getting rich."

Hmm.

I could actually see Roman inheriting the Douchetista gimmick and making it work

I'm one of those people who thinks I don't really have an accent but then I catch myself dropping "ya-know" instead of "you know" and "yah" instead of "yeah" occasionally (from Wisconsin).

I just think the movie is going to fall apart without the original cast. Murray/Akroyd/Ramis/Hudson carried that movie.

If the movie's good, it'll be successful. I don't think the older movies will affect it that much, willing to bet a lot of kids haven't even seen it and think of it as some old geezer shit.

Hasney

That's not dickbag, I respect that. I'd love that kind of attitude.

Just need Regal on colour pointing out to us that the winner of the fight gets a larger share of the purse.

XenoRaven

So let's say Brock does a dream match tour after Wrestlemania where he faces one guy a month for five months? Who would you guys choose to have him face?

I'd go with:

Randy Orton
Cesaro
Daniel Bryan
Rusev
Bray Wyatt

I'm going to cheat my own list and add Ambrose and Harper as honorable mentions.

Sephzilla

If the movie's good, it'll be successful. I don't think the older movies will affect it that much, willing to bet a lot of kids haven't even seen it and think of it as some old geezer shit.

A few of my younger cousins saw Ghostbusters for the first time sometime last summer and loved it. Outside of one or two flimsy special effects, the original Ghostbusters holds up to the test of time pretty well. It doesn't rely on too many things that would date it or anything.

rrc1594

Just watched MITB 2011 Orton Vs. Christian. I know that wrestling is fake and all, but fuck that ain't nobody spitting in my face. That shit was gross

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dying Light is preventing the rest of my NOAH review.

But also it's because the last three matches are two six mans and a 8 man tag.
And those might as well be non-matches to me.

Top Bottom